Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

It might be a good idea to give this feedback to them. I would but am chronically afraid of phone calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vain
Aug 1, 2005
What episode has Jonathan talking about seeing the two Swedish nannies next door sunbathing topless? I know he talked about it on episode 284, but I'm thinking of a much later episode where he talked about it again. I think he also talks about taking the girl next door to a drive-in cinema, and all the while Seth is just going like "How's your life dog."

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Actually I feel Seth was a lot more manic in earlier eps and has mellowed with age. But I like me a good Seth rant. The last sobriety one was amazing.

H A T T A M
Apr 21, 2016

I like new UYD more than old. I've listened through probably 3 times now since I don't listen to any other podcasts really and I love Uhh Yeah Dude. Listening to the old ones, they seemed to have put on a persona. With the newer episodes, I think they're more laid back and just themselves.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9qtPo7VqGU

Everyone loves a good Seth sobriety rant.

H A T T A M fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 18, 2016

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

HATTAM posted:

I like new UYD more than old. I've listened through probably 3 times now since I don't listen to any other podcasts really and I love Uhh Yeah Dude. Listening to the old ones, they seemed to have put on a persona. With the newer episodes, I think they're more laid back and just themselves.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9qtPo7VqGU

Everyone loves a good Seth sobriety rant.

lmao

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Big differences I notice these days, beyond Seth losing some of the subtlety of his act and Jonathan not really trying to be funny now, is that Seth talks over Jonathan A LOT more. Jonathan will be dead silent for minutes on end, then he'll have something to add to Seth's screaming, and Seth just blurts over him. It is quite frustrating.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I think the dumb firefighter on Hollywood Game Night broke his brain.

nightcrawler and the dez bryant play

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Patreon will be looked back as the beginning of the end.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

HATTAM posted:

Listening to the old ones, they seemed to have put on a persona. With the newer episodes, I think they're more laid back and just themselves.

CortezFantastic posted:

Actually I feel Seth was a lot more manic in earlier eps and has mellowed with age.

I don't know how either of you came to these conclusions. 90% of the new episodes revolve around Seth rants with small Jonathan observations about them. Seth, the character on the podcast, has absolutely not mellowed with age. As for being "laid back, and more themselves" they sound perfectly comfortable a year or so in (like from when the spogebob rocks thing in episode 32 was posted) and for being more themselves I absolutely don't think that's the case. Jonathan bites his tongue a lot more now and has said as much and I truly believe that Seth is playing up a character now with his rants. My theory is that because some of the rants have gotten a lot positive feedback (move not common to the game, hollywood game night etc.) and that because it's easier for him to fall into that character on stage with his nerves that he's begun to amp it up on the actual show. I still like UYD a lot but I just wish it was more like the older episodes. The original draw of the show was that it sounded like two friends just having a conversation about topics, now it doesn't sound like that, it sounds more formulaic and exaggerated. I'm not a fan of being negative about a thing that's given me so much free entertainment but I hadn't listened to an older episode in a long time and it really showed how much the tone and flow of the show had changed.

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib

Seltzer posted:

I don't know how either of you came to these conclusions. 90% of the new episodes revolve around Seth rants with small Jonathan observations about them. Seth, the character on the podcast, has absolutely not mellowed with age. As for being "laid back, and more themselves" they sound perfectly comfortable a year or so in (like from when the spogebob rocks thing in episode 32 was posted) and for being more themselves I absolutely don't think that's the case. Jonathan bites his tongue a lot more now and has said as much and I truly believe that Seth is playing up a character now with his rants. My theory is that because some of the rants have gotten a lot positive feedback (move not common to the game, hollywood game night etc.) and that because it's easier for him to fall into that character on stage with his nerves that he's begun to amp it up on the actual show. I still like UYD a lot but I just wish it was more like the older episodes. The original draw of the show was that it sounded like two friends just having a conversation about topics, now it doesn't sound like that, it sounds more formulaic and exaggerated. I'm not a fan of being negative about a thing that's given me so much free entertainment but I hadn't listened to an older episode in a long time and it really showed how much the tone and flow of the show had changed.

I am not into games or drama!

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
The shows always been consistently great for 10 fuckin years. "Patreon the beginning of the end' lol cmon.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
That was always going to be the case though wasn't it.

When I started listening to uyd (my memory is so bad now I think it was possibly 6/12 months or so after my join date). That was when they were sort of getting a bit disillusioned and you could tell. I could only tell because I was listening to both the newer episodes then the old ones at the same time.

Then at some point they came back hard and the quality shot back up. I think they are in a great place now. I do sort of miss seth's rants about being sober and why is life so boring and meaningless etc. Him having a proper income now and living the good life is a great trade up though.

let i hug
Dec 25, 2011

I've generally been liking the latest episodes, though the last 2 might've been a little weak for me after an especially hot streak. Y'all should definitely call the voicemail though because they probably do think/talk a lot about different things they're trying to do with the show.

I think Jonathan is maybe destined to be quieter in general now though because it's obvious he's grown a lot as a person over the past 10 years and probably doesn't feel the need to chime in on so many things about life as he used to. Ultimately I think that's a good thing; it's actually kind of hard for me to hear him tell people not to get flu vaccines and question vaccines in general when I listen to some of the earlier episodes, and there's other stuff like that.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I like the show a lot. I think the latest eps have been the best ones in a long time.

However, that podcast that they were guests on recently was terrible. How do people listen to those dipshits?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah I think that is the whole point. UYD is about what seth has discovered that week and jonathan's reaction. That is why they don't have guests. I'm pretty sure that episode was a favour for a friend.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Also worth bearing in mind that the general vibe/tone of the show does naturally change over time, just very gradually. Would not surprise me at all if in a couple of years Seth was more chilled and Jonathan was speaking more. Just about where they're both at in their lives at the time of recording.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

let i hug posted:

Y'all should definitely call the voicemail though because they probably do think/talk a lot about different things they're trying to do with the show.

This has been suggested twice now but I'd feel weird calling someone to tell them what to do with their show/stop behaving a certain way. There's no way to say that without me feeling like a bit of an rear end in a top hat.

GraPar posted:

Also worth bearing in mind that the general vibe/tone of the show does naturally change over time, just very gradually. Would not surprise me at all if in a couple of years Seth was more chilled and Jonathan was speaking more. Just about where they're both at in their lives at the time of recording.

I get that and I think it explains a lot of things, Jonathan has certainly mellowed out a lot since he was 30 (?) but the Seth rant thing can feel like a bit of an act at times and get a bit grating. Trust me it's not a huge deal, personally I still like the show a lot, I'm just pointing out the differences and what I think was better about the earlier shows.

Does anyone know the episode where Jonathan first admits he broke his veganism?

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Seltzer posted:

This has been suggested twice now but I'd feel weird calling someone to tell them what to do with their show/stop behaving a certain way. There's no way to say that without me feeling like a bit of an rear end in a top hat.

Call the voicemail. Leave your number. Seth will call you back and you can talk to him one on one.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Greatest Living Man posted:

Call the voicemail. Leave your number. Seth will call you back and you can talk to him one on one.

Gonna ask him if he has stairs in his home :dings:

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

GraPar posted:

The vibe of the show is def. a lot better today that it was say, two years ago, when Jonathan was depressed and morose every episode.

let i hug
Dec 25, 2011

Seltzer posted:

You're (apparently) a long time fan of the show who values what they do and want them to continue doing it as well as possible, and you have an outsiders perspective. Call them and say maybe Seth could chill out some. There's definitely potential to be an rear end in a top hat when doing that but if you're chill and respect that they are the ones who ultimately decide what direction to take the show in I think that's welcome feedback. These are gradual changes and they might not even notice if no one points it out or they might not think it's detracting if no one says so. Keep calm and ask your bro Seth why he's popping off so much. That openness is 100% the vibe they've always wanted to maintain.

I would do it if I was bothered but I'm happy with things progressing as they have been. If things suddenly felt kinda lovely I would totally call.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Trunko posted:

The vibe of the show is def. a lot better today that it was say, two years ago, when Jonathan was depressed and morose every episode.

People are forgetting this. I feel like every new episode at the time had some kind of comment about how sad it is that Jonathan was moving to NY and was depressed and that the show was definitely over.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Seth has always gone on rants and that's cool and good, but he needs to do it without screaming. Him going off on Nascar was funny and all on paper but the screeching tone he takes on when doing it made it painful to get through. Go back to the Cheech & Chong rant in my last post (or like that whole ep) for an example.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Scientists have two words for you: "Dream on, man"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
539 and 540 up.

:siren: New live show- Raleigh NC on 2/11/17 :toot:

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
While there were exceptions, I remember the mid-to-late 200s being a pretty low point for UYD. I want to say I dropped off listening for about half a year in the 260s. Might have just been the place I was in my life.

I've since listened all the way back up to current and enjoyed it, though. MLow-point UYD is still some of the best podcast listening out there.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yea, for any of the critiques I've had it's crazy to think they've never had an episode I would call bad. Maybe the gas leak episode but that becomes good again with the context.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I don't know if you can say they've had no bad episodes. There have been plenty where you could tell neither of em were feeling it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I go through spurts of either listening weekly, binging as many back-episodes as I can or taking a break from the show for a month or so at a time. It really has more to do with where I'm at than any quality shifts on the show's part. The energy and personalities have fluctuated over time but UYD has some of the most consistent quality of any media.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Happy to hear one of my favourite long-running UYD topics coming back in 539: Jonathan's total disgust with all feet.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

I haven't listened to 540 yet but hey Seth managed to get through 539 without any screaming old man rants about cellphones/celebrity paychecks/internet :toot:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
540- "Coal matters, it's black too"

loving :laffo:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yo dog, you dead dog

greatrambino
May 7, 2007
Just got a call back from Seth after leaving a voice mail a few days ago. I wish I had called years ago, but that whole crippling anxiety of phone calls held me back.

The show has changed over the years, but it's been almost 10 years, of course the hosts personalities will change. UYD is still one of like 5 podcasts that I will download and listen to every episode every week.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

greatrambino posted:

Just got a call back from Seth after leaving a voice mail a few days ago. I wish I had called years ago, but that whole crippling anxiety of phone calls held me back.

The show has changed over the years, but it's been almost 10 years, of course the hosts personalities will change. UYD is still one of like 5 podcasts that I will download and listen to every episode every week.

What y'all talk about? Any j/o tips? No gay poo poo

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Seth has been super chill last two episodes and everything is great.......

but Belize looms in the distance. :stare:

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I have talked to Seth a handful of times throughout the years, and the last was solely about the 30 for 30 about OJ, and how it was in LA when it went down.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

flesh dance posted:

ya, they still have their golden moments, but 100% manic top-volume seth has really begun to grate on me even :/

like to the point where I usually wonder to myself at least once an ep if I'd have stuck around and kept listening if this had been the tone from waaaaay back when I discovered them

I love new freakout Seth way more than '07 Seth. Old Seth was a bit depressing

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 22, 2016

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
I'll accept more screaming or less screaming from Seth as long as we get one moneymoneymoney every ep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H A T T A M
Apr 21, 2016

I have no problem with NASCAR SETH, as long the show doesn't turn into 2009 UYD where both of them are angry at everything that's ever mentioned. I've never noticed a problem with Seth in the last ~30 episode. Sure, he gets loud, but I laugh so idk. I might disagree with what he's getting loud at, but it's not something that I've ever noticed until the thread mentioned it.

H A T T A M fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 22, 2016