Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

With the British cruisers out and with what was tested before, and what we have now, from smoke sitting fast firing HE spamming cruisers, to smoke sitting, fast firing AP spamming cruisers. it feels like wargamming at least knows just how much of a joke the fire mechanics are, and I kinda hope its a sign that they are looking at a rework for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Stevefin posted:

With the British cruisers out and with what was tested before, and what we have now, from smoke sitting fast firing HE spamming cruisers, to smoke sitting, fast firing AP spamming cruisers. it feels like wargamming at least knows just how much of a joke the fire mechanics are, and I kinda hope its a sign that they are looking at a rework for it

The British Battleships will be HE only, with the Warspite being the special snowflake with both HE and AP.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The problem is that HE is the only semi-reliable way to equalize a BB if you're in anything but a BB. They would be forced to finally work out a way for other ship types to shoot BBs and actually hurt them badly at range without fires as they are now.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

The Edinburgh does absurd damage to BBs up close. 11k salvos against bismarcks, heh.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Asproigerosis posted:

I have a lot of free time at my job. Like most places run by people completed disconnected from reality, there is a no personal electronic devices policy. My bosses don't care because it is TYOOL 2016, but I don't have friends so loving around on the phone isn't even useful for me. I decided that spending my free time making models would be amusing so I bought this.

Looking forward to showing off the drenched in godzilla snot glue and whore makeup paint job that results.

How much do these things cost?

Vatek fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 20, 2016

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
It was $60, but maybe I have a poor sense of cost because I didn't think that was much.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
The 1/350 ones are really expensive from the looks of it, especially the larger hulls. A Mogami is ~220 USD.

Too bad they don't have a Nelson.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 20, 2016

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Vatek posted:

The 1/350 ones are really expensive from the looks of it, especially the larger hulls. A Mogami is ~220 USD.

Too bad they don't have a Nelson.

I think I saw said mogami for not that much, but now I'm not sure.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Some of those are collector's items and receive huge markups depending on if there was a very limited run on their production and/or if you have to import them online, for example. The plastic and cost to design and make the dies to make the parts are not actually worth that much, so common kits are super-cheap

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Had a typical ranked game where one BB on my team was AFK and another was too terrified to get within 15km of a red ship. But Posiedon smiled upon me, for WARBEASTY was the enemy CV and we rolled them. For the record, he is rank 15.

Lakedaimon fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 20, 2016

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Wargaming going to miss out on easy money by not releasing a totally fictional armored and armed titanic premium tier 3 battleship.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Its repair will work against fire but not flooding.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I really like the Edinburgh. I'm getting a lot of poo poo in chat about having one but they can't argue with the results.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

I went from rank 8 to 11 today. Something like 12-13 losses in a row. Discouraging.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I just got an ingame offer for a Lo Yang, worth it? They want 6k gold for it.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

CitizenKain posted:

I just got an ingame offer for a Lo Yang, worth it? They want 6k gold for it.

It's a Benson C Hull with Hydro and slightly less HP and slightly worse torps (damage/speed). Good for ranked, good for random, good for loving over other DDs by running up to their smoke and popping hydro.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Went for it, time was running out.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The Lo Yang is wonderful. Hydroacoustic alone makes it worthwhile for both defensive and offensive smoke play, but the anaemic torpedo damage is somewhat disappointing.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

CitizenKain posted:

Went for it, time was running out.

Really if you like the US DDs you're going to love it. I guess another downside is that it uses "Pan-Asian" captains so you have to start over and can only (currently) swap with an Anshan.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I honestly would have bought Anshan if it wasn't just a tier 6 Gnevny with better torpedoes. A major issue despite being Pan-Asian is that Expert Marksman is pointless on the Lo Yang, but Anshan needs it. Maybe if it were Ognevoi..

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

not bad for a first game in the Caledon

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Fiji is ok too, I guess...

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 20, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

RN cruisers are great, and the brown sea raging that they're terrible is completely baffling

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Im gonna head with the opposite opinion of NTRabbit because he is a botes idiot.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Good or not, enough people will be playing them badly for BBs to have a really fun time.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

no bones about it posted:

Im gonna head with the opposite opinion of NTRabbit because he is a botes idiot.

And yet the 3 or 4 pages after the last tantrum, everyone is having the exact problem with ranked I was talking about, either getting stuck, or playing far too many battles to advance, because consistently being able to hold top spot to prevent star loss in the high amount of losing games is something even a ship like the Atago can't manage - just like last season, the only way to consistently do it is with DD capping xp.

I really didn't want to point it out, but hey, you asked.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 20, 2016

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

no bones about it posted:

Well, a broken clock etc.

Tier 1 and 2 were whatever, but my first impression on the Caledon is pretty good. It's a beefed up DD that snuck in the depot one night and switched his smoke for a BB's repair gubbins. Can't judge whether it's actually good or not, but I'm having fun with it.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

I found playing low tiers kind of rough, not enough guns to convincingly damage BB's and there are still a lot of them about, but had some good games.

High tier british cruisers have been going through my bismarck like a chainsaw.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

My Konig Albert was feasting on Weymouths and Caleadons last night, was a good time.

I'm hearing that someone already got an Imp Nicki from a lucky box, which is encouraging. My friend this morning, however, got this:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Asproigerosis posted:

I have a lot of free time at my job. Like most places run by people completed disconnected from reality, there is a no personal electronic devices policy. My bosses don't care because it is TYOOL 2016, but I don't have friends so loving around on the phone isn't even useful for me. I decided that spending my free time making models would be amusing so I bought this.

Looking forward to showing off the drenched in godzilla snot glue and whore makeup paint job that results.

Ha. I did a lot of those ship models as a teenager. My skill at painting has likely deteriorated in the past ~23 years.

I played the British light cruisers up to Tier III; pretty good so far. I'm still figuring out how to play them, though I have some idea thanks to Flamu's videos. I've grown to really like his channel. He's a superior player to Chase and Jingles, and I like his take on the different ships.

Vorkosigan posted:

My Konig Albert was feasting on Weymouths and Caleadons last night, was a good time.

I'm hearing that someone already got an Imp Nicki from a lucky box, which is encouraging. My friend this morning, however, got this:

An Imp Nicky would be nice. Also, I think it's time to dust off my Ark Beta to dunk on CL's.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

An Imp Nicky would be nice. Also, I think it's time to dust off my Ark Beta to dunk on CL's.

https://clips.twitch.tv/vuigarrtheviking/CuteLlamaUncleNox

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I really don't like the Weymouth, its only tier 2 so who cares, but the Caledon is fun. It feels like a Tenryu.

I thought this would be a good time to drag out the St Louis, but Brit cruisers give no fucks about its armor and will carve off a steady chunk of health per salvo. I did manage to nail a Caledon that went broadside to me and hit him with 4 citadels though.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

CitizenKain posted:

I really don't like the Weymouth, its only tier 2 so who cares, but the Caledon is fun. It feels like a Tenryu.

I thought this would be a good time to drag out the St Louis, but Brit cruisers give no fucks about its armor and will carve off a steady chunk of health per salvo. I did manage to nail a Caledon that went broadside to me and hit him with 4 citadels though.

I have a totally different experience with that ship.
I just fought with my (newly bought) Caledon against a St-Louis and half my shots would not penetrate at all. A full broadside wasted like that.
Then I got one shot by a BB.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

CitizenKain posted:

Caledons and Weymouths have no armor at all. I'm getting citadel hits on them with freaking HE fire, for crying out loud. Reliably.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

You know you've got a poo poo team when a loving afk Myoko gets more xp than half your retards, due to spotting damage and being on the winning team.

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010
Turns out T2 Brit cruisers have no trouble with Mikasa armor at all. I was really hoping to wade in and reap XP :(

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Dalael posted:

I have a totally different experience with that ship.
I just fought with my (newly bought) Caledon against a St-Louis and half my shots would not penetrate at all. A full broadside wasted like that.
Then I got one shot by a BB.

St. Louis is armored like a T10 cruiser though, so not exactly the best point of comparison.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I just don't see the point of these rn cruisers. they just don't have the staying power with this bb heavy meta. in fact, it just helps to enforce it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
There doesn't need to be a point, it's a new line, people will grind it out of boredom's or OCD's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

JuffoWup posted:

I just don't see the point of these rn cruisers. they just don't have the staying power with this bb heavy meta. in fact, it just helps to enforce it.

It's chum in the water to keep the BB whales happy while everyone else tries the new toys.

Citadel-flavor chum.