Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Digital Foundry's initial vid about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gocSncf06I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

ALFbrot posted:

So is it a fuckoff huge tablet, or is it a tiny ipad?

Because I have news for you regarding how many people actually do bring ipads and larger tablets to places

No need to get defensive. You can still buy it despite my opinion and be that person who has to bring their video game device to every single social outing.

I'm waiting for better portable vr so I don't have to deal with the world at all. We all have our quirks.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Realistically it would go more like 1. Friend brings Nintendo system to the party 2. Everyone likes it, we're all having fun playing Nintendo 3. Some insecure loser would pipe up about how video games are immature, and even if they did play them they'd be mature games meant for adults like Gone Home and Last Of Us 4. My friends and I give them the usual Nintendo hater treatment: chaining their hands and feet and dragging them behind a pickup truck

Boy this party sure sucks, I sure wish someone had brought the nintendoes.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

El Burbo posted:

Reminder: That thing the actors in the video are holding are not literally playing the games, it's just video edited in onto props and not representative of how the actual hardware will run

Honestly that bugs me more than the nonexistent possibility that Nintendo's single unified system for this generation won't be able to properly execute its single defining feature. They're obviously using pre-edited footage, so why not make it look as good as possible?

I doubt it's an error that slipped by the hundreds of people who probably had to sign off on that trailer, which makes it even more :psyduck: that not a single person stopped and went "hey the footage in that one part looks like poo poo, use better footage in there"

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm hoping it's not like the Wii U sizzle reel where they just used footage of a game they might possibly like to theoretically have on the system.

That's probably exactly what it is.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

RatHat posted:

If this works as well as it looks then it's going to be really cool. But I'm worried about the battery life.

I'd expect around 6-8 hours while gaming. IIRC Shield's Battery life was 8hr.

I'd be more worried about just how loving hot it could get. Though I guess having separate further out controllers from the CPU/GPU fix that.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Boten Anna posted:

The switch looks like a cool and fun system and I will probably buy one on launch day, as I tend to do for new Nintendo systems, because launch events are fun and I enjoy Nintendo systems

mods?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Knifegrab posted:

No need to get defensive. You can still buy it despite my opinion and be that person who has to bring their video game device to every single social outing.

I'm waiting for better portable vr so I don't have to deal with the world at all. We all have our quirks.

You sound like a delight.

Your response to a social gaming thing is "I can't wait for portable VR so I don't have to deal with the world"? Why does it have to be portable? You pulled this one out of the oven a bit too early there, chief.

Phone fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 20, 2016

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I can't speculate as to whether or not any AAA games will or won't run at 15 FPS on this system but if you really, seriously think the reveal commercial showed an actual console actually rendering games in real time live as the commercial was being filmed, you're a gullible child.

New console looks pretty cool to me though, at least as far as how many different ways there are to play games on it.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

El Burbo posted:

Reminder: That thing the actors in the video are holding are not literally playing the games, it's just video edited in onto props and not representative of how the actual hardware will run

Next you will tell me that the food in commercials isn't real and is cosmetically enhanced for photos.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

Honestly that bugs me more than the nonexistent possibility that Nintendo's single unified system for this generation won't be able to properly execute its single defining feature. They're obviously using pre-edited footage, so why not make it look as good as possible?

I doubt it's an error that slipped by the hundreds of people who probably had to sign off on that trailer, which makes it even more :psyduck: that not a single person stopped and went "hey the footage in that one part looks like poo poo, use better footage in there"

look at the bright, cheerful, sunny games nintendo creates. they are an inherently fun and optimistic organization. they are not capable of envisioning a person so negative and so dumb that they would judge video game framerates based on glimpses of clearly-added-in-post footage found in a teaser trailer

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The screen-cover on the dock actually bothers me. It'd be so rad to be able to carry the ENTIRE system, complete with USB ports (for GC adapter) and full under-the-hood power, and plug it into a a wall somewhere and play on the portable screen without needing a monitor. Like the Wii U but with, like, a nicer-sized screen and poo poo.

It'd make Smash tournaments/meetups way more manageable than they are right now.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

They should've named it Nintendo's Witch

as in witch games am i gonna play on this crappy thing

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I've got the 2013 Nexus 7 tablet which is bigger and thinner than the Switch and I've gotten 5-6 hours of straight HD video streaming (on a flight) before, so I guess as long as the Tegra in there isn't a gigantic power and heat sink, I'm not super worried about the battery life on the Switch.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Maybe tumblr can publish a 40000 pixel long info graphic about how the switch is the perfect introvert console for them to take to parties.

Actually I'm saying it here first, the Switch is the official extrovert console

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

New thread title:

Nintendo Switch: will ruin your rooftop party

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Phone posted:

Your response to a social gaming thing is "I can't wait for portable VR so I don't have to deal with the world"? Why does it have to be portable? You pulled this one out of the oven a bit too early there, chief.

... he was being facetious. Relax dude.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

The screen-cover on the dock actually bothers me. It'd be so rad to be able to carry the ENTIRE system, complete with USB ports (for GC adapter) and full under-the-hood power, and plug it into a a wall somewhere and play on the portable screen without needing a monitor. Like the Wii U but with, like, a nicer-sized screen and poo poo.

It'd make Smash tournaments/meetups way more manageable than they are right now.

The game goes in the portable part, right? I don't think the base has anything much more than an upscaler of some sort.

Is it even possible to tell the difference between 720 and 1080 on a 6" screen if you're not pressing your nose up against the glass?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Snooze Cruise posted:

Gamers whining about going outside, socializing with other people. News at 11.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Phone posted:

Gamers whining about going outside, socializing with other people. News at 11.

Phone posted:

:ironicat:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Alright real talk, I'm not seeing it. The zelda game looked like it was 15 fps. Its so much huger than a 3ds xl, an already huge portable. They're showing off a five year old rpg as new and exciting? And the tiny detachable controllers look teeny and uncomfortable.

I'm not sure what market its going for... I guess maybe just people who bought the 3ds? Otherwise everyone else will stick to their phone or tablet for the occasional game to play on transit etc. And anyone who wants to play normal console on a tv is going to stick to something that actually has hardware power.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

I'm not sure what market its going for...

How many times do I have to say this?

The market is Japan. Nintendo is Japanese.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
The social poo poo is just to build on some of the wii style hype with casual/social gamers. Don't worry most of the goons in this thread don't have any real life friends and will be playing comfortably from whatever dark anime filled hole they currently are residing in.

Serisouly though, I see this selling extremely well initially, but its not just specs (mobile is going to suck more than regular consoles, hth) it is going to be whether 3rd parties actually continue to support it outside of launch. I have a vita, so I filled my generations quota of neat systems no one outside of Japan support.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
God drat it, we were loving suppose to play rooftop horseshoes but Amanda brought her Nintendo Switch again.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

The zelda game looked like it was 15 fps.

it

is

an

ad

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Kelp Me! posted:

I've got the 2013 Nexus 7 tablet which is bigger and thinner than the Switch and I've gotten 5-6 hours of straight HD video streaming (on a flight) before, so I guess as long as the Tegra in there isn't a gigantic power and heat sink, I'm not super worried about the battery life on the Switch.

Video playback is not 3D gaming.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Knifegrab posted:

Alright real talk, I'm not seeing it. The zelda game looked like it was 15 fps. Its so much huger than a 3ds xl, an already huge portable. They're showing off a five year old rpg as new and exciting? And the tiny detachable controllers look teeny and uncomfortable.

I'm not sure what market its going for... I guess maybe just people who bought the 3ds? Otherwise everyone else will stick to their phone or tablet for the occasional game to play on transit etc. And anyone who wants to play normal console on a tv is going to stick to something that actually has hardware power.

Literally everyone who bought the 3ds is their market as is anyone who bought the Wii U. The 3DS lot will pay more money than they did in the past and Nintendo can unify their developing houses so that their first party output is significantly higher for both home console and portable console consumers.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

Just because the ad made it look like its an "extrovert console" doesn't mean it will literally ever be used that way. (hint it won't).

wicka posted:

it

is

an

ad

So why wouldn't they make it look good? :iiam:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the amount of people complaining about framerates of fake game footage in a teaser trailer makes me weep for humanity

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Some of my friends like video games and some of them don't, and despite being a goon with below-average social skills, I do not find it particularly difficult to suss out when it's appropriate to pull out a video game system and suggest we play together, and when to just not do that.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I will be buying the NINTENDO SWITCH in future, how about you?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Snooze Cruise posted:

:agreed: Was it the DS that first had the "2 people can play but only 1 person needs the actual game card?" IIRC they pushed that pretty hard as a great social aspect of the system. This is taking it to the next level - "hey that game looks cool" "want to play? *unhooks half of controller* here you go"

I've been in enough waiting areas before flights/buses and similar situations to know that I will absolutely end up playing Mario Kart or something with a stranger at a bar or whatnot. I think it's a really cool idea!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Kelp Me! posted:

:agreed: Was it the DS that first had the "2 people can play but only 1 person needs the actual game card?" IIRC they pushed that pretty hard as a great social aspect of the system. This is taking it to the next level - "hey that game looks cool" "want to play? *unhooks half of controller* here you go"

I've been in enough waiting areas before flights/buses and similar situations to know that I will absolutely end up playing Mario Kart or something with a stranger at a bar or whatnot. I think it's a really cool idea!

It is really heartwarming when I see the huge circles of people all gathered around playing their 3ds's together

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Knifegrab posted:

Just because the ad made it look like its an "extrovert console" doesn't mean it will literally ever be used that way. (hint it won't).

Hint it will

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

So why wouldn't they make it look good? :iiam:

why would it ever cross nintendo's mind that someone would be so stupid as to think they were watching real, live gameplay footage in a three minute launch trailer

you know how when you watch a car commercial and a man ramps his corolla 300 feet through a ring of fire and the bottom of the screen says "stunt performed on closed circuit by professional driver, do not attempt" and you think "wow it's amazing that they'd ever need that disclaimer"? that's the answer to your question

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kelp Me! posted:

Then the stranger beats you up and steals it.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Snooze Cruise posted:

Hint it will

By kids mostly. Adults play games, but my experience is that most people don't really congregate to play them outside of GAMERZ.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Codependent Poster posted:

Then the stranger beats you up and steals it.

Would anyone who enjoys Nintendo games be such a bad person?

Besides competitive Smash players, I mean.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

Hint it will

Can't wait for all the b-ball courts to be full of people gathered around their switches. That was a realistic scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Boten Anna posted:

Some of my friends like video games and some of them don't, and despite being a goon with below-average social skills, I do not find it particularly difficult to suss out when it's appropriate to pull out a video game system and suggest we play together, and when to just not do that.

I have yet to meet anyone who has ever said "NBA Jam TE is bad and I'm no good at it please put this away."

• Locked thread