Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuckshoes
Jul 11, 2001

sup ladies

Shoren posted:

Inflate himself with air then condense it down into liquid? Instead of punching with the equivalent of a balloon he starts punching with air tanks.

Gomu Gomu no OSHA Violation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1tosV3KSFc&t=104s

Fuckshoes fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
hankering for a chapter here. gimme my fix oda.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

tsob posted:

Luffy didn't actually run away and rest at regular intervals as is - but he also wasn't in Gear Fourth for most of the fight so he wouldn't need to if that's what you're speaking about. Cracker also didn't rush him because he was getting tired, at least from what he says - he rushed him because he thought Luffy at his limit and thus vulnerable. Luffy also doesn't get paralyzed after leaving Gear Fourth. Even when his body forcibly left that state on his way to deal one more blow to Doflamingo he was able to move, just weak and slow - though he perked up a bit upon seeing Sabo, so it seems to be more that he's drained physically than that he's drained mentally. That was after about a half hour in that state however (there's one narrator box saying "20 minutes later" during their fight), and that was when he was going all out using a large variety of moves, flying around the place, tanking a good few blows from Doflamingo himself along with his strings and using moves that are almost certainly highly taxing in comparison to the Kong Gun he used on Cracker, like Organ Kong Gun, Cavalry Cannons, Pythons and Leo Cannon.

Luffy didn't get paralyzed because he ran away, then left Gear 4, before his Haki and stamina were exhausted. Without Nami and the Homies helping, he couldn't have done that; Cracker would have chased him down.

quote:

While he still wouldn't have had 11 hours worth of Gear Fourth, (a) he probably would have had closer to an hour or more if all he was doing was busting Cracker biscuit men using Kong Guns, (b) he generally increases his stamina for new forms arc to arc, and could do more and be more in Gear Second and Gear Third during Impel Down than during Water 7, two arcs before hand and the two times he really had to stretch it since he gets more used to using the form and the ways it taxes him, but mostly (c) it kind of wouldn't matter, since what prompted the attack on Cracker's behalf was perceived weakness, not a hard time limit. And taking himself out of Gear Fourth to gain time to think or recover is just as much a perceived weakness as him appearing to be full.

Cracker doesn't risk his own body if he can help it, since he hates pain. He would have had the biscuit soldiers attack Luffy while he was out of Gear 4.

quote:

More to the point though, I just can't see this fight as being a limit on Luffy and think it's just another example of an early arc fight to build tension by making Luffy look like he's at a limit and can't go much higher - same as the fights he lost against Crocodile, needing help against Satori, the fight he lost against Lucci and so on. The combination of Luffy seemingly struggling and the enemy saying that he can go no further and there's limits he can't surpass is a common theme and help build tension that the reader achieves satisfaction by seeing him blow past, especially if the later fight is a struggle. Which is another thing: this fight lasted a long duration, but I just can't see it as struggle on Luffy's behalf, like his fights against those guys. Fights that left him battered and drained, that had him nearly faint from over exertion and enemy attacks (like Croc's poison) and just generally were visibly harder on him. Luffy was stymied during the fight as to how to hit Cracker, but nothing about it comes across to me like it's him at a limit and he can't go any higher or further or fight anyone stronger. He might lose against Big Mam/Mom (I doubt it), but if he does it won't be because Cracker was his limit, it'll be because he hasn't figured out how to beat her yet, like Crocodile.

When he defeats anyone stronger than Cracker (assuming no particular matchup/situational advantage), it will be because he got stronger since his fight against Cracker, not because he was somehow holding back against Cracker.

quote:

Also, having just re-read the Doflamingo fight, there's no way Luffy isn't busting out some awakening in his next big fight, even if it's in a minor way or even unintentional. And if there is to be a Gear Fifth - which there probably will, it'll probably be him awakening his devil fruit, however it manifests, to do it.

Maybe he will, but he doesn't have Awakening or Gear Fifth yet.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Woah now, what makes you think Luffy's hiding a fifth gear? I have a feeling it's gonna be Gear 4 --》End Game from here on out, just him using the form more creatively in further arcs.

The man gave us King Kong Gun, ain't no reason to mess with perfection

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there's no way luffy doesn't bust out a new form. the fruit awakening thing is a given

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012
I'm really not a fan of awakening as a concept. It's not because there's anything wrong with it, I just don't know who is and isn't awakened in the story already.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Awakening as a concept is interesting, and I'm sure Oda introduced it with Doflamingo for a reason, but with our current understanding of devil fruits the whole situation is kinda lovely. It'll probably all make sense once Vegapunk drops some knowledge on us, but until then there's going to be wild speculation as to what one can and cannot do through awakening.

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012
I can't really imagine how it would work with Zoan's other than extreme body control. With Logia's, almost everyone who has a logia is so strong that it's difficult to form a baseline. I guess Caesar sucks, but his fruit is really good. Also, I miss Smoker, even if his fruit is a worse Caesars (I don't know if they're even different)?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Just give me an awakened Chopper, it's all I ask. Let him combine all his forms into one unstoppable super deer.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I'm not a fan of awakening due to how long it took for it to be introduced into the story. Haki was hinted at numerous times since the very beginning, whereas we didn't hear anything about Awakening since its brief mention in Impel Down, and an even briefer mention in Dressrosa. It feels more like something that has been added late in the story's development, and it's going to be harder to explain why it has never been mentioned before when we have seen so many DF users in the past.

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012
Chopper becomes "Planet Hulk" Hulk.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I'm not a fan of awakening due to how long it took for it to be introduced into the story. Haki was hinted at numerous times since the very beginning, whereas we didn't hear anything about Awakening since its brief mention in Impel Down, and an even briefer mention in Dressrosa. It feels more like something that has been added late in the story's development, and it's going to be harder to explain why it has never been mentioned before when we have seen so many DF users in the past.

I mean, I'm fine with our hero being one of a few people worldwide who achieves some divine state to become the strongest person ever, it's kind of a staple of shounen. Luffy's going to have that one big punch at series' end and I'm sure awakening is just the path.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Just give me an awakened Chopper, it's all I ask. Let him combine all his forms into one unstoppable super deer.

That's kinda what Monster Point is. I feel like an awakened Chopper would mean that he has prolonged access to that form without Rumble Balls or being too exausted to move after.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Parrotine posted:

Woah now, what makes you think Luffy's hiding a fifth gear? I have a feeling it's gonna be Gear 4 --》End Game from here on out, just him using the form more creatively in further arcs.

The man gave us King Kong Gun, ain't no reason to mess with perfection

most cars usually have 5 gears, not that it really means much

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
luffy probably has gear 5 already based on panels before doffy's finishing blow, and awakening will be his final powerup.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Luffy is not a car
Hes a goddam Semi and thus has 18 gears

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My favorite Devil Fruit is the Car-Car Fruit. It made me into a Car Man!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
way too much effort was put into lovingly animating that

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

way too much effort was put into lovingly animating that

Especially the bit with his butt.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i get the car part but why does the face turn into iron man

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

My favorite Devil Fruit is the Car-Car Fruit. It made me into a Car Man!

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Drink Top posted:

I can't really imagine how it would work with Zoan's other than extreme body control. With Logia's, almost everyone who has a logia is so strong that it's difficult to form a baseline. I guess Caesar sucks, but his fruit is really good. Also, I miss Smoker, even if his fruit is a worse Caesars (I don't know if they're even different)?
I think the guards at Impel Down were awakened Zoans; they're much stronger and heal much more quickly but they didn't talk at all. And one was a chihuahua.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

oddium posted:

i get the car part but why does the face turn into iron man

You see, when Turbo Teen eats or drinks something hot or spicy, he turns into a car.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

oh gently caress

http://mangastream.com/r/one_piece/843/3743/1

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Latest chapter is up. 843 - Vinsmoke Sanji.

Interesting revelation about Big Mom. She's got weather manipulation tricks that, I'm assuming, don't stem from her devil fruit but maybe from her own weather manipulating device. (Prometheus and Zeus being like the Clima Tract but on a much larger scale) Might be interesting to see Nami go up against someone else who can manipulate the weather.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Latest chapter is up. 843 - Vinsmoke Sanji.

Interesting revelation about Big Mom. She's got weather manipulation tricks that, I'm assuming, don't stem from her devil fruit but maybe from her own weather manipulating device. (Prometheus and Zeus being like the Clima Tract but on a much larger scale) Might be interesting to see Nami go up against someone else who can manipulate the weather.
This chapter seemed to foreshadow Nami getting those powers too??

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Do you remember when she was singing her song about a wedding? The sun and clouds were alive and talking like the rest of the other formerly inanimate objects imbued with her Soul powers.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Oh. We're doing that song and dance again, huh.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 20, 2016

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Sanji's definitely scheming something. He knows just how pointless resisting Luffy is, and just because he can match Luffy physically, unlike Robin, it doesn't mean he would have a better chance of pulling this off. Maybe he's just buying time until he can get the bracelets off?

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Here's hoping they resolve the "Sanji pretends to be an rear end in a top hat to protect loved ones" drama fairly quickly, like after a brief fanservicey Luffy vs Sanji fight Sanji somehow communicates his situation to Luffy and Nami and they start putting together a rescue plan. We don't need a step by step repeat of Enies Lobby with Sanji playing the role of Robin.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Sanji... I thought we were homies. Yo that poo poo ain't right.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Star Platinum posted:

Here's hoping they resolve the "Sanji pretends to be an rear end in a top hat to protect loved ones" drama fairly quickly, like after a brief fanservicey Luffy vs Sanji fight Sanji somehow communicates his situation to Luffy and Nami and they start putting together a rescue plan. We don't need a step by step repeat of Enies Lobby with Sanji playing the role of Robin.

Or a repeat of the Sanji being an idiot to protect Zeff for that matter. I'm fairly certain Sanji has learned by now and this is just a ruse.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Star Platinum posted:

Came here to post this

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Shoren posted:

just because he can match Luffy physically

haha come on now

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

oddium posted:

haha come on now

Stop being such a goon. I didn't say he had a chance at winning.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

oddium posted:

haha come on now

It's been like 3 minutes since he fought cracker. Luffy might get seastoned up in big mom's dungeon here and this will be an all-nami arc.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I'll remind you all that Judge and the boys all seem to rely heavily on electricity based attacks.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Matoi Ryuko posted:

It's been like 3 minutes since he fought cracker. Luffy might get seastoned up in big mom's dungeon here and this will be an all-nami arc.

yeah i'm not disputing luffy might get deus ex haki-ed. i do hope nami leads a rescue luffy arc though, and that she keeps her extremely cute dirndl for the rest of the manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

After we had the confirmation that swooning at the sight of a pretty woman is a shared tract between all Vinsmoke brothers, I now kinda want Nami to manipulate the three jackasses and maybe make them fight between themselves. Oda being Oda, I feel like there's odds of this actually happening...