Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Prince John posted:

I will probably hold off on paying the release price for Civ 6 until I read some good reviews, but I've now got the Civ itch again.

Is there a thread consensus over which game is better - Civ 4 or Civ 5? I have both, fully DLCd, but haven't spent much time with either of them.

Since you have all the DLC, try Civ V with the community patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

The soundtracks are incredible and apparently are unique per civ (don't think per leader) and will change as you go through the ages? I want to play each civ just to listen to their music now.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Jastiger posted:

Nice user name

Yeah thanks, I'm a super creative dude. Someday I'll actually get around to changing it, I've only been meaning to for like 3 years now.

On topic, loving the soundtrack, even if I can't identify which civ a lot of them belong to. Looking forward to hopefully busting open the game files in a couple of hours and seeing which is which. Need to hear those Aztec themes!

SlothBear posted:

The soundtracks are incredible and apparently are unique per civ (don't think per leader) and will change as you go through the ages? I want to play each civ just to listen to their music now.

Yeah, if you haven't seen it yet, this video goes into detail on how the songs work. It's a good watch.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm playing a dangerous game.

Forgot to refund my Steam bought Civ 6 last night so I could buy the GMG Deluxe edition. Send in my request this morning but now I gotta wait for it to process before adding my GMG key to Steam. This better go through before 11 PM tonight or I'm gonna be real sad.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Hogama posted:

I've figured it out. They're playing in order on the list - but the upload only has half of the list! It starts from Kongo.
Norway's theme is Gjendines Bånlåt, if I'm not wildly mistaken.

Yeah, that's the ticket. Thanks friendo!

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Wooo civ

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

It's already Friday somewhere.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Honestly it looks like the AI is better than people are giving credit for, even if it's not great. But I guess I'll find out in an hour. When wars lasted more than a few turns cities did get wrecked, but not a lot of wars were decalred in general.

Anyway, Modders are pretty optimistic about this game too, so you know.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
As a person who dabbles a bit into video game AI(including 4X AI, I rewrote the strategic AI for the game Sword of the Stars 2 a while back for my own personal use), I must say that the idea of trying to make a good AI for a game like Civ 6 would kind of terrify me. There are so many variables you have to keep track of, so many possible consequences to every action.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

SlothBear posted:

Like having multiple leaders, it's a feature that was in IV but not in V.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Sogno di Volare really has that "this is what a game about civilization should sound like" thing going on just like Baba Yetu did.

I'm not crying, you're crying!

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
30 minutes for you VPN cheaters and Oceania dwellers.

Haven't kept up too much with the in-depth streams. Which civ seems best for high-production and wonder whoring? It looks like China and Japan for early and late, respectively.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Just downloaded a 15MB day 0 patch. Firaxis confirmed as hack scum.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Godmachine posted:

Haven't kept up too much with the in-depth streams. Which civ seems best for high-production and wonder whoring? It looks like China and Japan for early and late, respectively.

Germany also gets a lot of late production.

Egypt builds Wonders more quickly.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I like Sogno di Volare so much!

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Godmachine posted:

Oh this has a tiered release? poo poo, getting a vpn I guess.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
What's the best free VPN to use for this trickery?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Haven't tried it yet but I've found this:

https://m.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3s0ztf/step_by_step_vpn_tutorial_how_to_unlock_fallout_4/

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Smoremaster posted:

a paid one

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

Smoremaster posted:

ViperVPN is solid and free.

Deki posted:

Oh this has a tiered release? poo poo, getting a vpn I guess.

Yes but thankfully it's lage regions and not actual timezones. NZ, Australia, Japan, etc will unlock in like 10 minutes.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I thought the release time was 11AM Eastern for the first tier? Did it get pushed back to 12?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you're using a vpn, do you just need that to unlock, or do you need to keep it running any time you want to play until your actual region release?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

This sounds like a terrible idea because most modders don't understand a thing about balance and AI hacks tend to be squarely in the territory of tryhards who have otherwise failed out of life and are only good at one specific game who think it's okay to bury cool features like new units and abilities under "We removed easy mode and the game now spawns four times as many enemies. Why? Because I can handle it... what, you can't? :smug:"

You couldn't be more wrong. Modders put out some extremely good civ 5 AI fixes. If you want to stick with a busted AI you can keep the original one the game ships with.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Azhais posted:

If you're using a vpn, do you just need that to unlock, or do you need to keep it running any time you want to play until your actual region release?

yeah keep it running whenever you want to start the program. i used a vpn for xcom's launch and when i turned it off the bastard locked again

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

Azhais posted:

Keep it on if you have Steam up. Otherwise, put Steam into Offline Mode and turn off the VPN.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

counterfeitsaint posted:

I thought the release time was 11AM Eastern for the first tier? Did it get pushed back to 12?

The US release time has always been 12am est tonight.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
Here's the best VPN guide I could find. Straight from r/civ:

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/589vr9/civ_vi_unlock_times_and_a_guide_for_unlocking/

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

hopeandjoy posted:

The US release time has always been 12am est tonight.

He is not talking about the US release

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I realize it doesn't matter because it's like 3 minutes away, but this was 2 pages ago, I don't know if it was wrong or just changed.

Krazyface posted:

:siren: The game will be released in the eastern countries in 9 hours: at 2 AM eastern Aus time, or 11 AM EST. Valve doesn't care if you VPN to play a game early, only if you VPN to cheat regional pricing. If something doesn't make sense, try reading the Civilopedia :siren:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm going to wait 12 hours like a good kid.

I'm just too lazy to gently caress around with vpns

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
VPN is working great! 8 minutes to de-encrypt. See you goons on the other side.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I can't seem to get it to work. I'm connected via vpn, made sure I have a Australia IP, if I go to the steam store via browser it says it's available. I exited out of steam and restarted but still nothing.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I'm going to wait 12 hours like a good kid.

I'm just too lazy to gently caress around with vpns

same

Actually I need to go to work in 30 minutes and I know better. I'll unlock it early tonight :v:

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
I used a VPN, but still get "pre-load complete: unreleased" :(

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Used a VPN to connect to Hong Kong. Now I'm very slowly downloading this update.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

GoGoGadget posted:

Used a VPN to connect to Hong Kong. Now I'm very slowly downloading this update.

Per that reddit post you can disconnect from the vpn after the download starts and it'll finish downloading without the VPN without issues. Just need to reconnect to play

lordsummerisle posted:

I used a VPN, but still get "pre-load complete: unreleased" :(

Need to kill steam then restart it when you're on the vpn. Steam remembers where you were when you started it

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Godmachine posted:

VPN is working great! 8 minutes to de-encrypt. See you goons on the other side.

Not working for me. Sigh. See you guys in eight hours I guess. I've restarted Steam three times with the Freedom VPN showing Tokyo as my location.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

Azhais posted:

Per that reddit post you can disconnect from the vpn after the download starts and it'll finish downloading without the VPN without issues. Just need to reconnect to play

Need to kill steam then restart it when you're on the vpn. Steam remembers where you were when you started it

Have killed steam several times.

I think it might be the steam mobile authenticator screwing me over...

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

Lorini posted:

Not working for me. Sigh. See you guys in eight hours I guess. I've restarted Steam three times with the Freedom VPN showing Tokyo as my location.

Try logging out of Steam then shutting it down. Turn on the VPN, open Steam, and log back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I realize it doesn't matter because it's like 3 minutes away, but this was 2 pages ago, I don't know if it was wrong or just changed.
That was correct. However the Eastern US/Canada timezone is currently in daylight savings time, so 11AM EST is Noon EDT.