Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Shoenin posted:

Yeah i think ima just Ninja magic this guy since he doesn't really do anything notable, and his big hitters are pretty manageable due to Kevin Owens owned items.

But his defense is absurd. I tried Darkness because Exdeath has White 5 for some reason. Worked ok and I didn't give a poo poo about his counters but didn't do nearly enough damage.

ninja magic works pretty well. I had Tyro and Yuffie throwing out most of the damage with rank 5 Fire Veil and Water Veil, and rank 4 Gust and Phantasm. With the ninja damage boost RM and Sheepsong in play, the veils and Gust hit for ~3800, and Phantasm for ~6000. Factor in that ninja magic also has a shorter charge time, and you've got some pretty decent DPS.

e: just don't forget to dispel one of the launchers and have to redo the battle for mastery like I did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Can't you mostly just get him to kill himself by force targeting him? Or does that work on everything but him?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Sprite141 posted:

Can't you mostly just get him to kill himself by force targeting him? Or does that work on everything but him?
You can...it's just that doing so is quite slow and that sometimes you will get hosed by your target attacking just a tick or two before the Wave Cannon fires. It's a puzzle boss where the best solution is to instead ignore the relevant mechanics like you're Alexander cutting the Gordian Knot.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Curasa is amazing holy poo poo

I might... seriously consider honing this??

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Beasteh posted:

Curasa is amazing holy poo poo

I might... seriously consider honing this??

Meltdown is still the best 6* skill, but Curada definitely is a contender for the top tiers.

As a bonus, the overheal isn't affected by MND so you can bring it on someone like Beatrix as backup.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
"Well I guess I need to at least TRY this U++, I mean I know it does a metric shitton of damage and has an absolutely insane pile of life, but I have really, really good Soul Breaks. That's gotta count for a lot. Even if I'm literally bringing in Double Cuts because of how long this is iiiiiiiiiii'm dreading this..."

:catstare:

Team, for the curious. The hones are.... pretty bad(R2/R1, R4/R1, R4/R3, R5/R2, R5/R2). Maria Song RW. Somehow had Basch get sniped at the very last second, before he was about to Ardent Blade Gemini's face off, with ST Bio, while at less than a third life, and live. The meme says its self, really.

Definitely didn't get it first try, just stunned I had as doable of a time as I did-blame the SBs. Faris BSB/Wall/Divine Heal/Apoc Shield/Shout is good times. Two Ogres sure helped too.

By the way I've never used imgur before so let me know if I screwed anything up. :ohdear:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

SageAcrin posted:

has an absolutely insane pile of life

Actually, it didn't! The U+ had more HP, technically - assuming you took out the left tentacle (to avoid losing the Ink mastery condition), you had to burn through 352k vs Meltigemini's 333k. In addition, the first half of the U++ is much more restrained than the second half; Zorn and Thorn aren't nearly as terrifying as Meltigemini is, especially in that span where one of them is dead but the other is still alive.

It was about twice as solid as the Kraken defensively, though, so it might have seemed like that 164k was harder to cut through.

Regardless, grats on what sounds like your first U++ clear!

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
Nah, I got Ultima Weapon U++ too, but Hope BSB+Vincent w/Shotgun happening to be my token mage at the time(I have a lot more leveled now) saved me completely there. Had to make a bunch of skills specifically for it, but it worked out.

And yeah, teeechnically Kraken has more life, but A: That sucked too, and B: Yeah, I actually should have said overall durability and not HP. :v:

At least Kraken never gets any harder, really. Sure, his AI gets stronger later, but once you take out a tentacle it gets so much less painful.

'course I'm probably biased because I tried to blitz that instead of double healer like this one, there, so I went in without Protectga, which wasn't very fun early in the fight...

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 20, 2016

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I honed Saint's Cross to R3 today. So that's pretty nice. Really hurting on holy orbs now, though. And dark orbs. Can we just have Fridaily every day for a while?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Uncle Ulty posted:

Ah yes, I forgot to note my existing 5* skills. I have Full Break, Saint Cross, Flare, and Meteor at R3, and Flashing Blade, Thief's Revenge, and Multi-Break at R2. My 4* skills are also totally covered, everything marginally useful is honed to R3 or 4. I'm just looking for next steps, since I don't have a clear path. I have a bunch of medica SBs, and a ton of physical SBs, but not much in the way of magic ones. So I don't know if I should lean on Tornado Strike and FC/PC to further the physical agenda, or go to the Chain -agas and Dark Zone to make up for my lack of magic damage.

My opinion: Your physical side with skills is pretty good. While I'd personally r3 Thief's Revenge, it's not a major priority. I'd maybe work on Dark Zone afterwards, since that and Memento Mori still slots in with otherwise physical shout parties perfectly fine.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Phew, nightmares all done.

Used the brute force / strange vision strategy, with Edward spamming wrath and swift song. After a +80% magic boost yuna was hitting for good damage, tyro was rocking a red hat and fire veil.

I took curada out for a spin, holy hell it's brilliant

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

So if I have a decent set of BSB/SSB's Curada is the clear choice between Curada and Meltdown, right?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to grasp how you're supposed to do enough damage to the Guardian considering it has bonkers defense and resistance and you can't target it with the Wave Cannon afaik.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

QuantaStarFire posted:

I'm trying to grasp how you're supposed to do enough damage to the Guardian considering it has bonkers defense and resistance and you can't target it with the Wave Cannon afaik.

You can target it as far as I can tell, you just have to time the Hot Potato correctly - that means no healing your team just before the Wave Cannon hits, either.

As for brute forcing it, there's Ninja magic (just heal up after the Atomic Rays). Summons have a minimum damage floor and you can stack MAG bonuses (and there are a few WHT/SMN characters). White Magic still gets the triple damage bonus I believe, it's just that you can't exploit a weakness like you could with Evrae.

He is very hardy, but you can brute force him even without Ninja if you have the right buff stacks - Selphie's BSB is fantastic since it buffs both MAG and MND, and you can also put Faith on top of it for your Summoners/Black Mages.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

djfooboo posted:

So if I have a decent set of BSB/SSB's Curada is the clear choice between Curada and Meltdown, right?

Not really?

They don't occupy a similar niche at all, and it's hard to evaluate either in a vacuum of "I have some SSB's/BSB's". Curada is pretty strong, but wont be enough for solo heals unless you have something else to back it up (like a healing BSB). Meltdown is massive single target damage, but requires solid mages to use well, gets tons of benefit from fire, wind or earth boosting/imperiling effects, etc.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007

djfooboo posted:

Depends really. For instance, I run a defence heavy physical A team, using Tyrone for his BSB and RWing wall, therefore I don't need proshellga. So, I've slapped curada and curaja on Ovelia giving me another layer of mitigation which I will use 90% of the time. (2000hp stock, 45-60% all breaks, proshellga, two sources of mblink, wall, sometimes +50% def from Bartz... You can't die.)

I don't have any decent magic damage SBs, so I dont run mages unless I'm forced to, and I don't really have the opportunity to use meltdown all that often.

That being said, if you have an en-earth/fire/wind mage SB, or run mages all the time you'd probably get better mileage out of meltdown.

Inge fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 20, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also keep in mind that unless you do a lot of farming at a 5% drop, JP doesn't even have the Black Crystals needed for R2 Meltdown yet.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It seems weird that we're up to two 6* White Mage skills and there's still no multi-target Cure, even one that spits out really crappy healing.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

wizard on a water slide posted:

It seems weird that we're up to two 6* White Mage skills and there's still no multi-target Cure, even one that spits out really crappy healing.

6* bard is party wide heavy regen I think

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just had Meltdown doublecast twice on Elite Melusine for ~120k damage total. Absolutely disgusting. Cool animation too.

Also, Evrae can kiss my rear end, not touching him again without native Wall because there's no way I'm going to give Edward White 3 when those motes could potentially be used to turn Alphinaud into a god of destruction.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

QuantaStarFire posted:

I just had Meltdown doublecast twice on Elite Melusine for ~120k damage total. Absolutely disgusting. Cool animation too.

Also, Evrae can kiss my rear end, not touching him again without native Wall because there's no way I'm going to give Edward White 3 when those motes could potentially be used to turn Alphinaud into a god of destruction.

The secret to Nightmare Evrae is ninja magic and poison resist accessories for your squishies.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Does Imperil effects do anything when they're already weak to an element? Can they get weaker?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

bilperkins2 posted:

Does Imperil effects do anything when they're already weak to an element? Can they get weaker?

they can't get more than +100% weak, but some upcoming bosses will only have +50% weakness, which imperil can increase

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

djfooboo posted:

The secret to Nightmare Evrae is ninja magic and poison resist accessories for your squishies.

Guess I'm waiting until I can get more than 2 poison resist things then. :/

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

QuantaStarFire posted:

Guess I'm waiting until I can get more than 2 poison resist things then. :/

I only had 2 also. There is a new major resist ring one in the new White Mage nightmare. I used Yuffie so she didn't get nightmare synergy, so she got that one.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

Sprite141 posted:

Words about 5* Skills

Attestant posted:

Words about 5* Skills

Thanks for the advice! It looks like I'll be leaning toward Dark Zone first, then Full Charge. Should I go R3 on both? (and R3-4 on Memento Mori?)

Regarding Thief's Revenge and Dragoon Jump, the only decent SB I have on a character who can get 5 hits out of TR is Zidane's Shift Break. Is that one SB and TR worth bringing him in a Shout party? And up until this point I never even considered Dragoon Jump - I had a bias against dragoons in the Final Fantasy games because I didn't like having to wait for them to hang around in the air, and I guess the bias just carried over and I never really took that class seriously. But again, if I get a decent SB on a dragoon, I'll probably consider honing Dragoon Jump.

Flare and Meteor have carried me pretty far, and Meteor + Ruinga has allowed me to plow through dailies with no one but a black mage, so I'm hesitant to lose it just yet. And I like Flare as something that I can stick onto a black mage and know that it will do decent damage without having to worry about resists. I'm sure they will both be overshadowed shortly, and I will re-assess them.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

KataraniSword posted:

Meltdown is still the best 6* skill, but Curada definitely is a contender for the top tiers.

As a bonus, the overheal isn't affected by MND so you can bring it on someone like Beatrix as backup.

You're comparing an apple to an orange. They're equally good, just for different purposes. Hone them both!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Anything good on these upcoming FF 2 banners?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

NaanViolence posted:

You're comparing an apple to an orange. They're equally good, just for different purposes. Hone them both!

This was said earlier, but even JP hasn't had enough Black Crystals as rewards to hone r2 Meltdown. Only if you farmed a low 5% drop from a high end boss. :v:

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

W.T. Fits posted:

Anything good on these upcoming FF 2 banners?

Firion and Maria BSBs. Firion's is a single target multi-hit physical/holy damage. The attack command does more hits each time you use it but has a long cast time while the defend command removes cast time from his next action, so you alternate cast combo them like powercharge/full charge. Maria's is single target multi-hit earth magic with en-earth. The attack command does single target multi-hit earth attacks with the number of hits increasing with the user's MAG stat. The defend command doe AoE earth damage and increases the users MAG while reducing DEF. Again, a pseudo-combo where you want to use the defend command first.

Also a whole tier of single-target earth black magic is being added so we're no longer stuck using quake or fat chocobo (or specific RWs like Hope or Rinoa) to satisfy medal conditions.

Boogaloo Shrimp fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 20, 2016

Inge
Jan 16, 2007

Uncle Ulty posted:

Thanks for the advice! It looks like I'll be leaning toward Dark Zone first, then Full Charge. Should I go R3 on both? (and R3-4 on Memento Mori?)

Regarding Thief's Revenge and Dragoon Jump, the only decent SB I have on a character who can get 5 hits out of TR is Zidane's Shift Break. Is that one SB and TR worth bringing him in a Shout party? And up until this point I never even considered Dragoon Jump - I had a bias against dragoons in the Final Fantasy games because I didn't like having to wait for them to hang around in the air, and I guess the bias just carried over and I never really took that class seriously. But again, if I get a decent SB on a dragoon, I'll probably consider honing Dragoon Jump.

Flare and Meteor have carried me pretty far, and Meteor + Ruinga has allowed me to plow through dailies with no one but a black mage, so I'm hesitant to lose it just yet. And I like Flare as something that I can stick onto a black mage and know that it will do decent damage without having to worry about resists. I'm sure they will both be overshadowed shortly, and I will re-assess them.

Keep in mind that you can only get about a limited amount of before you die from doom, during which you should be spamming DZ... So don't hone MM past rank 2. 4 uses is fine - one to activate buff, spam four dark zones, spam remainder of memento mori, die. Once you have R3 dark zone, you probably won't even get to the MM spam.

Thief's revenge really shines with +attack and +critical SBs. 4000+ hp self heal on ultimate bosses is great utility on top of pretty good damage (Usually 12k plus). Shift break clashes a little with Shout, if you are using it, which is something to consider - but if you are running a mixed meta with a +30% atk/mag SB, pairing shift break with steal defence and thief's revenge (i.e. Zidane in a high damage support role) sound like a pretty good plan.

Dragoon jump is great but kind of niche for Cid Missions. To use it properly you really need to pair it with blood of the wyvern or a soul break which reduces airtime. It uses pretty low-demand orbs though, but either way I'd hold off for now.

Full charge really needs an instant cast skill to shine - obviously Powerchain is the prime example for those characters that can use it, but pretty soon we'll be getting Onion Knight RWs popping up everywhere, which includes an 4x physical + instant cast BSB command which will probably work nicely with it. Plus, about half the characters in the game can use it so there's that. It's a great ability, no-frills SB level damage in a tidy package.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Uncle Ulty posted:

A new 4* dragoon ability called dragons blood removes jump time for the next 2 turns (it says jumps but I've defended then was only able to reduce one jump). It's vital for dragoon jump, as dragoon jump normally takes like twice as long as other jumps.

Thief's revenge is pretty darn solid, and is actually better than saint's cross for raw non-elemental damage. Zidaine has access to mechanist stuff so he cam apply status vulnerabilities as well, so yeah that's good. Don't worry about having a good sb on people. There was this dps post on reddit comparing ssb damage versus stuff like dragon's blood + dragoon jump, momento mori + dark zone and powerchain + full charge. It's all relatively similar in the long run, once you get to like r3 hones that is. To be honest I don't really rely too much on dmage ssbs anymore, but my hones are higher so yeah.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Inge posted:

Dragoon jump is great but kind of niche for Cid Missions. To use it properly you really need to pair it with blood of the wyvern or a soul break which reduces airtime. It uses pretty low-demand orbs though, but either way I'd hold off for now.

Full charge really needs an instant cast skill to shine - obviously Powerchain is the prime example for those characters that can use it, but pretty soon we'll be getting Onion Knight RWs popping up everywhere, which includes an 4x physical + instant cast BSB command which will probably work nicely with it. Plus, about half the characters in the game can use it so there's that. It's a great ability, no-frills SB level damage in a tidy package.

Oh,is it called wyvern's blood? Having to use wyvern's blood is just a detriment as using momento mori or powerchain. It's a decent single hit attack that lets you wreck poo poo. But yeah the orb count is low, only greaters.

Full charge does need an instacast to shine, but it's still good regardless.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Inge posted:

Isn't it preferable to just self-chain OK's BSB commands?

Inge
Jan 16, 2007

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Isn't it preferable to just self-chain OK's BSB commands?

Actually, yeah, probably.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
Ult++ Meltigemini with CM complete. Used the RW way. I have native Divine Guardian for Garnet, and only doublecast meteorite on Vivi which only did something like 4k damage to Melti... I used the RM on Vivi to start out with his default SB to increase his magic a bit before using chain firaga on Thorn/Zorn. Eiko is carrying the FFX shared medica rod, which I used one time after the first Ult Meteor. Got lucky that he cast only 2 single-target Bio after the Ult Meteors.

Screenshots below:

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 20, 2016

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

These Nightmare dungeons are great for orbs and MC2 lodes :neckbeard:

I made it to Demon Wall who kicked my butt, so I need to read up on his gimmicks. I'm about to unlock whoever the Quadruple Foul boss is as well. Still picking away at various others.

I'm also having some trouble with Kraken in the U+ fight, I keep running out of steam when he's down to around 1/3 health, but I think I can get it before the event expires. I accidentally killed his second arm with aoe bursts on my last attempt, that ended that run fast :eng99:

I've been using Full Break/Saint Cross/Snowspell Strike all at R1, they're all really drat strong, but man the orb requirements to hone R5s are brutal. Orbfest please :v:

Out of curiosity, are those 5 dooms bosses ever coming back? Snowspell/whatever the Samurai one is are the only two I unlocked.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

victrix posted:

These Nightmare dungeons are great for orbs and MC2 lodes :neckbeard:

I made it to Demon Wall who kicked my butt, so I need to read up on his gimmicks. I'm about to unlock whoever the Quadruple Foul boss is as well. Still picking away at various others.

I'm also having some trouble with Kraken in the U+ fight, I keep running out of steam when he's down to around 1/3 health, but I think I can get it before the event expires. I accidentally killed his second arm with aoe bursts on my last attempt, that ended that run fast :eng99:

I've been using Full Break/Saint Cross/Snowspell Strike all at R1, they're all really drat strong, but man the orb requirements to hone R5s are brutal. Orbfest please :v:

Out of curiosity, are those 5 dooms bosses ever coming back? Snowspell/whatever the Samurai one is are the only two I unlocked.

Depending on how many BSBs you have, what ended up working for me was bringing a second Healer and having them primarily dump Curaja on the last tentacle to keep it healthy enough that I could keep activating my Bursts. It was kind of a dumb solution but it worked and still got me Mastery to boot.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

LornMarkus posted:

Depending on how many BSBs you have, what ended up working for me was bringing a second Healer and having them primarily dump Curaja on the last tentacle to keep it healthy enough that I could keep activating my Bursts. It was kind of a dumb solution but it worked and still got me Mastery to boot.

This is hilarious and I'll totally try it. iirc I had excess Curaja charges by the end, but I couldn't use my bsbs/ssbs without breaking the last tentacle.

I only have Squall/Tifa/Pecil BSBs, and didn't have Tifa along for that fight, using Faris for her atk/mag ssb and breakdowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

victrix posted:

This is hilarious and I'll totally try it. iirc I had excess Curaja charges by the end, but I couldn't use my bsbs/ssbs without breaking the last tentacle.

I only have Squall/Tifa/Pecil BSBs, and didn't have Tifa along for that fight, using Faris for her atk/mag ssb and breakdowns.

Should probably work for you then, only real difference between us is I had Beatrix who gets realm Synergy so it might take you a little longer to burn him.

• Locked thread