Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Geokinesis posted:

I will be buying the NINTENDO SWITCH in future, how about you?

probably not. I have a mobile phone for mobile games and a ps4 for console gaming. but I suppose having a controller that looks like a dog is a cool innovation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

wicka posted:

why would it ever cross nintendo's mind that someone would be so stupid as to think they were watching real, live gameplay footage in a three minute launch trailer

you know how when you watch a car commercial and a man ramps his corolla 300 feet through a ring of fire and the bottom of the screen says "stunt performed on closed circuit by professional driver, do not attempt" and you think "wow it's amazing that they'd ever need that disclaimer"? that's the answer to your question

Its almost like in the scenario you described they're making the car look better but in this ad their making their gameplay look worse. Crazy!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Looks like a prototype.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Bubba Smith posted:

probably not. I have a mobile phone for mobile games and a ps4 for console gaming. but I suppose having a controller that looks like a dog is a cool innovation.

Same but I have a 3ds also so I know what its like to waste money on bad nintendo stuff.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The Switch will be used the same way people on my campus use the Wii U and Gamecube right now aka carrying it around with small televisions to play smash bros

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Sorry i can't hear you guys over the sounds of joyful laughter at my Nintendo Switch rooftop party.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

Same but I have a 3ds also so I know what its like to waste money on bad nintendo stuff.

A 3ds, as in singular?

You

loving

Scrub

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

This is like one of those things someone creates a render for and puts up on kickstarter promising the future of portable gaming and usability. But it never gets funded or really gets off the ground because its a really silly and kinda useless gimmick that won't see use after the first hour of "oh this is neat".

But then nintendo was like "stop, we'll fund this". And here we are.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

Sorry i can't hear you guys over the sounds of joyful laughter at my Nintendo Switch rooftop party.

I'm the woman staring out the window hoping you notice me and invite me over.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

Its almost like in the scenario you described they're making the car look better but in this ad their making their gameplay look worse. Crazy!

i would guess that maybe autism is uncommon in japan and they simply can't fathom a person like yourself checking for framerates in a dang ad

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Snooze Cruise posted:

Some day, when I am as rich as every person in this commercial, I will also invite all my friends to play Monster Hunter in my glamorous rooftop biergarten.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

I hope suichu-senpai notices me

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
it looks cool but if the only reason to buy it is BotW then I'll just stick with my WiiU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Knifegrab posted:

Sorry i can't hear you over the sounds of orgasms at my Eyes Wide Shut style orgy and Nintendo Switch party

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Knifegrab posted:

This is like one of those things someone creates a render for and puts up on kickstarter promising the future of portable gaming and usability. But it never gets funded or really gets off the ground because its a really silly and kinda useless gimmick that won't see use after the first hour of "oh this is neat".

But then nintendo was like "stop, we'll fund this". And here we are.

it's almost as bad as VR

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

Alright real talk, I'm not seeing it. The zelda game looked like it was 15 fps. Its so much huger than a 3ds xl, an already huge portable. They're showing off a five year old rpg as new and exciting? And the tiny detachable controllers look teeny and uncomfortable.

I'm not sure what market its going for... I guess maybe just people who bought the 3ds? Otherwise everyone else will stick to their phone or tablet for the occasional game to play on transit etc. And anyone who wants to play normal console on a tv is going to stick to something that actually has hardware power.

The 3ds has sold 60 million units so yeah, that's probably a good target market.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

unlawfulsoup posted:

By kids mostly. Adults play games, but my experience is that most people don't really congregate to play them outside of GAMERZ.

On the other hand, there's a lot of adults who travel a lot (like for work) and being able to bring their console along in a relatively small package could be a good selling point for them, "social gaming" aside. That thing looks great for being stuck in a lovely hotel room.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

Sorry i can't hear you over the sounds of orgasms at my Eyes Wide Shut style orgy and Nintendo Switch party

Lets rewind, we've been through a lot together, it doesn't have to end like this.

Tender Bender posted:

The 3ds has sold 60 million units so yeah, that's probably a good target market.

Its pretty crazy they sold that well. I'd assume it was mostly in japan is or that US figures? Cause I never ever see them where I live in Cali.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Some of you guys are right, it WOULD make you look silly bringing your game console tablet hybrid to a social event with your friends. And we all know that modern gaming is not at all trying to push people into looking silly.

This is where you pretend I posted a bunch of pics of people using the PSVR, Oculus Rift or Vive.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

wicka posted:

the amount of people complaining about framerates of fake game footage in a teaser trailer makes me weep for humanity

The people defending an advertisement with "it's a misleading advertisement, you gullible child" are more disconcerting.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
The one thing that would make me wary if I was a Nintendo stockholder is that this is converging the portable and console elements of the company. While the WiiU was a dud, this is really putting all of the eggs in one basket. Not that I don't think it can work, but in the past Nintendo had two main pillars which often softened the blow if one was performing poorly.

Ometeotl posted:

Some of you guys are right, it WOULD make you look silly bringing your game console tablet hybrid to a social event with your friends. And we all know that modern gaming is not at all trying to push people into looking silly.

This is where you pretend I posted a bunch of pics of people using the PSVR, Oculus Rift or Vive.

This is a million times less awkward than VR, and all of the social pics of VR are hysterical. Nothing more sociable than having a loving helmet strapped to your face.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Why are all these whippersnappers bringing their got dang electronic computers to a party!! Reagan is rolling over in his grave

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

They should have just shown like a group of dudes chilling at someones apartment playing table tops games and vidyas and then someone brings a nintendonx and they are all stoked. That's fairly reasonable unlike the b-ball crew or hip rooftop party.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

unlawfulsoup posted:

The one thing that would make me wary if I was a Nintendo stockholder is that this is converging the portable and console elements of the company. While the WiiU was a dud, this is really putting all of the eggs in one basket. Not that I don't think it can work, but in the past Nintendo had two main pillars which often softened the blow if one was performing poorly.

This is a million times less awkward than VR, and all of the social pics of VR are hysterical. Nothing more sociable than having a loving helmet strapped to your face.

They re-incorporated with a bigger focus on being a software company and licensing their IP just a few months ago.

http://www.cgmagonline.com/2016/05/18/nintendo-announces-new-articles-incorporation/

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

wicka posted:

i would guess that maybe autism is uncommon in japan and they simply can't fathom a person like yourself checking for framerates in a dang ad
maybe get your eyes checked bc noticing the choppy-rear end zeldy footage did not require a fuckin jeweller's loupe

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Knifegrab posted:

They should have just shown like a group of dudes chilling at someones apartment playing table tops games and vidyas and then someone brings a nintendonx and they are all stoked. That's fairly reasonable unlike the b-ball crew or hip rooftop party.

A bunch of awkward white dudes with anime posters in their moms basement meeting to play 4 player senran kagura port.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

unlawfulsoup posted:

A bunch of awkward white dudes with anime posters in their moms basement meeting to play 4 player senran kagura port.

Sign me up, I am onboard with the swiitch xl now.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Grumpy gamers itt. I am so out and about I never get to use my consoles anymore, so I have a vested interest in portable gaming, except phone games really suck really badly.

But that's not the reason I'm excited.

My kid will go NUTS for this. The little guy consumes all electronics in my house. Long trips will now be really awesome for him. His little friends can play with him too. We got a Wii U early on and the kid just took that over, ended up being a really good investment of cost:use ratio overall though. Its also nice we can use the Tv while he plays a game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

wow i was wondering who bought up all that excess stock of nvidia shield tablets. nintendo!!!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

Lets rewind, we've been through a lot together, it doesn't have to end like this.

Its pretty crazy they sold that well. I'd assume it was mostly in japan is or that US figures? Cause I never ever see them where I live in Cali.

It's actually about even. But factor in that the US is way bigger than Japan so they're more spread out.

Also Japan is more into actually moving around and using the portable part of handheld gaming, from anecdotal chat most US players seem to spend most of the time on their 3ds at home. Which is why the Switch looks cool, it's a real console for 90% of the time, but when you're away from the TV or on a train or plane or traveling for work you can just take it and keep playing. I travel a lot and over the last year or so I've really wished I could play Xenoblade or Hyrule Warriors or one of the Zeldas on the go, or that when I was home I could play Monster Hunter or any of the 3ds rpg's on my TV with a real controller. I carry a laptop bag so I don't have to worry about fitting anything in my pockets. Basically I'm the target audience.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Hmmm... looks interesting but since I don't play basketball, own a dog, fly on planes, or go to rooftop parties I don't think I'll be getting this. RIP Nintendo

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I like how all the millennials in that promotional video live in impossibly good homes and apartments and not in rat and mould infested hovels as normal millennials do.

Like that lady in the rooftop scene probably has an amazing job to be able to afford that good of an apartment in the city.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Knifegrab posted:

*stares at you in creep mask, Switch in hand*

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

El Burbo posted:

The Switch will be used the same way people on my campus use the Wii U and Gamecube right now aka carrying it around with small televisions to play smash bros

Imagine this, except without having to carry around a tv everywhere.
God Smash is cool or whatever but I'm imagining eight player local multiplayer Splatoon. That would be heaven for me.

Also quick reminder for people in this thread: we've still barely heard anything about it. Please wait a little longer before crying about how there won't be games or the controller will be uncomfortable

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Al-Saqr posted:

I like how all the millennials in that promotional video live in impossibly good homes and apartments and not in rat and mould infested hovels as normal millennials do.

Like that lady in the rooftop scene probably has an amazing job to be able to afford that good of an apartment in the city.

They are in their parents home.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Toady posted:

The people defending an advertisement with "it's a misleading advertisement, you gullible child" are more disconcerting.

it's not even a misleading advertisement. it's a teaser trailer. it's not meant to display final game performance. you should never judge something as detailed as video game framerates from an ad, much less a pre-release ad for hardware and software that doesn't even exist. this is the single most insane thing i've ever had to explain to adults.

please stop whinging about this. it is an ad. the framerates of the footage they cut into the ad is completely and utterly irrelevant. i'm sorry if this is news to you, please deal with it privately.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

unlawfulsoup posted:

They are in their parents home.

*basements

wicka posted:

it's not even a misleading advertisement. it's a teaser trailer. it's not meant to display final game performance. you should never judge something as detailed as video game framerates from an ad, much less a pre-release ad for hardware and software that doesn't even exist. this is the single most insane thing i've ever had to explain to adults.

I'm glad nintendo decided to make their ad make their console look worse.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

wicka posted:

This is like people saying an iPhone commercial is misleading because they don't take pictures in the Amazon or while climbing the Himalayas or whatever.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Can there please be one thread on this site where we don't complain about millennials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

Living well isn't hard if you're not dumb

• Locked thread