Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I was expecting the game to be poorly balanced and with bad AI but I'm still a little disappointed that it's looking more and more likely to be true. As someone who likes slower games and thought the endgame went too fast even on Marathon in V, the overly fast tech advancement is especially unfortunate.

Also, I wonder if the Eureka bonuses and the bad AI are gonna compound V's difficulty level problem even further. Namely that on lower difficulties you can walk all over the AI because they don't know what they're doing but on higher difficulties it'll be all but impossible to keep up with them in tech because of their bonuses to everything allowing them to also get the Eureka bonuses faster, constantly putting them even further ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I wonder if that stream ends up being a net loss for them, as it didn't make the game look good at all. I'm not cancelling my preorder or anything, but it was disappointing in almost every area.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Remember in WWII when the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany signed their Frontier Treaty, declared war on Poland, and then sat on their thumbs waiting for the other to get in a bloody mess?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Double Bill posted:

I wonder if that stream ends up being a net loss for them, as it didn't make the game look good at all. I'm not cancelling my preorder or anything, but it was disappointing in almost every area.

It was really hard to follow anything at all because it's just jumping around the map randomly. I watched the first half hour and then skipped through the rest checking every dozen or so minutes.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Same for me. It seemed very boring and was there something wrong with the graphics? The terrain didn't look very good to me, I'm not talking about the quality of the stream.

Still looking forward to it and I'm sure I will put 1000 hours into it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Remember in WWII when the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany signed their Frontier Treaty, declared war on Poland, and then sat on their thumbs waiting for the other to get in a bloody mess?

Well I DO remember how the UK and France declared war on German in reply to them attacking Poland and then sat on their thumbs hoping that maybe Germany would collapse when blockaded.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Is AI modding fairly popular? It might be better to officially incentivize the modding community to compete and iterate against each other to build your AI.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

AFAIK, they haven't revealed anything about modding and how deeply you can affect the game, other than it being "powerful" and allowing mods to be used in MP without DLC shenanigans.

I don't really care about the AI being able to launch successful conquest campaigns, as long as it can put a decent fight when my own army comes knocking.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Is AI modding fairly popular? It might be better to officially incentivize the modding community to compete and iterate against each other to build your AI.

This sounds like a terrible idea because most modders don't understand a thing about balance and AI hacks tend to be squarely in the territory of tryhards who have otherwise failed out of life and are only good at one specific game who think it's okay to bury cool features like new units and abilities under "We removed easy mode and the game now spawns four times as many enemies. Why? Because I can handle it... what, you can't? :smug:"

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Except Firaxis have a good track record, especially within the Civ series, of robust patches long after release day. That doesn't include DLC / expansions.

Not to say that modders won't come up with AI improvements - if I remember correctly, Firaxis ended up incorporating a certain mods improvements into their AI code (with permission natch).

And they couldn't have done this before release because?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

No one's saying it's an ideal situation but if you want to not buy games because they launch incomplete these days, I really hope you don't actually enjoy games.

E: I've had clearer statements misinterpreted before, so to clarify: you wouldn't be buying any, because games just don't launch like that any more.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chucat posted:

And they couldn't have done this before release because?

Done what before release, exactly? Patch the game or use mods to improve their own code? Because both of those things kind of have to happen post-release.

If you're asking why they didn't make it better or something before release, they have been working on it but are, well, going to release the game now. Unless you'd prefer it get pushed back, this is what we're getting on release. Something they seem to believe is acceptable, even if they agree with most viewers and players that there's room for improvement. Which, as multiple people have stated, is probably coming because Firaxis is good about that sort of thing.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So, is it now confirmed the AI dosn't do anything and the game's going to be pretty pointless to play against it?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

AlphaKretin posted:

No one's saying it's an ideal situation but if you want to not buy games because they launch incomplete these days, I really hope you don't actually enjoy games.

E: I've had clearer statements misinterpreted before, so to clarify: you wouldn't be buying any, because games just don't launch like that any more.

Hahaha, really?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm not saying that's how this game is but that's how the person I was replying to seemed to feel. :shrug:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
It's not even true, plenty of (or even most) games ship in a perfectly fine condition these days and plenty of games didn't do so even back in the day. Plus there are degrees of "incompleteness" and how much they affect the overall quality.

Of course, games with many moving parts like 4X games or large RPGs tend to more often release in worse condition. But again, just how bad the condition is makes all the difference, and that we'll see soon enough.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

Done what before release, exactly? Patch the game or use mods to improve their own code? Because both of those things kind of have to happen post-release.

If you're asking why they didn't make it better or something before release, they have been working on it but are, well, going to release the game now. Unless you'd prefer it get pushed back, this is what we're getting on release. Something they seem to believe is acceptable, even if they agree with most viewers and players that there's room for improvement. Which, as multiple people have stated, is probably coming because Firaxis is good about that sort of thing.

Except it's not an exploit some player found with optimal play, it's just the AI playing badly.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

I will probably hold off on paying the release price for Civ 6 until I read some good reviews, but I've now got the Civ itch again.

Is there a thread consensus over which game is better - Civ 4 or Civ 5? I have both, fully DLCd, but haven't spent much time with either of them.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
This will work for using vpn? I've not done it before.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3s0ztf/step_by_step_vpn_tutorial_how_to_unlock_fallout_4/

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Prince John posted:

Is there a thread consensus over which game is better - Civ 4 or Civ 5?

There was, until you asked this question.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Prince John posted:

I will probably hold off on paying the release price for Civ 6 until I read some good reviews, but I've now got the Civ itch again.

Is there a thread consensus over which game is better - Civ 4 or Civ 5? I have both, fully DLCd, but haven't spent much time with either of them.

4 is harder, better balanced (I think) and the AI is way more effective. But I much prefer 5 systems for culture, ideology and religion, and I miss then too much when playing 4.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

IDK but I would assume it works the same way as the guide for VPNs going around r/civ, I'm going to try it when I get back from work tomorrow to get it a sweet 3 hours early No wait that's 15 hours early No I was right it's 3 hours, I hate 12h time.
https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/589vr9/civ_vi_unlock_times_and_a_guide_for_unlocking/

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 20, 2016

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

The White Dragon posted:

This sounds like a terrible idea because most modders don't understand a thing about balance and AI hacks tend to be squarely in the territory of tryhards who have otherwise failed out of life and are only good at one specific game who think it's okay to bury cool features like new units and abilities under "We removed easy mode and the game now spawns four times as many enemies. Why? Because I can handle it... what, you can't? :smug:"

coming from someone who exclusively plays huge/marathon/polynesia: lmao

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Elias_Maluco posted:

4 is harder, better balanced (I think) and the AI is way more effective. But I much prefer 5 systems for culture, ideology and religion, and I miss then too much when playing 4.

I miss corporations in IV if only because of how hilarious they got. I would unironically love them in VI but I doubt they're bringing back money-religions. As great as customization of corporations would be.

But yeah, I'd say BTS IV was better than Vanilla V by a mile due to how much of a goddamned clusterfuck V was at launch. GTS brought them up to parity, but I kinda liked the new systems a bit more and IV was starting to get a bit dated at that point. Finally BNW dragged V into a better place than IV.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 31, 2022

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Phobophilia posted:

coming from someone who exclusively plays huge/marathon/polynesia: lmao

Hey I know how to exploit the AI just as hard as anyone else, I did the "sheep among wolves" game where it's like Small/Immortal/You're Gandhi/Your neighbors are Monty, Genghis, etc. easily enough. Polynesia Marathon Large maps is merely a matter of preference 'cause I'm here for Sim Civilization, not Wow This Computer Sure Can Do Things When It Has Lots Of Bonuses.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 20, 2016

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I don't understand why there was a spelling error in the build they used for the battle royale.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

I don't understand why there was a spelling error in the build they used for the battle royale.

Moreover why the poo poo did they use a build that didn't display any resources in the map. It was just barren nothingness

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Some more soundtrack if you want before the game's release.

Sogno di Volare ("The Dream of Flight")
Industrial English Theme
Industrial Brazilian Theme

Actually, how would you just like the whole soundtrack?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0wxyMkZxx8

Live Sogno di Volare, too.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 20, 2016

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I got this game Steam gifted to me for my birthday. Is there a way to get a refund? Does the game ping back to the gifter or something weird like that?

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Hogama posted:

Some more soundtrack if you want before the game's release.

Sogno di Volare ("The Dream of Flight")

OH gently caress.

Everyone listen to this. Don't just scroll past listen to it. It's magnificent.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Woah, hot dog. Christopher Tin sure is back in the game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Captain Fargle posted:

OH gently caress.

Everyone listen to this. Don't just scroll past listen to it. It's magnificent.

Were we expecting any different from the man who gave us Baba Yetu?

(Countdown to a mod replacing the title music with Baba Yetu)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Gort posted:

I got this game Steam gifted to me for my birthday. Is there a way to get a refund? Does the game ping back to the gifter or something weird like that?
I believe that if you refuse it, it goes back to the sender's inventory and they can refund or gift someone else at their discretion. Or you can accept it into your inventory and gift someone else yourself. I think that's how it works. Though if you accepted it and didn't already have it in your library, I have no idea how it works from there.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Hogama posted:

Actually, how would you just like the whole soundtrack?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0wxyMkZxx8

Dang, those are all unlabeled and in no apparent order. I clicked around a bit and landed on the second set (starts around the 10 minute mark) and it is baller and viking as heck. I'm calling Norway on it.

E: Holy poo poo, Russia's theme (~38 minutes) is Kalinka. That is amazing.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 20, 2016

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
The AI will be total poo poo for at least a year. Then after some expansions and patches it will be OK. Just like every modern Civ game. Goons never learn.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Dang, those are all unlabeled and in no apparent order. I clicked around a bit and landed on the second set (starts around the 10 minute mark) and it is baller and viking as heck. I'm calling Norway on it.

E: NEvermind, I'm an idiot.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Iowa posted:

E: NEvermind, I'm an idiot.

Nice user name

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've figured it out. They're playing in order on the list - but the upload only has half of the list! It starts from Kongo.
Norway's theme is Gjendines Bånlåt, if I'm not wildly mistaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Jesus Christ the game isn't even out yet