Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

JacquelineDempsey posted:

In case anyone wants some context for this (dunno about you, but I always learn some cool poo poo from this thread, of all places)... on a military base, when they raise the flag at Reveille (0630) or lower it for The Colors (1700), if you're outside, you're expected to stop whatever you're doing, face the direction of the flag, and just stand there. I'm a civilian contractor for KP, and this confused the hell out of me when I first started night shifts --- literally, all traffic on base stops at 1700, and people get out of their cars to salute a flag they can't even see. So yeah, this poor KP dude got caught taking the garbage out in the cold when they started playing The Colors, and that's why he's freezing his rear end off. Been there, done that. :smith:
It freaked out Robin Williams once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD9QAAEfQEA

Mary Worth

If I didn't know better, I might think they were talking about Tommy after he died after a long battle with addiction.

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

"Everyone can use the typewriter." How much clearer can she be, X-9?

Apartment 3-G

"I saw the wire hangers. You know the rules, Mary."

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

This storyline is the gift that keeps on giving. :allears:

9 Chickweed Lane

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Frog Applause

Scott Adams? Or a more obscure comics artist? It sounds like the sort of thing Scott Adams would do.

quote:

ORMouseworks said, 1 day ago
Well, I am guessing Luann and family and friends have never been through a Coast storm…OK here (leaves and tree branches everywhere!), but Manzanita is a mess. They had a nasty tornado that tore up part of the town. Luann and family and friends live in a rather boring town weather-wise, don’t they?! Well, at least everything is still in One Piece in Pitts!

The manzanita reference makes me think this person is talking about the storm we just had on the west coast. Yeah, it was a big storm. The weather was lovely for a few days. But it wasn't so bad you have to fish for pity in a Luann comment section, for crying out loud. Heavy wind and rain, but hardly insurmountable.

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

One of the best relationships in comics. This is what real people do.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Wait, is Spider-Man actually doing something heroic?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That gun seems to have changed from a normal pistol at the weekend into a Mac-10 or something.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Skippy (August 20-21, 1929)

Peanuts (October 22, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (December 18-19, 1929)

Thimble Theater (May 8, 1930)

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

You put the butter in first, onto the hot noodles, so it melts and spreads. Then you put the milk :mad: Geez you might as well lock your kid out in the cold at this point

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Julet Esqu posted:

The manzanita reference makes me think this person is talking about the storm we just had on the west coast. Yeah, it was a big storm. The weather was lovely for a few days. But it wasn't so bad you have to fish for pity in a Luann comment section, for crying out loud. Heavy wind and rain, but hardly insurmountable.

Except for, you know, the tornado that touched down in that city and destroyed several homes and businesses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hhOFoJ-X74

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Scott Adams? Or a more obscure comics artist? It sounds like the sort of thing Scott Adams would do.

I thought it might be Adams too, but he *is* busy gearing up to kill Twitter:

quote:

But I will say that IF it is happening, I would regard it as treason. If one political party can use the machinery of social networks to reduce free speech, that is an attack on American values at the deepest level. As a patriot, I would feel obligated to help kill Twitter. (And you wouldn’t want to bet against me.)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Help, my elderly neighbor has done nothing but stand under one spot all day and I'm afraid he might be going senile, please send somebody before he wanders off into traffic, passes out from exhaustion and dehydration or freezes in the fall night.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

If you sold it better and din't make it sound like a chore, he'd probably actually be enthusiastic about it.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Some Guy TT posted:

Oh for the love of...Peppermint Patty is a tomboy who's not very smart. Those are the distinctive character traits which give rise to jokes not possible with the other characters, and that's how she became an important character. Identity politics critical theory is stupid in general, and I can't imagine why you decided to take that particular tact with that particular character when everything else in your post focused on actual content, rather than background trivia no one has ever heard of.

It's not "background trivia," it's the focus of actual strips and storylines. Just because you haven't read them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I do not like Charlie Brown because I do not want to be reminded of the perpetual anxiety, unending ennui, or constant terror of life that we all experience in the funny pages

All I wanna read about is dead country singers and nature adventures written by idiots

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Selachian posted:

Hmmm, he has a point here. I tweet at famous people all the time and they never respond to me. I'm being shadowbanned too!

What is his meltdown going to look like after Trump loses the election? Oh, who am I kidding, he'll be leading the "This was rigged because there is no way a woman could beat such a savvy businessman as Trump in a fair election" brigade as they type angrily into their Facebook status updates.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
He's already preempted his predictions with "Hiliary could still totally win because people are so irrational".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set doesn't know what you want from them.

Working Daze can't even make a pun correctly.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is stuck in a loop.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Adam Ames

crazy hootin' around

That Rookie From the 13th Squad

Reveille chat and MilPlop!

Ella Cinders

Myra North, Special Nurse

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Y'know, I really like Ames as a father figure. They never pit him against his kid or anything.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom Meets Newspaper Spider-Man

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Selachian posted:

This is the funniest loving thing he's ever written.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Help, my elderly neighbor has done nothing but stand under one spot all day and I'm afraid he might be going senile, please send somebody before he wanders off into traffic, passes out from exhaustion and dehydration or freezes in the fall night.
Or maybe start with "hey, neighbor, what's up?"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

dordreff posted:

This is the funniest loving thing he's ever written.

Do you doubt the power of a newspaper cartoonist!? Twitter is still online right now by his goodwill alone.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (September 27, 1951)

Nancy (November 11, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (July 11, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (August 9, 1923)

Lil' Abner (April 8, 1937)

Barney Google (August 10, 1922)

Alley Oop (November 9, 1933)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

treasureplane posted:

Barney Google (August 10, 1922)

:stare:

There's old-timey casual racism and then, even for 1922, there's this.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Savidudeosoo posted:

Y'know, I really like Ames as a father figure. They never pit him against his kid or anything.

It's probably one of the only admirable things about the comic, aside from the clean artwork.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I wonder what this is about. The comments on it were hilarious.

Edit: This was the best comment. I'm not even sure what is being argued

Alterian fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 20, 2016

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

quote:

TEMPLO S.U.D. said, 1 day ago
what a goof-ball (that one fire fighter colleague of the lucky couple)

quote:

Mordock999 GoComics PRO Member said, 1 day ago
Brad?
If I were the Evil Type, I would Very STRONGLY suggest You *SHOVE that PIZZA Slice Down old ‘Loud-Mouth’s’ Gaping Maw.
Fortunately, I’m Not the Evil Type….,
Hmmm...

quote:

Mordock999
Member since May 31, 2011
Bio
Evil, Wicked, Mean, and Nasty Old COFFEE Drinking Curmudgeon, and Resident Outside Agitator.

quote:

luannfan1212 said, 1 day ago
You know I am not a firefighter, but I know a few, and I went to a all boys Catholic High School, as did my son, and quite a few cops and firefighters go to those institutions. They have a duty mentality, as I guess I do, although my path was different. One thing I know is that in a house with usually all men, this situation is an outlier, there is a lot of camaraderie. Here I am going to cry: when I think about those firefighters who risked their lives walking up the Twin Towers, with up to 100 pounds of gear, and many who lost their lives, that comaraderie means so much. Joking around and being silly is part of that whole scene. The more trauma people face the more they find ways to deal with it. What GE has these guys doing is perfectly normal, and beautiful in my opinion. These guys may be silly, but they will risk their lives to save others. Jesus would smile upon them, and so do I. Let them be nuts.

quote:

PipeTobacco
PipeTobacco GoComics PRO Member said, about 23 hours ago
This week continues to progress in a much more fun fashion than I had feared would happen at the start of the week. I enjoy the dialogue and the camaraderie between all the firefighters.
One point of confusion for me today is in the grey haired fellows line, “As in your Bro-in-law?” I am not really understanding how to read/interpret this line:
1. He is obviously not Brad or Toni’s brother-in-law, so this is some sort of humorous joke, I presume…. but I sincerely do not get it.
2. Does the “As in your Bro-in-law?” line refer back to the request to be invited to the nuptials or is it meant to be a precursor to the “not marry this lunk” statement that continues in the grey haired guy’s talking balloon?
3. I guess the confusing part to me of the “As in your Bro-in-law?” statement is really the question mark. If Greg had used a period instead of a question mark, I think I would have understood this better. The question mark makes me unsure if I am understanding the intent.
Any opinions/advice would be appreciated.

fort knox

Flying McCoys

quote:

acsdaddy GoComics PRO Member said, about 19 hours ago
Yeah, it smells like Hell!

Shoe

quote:

treesareus said, 1 day ago
If you check out the latest Project Veritis videos you will see how the Democrats have voter fraud down to an art. One guy admits they have been doing it “for 50 years”.

quote:

jilectan said, about 21 hours ago
@stairsteppublishing
With Hillary calling for the dissolution of the borders, maybe this is the one candidate that the country will not survive.

Dustin

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Peanut butter? In school? Not a chance! (Sadly I'm not making any kind of joke).

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Ha! This was hilarious, thanks for posting it. And yeah, that's about how freaky it is when you're a civvie and have no idea what's happening when all the cars stop and everyone gets out and faces the same direction.

Wait, so Luann can't even bring Gunther as her +1 after he made her dress, but these nameless firefighters we've never seen before get an invite? The hell?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Peanut butter? In school? Not a chance! (Sadly I'm not making any kind of joke).

Yeah it's real messed up that public institutions cater to children with life-threatening allergies

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gross.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Hopefully it turns him into a horse.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Egghead should have taken Scott Lang to Canada if he really wanted to piss him off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

• Locked thread