Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there any reason to use the dual-wielding over the ammo-doubling mod? Dual wielding makes you spend more ammo, deal less damage per shot, makes you a lot less accurate (so more of that damage is wasted), and makes you spend more time reloading.

Ammo doubling just gives you a flat damage boost in exchange for double ammo costs.

Is it just for style points?

You'd double the number of hits you get that qualify for procs like critical chance or elemental effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

What exactly is "physical" resist? Not sure if it means less damage from melee or if it takes more damage from elemental effects.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Digirat posted:

Nuclear throne gets this right: It's constantly increasing the difficulty, but long before it just adds to the health of the existing enemies, it keeps throwing more of them at you. This means the game gets more satisfying the more difficult it gets, because you're cleaning through enemies faster. If you make a game harder by just giving enemies more health, then higher difficulty becomes less satisfying, because it just takes longer to beat the same number of dudes.

Nuclear Throne is 2D though, so completely avoids the issue I was talking about. Case in point.

I already said exactly what you're saying here; more enemies is always more fun than tougher enemies. But I'm explaining to you why that isn't always an option. In 3D games its a real design challenge, where in 2D its trivial to toss more sprites at the screen.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 19, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

foozwak posted:

What exactly is "physical" resist? Not sure if it means less damage from melee or if it takes more damage from elemental effects.

Less damage from non-elemental effects. All your weapons are 100% physical by default, melee or ranged. As you put elemental gems in them, some add flat elemental damage while others convert a significant amount of the existing damage to elemental damage.

At the end of it, any weapon you have can only have 1 element, and ends up with a certain ratio of that being physical to elemental.

Say I have a sword, I put a fire gem in it that says +5 fire damage, and another fire gem that says +10% damage converted to fire. If it had 100 base damage, that'd mean it becomes 90 physical + 10 fire + 5 fire, which means 90 physical and 15 fire, which means 14% is fire and the other 86% is physical.

If you really stack elements you can make weapons that are mostly element or you can make ones that have only a little bit. You get more bonus damage from the +damage ones than the + damage converted to element ones, but if you find an enemy that is element resistant, the one that does less damage but has more of that damage as element will end up doing more damage.

Consider a 90 damage gun that is 50% fire versus a 120 damage gun that is 20% fire. If you fight a fire weak enemy, the 90 damage gun will inflict more damage overall, same with a physical resist enemy. But against enemies that don't have fire weak or physical resist, the 120 damage gun will top out.

Clear as mud?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 19, 2016

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

I honestly think that is actually pretty clear, I just wasn't sure if there was a difference between melee or not. I play melee centric and have them loaded with critical chance and damage gems and came across a few physical resist enemies recently and it didn't seem to do as much damage, but they were also big enemies with loads of HP, so I couldn't really be sure what was going on.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Carecat posted:

You'd double the number of hits you get that qualify for procs like critical chance or elemental effects.

Is it worth it to spend a slot on a weapon you want elemental with the dual-wielding mod instead of going with three elemental gems? I haven't been very impressed with the elemental status effects, but I haven't invested in the related skills yet.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I went 8 purely elemental guns, one gun for each ammo type with 2 guns for each elemental type.
I was just switching my guns on the fly depending on the enemy weakness and smoking them on the spot.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I went 8 purely elemental guns, one gun for each ammo type with 2 guns for each elemental type.
I was just switching my guns on the fly depending on the enemy weakness and smoking them on the spot.

yeah that's how I do it too. Its real easy to gem that way, just slap your top elemental damage gems in, and then gives you a reason to swap weapons so you can play resistance wac-a-mole.

Also that pairs really really well with the skill that reloads guns when you don't use them for a bit.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

yeah that's how I do it too. Its real easy to gem that way, just slap your top elemental damage gems in, and then gives you a reason to swap weapons so you can play resistance wac-a-mole.

Also that pairs really really well with the skill that reloads guns when you don't use them for a bit.

Yeah. That's exactly why I went for that strat. I wanted to spend as little time as possible slotting gems and more time shooting uglies in the face.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Dual-wielding the Swift & Messon seems to be a terrible choice for all the reasons listed but it just looks so darn cool I can't stop

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Serephina posted:

Things I loved from the first:
Very cool weapon balance - a big deal, this is what makes a good fps to me. Balancing ammo generation v preferred weapons, limited weapon options that are all equal, etc

However, I totally hate:
Grind, ie replaying an area, EVER
Multiplayer in my fps
loving loot drops
Gemming poo poo

Should I get this game when it comes out on my platform?

Oh my god the lootsplosion guns have to have their DPS listed? I shed a tear for the SW franchise, you boys enjoy your desperate Diablo-clone, I guess I have my answer =[

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ok

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

wait, did you read any of the replies people gave you? things like dps don't matter at all and there's no levels for the weapons or monsters. the gameplay is better than 1's, even if the story sucks.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there any reason to use the dual-wielding over the ammo-doubling mod? Dual wielding makes you spend more ammo, deal less damage per shot, makes you a lot less accurate (so more of that damage is wasted), and makes you spend more time reloading.

Ammo doubling just gives you a flat damage boost in exchange for double ammo costs.

Is it just for style points?
Numbers-wise, Dual-wielding gives better damage for your ammo efficiency at the expense of accuracy and reload compared to using the doubler.

Picking a random example out of my inventory, comparing a 64 yellow Geminate to a 63 legendary doubler, the doubler gives 167% damage for 200% ammo, while dual wielding at -13% damage gives 174% damage for 200% ammo and -50% reload.

As also mentioned, shooting double the bullets with dual wield gives double the elemental procs and greater control over ammo usage, since you'll overkill a lot of things with the doubler.

For accurate burst damage, the doubler's fantastic, such as on a revolver, but for maximum DPS on a big target like a Herculon or an elite, dumping 100 elemental rounds out of an SMG very quickly puts a nice big dent in the health bar. It's especially nice for the cybernetic mechs that don't have an easy crit spot.

For further comparison, a similar level orange triple-barrel multi-shot is 300% damage at half the fire rate for +50% DPS total, while an explosive mod at +75% explosion and -13% base damage works out similar to ~+55% damage overall separated into two packets.

So since stats wise it works similar, you can pick which options work for what feels good with the gun and do just fine, which is a pretty great feat for the weapon balancing off the launch.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

truly the Shadow Warrior franchise has fallen so far from its lofty beginnings of "Duke Nukem 3D clone starring a man who literally says 'YOU WIRR DIE WIT OUT HONOR, ZIRRA'"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Serephina posted:

Oh my god the lootsplosion guns have to have their DPS listed? I shed a tear for the SW franchise, you boys enjoy your desperate Diablo-clone, I guess I have my answer =[
"lootsplosion guns"? Every weapon is a unique, specific preset weapon. You just don't find all of them in set places.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

I would just like to say that sticking the "shoot three barrels at once" mod on the Triad revolver along with the ammo doubler and explosive ammo mods was the best/worst choice I ever made. It uses the entire magazine when you fire it, does 500 damage across three bullets, and is horribly inefficient but drat if it isn't satisfying to hit things with and watch them explode into chunks.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

So I just finished the game for the first time. Took me 18 hours and I found 65 weapons. Does anyone know how many weapons there are in total?

The story was clearly cut down to the barebones cutscenes and there's like at least half of the story missing but I don't really care since the gameplay was a loving blast.

I'm at 68 weapons including the preorder chainsaw blade. I've heard 70 but still haven't seen a list so :shrug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Johnny Joestar posted:

wait, did you read any of the replies people gave you? things like dps don't matter at all and there's no levels for the weapons or monsters. the gameplay is better than 1's, even if the story sucks.

He super obviously didn't read any of them and I find that hilarious

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Magnus Condomus posted:

I would just like to say that sticking the "shoot three barrels at once" mod on the Triad revolver along with the ammo doubler and explosive ammo mods was the best/worst choice I ever made. It uses the entire magazine when you fire it, does 500 damage across three bullets, and is horribly inefficient but drat if it isn't satisfying to hit things with and watch them explode into chunks.

put the triple barrel and two elemental gems on the cerberus shotgun and do 1500 damage to everything in a 180 degree radius in front of you.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

nerdz posted:

put the triple barrel and two elemental gems on the cerberus shotgun and do 1500 damage to everything in a 180 degree radius in front of you.

I think I did that as well, but for some reason the Triad just felt better even though I know it has less total potential damage.

Here's a fight with one of the insanity mode Skull enemies using it. Side note, Xbox Game DVR is not very good at recording gameplay, but its also free with windows 10.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMjmHWQ2ifQ&hd=1

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Serephina posted:

Oh no some twat gets to feel slightly superior while everyone else plays a fun game, whatever will we do to correct this horrible imbalance in nature?!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Magnus Condomus posted:

I think I did that as well, but for some reason the Triad just felt better even though I know it has less total potential damage.

Here's a fight with one of the insanity mode Skull enemies using it. Side note, Xbox Game DVR is not very good at recording gameplay, but its also free with windows 10.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMjmHWQ2ifQ&hd=1

I'm not lying when I say that a single point blank shot with the cerberus would kill 2-3 of them per shot. It feels like the shotguns have guaranteed penetration in their shots.

For single target damage you can actually get ridiculous damage per shot and a way better fire rate with one of the rail guns which I forgot the name. Explosion mod, best elemental gem you got and something extra here like crit chance+crit damage. I killed the last boss on insane with like 7 shots. It can crit on hit for 2k damage and then explode for extra 2k damage.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Serephina posted:

No. What? No. No man. poo poo, NO man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDgq-K2oYLo

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

shotguns have listed radius effect or whatever it's called, something that explosive weapons have as well, which seems to give it literal aoe damage capabilities beyond simple pellet spread

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry
Quick non-scientific poll:

1) Did you guys meet this monster during the game?

2) (For people playing on Insane) - was the game difficult enough? Too easy or too hard?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Zagrod posted:

Nope, not at all. Where did you run into it?

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry
It's supposed to be a random spawn in the "Ancient" setting - basically the one that's not a city. I'm trying to check if there's something wrong with it's spawn rate

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Zagrod posted:

It's supposed to be a random spawn in the "Ancient" setting - basically the one that's not a city. I'm trying to check if there's something wrong with it's spawn rate
Must be because I did every sidequest and never ran into it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i saw...one, at the very least. i can't explicitly remember any others.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I've only ran into one each campaign, afraid I can't remember the mission but it was a HUGE one.

quote:

2) (For people playing on Insane) - was the game difficult enough? Too easy or too hard?
I played on Insane my second playthrough but I used my gear from the first game I played on normal, it felt just about right. If I screwed up I died but if I used the right weapons against the right enemies I usually came out on top.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Zagrod posted:

I think I've seen that thing once so far. During the tea mission I think?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zagrod posted:

I think I've seen this monster once during the 18 hours it took me to finish the game and I've been doing every side-mission and "mini-boss".

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I've seen it in a single mission.

Also for real fun, put a charge mod on the Gausszille (single-shot railgun). The charge time is almost exactly one fully upgraded vanish long, so you can vanish perfectly place a max damage shot.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

I've got around 30 hours in game, and have not seen a single one of those.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I didn't realise act 3 had a load of mission givers in the Wang Hole! Nearly finished the game without doing any of them!

Also who are those robot twins on the couch? I don't remember meeting them in the story but he acts like he knows them.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
They were twin assassins who worked for Zilla in Shadow Warrior 1.

I remember because they were on the ship level, which is easily the most boring one in the entire game.

thejacob
Feb 13, 2014

Zagrod posted:

About 45% into my first game on insane.

1) Yes one time so far, didn't immediately realize it was spawning all the adds, was an intense fight.

2) It really depends on the modifiers or if I get surrounded unable double jump over the mob. Otherwise it seems ok, wouldn't mind an even higher droprate though because shineys are good. Also on average large elites are way harder fights than the skull enemies.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zagrod posted:

It feels a liiiiitle bit easy (not anything crazy) on singleplayer and a bit too hard on 4-player. But like I said before, I'm not sure if that's because the friends I'm co-oping with are just bad or not.

A few people have expressed in thread that with 4 players enemies start to feel really bullet-spongey which kills the feel of the action, and a few reviews have as well.

I was saying earlier that I know its a tough problem because you can't just necessarily spawn 10x as many guys on insane without having performance issues, but it is what it is. And you can just drop the difficulty down to compensate for the 4-player difficulty if you have to.

But maybe tweak the player count difficulty settings. Maybe boost boss health more and non-boss health less or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Does multiplayer difficulty do anything more than multiply enemy health per player? Because I've played other games like borderlands where more players just means more enemy health, and this game seems to get a lot harder with another player than those do, which I wouldn't expect if all it did was add 100% health per extra player.

• Locked thread