Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

butt dickus posted:

What the heck? I ordered within minutes of it being available and mine says Nov 8-10. Maybe because I bought the 128GB XL? Maybe because I also ordered a Home? Scroogled again.

He said it was a Verizon order and Verizon orders ship from Verizon warehouses which are typically very efficient. They usually pull out all the stops to have all preorders in customer hands on release day.

It's also looking like there are zero differences in Verizon models compared to play store.

Edit: There are reports of the bootloader unlock being grayed out in developer options. Looks like it may be IMEI based.

More specifically, there's flavor text with the grayed out option that says something to the effect of "Check your internet connection or contact your carrier.". That strongly implies that it goes out to a IMEI db to check status for unlock.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Looking through the reviews I'm really not feeling excited about the Pixel. The combination of meh battery life, unexciting design with the price is leaving me thinking I might just get a 6P or a 5X. Price wise in the UK I'm seeing 32GB models for them available for £320 or £220 respectively, at least new models. Price point for either of those is ok and the better speakers and battery life on the 6P versus my N5 sounds good but is the price difference of £100 definitely worthwhile?

I'd even stick with the N5 but as I said before the antenna didn't like a new screen. I have tried all the suggested remedies (both banging and blowing) as well as taking the back off to recheck the connections (no obvious physical problems) so I definitely need a new phone. If the Pixel looked like a device with really top quality design, better sound and battery life I'd consider it but if they're going to keep the price point where it is I think I'm going to wait for the next round. Shame as I prefer the dimensions to the 6P or 5X.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
IMEI based bootloader locking seems to be the method they went with. That also seems to be the only difference, so the phones and ROMs are 100% identical. Nice.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

RVProfootballer posted:

FYI for people looking to upgrade, Amazon Warehouse has been having like new $225-270 (32-128 GB) Nexus 6Ps trickling out. I think a bunch got released October 1, then a handful get released each day for the last week or two. Should see a more sustained sale around that price as Thanksgiving approaches, of course.

drat it! I just bought one from swappa yesterday for $330.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ilkhan posted:

IMEI based bootloader locking seems to be the method they went with. That also seems to be the only difference, so the phones and ROMs are 100% identical. Nice.

Internet based check for bootloader unlock also makes it probable that someone could devise a man in the middle attack that spoofs an unlockable response.

Or, if you care about bootloader unlocking, buy from Google.

It is nice knowing that the carrier version will be unencumbered though, puts the best foot forward to Google.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

butt dickus posted:

What the heck? I ordered within minutes of it being available and mine says Nov 8-10. Maybe because I bought the 128GB XL? Maybe because I also ordered a Home? Scroogled again.

128GB XL and 32GB Pixel got charged to my card last night, sitting in processing now. Also did expedited shipping, though, says due 10/21-10/24. Haven't gotten a shipping notice yet, though.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Grumpwagon posted:

drat it! I just bought one from swappa yesterday for $330.

Price looks to have been going up, with 128 GB going for $320ish sometimes, 64 GB around $270. And don't worry too much, you have to 1-click purchase within like 5 seconds of stock coming in or a Slickdeals guy will snatch it before you can, so you almost certainly came out ahead when taking into account the cost of your time.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RVProfootballer posted:

Price looks to have been going up, with 128 GB going for $320ish sometimes, 64 GB around $270. And don't worry too much, you have to 1-click purchase within like 5 seconds of stock coming in or a Slickdeals guy will snatch it before you can, so you almost certainly came out ahead when taking into account the cost of your time.

Yeah, the resell market for 5x and 6P's softened in the lead up to the Pixel, pushing prices down as people waited to buy them in expectation of the Pixel. Then the Pixel launch and price point drove the 5x and 6P prices right back up.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone itt going to be selling 2 5x 32gb?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Speaking of visual voicemail, I got a message today through Project Fi that clearly said "four nine two zero", but that got translated/written as "4016". That's not even close! I'd understand if forty got turned into fourteen or something.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I'm sad that Samsung couldn't get Note 7 fixed. I think my 4 year old Note 2 is dying, restarted while texting and got stuck in a boot loop. Going to try wiping the phone with TWRP, if that doesn't work, I'm going to have to get a new phone now.

I don't really want a Galaxy S7 , but may have to get one. I'm interested in Pixel XL, but no expanded memory really sucks and not sure if I can wait until it gets delivered.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009

ijii posted:

I'm sad that Samsung couldn't get Note 7 fixed. I think my 4 year old Note 2 is dying, restarted while texting and got stuck in a boot loop. Going to try wiping the phone with TWRP, if that doesn't work, I'm going to have to get a new phone now.

I don't really want a Galaxy S7 , but may have to get one. I'm interested in Pixel XL, but no expanded memory really sucks and not sure if I can wait until it gets delivered.

I'm in the same boat, I think s7 edge is the next best thing but I'm also considering the lg v20 and might wait to see if the huawei mate 9 comes out in the US.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Phone set to be delivered tomorrow via FedEx. Looking forward to them showing up in the half hour nobody can be home! Also they won't let me redirect it to the local FedEx shop.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mess with an S7 Edge in the store before you buy it. Even though it's smaller, I didn't find it as comfortable in the hand as the Note 7. Also fondle a Moto X and see what you think of it.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
7.1 developer preview for 5X, 6P and Pixel C should be rolling out. Unenroll your devices if you enrolled to get 7.0 without the delay.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Red Warrior posted:

7.1 developer preview for 5X, 6P and Pixel C should be rolling out. Unenroll your devices if you enrolled to get 7.0 without the delay.
7.1 adds a restart command. Opting in.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Moey posted:

Pixel XL 128 arrives tomorrow according to FedEx.

What the gently caress? I ordered mine October 5th and my credit card still hasn't been charged.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ilkhan posted:

7.1 adds a restart command. Opting in.

It also removes Night Mode, which I didn't use much (I use Lux), but I know a lot of people really like.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

I said come in! posted:

What the gently caress? I ordered mine October 5th and my credit card still hasn't been charged.

Ordered on release day, 10/04, from the Google Store and mine should be here tomorrow as well. Guess people who ordered the next day are going to have to wait for the second wave of shipping or something?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
My second day order just charged. This is a roller coaster.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

100% Dundee posted:

Ordered on release day, 10/04, from the Google Store and mine should be here tomorrow as well. Guess people who ordered the next day are going to have to wait for the second wave of shipping or something?
I ordered on 10/4 at 10:28 AM PDT and they haven't even charged my card yet.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
Oh, we'd doing shipping reports? I got charged yesterday, and got my shipping notice at 7PM tonight. Tracking number isn't active yet (I have the page refreshing every 15 minutes, just to be sure. lol). 10/4 black XL-32

e: free/standard shipping from Los Angeles, ETA tomorrow (Friday).

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 20, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My XL live case shipped! :smith:

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My second day order just charged. This is a roller coaster.

I'm on the edge of my seat here! when will some guy get his phone!!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

CLAM DOWN posted:

My XL live case shipped! :smith:

Why isn't the regular case available yet. Ugh get it together goog.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Do any phones still have notification lights?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

All Samsungs, 6P, apparently the Pixels do, take your pick.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

5X too but it's kinda weak

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Pixel does but it's weak and the pulses intervals are too long.

Does stock Android have the always on notifications the S7 do?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ragingsheep posted:

Someone who gets theirs early has gotta try Lightflow on it.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Someone who gets theirs early has gotta try Lightflow on it.

What do you want to know?

I downloaded the free version of Lightflow and it does RGB fine. It does other colours too but they're less distinct.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ragingsheep posted:

What do you want to know?

I downloaded the free version of Lightflow and it does RGB fine. It does other colours too but they're less distinct.

Well, just curious if it works, since there are some phones on which it doesn't work very well or is super buggy, so I'm glad it does!

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Well, just curious if it works, since there are some phones on which it doesn't work very well or is super buggy, so I'm glad it does!

It works but reading around the web seems to suggest that it messes with the Ambient Display on Nexus/Pixel phones. It keeps making my screen turn on and off despite the only notification being Lightflow's own.

Edit: Seems to work fine.

Edit2: Nope, turns display on and off - just on a massive delay.

Ragingsheep fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 20, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ragingsheep posted:

It works but reading around the web seems to suggest that it messes with the Ambient Display on Nexus/Pixel phones. It keeps making my screen turn on and off despite the only notification being Lightflow's own.

Edit: Seems to work fine.

Edit2: Nope, turns display on and off - just on a massive delay.

Is this with the paid version or the free version? I know that a lot of device-specific fixes have been in the paid version for a while now.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Is this with the paid version or the free version? I know that a lot of device-specific fixes have been in the paid version for a while now.

Free version.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

XIII posted:

It also removes Night Mode, which I didn't use much (I use Lux), but I know a lot of people really like.

Night mode was "removed" in the second or third preview of 7.0 (although it's easily accessible if required). 7.1 is meant to bring it back at some point.

Rusty! fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 20, 2016

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
7.1.1 broke the sign-in process for my work wifi so back to 7.0 for me :(

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Ragingsheep posted:

Does stock Android have the always on notifications the S7 do?

No but it has Ambient Display.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

7.1.1 broke the sign-in process for my work wifi so back to 7.0 for me :(

Did you try clearing the old connection and starting fresh? Also just currious, is this a wifi portal or do you have ms-chap2 etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fingerprint gestures on my Pixel seem to do nothing. Is there a setting for that buried somewhere?