Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Will we ever see its like again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Badger of Basra posted:

Will we ever see its like again?

Yeah in about 20 years.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
My girlfriend just put a giant blue "READY FOR HILLARY" bumper sticker on our car.

That's not a problem in San Antonio, but about once a week I have to drive out to the middle of bumfuck nowhere to get groceries/prescriptions/whatever for my grandparents in rural Seguin, and with all the stories about militia people planning attacks and harassment, plus Trump doing everything he can to incite a riot, I'm seriously wondering if I'm going to get murdered over this.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The Guardian had an article similar to what you're afraid of, but that was out in Oregon.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
There are bad guys out there, like the Kansas plot, but I think most of it is hot air.

I was reading an article in the NYT about the possibility of Trump thugs going out to intimidate people at the polls, but there's no evidence yet that Trump supporters are actually signing up to ... do it. They might still. But again, a lot of bluster.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Democrat Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign surprised many Monday when it announced it was planning to advertise in ruby red Texas before Election Day.

But how much is Clinton investing in Texas? Her campaign won't comment, but a small ad buy would suggest the campaign isn't expecting to move the needle in the country's largest Republican stronghold.

[...]

By mid-day Tuesday, Clinton's campaign had booked ads in Texas worth at most $100,000, according to a GOP source briefed on local television sales. That figure is small in any state, but the prohibitively expensive media markets in Texas further diminishes the campaign's bang for its buck.

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/10/18/clinton-texas-television-advertising-campaign-star/

quote:

Why in the wide world of sports would Hillary Clinton’s campaign buy television advertising time in Texas?

Break this down: Texas is a giant state. It’s an expensive place to advertise, partly because it has some of the biggest cities, partly because it has so many television markets. It’s cheaper to win a statewide election in a small state than in a big one. Texas is also red, red, red when it comes to politics.

So why is the Clinton campaign buying?

It’s a classic political prank: If you only have enough money to buy one billboard ad, spend it on the billboard that’s closest to your opponent’s home airport. It won’t move that many voters, but it will rattle the opponent, who’ll be seeing your name and face with every departure and arrival.

[...]

Put yourself in Hillary Clinton’s shoes. You want to win the blue states, and things are looking pretty good, according to most polls. There are some red states where your chances are next to zero — states that the Trump campaign regards as safe. Texas is one of those.

And then there are states in the middle. Some ordinarily Republican states and some swing states are still unstable, worthy of attention from both campaigns in these final three weeks: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio and Pennsylvania, to name a few.

So there you sit, ready to spend that campaign dough. With uncertain outcomes in one in five American states, you would have to have a particular reason to send any of that money here:

(a) The tide in Texas is really turning.

(b) You’ve done all that you can in all of the other states where you really are competitive and might as well blow a few bucks on the Texas long shot.

(c) You want to irritate your opponent or make him uncertain of his support.

(d) You want a few days of relatively favorable stories about a lead that’s grown to the point where Texas is even a subject of conversation.

(e) You have some money left over, and your cousin owns a TV station in East Texas (kidding).

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/10/19/analysis-clinton-ads-wont-turn-texas-could-turn-he/

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
There's plenty of people in Texas who will never vote for Hillary, but might be tilted enough to vote for Johnson. Enough to make Trump's showing in Texas to look really, really bad.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Ghetto Prince posted:

My girlfriend just put a giant blue "READY FOR HILLARY" bumper sticker on our car.

That's not a problem in San Antonio, but about once a week I have to drive out to the middle of bumfuck nowhere to get groceries/prescriptions/whatever for my grandparents in rural Seguin, and with all the stories about militia people planning attacks and harassment, plus Trump doing everything he can to incite a riot, I'm seriously wondering if I'm going to get murdered over this.

Most people aren't going to actually gently caress with you. What people will do is probably rip the bumper sticker off your car. I know it happened to me when I had my Obama sticker on there.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

blackguy32 posted:

Most people aren't going to actually gently caress with you. What people will do is probably rip the bumper sticker off your car. I know it happened to me when I had my Obama sticker on there.

Yeah that's how my Obama sticker met its end. Strangely they only ripped off the Obama part and left the Biden part. Hmmmmmm

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I once had an anti-Bush/anti-Iraq War sticker on my car around 2003-4. I was driving around East Texas and a car started following me for a little bit, getting right up on me, honking their horn, until eventually I switched lanes, and pulled to the side of them. Turns out they were really pumped to see the sticker in the area and wanted to know where I got it.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Speaking of Obergefell, is Ken Paxton ever going to get disbarred for straight up advising state clerks to violate gay couples' 14th Amendment rights? I heard about an investigation in February but not much else since.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
So, um, there's some ugly poo poo going down in Dallas dealing with Landlords(slumlords) and Dallas City Council/Code Compliance. I only really feel bad for the people who are being used as pawns in this entire ordeal and will eventually be pushed out of their homes into places they more than likely cant afford due to rising rents in Dallas. To start he's a recent article by Dallas Observer with one of the landlords the city is currently trying to get rid of.

quote:

Rolling Over Bodies of the Poor in a Fight for Land in West Dallas

Khraish H. Khraish, the younger of a father-son team who own and operate HMK, told me his company already is getting exploratory calls from major developers asking if they are ready to sell or develop their land, but with a hitch.

“I tell them, ‘Let’s talk about it,’” Khraish said Sunday. “But then they say, ‘You have a problem at City Hall. There is no political support for us to work with you.’”

I asked him what in the world that means. Why did they call?

He said, “It means I am an untouchable.”

Here are some of the peices done by WFAA and the Dallas Morning News about this as well.

WFAA
City's largest junk landlord escapes scrutiny
City responds after News 8 exposes largest junk landlord

Dallas Mourning News (If using Chrome use incognito to avoid paywall)
Father-son duo dispute lawsuit labeling them Dallas' ‘most prolific slumlords'
Father and son accused of being Dallas' 'most prolific slumlords' are evicting tenants from 305 houses

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Has anybody heard about the vote harvesting investigation in Tarrant County? It looks like they're investigating some voter registration efforts in the same vein and are trying to nail down anybody that witnessed more than one other non-family-member's voter registration. The timing though is very politically motivated and it looks like they're trying to prove there really is rampant voter fraud going around.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/politics-government/election/article108539187.html

Oddly enough, I found out about it first from the front page of snopes. It's just so much easier to find the crazy that way these days.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
To follow up on the stuff about Dallas and going to battle with this family that they're talking about as slumlords, we now have this story from the Dallas Observer:

In Meeting With Landlords, Mayor Talked About Selling Land, Not Conditions

In short, it appears that the Khraish family recorded a meeting they had with the mayor last year. The whole tape is online and linked in the article, the article highlights some excerpts from that tape. But the gist of the recording appears to be that Mayor Rawlings' concerns were basically:
1) How about you make those homes look nicer?, and
2) Hey, what if we helped arrange deals for you to sell these homes? You guys interested?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
The city knew what it was doing when it declared 300 homes uninhabitable and they knew hmk would respond by trying to evict these people

Hmk is a slum lord but the city of dallas didn't bother to do poo poo about it for years

Google west dallas lead smelter and west dallas concrete plant to see how the city feels about the people of west dallas

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 20, 2016

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Ghetto Prince posted:

I'm in San Marcos and I've been so thrilled with the insane number of Clinton/Kaine yard signs, sometimes two to a yard. Every time I go from my house to the gas station there's like eight of them in a half-mile stretch. There's even more Lloyd Doggett signs because everyone likes Doggett, and if I had to guess I'd say it's a dogwhistle for "I'm voting Hilldawg but I'm not willing to get my yard signs stolen, them bitches are expensive". Oddly enough I see quite a few yards with Susan Narvaiz and Doggett signs both, which is just fuckin weird. Most of the Doggett yards have a ton of other D-leaning signs so I'm thinking there's a rogue Narvaiz sign-poster trying to make themselves obvious.

On the other hand, as soon as you leave the city limits and get into Bumfuck it's redder than Hilldawg's pantsuit at the first debate, but San Marcos has at least made me happy for a minute. The Planet K and the car wash nearby should probably take down their massive Bernie banners eventually though.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Proud Christian Mom posted:

There's plenty of people in Texas who will never vote for Hillary, but might be tilted enough to vote for Johnson. Enough to make Trump's showing in Texas to look really, really bad.

My dads voted Republican in every election since 76, he ran for state rep as a republican in the 80s in Houston (and lost bigly), he went to the 92 RNC in the astrodome, hes voting for johnson.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

TheKennedys posted:

The Planet K and the car wash nearby should probably take down their massive Bernie banners eventually though.

Doubtful they will. The Planet K near me only took down their Ron Paul 2012 banner last year (when they replaced it with a Bernie banner).

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

e_angst posted:

Doubtful they will. The Planet K near me only took down their Ron Paul 2012 banner last year (when they replaced it with a Bernie banner).

:ughh:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TheKennedys posted:

On the other hand, as soon as you leave the city limits and get into Bumfuck it's redder than Hilldawg's pantsuit at the first debate, but San Marcos has at least made me happy for a minute. The Planet K and the car wash nearby should probably take down their massive Bernie banners eventually though.
Hah. That Planet K used to have a Ron Paul sign, too.

Well, I still expect Trump to win Texas. But my parents and brother never vote and this year they're all going to the polls for Hillary. There's a chance...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

My Planet K at 183 and Duval (or thereabouts) had a giant Ron Paul sign too. I went maybe eight months ago and didn't see a Bernie sign.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Aliquid posted:

My Planet K at 183 and Duval (or thereabouts) had a giant Ron Paul sign too. I went maybe eight months ago and didn't see a Bernie sign.

If we ever have weed legalized on a national level, these guys are gonna go so Republican so fast it'll make your head spin.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

This is totally anecdotal but most chicks I know at UT are voting for Mother and most dudes are voting for Johnson as a protest of some sort.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

e_angst posted:

If we ever have weed legalized on a national level, these guys are gonna go so Republican so fast it'll make your head spin.

Don't they usually support a lot of different candidates in the Travis County Dem primaries?

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

thefncrow posted:

To follow up on the stuff about Dallas and going to battle with this family that they're talking about as slumlords, we now have this story from the Dallas Observer:

In Meeting With Landlords, Mayor Talked About Selling Land, Not Conditions

In short, it appears that the Khraish family recorded a meeting they had with the mayor last year. The whole tape is online and linked in the article, the article highlights some excerpts from that tape. But the gist of the recording appears to be that Mayor Rawlings' concerns were basically:
1) How about you make those homes look nicer?, and
2) Hey, what if we helped arrange deals for you to sell these homes? You guys interested?

Seems like something is coming out every day and The Mayor looks like a giant POS now.

West Dallas Landlord Offers Mayor Deal That Could Sell Disputed Houses to Habitat for Humanity

quote:

As part of his offer to the mayor yesterday, Khraish says he promised to allow the 300 families in his West Dallas properties to remain in their homes until the end of the school year but only if the city will grant him a moratorium on fines and criminal penalties during that time.

Khraish says he wants to sell all of his West Dallas properties to Habitat for Humanity “in order to keep the community together” and protect the area from rampant gentrification and large expensive condo developments. Habitat CEO Hall accompanied Khraish to yesterday’s meeting with the mayor, but Rawlings would not allow Hall to attend.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Wheres a good spot to start learning DFW politics?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Is Ken Mercer of the SBOE related to Robert Mercer?

Loel posted:

Wheres a good spot to start learning DFW politics?

Dealey Plaza.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Aliquid posted:

Dealey Plaza.

:vince:

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Is there a good source for polls on races for state offices? Either my Google skills are weak, or they don't exist, and I would put money on my Google skills being weak. Right now I'm specifically looking for one for Railroad Commission.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Type in "my ballot" to google. Then input your address and click on the tab that says "State"

It's Wayne Christian (R), Mark Miller (L), Martina Salinas (G), and Grady Yarbrough (D).

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

mastajake posted:

Type in "my ballot" to google. Then input your address and click on the tab that says "State"

It's Wayne Christian (R), Mark Miller (L), Martina Salinas (G), and Grady Yarbrough (D).

Sorry, I meant opinion polls. I know who is on the ballot.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Spaz Medicine posted:

Is there a good source for polls on races for state offices? Either my Google skills are weak, or they don't exist, and I would put money on my Google skills being weak. Right now I'm specifically looking for one for Railroad Commission.

Sadly, since pretty much every statewide race is considered a lock for the Republicans, you don't end up with any polling companies willing to spend money to show just how much or a lock it is. I looked at UT's Texas Politics Project and their last poll of the state (from June) didn't get anywhere near it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

x-posting from USPOL:

https://twitter.com/LukeBrinker/status/790216973057654784

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

e_angst posted:

Sadly, since pretty much every statewide race is considered a lock for the Republicans, you don't end up with any polling companies willing to spend money to show just how much or a lock it is. I looked at UT's Texas Politics Project and their last poll of the state (from June) didn't get anywhere near it.

Thanks, that makes sense. Kind of a bummer, but oh well. At least I know to stop looking for them.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

How are y'all feeling about Austin prop 1? I'm leaning against because I think the mayor is a moron and also I don't want to spend anymore money on roads.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

For, because Lamar (North and South), Burnet, and Guad are all turbofucked at the moment and need massive improvements which can't be done in a piecemeal manner.

I'd rather the state fund the improvements so that we didn't have to bond it out but that's just not going to ever happen.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.
I don't live in Austin, but the Statesman had an article about it today that seemed to do a pretty good job of covering it. Main complaint I've heard about it otherwise (aside from the bike lane/bus lane/expanded sidewalk issues that always come up with Austin traffic proposals) is the elimination of left-turn lanes at certain intersections.

They also had an article about the factors depressing the Hispanic vote and/or keeping Hispanics underrepresented in local governments, which is worth checking out. It covers a whole gambit of stuff, from relatively mundane factors like the dearth of Spanish-speaking county election officials to stuff like this:

quote:

But once elected, Morales recalled that the cotton processors who he did business with said his political ambitions were threatening to cost them customers in the conservative county. “I had hauled cotton for the gins for years, but one day they said, ‘We don’t need you anymore. We’ll lose our customers, our growers. You’re the problem, trying to stir poo poo up around here,’” he said. “They told me, ‘We need to get rid of this guy. We need to cut this twig right out. Because if it grows it’s gonna be a trunk and we won’t be able to deal with it. We have to make him suffer. Squeeze him out of Floyd County.’”

After five years as a council member, Morales moved to the school board, and then ultimately to the commissioners court, where he won election after three tries, including a disputed count that he sued over.

“They don’t want to share power,” Morales said. “It’s their way of life.”

Juan Chavez, 67, the sole Latino county commissioner in nearby Bailey County, said he has encountered similar pushback as he has tried to recruit local Hispanics to run for office. “I know people who were told by their boss: ‘You won’t have a job if you run,’” he said. “So you need independent people or people with an understanding boss.”

In Odessa, Army veteran and community organizer Art Leal said that when he ran for mayor in 2008, his political opponents nearly succeeded in getting him fired from his job at a bank. He said anonymous callers accused him of misusing bank resources and violating internal rules and sent him intimidating messages warning him to “watch out.” Ultimately, Leal said his employer informed him he hadn’t received proper permission to run, and on the last week of the campaign he was told to drop out or lose his job.

(Incidentally, I'm curious: is pretty much everyone in this thread a city-dweller or is anyone else stuck out in a rural shithole like me?)

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Atahualpa posted:

(Incidentally, I'm curious: is pretty much everyone in this thread a city-dweller or is anyone else stuck out in a rural shithole like me?)

I'm in Austin, but I spent most of grade school and a few years after in the hill country.

Definitely seconding that Lamar/Burnet/Guadalupe need work. It'd take some of the heat off 35 and MoPac (not a ton), and really I shouldn't feel the need to check my tires after driving thru a major artery.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Atahualpa posted:

That depends. Do you consider Bryan/College Station to be a city?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Without a left turn lane on south Lamar you would never be able to turn left.