Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

my dad posted:

Huh. If that's how it works, I wonder who stole ours.

Poland sacrificed theirs to try and spell a Slavic language in the good Catholic alphabet rather than the borderline heretical Orthodox one. :v:

My favorite Polish word is probably zdzbla. Except there are also accents on three letters.

It means a blade of grass. Multiple blades are zdzbli.

Edit: pronounced, uh,
Z
J as in jerk
B
Wah.

Also I guess this means there are only accents on two letters, I am out of practice.

And in my terrible accent it comes out more like izz-jib-wah, for three actual syllables. :saddowns: I do not have the moral character to do Polish good.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

MikeCrotch posted:

Isn't this just classic authoritarian states making sure the army is loyal instead of competent so they don't start a coup? Considering what happened later during the war this doesn't seem like a stupid move on Diem (and the leaders that followed on from him)'s part.

One part I liked in A Bright Shining Lie was finding out the ARVN used US Intelligence reports of VM/VC troop locations as ways of avoiding those areas to avoid taking casualties.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

spectralent posted:

This reminds me, why was Italy "one tough gut"? Was the Axis resistance much stronger than expected or was the Allied planning too idealistic? In general, while it's rarely talked about, when it is I always get the impression Italy was far more of a meatgrinder than western europe.

Invading a rugged peninsula without what you would consider world class infrastructure in the 40s that was the home territory for one of the senior Axis members was a big issue. It's not like they were just going to write off Italy the way they could North Africa. It was also a rather narrow front to advance up. The geography of fighting a land campaign south to north in Italy just sucks.

There were also problems with establishing air superiority. All the nightmares about the Lufwaffe hitting the Normandy beachheads that led to the insane air defenses and air superiority campaign were very justified in light of the Italian campaign. We're talking luftwaffe air raids on ships supporting the Salerno landings that sank a bunch of cargo ships and released a gently caress load of mustard gas that the Allies brought along just in case.

Also when I said Anzio earlier as a "nearly failed landing" I meant Salerno although in retrospect they both were pretty loving rough.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

spectralent posted:

This reminds me, why was Italy "one tough gut"?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Looks deliciously flaky

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

For some weird reason I REALLY want a croissant after looking at that map.

Edit: Beaten, damnit.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Say... what if we sail at full steam up the Adriatic and unload near Venice, then advance along the Po valley cutting all of Italy off? No way they would see that coming!

Whoops sorry, I accidentally connected my ouija board to my PC and seem to have contacted Churchill. Disregard.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I was going to say "was the terrain bad?" but I remembered the bocage and assumed they were about equally bad. I'm guessing mountains are, in fact, even shittier than really narrow and borderline impassable hedgerow lanes though?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

spectralent posted:

I was going to say "was the terrain bad?" but I remembered the bocage and assumed they were about equally bad. I'm guessing mountains are, in fact, even shittier than really narrow and borderline impassable hedgerow lanes though?

Imagine if the bocage extended from Normandy to the Rhine. Once they got out they got out, but it's not like you're going to break through those mountains and into better terrain.

Also the bocage was a surprise. They thought they were waist high hedges, not the hell walls they really were. Everyone knew full loving well that Apennine Mountains were a thing.

edit: actually, that's another good notch on why invasions are so loving difficult. That was the largest, most well organized, intensively planned for invasion in history with total naval and air superiority. They built their own loving harbors and TOWED THEM ACROSS THE CHANNEL. Insane poo poo.

And it got stalled for months because of loving hedges. Oh, and let's not forget that the Wehrmacht was kind of busy getting destroyed in Poland. Can you imagine June '44 if 80% of the German Army wasn't stuck dealing with Bagration?

edit x2: look up some of the insane advantages in terms of troops, aircraft, and naval support that were involved in the Pacific island invasions, and look at how bloody some of those were despite all that.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 19, 2016

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cyrano4747 posted:

Imagine if the bocage extended from Normandy to the Rhine. Once they got out they got out, but it's not like you're going to break through those mountains and into better terrain.

Also the bocage was a surprise. They thought they were waist high hedges, not the hell walls they really were. Everyone knew full loving well that Apennine Mountains were a thing.

edit: actually, that's another good notch on why invasions are so loving difficult. That was the largest, most well organized, intensively planned for invasion in history with total naval and air superiority. They built their own loving harbors and TOWED THEM ACROSS THE CHANNEL. Insane poo poo.

And it got stalled for months because of loving hedges. Oh, and let's not forget that the Wehrmacht was kind of busy getting destroyed in Poland. Can you imagine June '44 if 80% of the German Army wasn't stuck dealing with Bagration?

edit x2: look up some of the insane advantages in terms of troops, aircraft, and naval support that were involved in the Pacific island invasions, and look at how bloody some of those were despite all that.

Also, the infrastructure of Italy was very skewed toward the part that remained German for almost the entire war and gave them a high level of operational/strategic mobility in the terrain. The Germans were also much more prepared for the Italian armistice than the Allies and a bunch of potentially useful Italian soldiers ended up in German labor/POW camps. The Allies were also very reluctant to make use of the Italians they had.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Panzeh posted:

Also, the infrastructure of Italy was very skewed toward the part that remained German for almost the entire war and gave them a high level of operational/strategic mobility in the terrain. The Germans were also much more prepared for the Italian armistice than the Allies and a bunch of potentially useful Italian soldiers ended up in German labor/POW camps. The Allies were also very reluctant to make use of the Italians they had.

Don't forget the continued presence of Italian fascist loyalists. Imagine if Vichy France showed up in the field in numbers.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cyrano4747 posted:

Don't forget the continued presence of Italian fascist loyalists. Imagine if Vichy France showed up in the field in numbers.

Vichy France was seen in some extent as the continuation of France, which is why it had a significant armed force, and also why it had significant defections when the Allies started to look like they were winning. The RSI was never seen as anything but a German creation and failed to inspire any serious kind of loyalty.

The Vichy forces showed up in numbers.. and then Vichy France was occupied when they defected in North Africa en masse. The RSI never really fielded significant numbers of front-line troops, though they did take part in many anti-partisan operations.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
This seems apropos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXl_xzqIRgk

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Anzio:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've got Bill Mauldin's 1945 book and one of the things his later cartoons complain about is how once D-Day happened everyone stopped paying attention to Italy and assumed the war was won there.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Also he drew cartoons under fire at Anzio with stamp ink.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, I thought fall was only a term Americans used to describe Autumn until I started seeing it pop up in Napoleonic memoirs for British soldiers.

Turns out it has Saxon origins.

Let this be a reminder that just because someone is English doesn't mean they know the language.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Let this be a reminder that just because someone is English doesn't mean they know the language.
the opposite in fact; the person i'm seeing used the word "bantz" the other day

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I would still really appreciate any direction the thread could give on finding a good book on or about Von Steuben.

I'm also looking to read something on T.E. Lawrence. I've looked at some biographies but quite a few have poor reviews on amazon. He's usually romanticized and viewed as a folk hero (which I understand), and I'd like a definitive starting point on where to start reading on him. Someone has to have written something of quality by now.

Probably easier, I'd also take a good book covering Grant and/or Sherman.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HEY GAL posted:

Sever.

Waroduce posted:

I'm also looking to read something on T.E. Lawrence. I've looked at some biographies but quite a few have poor reviews on amazon. He's usually romanticized and viewed as a folk hero (which I understand), and I'd like a definitive starting point on where to start reading on him. Someone has to have written something of quality by now.
Seven Pillars of Wisdom.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The Mint which I personally like better.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HEY GAL posted:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Lawrence in Arabia
by Scott Anderson is good.

But Seven pillars I think kind of tells you everything you need to know about him really.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Poland sacrificed theirs to try and spell a Slavic language in the good Catholic alphabet rather than the borderline heretical Orthodox one. :v:

My favorite Polish word is probably zdzbla. Except there are also accents on three letters.

It means a blade of grass. Multiple blades are zdzbli.

Edit: pronounced, uh,
Z
J as in jerk
B
Wah.

Also I guess this means there are only accents on two letters, I am out of practice.

And in my terrible accent it comes out more like izz-jib-wah, for three actual syllables. :saddowns: I do not have the moral character to do Polish good.

Untrue on pretty much all counts.

First: when Poland adopted Catholicism in mid-10th century1, nobody really concerned themselves with what alphabet they're going to use to write in Polish, since no-one had plans to do that yet. The first written record of the Polish language comes in 1136 when the papal Bull of Gniezno (Ex commisso nobis a Deo) lists a number of names of people and places in Poland in Polish. Now, the claim that any alphabet "reads as it is written and is written the way it is heard" is false on linguistic grounds, and while it has to be said that some alphabets are probably closer to that ideal than others (e.g. the Latin alphabet tends to be far off since it has originally been designed for, well, Latin), the Cyrilic script was created in the 9th century by a Greek to reflect a Slavic dialect from the Saloniki area. Assuming it would be any accurate for, say, Polish phonology of the 12th century would be wrong.

Second: we can track the development of Polish orthography throughout the centuries with little difficulty, and we can see that many attempts have been made to integrate Polish phonology more completely into the Latin alphabet, and they devote plenty of attention to the matter of vowels as well. However, by the 16th century Polish pretty much discards the entire phenomenon of vowel length, with some former long vowels reducing to their short versions (e.g. a: -> a) and others even completely changing their pronunciation (e.g. o: -> u, although it did go through some intermediate stages), rendering most of those attempts moot. So, the reason most Polish vowels disappeared was because nobody could be arsed to bother with the "long vowel" bullshit.

Third: if we only count the vowels which appear as discrete graphic signs, Poland still has a leg up on English because of the nasalized vowels ą and ę (yes it is cheating).

Fourth: Polish appears to have very few vowels relative to consonants due to using "z" for most digraphs, but this is only a visual thing.

Fifth: it's actually źdźbło (sing.) and źdźbła (pl.).

1I shall disregard the Lechite Empire hypothesis and the "My wooden plank proves they didn't!!!" hypothesis for the purposes of this post.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Sorry about your hosed up language

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've got Bill Mauldin's 1945 book and one of the things his later cartoons complain about is how once D-Day happened everyone stopped paying attention to Italy and assumed the war was won there.

Plan was for a third amphibious landing after Salerno and Anzio to attempt to outflank the Germans, but all the available boats were commandeered for Normandy.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Yeah what a mess. I don't think that even counts as the Roman alphabet anymore...

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

MikeCrotch posted:

Plan was for a third amphibious landing after Salerno and Anzio to attempt to outflank the Germans, but all the available boats were commandeered for Normandy.

There was a consensus in the US general staff that even if they had gotten into the Po Valley quickly it would still not have resulted in any major threat to Germany because the Alps would be another natural barrier. This is why Churchill's Balkan plans were disregarded by serious military minds.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

someone still salty about poland-lithuania

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Panzeh posted:

There was a consensus in the US general staff that even if they had gotten into the Po Valley quickly it would still not have resulted in any major threat to Germany because the Alps would be another natural barrier. This is why Churchill's Balkan plans were disregarded by serious military minds.

The main reason why the Balkans were disregarded was Stalin. Other reasons tend to pale in comparison to that one. :v:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

Hang em and flog em, I would, it's the only language they understand

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

someone still salty about poland-lithuania

The HRE's greatest generals got schooled by an army of teenage conscripts who figured out how to shoot more than one gun at a time.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Trin Tragula posted:

Hang em and flog em, I would, it's the only language they understand

No, have them walk through our own angry gauntlet where we twat them with a Dictionary.

The old hardbacked ones.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GAL posted:

have you been invited for a cheeky nandos yet? wot a ledge eh

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

MikeCrotch posted:

have you been invited for a cheeky nandos yet? wot a ledge eh
i still don't know what that is

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

The HRE's greatest generals got schooled by an army of teenage conscripts who figured out how to shoot more than one gun at a time.
but not how to ride a horse

ed: unlike poland-lithuania

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

i still don't know what that is

It's a so-so spicy chicken meal.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

feedmegin posted:

It's a so-so spicy chicken meal.

I would go with decent rather then so-so for nandos.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
it's what you have instead of greggs when out on the lash, better than maccy d's except your mate Adam takes forever to order which ruins the cheekiness, so you make him order extra spicy and he can't finish it without crying, top bantz mate

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's eating roast chicken.

And feeling daring for doing so.

Also as regards languages that are sensible, German is a lot more "speak as it's written" than English is, remarkably so coming from English.

E: What do you think Bernard Montogmery would have thought about a cheeky nandos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I find Italian is almost spot on in terms of 'speak as written', the only notable exceptions being gh, ch, gn, gl and sc.

EDIT: it's always funny hearing english people butchering the pronunciation of gnocchi