Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I just started my first game. Evidently Mount Everest isn't a Natural Wonder, but it's definitely in the game because I spawned 2 tiles away from it.

e: I'm dumb, I just didn't get the intro video when I started the game but it's giving me wonder tile yields

Mayor Dave fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
Is there a way to cancel the construction of a wonder? I have an uncompleted wonder sitting in a prime spot for an Industrial Zone and I can't figure out how to cancel the construction.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

euphronius posted:

Why is this game an upgrade over 5

Why is Joel Embiid an upgrade over Nerlens Noel

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

euphronius posted:

Why is this game an upgrade over 5

Because it's the 6th in the series, not the 5th?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Deki posted:

The AI seems a lot more War-happy than in 5. I've gotten declared by every met civ so far and I'm not very weak. Also 2 unmet civs have gotten shithoused already.

Luckily for me American Oligarcy seems to turn everything into wrecking balls.
Did two declare war at the same time to start?

In the streams it looked like AI were a bit too eager to accept joint war deals. Even in the AI stream yesterday in the modern era two Civs declared war at once when it was a pretty bad idea.

And it looks like once you're at war anyone with a remote interest in war with you figures there's no downside and declares war too, especially in the ancient era.

Whether they can actually conduct a war might be another issue.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

My biggest gripe right now is that screen edge scrolling is poo poo, but the actual game has so many things going on that I feel I would have been completely overwhelmed if I hadn't been following this thread. loving amazing, and I think it will take a lot of games before I manage to internalize everything enough to be bothered by the weak AI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seikilos_epitaph posted:

The Seikilos epitaph is the oldest surviving complete musical composition, including musical notation, from anywhere in the world. The epitaph has been dated variously from around 200 BC to around AD 100, but the first century AD is the most probable guess.

:aaaaa:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Prism posted:

So, uh, Arabia.

Saladin's religion has 1/10th cost holy buildings for everyone who wants to build one. Talk about an incentive to spread his religion. I don't remember that bonus from Well of Souls.

Also he gets science for every foreign city following his religion, so that's nice.

Yeah, we talked about that earlier once the Chinese leak page was getting spread. His religion is probably really easy to convince people to be converted to in MP. It's awesome (though Kongo doesn't care because, without holy sites, they can't build worship buildings, making the most obvious target the one who doesn't benefit).

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Eiba posted:

Was it a big mistake to activate the greenman version before I got my refund?

I waited until the refund was processed (i.e., it actually showed as refunded in my Steam purchase history) before activating the GMG key. Assuming you've got the deluxe edition, you should have the Aztec Civ Pack, 25th Anniversary soundtrack, and Deluxe Extras listed as DLC.

As long as you got a confirmation the refund was requested before the game even released, I suspect it will be fine.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Kassad posted:

Windows first, then Mac some time later and Linux... God knows when. Digging on Reddit, I found this statement by someone working at Aspyr.

Hopefully they do release a Linux port.

oh :(

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Yeah, that's a bit discouraging. Their announcement that there'd be a Linux port eventually is part of why I bought the game :(

But I guess there's always Wine...

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Kassad posted:

Yeah, that's a bit discouraging. Their announcement that there'd be a Linux port eventually is part of why I bought the game :(

But I guess there's always Wine...

Well, Civ5 port took a while but was released eventually, we can still have hope

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Eiba posted:

And it looks like once you're at war anyone with a remote interest in war with you figures there's no downside and declares war too, especially in the ancient era.

Because there's no warmonger penalty poo poo in the ancient era, you drat barbarians.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

They used the Epitaph for the Greek theme in Civ V as well. There's something surreal about imagining a guy humming the same tune nearly 2000 years ago.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Does anyone know if a city has to be built directly on the coast for it to be a coastal city, or is one tile away sufficient? For that matter, is there even such a thing as a 'coastal city', or is the only thing that matters where the city's buildable hexes are located?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I too probably have to quit as Rome. It was a mistake starting my first game on Emperor.

Just settled a second city while Germany has six, two of them former city states. France and America both have four. America also just decalred war on Germany because Barbarossa keeps making GBS threads on the city states. Everyone is way in the classical era and I'm still ancient while Rome is stagnant and I have no science. France just started giving me the stink-eye as well.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Playing as Aztecs for my first game and Eagle Warriors are something else. Just from an early turn 25 war with Arabia over an aggressive settlement I got 5 loving builders. After the war both my cities were fully pimped out with full tile improvements and a couple of rushed campuses for essentially free. Now at turn 150 I've pulled so far ahead of the pack on both science and culture it's ridiculous, even though I've been in almost nonstop wars. The snowball effect is unreal.

It's weird, the tooltip says there's a "chance" the enemy unit will be captured but so far I've had 100% capture rate.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
The AI's biggest failing that I can see so far is it can't handle barbarians for poo poo.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I just watched a stream where someone declared war on Gilgamesh. Gilgamesh seemed to love it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Human Crouton posted:

I just watched a stream where someone declared war on Gilgamesh. Gilgamesh seemed to love it.

oh yea, anyone actually played as Gilgamesh yet? He seems like a pretty unique and neat type of playstyle.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I wanna play :(

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i dumped at least 300 hours into civ 5 and have been playing since 3

my first game of 6, i got wrecked by barbarians by turn 50. second game, france declared war on me and ALMOST wrecked my capital by turn 40. this may not be indicative of overall ai changes, but my usual "complete isolationist early game" seems to be harder this time around.

i'd have absolutely lost my capital to france if i hadn't hit 3 envoys with city-state jerusalem and they declared war on france to get my back. they will be a strong ally in my holy religious war on the world.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

I was wondering how strong Gorgo's bonus would be, but apparently the common experience is constant warfare. So I guess I know my starting civ.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

Deki posted:

The AI's biggest failing that I can see so far is it can't handle barbarians for poo poo.

Which is my biggest failing so far as well. Man they leveled those bastards up.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

The lack of ability to disable Auto Unit Cycling is loving bullshit.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

lordsummerisle posted:

Which is my biggest failing so far as well. Man they leveled those bastards up.

the +strength against Barbarian civic is drat near needed. If you can get that and Oligarchy then Barbarians become hilariously weak. Barbarians were helping me siege Spain's capitol because it was considered suicidal to even attack my archers at that point.

Deki fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 20, 2016

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

You can get Great Works from goodie huts. I got one on turn 4 that gives me 4 faith and 2 gold per turn. Hellooooo, massive early game religious advantage for free.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Is there a pitboss option for multiplayer this time?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

How do I upgrade a unit when it tells me the upgrade is available it seems unintuitive.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tendales posted:

Is there a pitboss option for multiplayer this time?

Edit: According to PC Gamer, it has "Up to 12 Online, Local Network, and Hot Seat" for multiplayer.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 20, 2016

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Does anybody yet have the word on how MP is performing?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Ice Fist posted:

Does anybody yet have the word on how MP is performing?

I don't think there will be any big MP action reporting until after the game officially launches in every zone.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Playing at 2560x1440, game looks absolutely gorgeous except for the teensy UI. The scale option is greyed out and I legit have a headache from squinting. Still, great fun so far. Made the mistake of thinking "oh, the Scythians only have a few horses on the map, my legions should have no problem when I assault their capital!" A thousand years later, there are still more horses. I have nightmares about horses. Roman children go to sleep scared, haunted by stories of horses. We're at almost perfect economic parity, far as I can tell, and so my legions and knights will spend eternity doing battle with the Scythians in the mountain pass between my civilization and theirs, while our two proxy city-states do battle in the North.

Horses.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
You just committed the same mistake Crassus did.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I don't want to pre-order this because beyond earth was a pile of poo poo. It looks like the only pre-order bonus is the Aztecs, who unlock in 90 days anyway. So, "do not pre-order", right?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Beyond Earth was a dumb little side project that was obviously going to suck as soon as they started talking about it.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I'm so glad a bunch of really clear stuff from the civ 5 ui was turned into a bunch of eye squinting bullshit that gets in the way, probably in the name of change and screenshots.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

My refund is being processed as we speak

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Captain Fargle posted:

The lack of ability to disable Auto Unit Cycling is loving bullshit.

I'm noticing a lot of tiny little UI annoyances but I'm sure that's inevitable for day 1. I'm so used to the UI streamlining of Civ 5 (especially with mods) that they really stand out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E_Motion
Oct 26, 2004

Your fortuitous arrival is most welcome! Now, I am spared the bother of hunting you down!

College Slice
Wow. I'm really impressed. I was hyped, but after playing this for a couple of hours, it's a MASSIVE upgrade over V and I liked V at launch!

Also, the new theme song might be on the same level as Baba Yetu.