Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sweet. Getting Chimes at Midnight, Dr. Strangelove, and Beyond the Valley of the Dolls. Almost got Blood Simple, but it'll wait until the B&N sale along with Eraserhead and Pan's Labyrinth.

Edit: drat, I was only $13 away from the $50 certificate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks for letting us know the Flash sale started. Finally got to use my $10 credit!
Picked up Rashomon, 8 1/2, The Brood, Picnic at Hanging Rock.

Was bummed I couldn't get Lone Wolf and Cub at a discounted price, but oh well.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I got Dekalog, Short Cuts, and the Multiple Maniacs poster.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Slate Action posted:

Dekalog sold out in 90 minutes :eyepop:

gently caress

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Looks like they're already out of Chimes at Midnight. :smith:

Gonna get The Immortal Story, The 39 Steps, and am blind buying Phoenix.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Looks like they're already out of Chimes at Midnight. :smith:

Gonna get The Immortal Story, The 39 Steps, and am blind buying Phoenix.

Good choice in blind-buying Phoenix - you won't be disappointed.

I realized the shipping fees and extra charges out to Canada aren't worth it, especially with the B&N sale happening in a couple weeks.
I'm driving distance from a B&N store in the States, so it's nice not to worry about 2-3 weeks wait for shipping and worrying about damaged corners. Plus, it's cheaper with the B&N member discount in-store.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Dekalog is the only thing I want that's new. Maybe Short Cuts. I guess the B&N sale is coming up soon.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I rounded out my Ozu's with Late Spring and An Autumn Afternoon, and threw in Moonrise Kingdom to get the free shipping.

I mean I could obviously buy a lot more, but Barnes and Noble should be having a sale again soon too right?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
What time will the sale be ending?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They should have waited til Friday. :argh:

I still have my Eraserhead :10bux: to burn.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The_Rob posted:

What time will the sale be ending?
Tomorrow at noon EST

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Snatched up Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There should be a B&N sale in November, correct? If so I may just pick up Blood Simple and wait on the rest.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

K. Waste posted:

Snatched up Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.

Same, but I also got Valley of the Dolls

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There should be a B&N sale in November, correct? If so I may just pick up Blood Simple and wait on the rest.

Hopefully the sale will be going on after Lone Wolf & Cub come out, super bummed I can't order it now as all I want is Blood Simple so I won't be getting free shipping.
Probably going to wait until the B&N sale.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Crossposting from the Blu-Ray thread.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Also I preordered Lone Wolf and Cub boxset (The Criterion Collection) at the $40 price mistake but decided I don't want it. If anybody missed out, PM me and I'll see if I can change the shipping address to yours. Then you can send me an Amazon gift card for the amount owed. Thanks.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
How is three outlaw samurai. I love samurai films and it sounds really interesting.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The_Rob posted:

How is three outlaw samurai. I love samurai films and it sounds really interesting.
I liked it well enough but it's not especially remarkable IMO.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Raxivace posted:

I liked it well enough but it's not especially remarkable IMO.

Then maybe I will just watch that on Filmstruck or something. Cries and Whispers it is then.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
This is the first sale where I've actually had money (well, since July, but I didn't get anything then.) Ended up getting A Hard Day's Night, House, Complete Jacques Tati, and America Lost & Found: The BBS Story.

There's so much more I want but I'm pretty happy with that. All from different countries, all are movies (or contain movies) I've seen and enjoyed, and there's something great about getting AHDN and Head together. Already drafting my shortlist for next time.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

A Hard Day's Night and Head would be an interesting double feature.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/788421563402059776

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I have decent amount of unreleased titles queued up for the next sale, but for things that are actually out now I only wound up getting Pan's Labyrinth/Chimes at Midnight/Woman in the Dunes. Would've gotten Dekalog if I had been a bit quicker, but alas.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I was still looking for some violent sword fighting stuff so I just went with the lady snowblood collection.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Does the del Toro set include any new features for Cronos and Devil's Backbone that aren't on the existing releases?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Does the del Toro set include any new features for Cronos and Devil's Backbone that aren't on the existing releases?

Same disc content, just different disc art and the book/packaging.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Egbert Souse posted:

Same disc content, just different disc art and the book/packaging.

Hmm, it's tempting to upgrade just for the book.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
In non-Criterion news, Kino Lorber is kickstarting a new edition of the "Pioneers" series https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kinolorber/pioneers-first-women-filmmakers

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I was at a Barnes & Noble yesterday and from what I could tell(their box sets are behind the counter), this Del Toro set is in some weird cube shape? I get irrationally annoyed with that kind of poo poo, but its really does make it impractical when you only have so much shelf space.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Basebf555 posted:

I was at a Barnes & Noble yesterday and from what I could tell(their box sets are behind the counter), this Del Toro set is in some weird cube shape? I get irrationally annoyed with that kind of poo poo, but its really does make it impractical when you only have so much shelf space.

Another reminder to never assume sets like this will just be a slip-cover over the three individual releases. Kinda sucks, but I should have checked before ordering the set. Looking up images online it seems to be square shaped with the blu-rays in slip cases.. lame.

e: I was surprised Moonrise Kingdom and Fantastic Mr. Fox went back to digipaks because I thought everyone hated them.

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 19, 2016

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I like the digipaks, I think they look nicer than the plastic cases.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The digipaks are nice because they usually allow a much thicker bound booklet rather than the usual folded/stapled one.

Or their occasionally brilliant turns like the pop-up in Godzilla or the inserts in Dr. Strangelove. Not to mention the few that include an actual book like Vampyr and Mr. Arkadin.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Picnic at Hanging Rock includes the original book too, I should really get around to reading mine.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Anyone else actually read the Mr. Arkadin novel?

Nobody but me? Okay. :smith:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I, Butthole posted:

In non-Criterion news, Kino Lorber is kickstarting a new edition of the "Pioneers" series https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kinolorber/pioneers-first-women-filmmakers

This looks super cool

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
My order arrives tomorrow.

Salo
Shock Corridor
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Tokyo Drifter
Branded to Kill

All blind buys.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Be sure to do some background reading about the conflicts between the director and the studio with Suzuki's films prior to watching them. Or at least in between the two.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I know this thread talked about them not long ago, but Tokyo Drifter and Branded to Kill are two of my favorite blind buys and everyone should own them.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

blue squares posted:

Be sure to do some background reading about the conflicts between the director and the studio with Suzuki's films prior to watching them. Or at least in between the two.

I'll try to remember this. Is it covered in the supplementary material on the discs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Cloks posted:

I'll try to remember this. Is it covered in the supplementary material on the discs?

I think so, yeah, in some of the interviews. Maybe the booklets. I don't remember exactly where I learned it all from.