Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I see this game aims for historical accuracy. Napoleons army probably died in the same way the Commonwealth's just did in my latest war. Confusedly oscillating between Polotsk and Vitebsk until they all died of the cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

:raise:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I play as Ottomans and it's only 1609 - what are my options from here ? Makuria is already a vassal and venturing deeper into Africa seems to give little treasure. Europe would be a long and bloody affair. I could gobble up the remains of Persia and expand towards India or head north to take the Crimea.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The answer with the Ottomans is usually "take turns expanding in all directions", that way you spread out AE. I'd personally go for Europe, because the more you eat Europe the less problematic they become, but East is a valid option too.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ottomans declared war on me as Poland, and I figured I was fine since their only ally was Tunis, and I was allied to Spain and a Novgorod I had fed most of Muscowy to. Then, France intervened on the side of the Ottomans. Historical maybe, but definitely messed up IMO.

Maybe it's my Vicky 2 side talking, but it strikes me as wrong that they were able to intervene on the side of the attacker before a battle had even been fought.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

During session 1 of our Hardcore MP game I brought the Ottoman Empire to ruin after taking Rome and facing a massive coalition. During session 2 I rebounded like a madman and took Syria from the Mamluks without fighting a single battle. Very Hard AI, my rear end.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hammerstein posted:

I play as Ottomans and it's only 1609 - what are my options from here ? Makuria is already a vassal and venturing deeper into Africa seems to give little treasure. Europe would be a long and bloody affair. I could gobble up the remains of Persia and expand towards India or head north to take the Crimea.

Yeah you should be able able to expand in all directions at once if you are choosy with your targets. Southeast Africa has a lot of valuable trade goods and some gold mines. Dominating the Indian Ocean means being able to divert all of that valuable East indies trade income back to your capital, and there are also some quite valuable provinces to the East.

You could try to unify Islam, there's an achievement for it and it's a pretty fun thing to do. You also get some nice bonuses for doing it, but the game might be close to over by the time that you've marched into the Iberian peninsula

I don't normally like achievements, but I like the eu4 achievement system. It has helped guide some of my games towards options that I wouldn't have even normally considered, which is cool.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hammerstein posted:

Europe is rich, so is India. So go both East and West.

Senor Dog posted:

Ottomans declared war on me as Poland, and I figured I was fine since their only ally was Tunis, and I was allied to Spain and a Novgorod I had fed most of Muscowy to. Then, France intervened on the side of the Ottomans. Historical maybe, but definitely messed up IMO.

Maybe it's my Vicky 2 side talking, but it strikes me as wrong that they were able to intervene on the side of the attacker before a battle had even been fought.

Well the rule is that Great Powers can intervene in any war with GPs on either side, as long as there's an unbalanced amount of GPs. And then they can intervene on whichever side has fewer GPs.

What you describe is a bit silly, but I'd say only because it would have been better to wait a few months and let Spain's armies march off for a while, then intervene. Silly AI.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Hammerstein posted:

At this point, it's less "what are my options?" and more "what do I feel like doing?" You're practically unstoppable, so just expand whichever way you feel like and to hell with any AI that thinks they can stop you.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Also, Castile looks kinda weak given that bite Aragon took out of them. Strongly consider attacking southern Italy.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

how the hell is bukhara so big in that picture

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah and you're not really playing Ottomans until the Pope has called a crusade on you

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Weird stuff just happens sometimes. I had one game where Taberestan appeared to be going for a Shahanshah run and doing pretty well at it.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Doing a Prussia run since i wanted to check out the new government form, but since you get a militarization malus if you have too many provinces I've stayed quite small. So now I'm a military monster but really poor :( I've had to resort to beating up the hansa trade federation every other year to collect their money.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I haven't seen it happen so far in 3ish games of RoM, but in MN a big rear end Bukhara was practically guaranteed unless the player deliberately stopped it early on. Not sure why really, I guess Uzbek just had a strong starting position and the form Bukhara decision puts them in place to dominate unless there's a strong Russian or Persian power to break them down.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Buhkkara also looks huge because it has a lot of gigantic in size 1/1/1 garbage provinces.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Here's the end of my Sunset Invasion + Fanatic Collectivist run.

I'm the strongest, most advanced nation in the world yet somehow I've never heard of India :downs:

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Tell me more of this mythical land of Hindustan.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Elman posted:

I'm the strongest, most advanced nation in the world yet somehow I've never heard of India :downs:

Time to sail west!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Ugh, I thought the trade nodes flowed differently. There's no way to get Incan gold/trade back across the Pacific to Japan, is there? I mean, I guess long term I could ship Asian and American trade to Ivory Coast, but that's probably not worth the bother. Perhaps I'll just let South America alone.

#1 thing I want for EUV or a major DLC is a revamp of the trade system to make it less rigid. Like, maybe each trade node you have power in spawns a 'Ducat Bucket' each monthly 'turn', and every 'turn' the Bucket of money moves one node closer to your capital, being affected by all the normal modifiers until it reaches home and gets cashed in. Then I could ship trade from England back to India, or Mexico to Istanbul, or whatever. No more end nodes or whatever, all links flow both ways, and on any given 'turn' a node might have Ducat Buckets from a couple dozen different nations all headed in different directions towards their respective capitals.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
A full-on trade system rework is probably not going to happen since apparently it's insanely hard to program and balance. I would enjoy if there were a really expensive way to create a new trade route, like pay a couple thousand diplo power to connect Brazil directly to English Channel or something, but I doubt that will ever happen either for the same reason.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

Ugh, I thought the trade nodes flowed differently. There's no way to get Incan gold/trade back across the Pacific to Japan, is there? I mean, I guess long term I could ship Asian and American trade to Ivory Coast, but that's probably not worth the bother. Perhaps I'll just let South America alone.

#1 thing I want for EUV or a major DLC is a revamp of the trade system to make it less rigid. Like, maybe each trade node you have power in spawns a 'Ducat Bucket' each monthly 'turn', and every 'turn' the Bucket of money moves one node closer to your capital, being affected by all the normal modifiers until it reaches home and gets cashed in. Then I could ship trade from England back to India, or Mexico to Istanbul, or whatever. No more end nodes or whatever, all links flow both ways, and on any given 'turn' a node might have Ducat Buckets from a couple dozen different nations all headed in different directions towards their respective capitals.

The Ivory Coast and Caribbean are kind of like pseudo-end-nodes; a lot of trade converges on them before being distributed to western Europe. They're basically always worth whatever effort you can put into them as a RotW nation, since controlling them gives you the closest thing to a Sevilla or English Channel-style infinite riches node that you can get without actually invading Europe.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I mostly just find it weird and annoying that England has trade power in my nodes when they don't even know my nodes exist yet.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
That makes sense though. Trade isn't the state literally sending people out and moving goods, it represents their influence extending in those places too. Local merchants cooperating with them, or English etc merchants working through middle men all the way to your country a node away form them.

I really like the trade system, it makes the game world feel big and alive. Obviously it'd be nice if the directions were dynamic too but it's still pretty good.

e: I guess it makes less sense when Europeans project power across an as-of-yet unexplored Atlantic, but eh

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The one trick all Europeans hate is to choke off all the trade in the Zanzibar tradenode and just sit on it there. You can still funnel all of Asia and India into it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

skasion posted:

A full-on trade system rework is probably not going to happen since apparently it's insanely hard to program and balance. I would enjoy if there were a really expensive way to create a new trade route, like pay a couple thousand diplo power to connect Brazil directly to English Channel or something, but I doubt that will ever happen either for the same reason.

This. It'll be neat if trade could flow more fluidly, but even the fixed network we have is way, way better than the EU3 system. As I recall, "we redid trade" was one of the central planks in moving from 3->4. Redoing it would be so complicated and expensive that I don't expect it'll happen until an EU5 is in the works.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Oh, it's worlds better than EUIII, and I'm not hoping for a rework before a sequel, but the current system can be so weird and gamey. Like Japan seizing the Ivory Coast and making it their trade hub because otherwise they can't make any money off owning Indonesia or India, and ships can sail west across the Pacific from California, but not South America.

Actually the whole thing where you can just seize one essential node like South Africa and suck all the trade away from other Europeans like a vampire drives me nuts.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Europe is rich, so is India. So go both East and West.

Well the rule is that Great Powers can intervene in any war with GPs on either side, as long as there's an unbalanced amount of GPs. And then they can intervene on whichever side has fewer GPs.

What you describe is a bit silly, but I'd say only because it would have been better to wait a few months and let Spain's armies march off for a while, then intervene. Silly AI.

Yeah I know that's the rule. I apologize if it seemed like I was calling it a bug. I wasn't.

I think the rule could use a little work which is why I brought up V2 besides the fact it's the best game ever made. Intervening on an attacker's side doesn't make sense to me ever really but especially not when they aren't even losing yet.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Koramei posted:

That makes sense though. Trade isn't the state literally sending people out and moving goods, it represents their influence extending in those places too. Local merchants cooperating with them, or English etc merchants working through middle men all the way to your country a node away form them.

I really like the trade system, it makes the game world feel big and alive. Obviously it'd be nice if the directions were dynamic too but it's still pretty good.

e: I guess it makes less sense when Europeans project power across an as-of-yet unexplored Atlantic, but eh

Yeah, I should have established: I'm playing in North America this game. So there shouldn't be any trade going across the Atlantic.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Ethiopia is really great right now. They're close enough to Europe to get institutions pretty quickly, and with your starting god ruler you can bootstrap yourself the Renaissance. You'll want to go Exploration and cut off the Euros from India and Asia, so you have a good chance of Colonialism spawning in one of your ports which makes for an amusing twist on the regular tech cost production.

The changes to forts makes Ethiopia's high Fort Defense and nasty terrain super awesome.

Overall I'm really liking institutions. Renaissance and Printing Press always spawn in Europe but a player in Asia or Africa can spawn the other institutions and really change the balance in tech spread.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, Ethiopia is real nice now. Never played them before but they can just roll over the other nearby nations without issue at the start and they have expansion options in Egypt/Arabia.

I hadn't actually pick an idea set yet, but Exploration sounds good as any. Didn't want to spend the points for an admin or mil idea set, but the diplo ideas didn't look too great.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Minding my own business as the PLC, beating up Muscovy. I see a stability hit. Oh, I got a new ruler, looks like a Habsburg. Keep smashing Muscovy, humiliate my rival, wait a few more minute. See another popup. I am now the senior in a PU over Austria. :v:

Rapner
May 7, 2013

TorakFade posted:

200 hours in this game and I still suck at it.

I want to be england, and I want to kill or at least neuter france.

How do I do that? They can beat me, Castille, Portugal and savoy without breaking a sweat :stare:

Don't worry, in a while you'll be like me and have 600 hours in this game and still suck at it.

Trogdos! posted:

How is everyone's multiplayer? My friend and I are having some really bad connectivity issues in MP after RoM. Everything worked fine a week before but now my friend keeps lagging behind, causing slowdowns and desyncs. It's essentially unplayable due to constant interruptions. The save game transfer also sometimes progresses at a glacial pace.

I got the impression from my more technologically-versed friend that our mp game data passes via a master server in the US (we're in Europe) and that connection keeps timing out / the ping goes up to like 150++, causing the problems :shrug:

Is anyone playing cross-platform? I've found that the only way to get multiplayer stable is if everyone is on Windows.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Minding my own business as the PLC, beating up Muscovy. I see a stability hit. Oh, I got a new ruler, looks like a Habsburg. Keep smashing Muscovy, humiliate my rival, wait a few more minute. See another popup. I am now the senior in a PU over Austria. :v:

Beats the hell out of my "Brandenburg gets an heir like a month before the ruler dies denying you a PU and also decides to rival you" game I just had.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Grr. It's 1590 and I need 3 provinces to form the Kingdom of God: Piedmont and Milan (owned by regional power Savoy) and HRE territory Südtirol (owned by Austria, who are uncharacteristically small). I'm filthy rich because I own both Genoa and Venezia but not rich enough that I can fight off Savoy's best friend France or the HRE. Guess I'm expanding southward to finish off Naples and beat up some Muslim states.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

AnoHito posted:

Beats the hell out of my "Brandenburg gets an heir like a month before the ruler dies denying you a PU and also decides to rival you" game I just had.

You gotta build up that trust.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
In my Navarra game, the Iberian peninsula is having an, uh, interesting time:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

You gotta build up that trust.

But then how am I supposed to make them pay for slighting me by ripping them to pieces and watching them die a painful and humiliating death?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Grr. It's 1590 and I need 3 provinces to form the Kingdom of God: Piedmont and Milan (owned by regional power Savoy) and HRE territory Südtirol (owned by Austria, who are uncharacteristically small). I'm filthy rich because I own both Genoa and Venezia but not rich enough that I can fight off Savoy's best friend France or the HRE. Guess I'm expanding southward to finish off Naples and beat up some Muslim states.

Maybe ally France and try to drag them into a war on your side?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Started an Ethiopia game. Yeah, it's not bad. Too bad you're gobbling scrub tier provinces left and right and all across Somali. Smh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Tsyni posted:

Started an Ethiopia game. Yeah, it's not bad. Too bad you're gobbling scrub tier provinces left and right and all across Somali. Smh.

Just a little farther south and you punch through into the gold mines and wildly profitable trade nodes though!

• Locked thread