Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

A cute touch in the battle against Revan is that Satele Shan can use Battle Meditation just like her grandmother- it has the effect of quadrupling your Max HP, which is nifty.

The Revan battle in general is a neat idea, even if it is a bit tedious in practice- it's nice to see your allies actually do something for a change instead of leaving it all up to you. Revan has monstrously high HP, so it really does take a collective effort to finally beat him down.

I guess Revan being both an arrogant brute and a kindly Jedi is a meta reference to KOTOR's two endings. Disappointing that his final appearance in the franchise is him explaining what a fuckup he is and then disappearing though. He could at least have dropped some enigmatic advice before he left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Inferior posted:

A cute touch in the battle against Revan is that Satele Shan can use Battle Meditation just like her grandmother- it has the effect of quadrupling your Max HP, which is nifty.

The Revan battle in general is a neat idea, even if it is a bit tedious in practice- it's nice to see your allies actually do something for a change instead of leaving it all up to you. Revan has monstrously high HP, so it really does take a collective effort to finally beat him down.

I guess Revan being both an arrogant brute and a kindly Jedi is a meta reference to KOTOR's two endings. Disappointing that his final appearance in the franchise is him explaining what a fuckup he is and then disappearing though. He could at least have dropped some enigmatic advice before he left.

It's a better fate than KOTOR 2's Exile, who gets killed offscreen and then appears only in cutscenes for a mid-game Flashpoint. Her killer gets better treatment as a Knight companion.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If you're dark side, does Revan's meat body consume the force one?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bruceski posted:

If you're dark side, does Revan's meat body consume the force one?

Nope.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Promethium posted:

There's a tool at https://torcommunity.com/database/search/mission that lets you look up possible dialogue paths for quests. (You do need to know the name of the quest so it's not very useful unless you are playing through it.) The Revan confrontation for Imperial characters can be found here and if you click through the various Conversation NPCs and expand the trees you can get a sense of the possibilities.

That's a drat neat tool. I checked out the variants for the Imperial classes and had no idea that if an Imperial Agent decided to become a Republic double-agent in their class quest that there would ever be a follow-up.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
...that was it?

How did Revan get so many people to join him? The end-game is so focused on Republic/Empire team ups being (understandably I guess) drat near impossible to do. Why did people join him? And if the answer is the obvious; 'cos galactic wide extinction'... why doesn't he just go public? Or at the very least just contact key figures in each faction and propose a small alliance of a strike team or something. We see in this he can get a load of people to follow him anyway. I'm sure at the least his great grand children will be at least willing to entertain the idea.

I hope I'm missing something, so this may be wrong... But Revans plan was to accelerate the war to get lots of people killed quickly, so the Emperor could eat them and revive himself, so Revan could fight him to death but for real this time. (To be fair, he did work with Mission. No way some Blue Twilek is going to get the job done.)
Despite the fact the last two times he met the emperor he got his rear end kicked.

IIRC KotoR2 (and Scorchies LP of it.) Revan met the Emperor, realised he was too strong for himself/the galaxy to stop him, and set out to make the 'Old Republic' powerful enough to fight back. Either through conquering it and remaking it in Revans image. Or forcing it, for lack of better words, to evolve it through 'natural selection', by fighting it himself.
And, some what ironically, this failed... due to an Republic/Empire team up, albeit an unintentional one. The Republic sent a strike team in to distract Revan, and the Empire essentially used the opportunity to blow him up.

This time he wants to punch him in the face till he dies. But only after he kills a bunch of people for no reason to destroy his prep time. Despite the fact the emperor is back, the ending victory is in that had Revan succeeded, he'd be even stronger. That doesn't make any sense?

But then the most frustrating thing is there is something of a mastermind chess master plot line in there based of the climax! His actions do actually cause the two factions to unite. Revan sacrificing himself, and god knows how many lives in order to get the Republic and Empire to work together to confront the greater threat as a stronger whole is KotOR2 Revan.
Even if it did last a whole 20 minutes. Revan having grand over ambitious plans not work out is consistent too for the most part.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I appreciate the final battle, even if you're probably superfluous unless you're somehow coordinating everyone's best attacks.

The plot is just... why the gently caress would you announce yourself like some kind of Republic serial villain?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Paused posted:

How did Revan get so many people to join him?

The Revanites already existed as a sort of doomsday cult ("One day, Revan will return to lead us!"). He just took them over and changed how they did business.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Revanites already existed as a sort of doomsday cult ("One day, Revan will return to lead us!"). He just took them over and changed how they did business.

Never meet your heroes.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Those dorks in the woods? Sure I can buy them going all in. But at the start there were Dark Council and Jedi Generals involved right? Or were these supposedly super powerful, famous people also really dedicated to that group out outcasts?

Again, I can get why we the audience wants to see Revan... Fanservice! But they never really show in universe, why Revan is considered worthy of devotion.

I guess it fits in star wars though... Just like we're told Anakin is all powerful, because he ends up as beloved character Darth Vader... yet we never see Anakin be 'special'. Revan is a super bad guy as he says so and people feel so, and he is as bioware has stated it as so.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Paused posted:

Those dorks in the woods? Sure I can buy them going all in. But at the start there were Dark Council and Jedi Generals involved right? Or were these supposedly super powerful, famous people also really dedicated to that group out outcasts?

Again, I can get why we the audience wants to see Revan... Fanservice! But they never really show in universe, why Revan is considered worthy of devotion.

I guess it fits in star wars though... Just like we're told Anakin is all powerful, because he ends up as beloved character Darth Vader... yet we never see Anakin be 'special'. Revan is a super bad guy as he says so and people feel so, and he is as bioware has stated it as so.

Poptarts chose the solo version, but for those who care there is a fully fledged raid here, the Temple of Sacrifice. The story implies that the Temple of Sacrifice was actually built by Exar Kun for his own use, and was subsequently hijacked by Revan and the Emperor.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
So what does that do? Why is it important?

Regardless, that would apparently be the last 'thing' to do before you just go and kill the guy. Sure, the penultimate quest showing off *again* the big bads power to remind you of the threat he represents makes sense. But we seem to spend the whole of this expansion chasing a guy who is apparently the ultimate challenge for the galaxy... yet we've not seen him do a drat thing?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Revan or I guess dark Side Revan's plan was to bring back the Emperor some how into a physical body and destroy him once and for all in some fashion as I guess he can't be destroyed in Force ghost/spirit form. I don't think he was planning on using the deaths of republic/empire troops just Revan worshipers maybe as I am fairly sure he expected to devastate or at least keep both sides busy at Rishi leaving them distracted from his plans but of course we the players ruin this.

We have to remember that as stupid? as it seems this Revan has split himself for his light side and is full Darth Kill Them All Revan and he seems to have that hero complex of being the only one strong/capable enough to destroy the Emperor. In other words the Galaxy is doomed because of his ego. Way to go Revan *sarcastic clapping*

As for why does he have so many followers. Well even after 300 years of history the name of Revan for the Republic and Darth Revan for the Empire still holds a lot of weight and awe behind it. Not to mention that there are probably lots of soldiers and people on both sides vastly fed up with their leaders that siding with Revan would be more appealing. Throw in a dose of extinction for the galaxy and you have a pretty good argument for supporting him. Plus he actually you know tries to get things done.

In the end I kind of liked the Revan story line. I still think the force ghost splitting thing was stupid but considering how Revan saw his best friend/ally die, was betrayed by another possible ally, imprisoned and linked to the Emperor's mind as he plotted galaxy extinction and most likely horribly tortured, released only to be killed again. It is unlikely by this point the man is even sane.

So to cut everything short this was one lunatic trying to stop another lunatic while we all run around playing damage control.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

koolkevz666 posted:

Revan or I guess dark Side Revan's plan was to bring back the Emperor some how into a physical body and destroy him once and for all in some fashion as I guess he can't be destroyed in Force ghost/spirit form. I don't think he was planning on using the deaths of republic/empire troops just Revan worshipers maybe as I am fairly sure he expected to devastate or at least keep both sides busy at Rishi leaving them distracted from his plans but of course we the players ruin this.
I think I get what you're saying... but isn't that worse? I'm only going sacrifice those who follow me, and so I can do this in peace I'm going to make a bunch of other guys kill each other somewhere else.

koolkevz666 posted:

As for why does he have so many followers. Well even after 300 years of history the name of Revan for the Republic and Darth Revan for the Empire still holds a lot of weight and awe behind it. Not to mention that there are probably lots of soldiers and people on both sides vastly fed up with their leaders that siding with Revan would be more appealing. Throw in a dose of extinction for the galaxy and you have a pretty good argument for supporting him. Plus he actually you know tries to get things done.

You know sure; I can buy that. It just be nice to have a scene demonstrating it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sith Warrior Shadows of Revan Update 31: Interregnum and Homecoming.

Click for Video

He’s here--Vitiate’s presence, here on Ziost. He’s taking over this outpost, controlling soldiers and Sith, using them to murder anyone he can.
Hold them off. I’m on my way.
Good. Thank you.
I’m sending coordinates. We’ll hold this bunker as long as we can, but you must hurry or--

Don’t you normally bring Vette with you on field excursions, my lord?
I don’t want her to see my home this way.
My lord? I thought you were from--
I was trained on Korriban, Captain, but I’m from Ziost.

So our Emperor is here to send you a message.
He’s not the type to simply choose a planet at random.

Click for Video

Is this where Minister Beniko’s transmission originated?
Quiet, Captain.

Click for Video

I take it the Republic knows what’s happening already.
The SIS knows, at the very least. Difficult to say beyond that--everything’s happening so fast.
The Jedi you fought belonged to the Sixth Line. SIS commandos who follow their own addendum to the Jedi Code, hence the name.

Pardon the interruption. I sent a probe droid to look into that crashed shuttle, Minister Beniko. It’s empty.

That’s great. I don’t care.

You can thank our friend Theron Shan for that.
The Sixth Line arrived when Vitiate started making moves. It’s not clear yet how Agent Shan knew to send them, but we do know he’s responsible.
“Not Clear.” Right.
As you’ve witnessed, Vitiate is taking hold of an increasing number of soldiers and Sith. His goal continues to be the accumulation of power. Agent?
The dark side is strong on Ziost. Using the outpost’s resources, our former Emperor can massacre the defenseless to fuel him.
The more powerful he becomes, the more people he can control. He will keep on killing until nothing’s left.
No poo poo.

I’m needed everywhere, all at once.--
Welcome to life as one of the Empire’s ten or so most competent people.
--I’ve already lingered too long. Agent Kovach has a plan to help stem the bloodshed.
It’s an honor, my lord. Here’s what I have in mind.
It's back to business as usual I see, and after things looked so promising on Rishii.
The outpost armory is wide open right now. It’s where the possessed have been getting their firepower. It needs to be placed on lockdown.
That won’t be enough to stop him.
No, it won’t. But we have to start somewhere.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Ah Ziost I rather liked what they did with the story line for the planet. It is a shame that it was just so short and releasing the content in episodes was rather annoying. Still will be interesting to see your take on it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Sixth Line. I guess that's one better than Fifth Freedom?

I have a feeling they're trying to play this more cloaky daggerous, but I have no idea if that's right.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Nice new outfit. The collar's a bit ostentatious though.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Twelve Elves posted:

The Klingon's Wrath.

And behold, Ziost! My that's a pickle the Empire's gotten into, what with the Emperor wrecking up an important Imperial world. I sure hope the Republic knows better than to willingly stick its hand in that blender!

Sorry, what's that? A whole team of Jedi commandos thrown away already? Well then.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Twelve Elves posted:

It's Mort's bathrobe. He didn't bother to change.

Dolash posted:

And behold, Ziost! My that's a pickle the Empire's gotten into, what with the Emperor wrecking up an important Imperial world. I sure hope the Republic knows better than to willingly stick its hand in that blender!

Sorry, what's that? A whole team of Jedi commandos thrown away already? Well then.

It gets so much better dumber!

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

PoptartsNinja posted:

It gets so much better dumber!

To be fair it's SUPPOSED to be the Republic being too stupid to live here by getting involved. Too be fair, Ziost is an important world to the Sith Empire (waaay back when it was their capital until Star Wars Continuity happened, and I understand it's still pretty economically important) so it makes a certain sense why the Emperor targeted it for maximum carnage value and the Republic is interested.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm fully aware, I'm actually referring to something that happens that never gets mentioned or referenced again afterwards.

I like Ziost but some of the jigsaw pieces just don't quite fit.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Wait. The Emperors name is pronounced Vi-poo poo? It almost sound like a poor anti nintendo buzz word.

Seems a nice introduction to a story thread. Do I dare ask if they ever give any explanation at all to who the Emp can and can not take control of? Let alone one that is consistent and makes sense?

I really like the outfit too. I dunno, just seems to fit Mort.

And for gameplay questions; Despite the title, this feels outside of the Revan expansion and on to the next expansion that I'm aware of? I assume at launch of 'Revan' this wasn't immediately available after Yavin?
And, assuming Quinnie is indisposed with that box, how different are things here on Republic? I can guess Theron is here rather than Lana, but we still on Ziost?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Ziost is more or less the finale to Emperor's comeback, and I don't remember anything particular that ties it to upcoming storyline.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GuyUpNorth posted:

Ziost is more or less the finale to Emperor's comeback, and I don't remember anything particular that ties it to upcoming storyline.

It doesn't. You and a couple characters will occasionally refer to Ziost, but what's coming up is the proverbial giant space flea from nowhere.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Cythereal posted:

...what's coming up is the proverbial giant space flea from nowhere.

So, business as usual then?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

koolkevz666 posted:

Ah Ziost I rather liked what they did with the story line for the planet. It is a shame that it was just so short and releasing the content in episodes was rather annoying. Still will be interesting to see your take on it.

I think it was also the last time we had Doug Bradley voicing the Emperor. I loved that touch of Pinhead being the Sith Emperor.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Paused posted:

And, assuming Quinnie is indisposed with that box, how different are things here on Republic? I can guess Theron is here rather than Lana, but we still on Ziost?

It's still Ziost. Vitiate actually picks it because it was one of the Empire's core worlds for a significant part of it's existence, and so has symbolic value.

Lana and Theron's roles stay the same no matter who you're playing as. Lana may be more snappish and hostile, but she also knows she needs you for this.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

MightyPretenders posted:

It's still Ziost. Vitiate actually picks it because it was one of the Empire's core worlds for a significant part of it's existence, and so has symbolic value.

Lana and Theron's roles stay the same no matter who you're playing as. Lana may be more snappish and hostile, but she also knows she needs you for this.

Mort refers to her as one of the maybe five competent people in the Empire for good reason.

Competent, pragmatic, focused, ruthless when she needs to be (and almost as importantly, not when she doesn't -- an aspect Sith in particular tend to have trouble with). She really is one of my favorite NPC characters.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kaosdrachen posted:

Competent, pragmatic, focused, ruthless when she needs to be (and almost as importantly, not when she doesn't -- an aspect Sith in particular tend to have trouble with). She really is one of my favorite NPC characters.

And she's also the lone same-sex romance option for women PCs in the entire game (unless you count a couple of things like that scientist girl on Republic Makeb who never go anywhere).

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Ok, neat. Thanks for the explanations.

Yeah Lana seems pretty decent. This was her first lightsaber showing right? I rolled my eyes when I saw the screenshot as I assumed she was going to get an OTT 'also badass in saber fights' scene... but she didn't really. Looked like she got the drop on them, and could press that advantage to eliminate the opponents efficiently. Seems a good fit.

I do wish the people in the various design departments had spoken to each other a little more so her hair doesn't clip through her clothes but can't have everything.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Paused posted:

Ok, neat. Thanks for the explanations.

Yeah Lana seems pretty decent. This was her first lightsaber showing right? I rolled my eyes when I saw the screenshot as I assumed she was going to get an OTT 'also badass in saber fights' scene... but she didn't really. Looked like she got the drop on them, and could press that advantage to eliminate the opponents efficiently. Seems a good fit.

I do wish the people in the various design departments had spoken to each other a little more so her hair doesn't clip through her clothes but can't have everything.

If I am remembering correctly Lana's fighting style does seem to be more about pragmatism than style but then I maybe biased as I did romance her with my female agent and she is my main companion I take whenever I can use her.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I still like Mort's reaction to that second group of ambushers. He's so done with Ziost already that he doesn't even bother to draw his lightsaber.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sith Warrior Shadows of Revan Update 32: Thanks for the help, you idiots.

Click for Video

Each time a pawn’s killed, Vitiate gets a little bit stronger. Not as much as when they kill, but…. That’s what Minister Beniko says, anyway.
So we have to stop them without killing them.
Or we destroy Vitiate. Not that anyone seems to know how to do that….

No it isn’t. Not anymore.

You will never have the power to destroy me. That you believe you could, it offends me.
When this world turns red and you choke on torrents of blood, remember that this was your chance to flee. A chance I… gave….

I don’t have clearance, but if we shut down the anti-aircraft guns it will make an evacuation much easier.

I can confirm it: the defenses are down. Between those weapons and the armory, a lot of their killing power’s out of their hands now.
Should be able to start evacuation efforts as well. The fewer potential targets on Ziost, the better.

You know this person?
Don’t play coy. You know very well it’s Theron Shan, SIS.
Really. If you came here to save your Sixth Line, you’re too late.
Be quiet.

Sure. All we need to do is figure out how to knock out a guy no one can touch.

I do know we have to try something. That’s about it. Way things are out there, I can’t believe I even made it this far.
Soon as I crash-landed, the Emperor’s puppets started coming for my shuttle, just like that. Maybe figured on some easy kills inside.
Did the only thing I could think of. Rigged the ship to overload, fry everything in and around it. Tried to shield myself but still scrambled half my implants.
And that stopped the attack.
They went down, yeah. Some of them got back up, but they seemed out of it. Not possessed--dazed.
Intrusion. Vitiate’s pawns…. I have a thought.

Thank you for teaching the ancient and powerful Sith Lord that we are making inroads to finding his weaknesses.
I--
Shut up and get some rope. I’m going to bring them inside.

Leave. Now. You won’t get a second chance.

So now we know: shock them unconscious and the tie is severed--for a while, at least.
Hit enough of them hard enough and they’ll be out a good, long while.
Yeah, but how do we do that?
So, how ‘bout it Wrath? Can’t you just use the Force to zap ‘em?
No, that wouldn’t work. If it was that easy some idiot apprentice would’ve zapped Vitiate with a little lightning and beaten him long ago. No, I fear it must be from a more ‘natural’ source. Perhaps we could drop him into the fusion reactor of a space station the size of a small moon.

I have some ideas. I need to consult the New Adasta municipal systems.
You going to need a hand with that? Some backup?
No. I’ll be in touch.

“Lana Beniko, Minister of Sith Intelligence.” Who’d have thought it, right? When I met her on Manaan, she was in over her head. Seemed to be.
I know what you mean. She’s not always what you’d call direct.
You don’t have to tell me. My bruises still have bruises thanks to her little deception on Rishi. Still, who am I to talk?
I should never have sent my team here. I made a bad situation worse, and now--

Do you mind?
I’ll stand just out of range of the holocramera.
I suppose that’s the best I can ask for.

Chancellor.
An off-the-books mission to Ziost. A secret team of Jedi that--I don’t even know where to start with you about them--
Everything’s happened so fast. You don’t realize--
No, I do realize. I realize that you declined to inform me of a prime opportunity to cripple the Empire and face the Emperor head-on.
We’re taking advantage of the chaos on Ziost, starting with New Adasta. I expect your cooperation.
Wait. Please, before you send the order--
You don’t seem to understand, Agent Shan. There’s nothing to argue.

Our ships are in orbit. The invasion’s already begun.
So glad you came to help, Theron.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Whelp. :goleft:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Saresh proving that there's no situation so bad she can't make it worse.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Can you step into the holo call and wave? :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Synthbuttrange posted:

Can you step into the holo call and wave? :v:

I wish, but that'd probably just get Theron executed.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 30, 2016

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

I wish, but that'd probably just get Theron executed.

And?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Theron is one of those five competent people, and replacements are a scarce supply.

• Locked thread