Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
It's a silly argument to say the least. I raced both for awhile, though I ended up preferring Road racing. But I found in Ovals I learned steering precision, how to listen and feel for lateral grip, and fine body control much moreso than in Road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

All racing is good.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Eyud posted:

All racing is good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Eyud posted:

All racing is good.

I will not stand for this lie about GT3 being good.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

njsykora posted:

I will not stand for this lie about GT3 being good.

I actually had a good GT3 race at Le Mans this week. Lower split, no less. Seems like people understand there's no way you're stopping a draft-assisted pass and they're better off just trying to set you up for the next one.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

GT3 racing is fun too. I like it equally as much as skip racing. It's nice driving something that can actually accelerate.

There's bad drivers in all series though that can make them lovely.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
#notallroadracers

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Eyud posted:

All racing is good.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Counterpoint: lo206 dirt ovals.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
On the subject of ovals:

I've been crap at making this happen for a few weeks BUT

:siren: FRIDAY NIGHT GOONCAR RETURNS :siren:

FRenault + Cadillac at Iowa, or free truck at Iowa, OR BOTH. From 7pm Eastern.

Possibly also FRenault + Cadillac at Summit Point. If the oval whining stops :colbert:

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

I never said literally every oval was in my blood. The gently caress is the point of dirt oval with an engine you wont even get sideways with?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is there anyone who doesn't own the Renault? The cadillac is terrifying on that track when you're in a single seater.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
So LO206 ice ovals then? Everything's more fun on ice.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Prob more fun than dirt

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Lord Crapulus posted:

So LO206 ice ovals then? Everything's more fun on ice.

god I hope ice is next up after dirt

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Attention Former iRacing Members:

Come back to iRacing today and save 40%! Re-activate your membership and get 3-Months of iRacing for just $19.

Use promo code: PR3MONTHSFOR19LAPSED when you renew your subscription to take advantage of this offer.

Valid on existing, inactive accounts only. This offer expires November 18, 2016.

Oh hey im resubbing tonight.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

OhsH posted:

Use promo code: PR...O...LAPSED

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I'm just going back to the dumb oval/road debate for a few minutes just to say that running both has helped me on both: ovals help in making you more confident in traffic and around other cars, while road stuff helps all round to make you a better driver - I've found that it helps with learning how to drive cars that aren't perfect and have different foibles in different parts of the track.

Although I've not raced for a wee bit so I could be wrong. Might get out the trusty controller and try some awful oval racing tonight though...

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Ovals are good for easy participation credits.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Vando posted:

On the subject of ovals:

I've been crap at making this happen for a few weeks BUT

:siren: FRIDAY NIGHT GOONCAR RETURNS :siren:

FRenault + Cadillac at Iowa, or free truck at Iowa, OR BOTH. From 7pm Eastern.

Possibly also FRenault + Cadillac at Summit Point. If the oval whining stops :colbert:

Woo hoo. Cadillac is terrifying since you can't see poo poo out of in in any direction, even with 3 screens and 120 FOV.

DTF

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Cadillac oval setup baseline: http://iracingsetupsync.nickthissen.nl/Setups/Details/18597

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Woo hoo. Cadillac is terrifying since you can't see poo poo out of in in any direction, even with 3 screens and 120 FOV.

DTF

Sadly I think I'm going out drinking, cts and fr are hilarious together, godzilla and housecat

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Looks like I'll be a road racer again soon, since I've dumped my oval license in a big, big way. See you later, driving in circles. See you soon, driving in polygons.

e: Can anyone advise me on the virtue of turning right vis-a-vis the merits of turning left?
e2: On a related topic, what are brakes?
e3: Shifting???

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 22, 2016

The General
Mar 4, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

e2: On a related topic, what are brakes?

Not to be confused with the clutch.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Drive the FR, it's rad. It's very forgiving for a newbie.

I've been learning COTA West for days. Was it on purpose that it coincides with the actual GP? Good Work iRacing

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
:siren: Gooncar in 1.5 hours time! USA Speedway GET IN :siren:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I added an extra 30 mins of practice to the start of the session as it's a free track so probably will have a few rookies showing up, go nuts.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
Ill be there! Only had the skip for a week, no idea how to make it go around an oval. Looking forward to spinning half a lap behind you all!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
IMPORTANT TIP always trail some throttle to avoid murder by oversteer.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Finally got a sunday free for goon racing! See y'all in a bit!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Vando posted:

IMPORTANT TIP always trail some throttle to avoid murder by oversteer.

Sorry for murdering you I watched the replay and it was all me. I assumed you were going to keep pushing towards the wall so I dove left.. poor choice.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I missed Gooncar again but at least I had a decent excuse this time as I was at the emergency vets for one of my cattes (he seems OK now).

In "How the gently caress did that happen?" news, I managed to get my A-Class Oval licence over the weekend :getin: so I'm goin to be switching over to mostly Road racing soon. I've only run 8 Road Races so far (enough to get me out of the Rookie series) so it's time for another voyage of discovery & anger. If any of you run bottom split Skips, I'll be seeing you soon.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Any more takers for the Le Mans 24 this weekend?

There's 3, maybe 4 of us if Crapulus switches, signed up for the HPD which is doable if we're all in hardcore poopsock mode but I don't know if the others are.

e: signup spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a1nYY9l0O10izzEWBQWvEpkN2tEGS0faycxaQFfp-QE/edit#gid=523600649

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 24, 2016

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Oh, I could do any of the cars. Not really up for 6 hours worth though. Did any of you do any running yet and have a setup that I should be trying?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Any more takers for the Le Mans 24 this weekend?

There's 3, maybe 4 of us if Crapulus switches, signed up for the HPD which is doable if we're all in hardcore poopsock mode but I don't know if the others are.

e: signup spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a1nYY9l0O10izzEWBQWvEpkN2tEGS0faycxaQFfp-QE/edit#gid=523600649

I thought it was last weekend for some reason. I can probably do this weekend since I recently bought the old HPD and have never driven it. :v:

Gotta get some time in it before it's retired.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I'm interested. I'll try to actually do some practice this week.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Lord Crapulus posted:

Oh, I could do any of the cars. Not really up for 6 hours worth though. Did any of you do any running yet and have a setup that I should be trying?

Proto GT (the same car line up as for the 24h) is running 90 minutes of Le Mans currently but it switches tonight, there are still a couple of races left on the timetable over the next few hours though.

I have a 'capable of driving a lap without smashing into a wall' setup but the best I can run with it is a mid 3:37, people better than me can probably improve on this:

http://www.filedropper.com/24hlemansbaseline001

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Thanks, I'll check that out tonight. I've only run enough to learn that the corners aren't configured the same way as when I last ran Le Mans in Gran Turismo.

Also, there is a non-zero chance that I'll be busy with Cubs stuff this weekend, so I'm just a maybe at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
So is there not going to be a membership sale or something? My membership ends at the end of the week.