Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog

victrix posted:

Out of curiosity, are those 5 dooms bosses ever coming back? Snowspell/whatever the Samurai one is are the only two I unlocked.
Not as of current JP.

There's some dungeons in JP that give up (some of? not sure all of them are present yet) the same motes, but they're brutal 250 difficulty gauntlet fights, I gather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm a bit behind on Jp news, did anything happen when people got all 12 nightmare skills like people were thinking?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Wow, it really cannot be overstated how helpful doing the nightmare bosses is for getting 5* hones. If you can finish an Ultimate fight in a current event (not to mention a U+) then you can do the majority of the introductory nightmare bosses, and those are the ones with the major orbs rather than crystals, so you can use those to get hones to work on the tougher ones.

At this point pretty much the only ones I haven't done are the ones that sound like a pain ("kill these at the same time" type fights, or things full of status effects)'

e: is there much point to making/honing a 5* summon? I've got a lot of MSOs burning a hole in my pocket that could be honing up 4* summons

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 20, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Finally

(Technically Chain Firaga was my first 5-star, but that was anticlimactic so I'm not counting it. )

Now my question is, which 5-star ability do I focus on now? Do I keep saving orbs to hone this first? I'm mainly running a physical team with a mage team on the backburner until I get more relics / level people up. I hear about Thief's Revenge and Saint's Cross a lot, but I don't really have a good thief and my only knight doing holy damage right now is Beatrix. For magic, I have no idea. Chain spells? Dark Zone?

Also, what summon should I shoot for first? I'm getting reasonably close to being able to craft one. I see Alexander a lot on people's screenshots, is that a good place to start?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Summons only get 1 use per hone, so don't make them until you're ready to significantly hone them. r3/r4 Shiva/Ifrit/Ramuh is a good starting point, and then pick your poison of Maduin or Valefor for a non-elemental option. Diversify from there.

e: Is an attacking WHM team at all viable? I have Selphie's BSB, and since I'm pulling on Guy 2 for earth stuff there's a chance I'll get Minwu's, too. I have a lot of weirdly offensive stuff for white mages.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 20, 2016

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Finally

(Technically Chain Firaga was my first 5-star, but that was anticlimactic so I'm not counting it. )

Now my question is, which 5-star ability do I focus on now? Do I keep saving orbs to hone this first? I'm mainly running a physical team with a mage team on the backburner until I get more relics / level people up. I hear about Thief's Revenge and Saint's Cross a lot, but I don't really have a good thief and my only knight doing holy damage right now is Beatrix. For magic, I have no idea. Chain spells? Dark Zone?

Also, what summon should I shoot for first? I'm getting reasonably close to being able to craft one. I see Alexander a lot on people's screenshots, is that a good place to start?

Concentrate on honing Full Break to R2.

Honestly, a lot of the 5* abilities are most useful for when you want to start doing Cid Missions, and need to keep up good damage output without access to Soul Breaks. If you're still just concentrating on an "A" team, you really only want to look at abilities that would be useful for your best characters.

That said, Saint Cross is great because it's high damage, Holy is *relatively* easy to boost, and there are a LOT of knights in the game, making them easy to fit into CM teams. They also tend to be great characters both defensively and offensively.

Thief's Revenge is also great, but there are less good thieves to get full use out of it, and it can't be boosted. Still a very solid option for a self-sufficient character due to its healing effect.

Dark Zone is good because, paired with Memento Mori, it allows a mage character to do good damage even on a Shout team, because they bring their own self-buff. Memento Mori gives a 30% magic boost along with Doom, and DZ does more damage when the user is doomed, so you get a significant power boost there.

The Chain -agas are more of a luxury; they'll generally do less damage than Dark Zone if you're not hitting a weakness, and hitting a weakness requires making multiple different chain -agas.

Dragoon Jump is another good damage ability for Dragoons. It has a long air time, so it pairs well with Blood of the Wyvern (4* Dragoon ability) which makes the next 2 jumps have no airtime. Again, Dragoons are less common than Knights, though. Also, there's a Lightning-element 5* dragoon ability coming up soonish that has a slightly lower multiplier but more hits, so you're less likely to hit the damage cap.

Those are the top 5* skills at the moment I think. Meteor is a good AoE Black magic spells, and there are a number of OK AoE physical abilities, but none are high priority.

For summons -yeah, make and hone one of Valefor (more Wind orbs) or Maduin (more Non-elemental orbs) first, since they're strong and never resisted. After that, Alexander is a good second 4* summon.

Edit:

CaptainPsyko posted:

One big caveat about Thief's Revenge: it only really comes into its own for thieves around level ~70-75. (Subtract ten with realm synergy). Prior to that, it's basically a good drain strike and doesn't justify its orbs, so hold off unless you're ready levelwise.

In general, a good 5* priority order is:

1) Hone Full Break to R2
2) Hone Multi-hit elemental skills that you can boost. That means Chain *-ga if you have a Mage with an En-Element B/SSB, Saints Cross if you have any Excalibur/Lightbringer but especially one of the newer ones with Enholy/Imperil like Cecil, Celes, Beatrix, etc.
3) Strong skill combinations that lean into your relics. PC/FC if you have tools for Lightning/Zell/Tidus/Gau/Zack, Dragoon Jump (or wait for Thunder Jump) if you have stuff for Kain/Freya/Fang/etc., Dark Zone for an Edea or Golbez or Kuja or you get the idea.

After that, you get into niche stuff like multibreak, or 'I need a strong skill that lots of mans can use for CMs' reasons to Hone full charge or TR or chaingas, and so on.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Multi-Break, Full Charge, and Powerchain.

Multi-break is less frequently useful than Full Break, but it's basically the Full Break you bring to bosses with multiple targets. Not as high a priority as Full Break, but don't ignore it- it's almost mandatory for the support Nightmare.

Full Charge is a good general skill to have- anyone with Combat 5 can use it, so it's easy to slot in. It does almost standard SB-level damage (not SSB) for a long cast time. Not a game-changer, but nice to have.

Powerchain reduces the cast time of the next ability used to 0, so it works very well with Full Charge or before using a SB. However, it's single-hit and it's damage isn't that impressive on its own, so it's definitely more of a niche ability.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 21, 2016

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
One big caveat about Thief's Revenge: it only really comes into its own for thieves around level ~70-75. (Subtract ten with realm synergy). Prior to that, it's basically a good drain strike and doesn't justify its orbs, so hold off unless you're ready levelwise.

In general, a good 5* priority order is:

1) Hone Full Break to R2
2) Hone Multi-hit elemental skills that you can boost. That means Chain *-ga if you have a Mage with an En-Element B/SSB, Saints Cross if you have any Excalibur/Lightbringer but especially one of the newer ones with Enholy/Imperil like Cecil, Celes, Beatrix, etc.
3) Strong skill combinations that lean into your relics. PC/FC if you have tools for Lightning/Zell/Tidus/Gau/Zack, Dragoon Jump (or wait for Thunder Jump) if you have stuff for Kain/Freya/Fang/etc., Dark Zone for an Edea or Golbez or Kuja or you get the idea.

After that, you get into niche stuff like multibreak, or 'I need a strong skill that lots of mans can use for CMs' reasons to Hone full charge or TR or chaingas, and so on.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Thanks for the tips guys! Definitely going to focus on R2 Full Break then.

Luckily it looks like that, Saint's Cross, and Maduin all use different orbs, so I guess I can chip away at all them as I go, since it sounds like those will be my best options for now. Still using a physical team, and now that I have Beatrix's Lightbringer I don't see her leaving any time soon. Wouldn't mind getting another Knight or two on the A-team too, if relics go in my favor. I've got Garnet's BSB and I'd like to have at least one good summoner in the wings for those fights where physical teams just don't cut it.

Now I have to figure out whether or not to pull on this Firion banner and the Vaan banner. They both seem to have a lot of hype and I'm at the point where basically all relics are good relics because I have lovely synergy for every realm still, but I also want to save up for Onion Knight, Alphinaud, the XIII event, and any lucky banners that drop between now and then, so it's going to be pretty tight in the mythril department.

edit: Oh and I forgot about OSB fest too, geez. And I'll probably dump a few mythril into refreshes during the next Orbfest, whenever that is.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Any tips for general strategy help on Kraken+ and/or Nightmare Kaiser (since I don't have Meltdown access yet)? I don't have any fancy Imperils or anything like that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Now I have to figure out whether or not to pull on this Firion banner and the Vaan banner. They both seem to have a lot of hype and I'm at the point where basically all relics are good relics because I have lovely synergy for every realm still, but I also want to save up for Onion Knight, Alphinaud, the XIII event, and any lucky banners that drop between now and then, so it's going to be pretty tight in the mythril department.

In all honesty, between the two I'd lean towards Firion because II has a Mote dungeon CM and the banners for the next II event aren't overwhelmingly good. Larsa is a great banner, but the Vayne banners are also pretty solid.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

AweStriker posted:

Any tips for general strategy help on Kraken+ and/or Nightmare Kaiser (since I don't have Meltdown access yet)? I don't have any fancy Imperils or anything like that.
You probably already know this, but take out the left tentacle for Kraken+, which is on OUR right, HIS left.

If you have Mblink, Kraken+ is a good fight to use it on, because other than his big full party nuke he's not terribly dangerous for a U+ boss (outside of his "ya hosed up" phase where you've killed both tentacles.)

Other than that it's typical U/U+ stuff, break the hell out of his stats, wear as much IX synergy gear as possible (or water resist), and go HAM with SBs/hones.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

50 mythril for firion banner tonight please don't give me minwu's staff again game thanks~~

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

:woop:
I got it, my first Holy SB! Leon's isn't bad either (and I like him better as a character :v:). Priest Miter exists? I don't know the deal with that but who cares.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I think I've become the thread's Schwartzcough again. For single pulls I've pulled one 5* in the last 26 pulls, and I'm 5/44 on 11-pulls since G5 started, which is half the average rate and virtually the lowest rate you can possible get. Uuuugh, it's too soon to do this again.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Welp, likes like I got my first Global Boostga out of the Dollar Pull, so how's Gordon as a character otherwise?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I set aside 100 mythril for FFII, do I do another pull? On this banner or the next? I now have both the BSBs on this banner, as well as a Wing Sword++ and a Cat's Claw++, both of which I can reforge as needed.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Sooo, dumb question, but does comboing Galuf's Invincibility RW with Josef's suicide gloves still work? Those gloves and Minwu's staff are the only relics I have for FFII.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

LornMarkus posted:

Welp, likes like I got my first Global Boostga out of the Dollar Pull, so how's Gordon as a character otherwise?
He has Support 5 and big boy weapons, so he's fine. Not the best among supports but that's not too big a deal.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I got Gordon and Maria's SSB. Not bad! At least my synergy for the mote dungeon and 200/250 dungeon isn't quite as dogshit now

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I have absolutely nothing for 2 at all. I also really don't want to spend anything here on this poo poo, how bad is it gonna be going in for the harder difficulties of this event?

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Hey guys

Guy speak beaver.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Beasteh posted:

I got Gordon and Maria's SSB. Not bad! At least my synergy for the mote dungeon and 200/250 dungeon isn't quite as dogshit now

There's going to be a FF2 200/250 dungeon? guhhhhh....

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

lmbo, accidentally spent 5 mythril on the banner meaning to spend 100 gems, spent half a second swearing at myself but then it ended up being artemis bow (II)

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

LornMarkus posted:

how's Gordon as a character otherwise?
I think he's good. Bow access is nice and Black 3 + White 4 on top of Support 5 could come in handy. His defensive stats at 80 look pretty good among Support 5s; 5172 HP and 111 DEF is behind Ramza's 5595 and 121 but Gordon has 145 RES to Ramza's 116.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It's been a while since an event has had single-stage boss fights in the basic dungeons, or a dungeon with the boss at the start rather than the bottom, huh? That's cool.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I got nothing on the dollar pull on this banner, and being that I have no mythril at the moment and there's much better banners coming up, I can't justify spending on this one, especially when there's so little II content. I'm real jealous of the guy who pulled both Sun Blade and Rune Axe.

Oh yeah, and finally got 50 mythril for a big pull on Eiko 1!

Well I didn't get the big prize, but I did get two good synergy weapons for IX content, and that's pretty nice. No complaints here, could've been a lot worse!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Shoenin posted:

Hey guys

Guy speak beaver.

That's what she said?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Got Leon's axe and 2 of Maria's bow. That axe Burst seems pretty good against any boss weak to darkness (especially with a built-in drain attack), but the bows are kinda meh at this point I think, unless I'm missing something about it. Is there a reason to keep both of them or should I combine em? I don't think I've used a bow even once so far so I dunno if even a combined one will ever see much use. The magic boost is nice, but I've already got Vincent's shotgun and Edea's crown for that, and they don't stack, right? I'm guessing both of them are better mages than Maria, too, since I never hear anything about her.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Oh, apparently Firion didn't get his Samurai buff yet

Got Leon's axe and 2 of Maria's bow. That axe Burst seems pretty good against any boss weak to darkness (especially with a built-in drain attack), but the bows are kinda meh at this point I think, unless I'm missing something about it. Is there a reason to keep both of them or should I combine em? I don't think I've used a bow even once so far so I dunno if even a combined one will ever see much use. The magic boost is nice, but I've already got Vincent's shotgun and Edea's crown for that, and they don't stack, right? I'm guessing both of them are better mages than Maria, too, since I never hear anything about her.
Keep them separate unless you have adequate 2 synergy. And yeah Vincent and Edea are better for general use, though the magic boost could be useful for Cid Missions?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

They don't stack, but the bow is equivalent to a rod, just has fewer users. Specifically, in terms of black mages or summoners, Echo, Maria, Arc, Ashe and Serah can use it. Yuffie and Thancred can also use it as a top tier ninja magic weapon.

Maria is fine. She has among the highest Mag stats in the game, and her burst is one of the best. But this SB is Just Another second-rate Faithga, so, yeah, mainly useful for Cids Missions and such.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

One thing to remember about Maria's bow is that with synergy it's attack should be perfectly usable if not ideal. And more than half of the current FFII cast can use bows.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Maria is someone you don't hear much about because her only Global SB right this moment is the aforementioned "ehn" Faithga. Otherwise she's fine(secondary White has some uses, even if it's not high enough for the good stuff, so she's at least not pure Black), just not standout.

Do note; this changes literally later this event, and Meteor XVI is surprisingly brutal, all told. Even if the element is a little questionable, everything else about it is good.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

SageAcrin posted:

Do note; this changes literally later this event, and Meteor XVI is surprisingly brutal, all told. Even if the element is a little questionable, everything else about it is good.

Earth is actually surprisingly common as a neutral element. It's a very rare weakness, sure, but its not nearly as common a resistance/null/absorb as it was in the game's early days.

That's one reason Guy's imperil is surprisingly solid.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Oh jesus gently caress.

So I accidentally somehow selected Leviathan pouch from the menu, when trying to do a 100-gem purchase. I submitted a refund request via email with full info to their support, but under the DeNA Global dissolution this couldn't have happened at a worse time. :ohdear:

Anyone else have experiences with a gently caress up like this with DeNA, are they generally willing to do refunds?

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

KataraniSword posted:

Earth is actually surprisingly common as a neutral element. It's a very rare weakness, sure, but its not nearly as common a resistance/null/absorb as it was in the game's early days.

That's one reason Guy's imperil is surprisingly solid.

Yeah, Earth is resisted more than it is weaked, in my experience, so it's not necessarily the best element... but honestly, either happens basically never.

It's fine; Meteor is great.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

ApplesandOranges posted:

In all honesty, between the two I'd lean towards Firion because II has a Mote dungeon CM and the banners for the next II event aren't overwhelmingly good. Larsa is a great banner, but the Vayne banners are also pretty solid.

Personally, since II content is so infrequent I'm pulling on Larsa and hoping that II relics show up on good overall festival banners in global. Pulling on dedicated banners for realms that get an event every six months feels like such a waste, except for Tactics and XIV because their banners banners are so OP. And even then, the Delita/Ovelia/Mustadio and Yda/Papalymo banners were mostly skippable unless you really wanted the first wave of crit boost SBs.

I can understand the argument you're making though, since post-buffs the FF2 cast is actually mostly quite good. But I also have a dupe on each banner which also makes me less inclined to pull.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Attestant posted:

Oh jesus gently caress.

So I accidentally somehow selected Leviathan pouch from the menu, when trying to do a 100-gem purchase. I submitted a refund request via email with full info to their support, but under the DeNA Global dissolution this couldn't have happened at a worse time. :ohdear:

Anyone else have experiences with a gently caress up like this with DeNA, are they generally willing to do refunds?

Self-quoting to update, looks like I got a very good and fast reply from the support. Gems are unused, so those will go away, and they'll contact me about refunding after that is done.

Whew.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Last II event was in the middle of a fest banner that took my mythril, so let's toss some at this to see if I can beef up my II synergy.

Oh, man, 5? That's the most rainbows I've ever seen in a single draw.

:aaaaa:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Just got 100% Master on all Classic and Expert Dungeons. I'll never let it get that bad again :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Well poo poo, now DeNA tells me that while they took away the 9500 gems, they can't actually refund the money. Now I have to fight with Google support, and apparently I'll get a reply in 24-72 hours.

I just want my 100 bucks back, drat it. That was my Civ 6 money! :argh:

• Locked thread