Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Had a level 400 bright wizard rage quit on supply and demand because we lost a grim. Oh no, we're only going to get halfway towards completing the contract and another run will seal it.

I better save three minutes so I can start another 20 minute run and gently caress that up too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Had a level 400 bright wizard rage quit on supply and demand because we lost a grim. Oh no, we're only going to get halfway towards completing the contract and another run will seal it.

I hope he was using the bolt staff.

That would make it all so sweeter.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
The worst thing they ever did to the bolt staff was to make it heat-seeking.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

All three of today's quest rewards are solid. If you aren't in the middle of an important quest reward then definitely grab one

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Perfect Bloodlust, good Swift Slaying (Charged), and Perfect Balance on a Two-Handed Axe is really loving fun and good.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

No crashes since the last patch.

Fatshark...fixed game??

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Really hope we get some rebalancing for consoles soon, cause there are so many things right now that are needlessly difficult in a way that just makes certain missions a complete slog to play, especially White Rat, Summoner's Peak, and that farm mission, all three are nearly impossible to beat on Normal right now(most of this comes from Rat Ogres having way too much health, although Gutter Rats and Pack Masters are also a large part of this, as well as the swarm mechanics on White Rat and the farm mission being too aggressive)

Honestly the only reason I'm not playing Easy exclusively here is cause of how terrible the loot is on that difficulty even when you get a bunch of tomes/grimoires and loot dice(White items shouldn't exist in my opinion), although to be honest Normal isn't much better in that regard

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

drrockso20 posted:

Really hope we get some rebalancing for consoles soon, cause there are so many things right now that are needlessly difficult in a way that just makes certain missions a complete slog to play, especially White Rat, Summoner's Peak, and that farm mission, all three are nearly impossible to beat on Normal right now(most of this comes from Rat Ogres having way too much health, although Gutter Rats and Pack Masters are also a large part of this, as well as the swarm mechanics on White Rat and the farm mission being too aggressive)

Honestly the only reason I'm not playing Easy exclusively here is cause of how terrible the loot is on that difficulty even when you get a bunch of tomes/grimoires and loot dice(White items shouldn't exist in my opinion), although to be honest Normal isn't much better in that regard

White Rat sucks really bad on the PS4 because:

1) You're guaranteed to get a Rat Ogre when you start severing the chains, and the environment is really, really bad to fight one of them in.
2) Normally, special rat spawns cease when a Rat Ogre is in play. Not so on White Rat, where I've seen two Packmasters out at once right after the Rat Ogre spawns. So not only is he beating the poo poo out of you on platforms that he can knock you off of and instant incap you, but you're likely to be distracted by him while Packmasters take the rest of your group.

This is all on Normal, to boot.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Avenging Dentist posted:

The worst thing they ever did to the bolt staff was to make it heat-seeking.

I agree. I liked Fire Spear.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Go back down to the barrel area when fighting the ogre on the white rat, or even back to the beginning, there's a hanging platform you can use to drop all the way back down without taking damage.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Have you considered GITTING GUDE

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Use the hagbane and make sure you give the elf a strength potion if there are any to be found before roger. Other people should have special deleters (handguns or bolt staff is best) to shut them down. If your melee weapon sucks at DPS then focus on keeping the area clear first before attacking roger.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If you have it (not sure if the castle is available on PS4) the Repeater Crossbow is amazing at killing Roger, especially with a strength potion.

Strength Potion+Repeater Pistol or Brace of Pistols will also screw him. If you have a fast-loading Repeater Pistol and a strength potion and just unload into his face you can kill him ridiculously quickly.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly the thing that annoys me the most about the Rat Ogre having so much health is that they aren't even fun to fight(same with Gutter Rats and Pack Masters), not to mention it basically leads to bombs only existing to be used on them, and for Speed potions to be pointless, as you'll want a Strength potion on hand to boost your bombs

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Beam Staff and Hagbane are the only reliable ogre killers. Don't waste your time trying to 1-shot it with bombs, get a guaranteed method.

Maybe Saltzpyre's silly repeating pistol that everyone swears by but I've never actually seen anyone put to good use dozens of times in my games because they always get cleaved by Stormvermin or get punted by the ogre.

Shotguns are useless against it. Solid, stacking DPS damage is the way to go. Incendiary Bombs are for rat hordes, Frags are for the ogre and stormvermin patrols (maybe)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly the thing that annoys me the most about the Rat Ogre having so much health is that they aren't even fun to fight(same with Gutter Rats and Pack Masters), not to mention it basically leads to bombs only existing to be used on them, and for Speed potions to be pointless, as you'll want a Strength potion on hand to boost your bombs

I've saved games before by throwing a radius-boosted bomb at my feet on nightmare (in other words with FF on) when I was the last one not downed. They're absolutely good for more than roger. If you haven't fought him in the level yet then yeah I save them, but they also make for fantastic panic buttons. You just can't use them if there's a strength potion active on nightmare/cata, or if someone has a sliver of health left and is right next to where you're going to throw.

On nightmare, a direct hit from a bomb without a strength potion does less damage than getting hit by clan rats 2 times. So if everyone is surrounded and is absolutely going to take multiple hits if not wipe outright, blasting your feet to delete most of a swarm can absolutely be worth it.

Vs. roger, without a strength potion the damage is low enough that it's often not even worth it to use an incendiary on him. But normal bombs are still worthwhile without a strength potion due to the knockdown.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Beam Staff is real good at killing Roger but that's partly because the Beam Staff owns at everything.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lunethex posted:

Beam Staff and Hagbane are the only reliable ogre killers. Don't waste your time trying to 1-shot it with bombs, get a guaranteed method.

Maybe Saltzpyre's silly repeating pistol that everyone swears by but I've never actually seen anyone put to good use dozens of times in my games because they always get cleaved by Stormvermin or get punted by the ogre.

Shotguns are useless against it. Solid, stacking DPS damage is the way to go. Incendiary Bombs are for rat hordes, Frags are for the ogre and stormvermin patrols (maybe)

See that proves my point, that the best way to fight him is reliant on equipment that many people don't have due to how loot works in this game(only one of those I have is the Hagbane and I hate playing the Elf), not to mention it basically requires people to take said equipment if they have it, at least if they don't want to risk getting wiped and thus wasting everyone's time, and that's just plain boring

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

See that proves my point, that the best way to fight him is reliant on equipment that many people don't have due to how loot works in this game(only one of those I have is the Hagbane and I hate playing the Elf), not to mention it basically requires people to take said equipment if they have it, at least if they don't want to risk getting wiped and thus wasting everyone's time, and that's just plain boring

Welcome to me late 2015.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Digirat posted:

I've saved games before by throwing a radius-boosted bomb at my feet on nightmare (in other words with FF on) when I was the last one not downed. They're absolutely good for more than roger. If you haven't fought him in the level yet then yeah I save them, but they also make for fantastic panic buttons. You just can't use them if there's a strength potion active on nightmare/cata, or if someone has a sliver of health left and is right next to where you're going to throw.

On nightmare, a direct hit from a bomb without a strength potion does less damage than getting hit by clan rats 2 times. So if everyone is surrounded and is absolutely going to take multiple hits if not wipe outright, blasting your feet to delete most of a swarm can absolutely be worth it.

Vs. roger, without a strength potion the damage is low enough that it's often not even worth it to use an incendiary on him. But normal bombs are still worthwhile without a strength potion due to the knockdown.

Yeah I have no plans on playing Nightmare, cause this game is already hard enough without the complications that Nightmare adds, at least here on console

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
roger is easy most of the time regardless of gear

certain equipment makes him a joke

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Basically. Like, I use some weapons partly because they'll gently caress up Roger, sure, but I don't take them solely for that nor ever really decide my loadout based on him.

1h Mace with Heroic Killing Blow sometimes gives the most satisfying bonk of all, though. Even if that trait is mostly worthless.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The trick to ogre is learning to kite him. Hold back and jump to slide back and you can dodge all his attacks. If he's looking at you only focus on survival. The side dodge works on gutter runners but that's harder.
Speed potion makes two handers chew up anything including ogre and is still a dps increase on any weapon.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Lunethex posted:

The repeater pistol is really bad. Yeah it does heavy burst damage in a very short inaccurate range, but unless you're using the burst to one-shot something then it's awful. The DPS vs. Roger is actually not very good thanks to the bad reload time, and it requires you to be right up in his face to actually not waste most of the damage. You're much better off bringing a crossbow or brace with Targeteer so you can be good vs. specials for the rest of the mission and then just bodyguard the elf or wizard from small rats while they obliterate Roger themselves.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the charge shot on the repeater is not even worth mentioning; the single fire actually does tear roger a new one though, and can be done from a decent bit outside melee range without wasting damage.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Uhhh the repeater pistol's reload is the fastest in the game out of everything with a magazine, and virtually instant with master crafted.

That weapon has problems but downtime is not one of them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Coolguye posted:

the charge shot on the repeater is not even worth mentioning; the single fire actually does tear roger a new one though, and can be done from a decent bit outside melee range without wasting damage.

Yeah, this is what I meant about it. Dump that thing like a medieval glock.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I remember a Saltzpyre at level 100 something who was always getting in front of me, getting in the way, and standing inside me trying to play like I do in Drachenfels (one of the primary reasons I started turning off my Friendly Fire when Griffin's executer worked) and when time came to get the three statuettes he opens the door to one of the rooms, shoots a whole clip, doesn't kill any stormvermin, dies, one stormvermin kills someone down below who was carrying a grim. He could have caused a wipe. That pistol did him no good the entire game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The pistol isn't for stormvermin, though you can kill one them pretty easily with the shotgun blast on it since it's AP despite never telling you it's AP because gently caress you. The problem with trying to do so is, of course, there's a wind-up time on that attack and generally if you want to gently caress up a Stormvermin with a ranged weapon you're wanting to do it as fast as possible.

The pistol's job is killing Globadiers, Packmasters, and Roger. If it has Rupture, it will also gently caress up slaves, though I'm not big on bringing a ranged weapon for killing normal slaves/clanrats because that's what my melee weapon is for.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Weapons that can run and gun are really valuable at keeping trash from gumming up the players in the back, because if it's the end of enemy below and you're in the back then gently caress you, nobody is going to stop to help because apparently many level 100+ players somehow never noticed that the rats run faster than you. The repeater handgun with targeteer is one of the best at this because it gets 1 unlisted target penetration. The repeater pistol is however pretty bad at it because its accuracy decays so quickly, and you need 2 shots to kill a clan rat, and it has no built in penetration.

Run and gun weapons aren't critical like special deleters but they keep you moving and reduce the damage you take.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

In all honesty the Repeater Pistol is Saltzpyre's worst gun. It's just fun to use and I've at least found a few useful niches for it.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Someone tell me about dwarf weapons/playstyle.

I was told early on that 1h/shield was a very helpful style that wouldn't earn me a lot of points, but I noticed that when my blue hammer/shield started to lag behind on damage (on nightmare, particularly) I was getting in a lot of trouble for not clearing mobs effectively. Since then I've found an orange great axe with bloodlust that seems more useful. What's viable for a dorf, and what is less so? Right now I'm running Greataxe Crossbow because I like being able to snipe globadiers and stormvermin and whatnot. I also have a trinket that makes me move slightly faster, and a trinket that heals me a little when i heal someone else.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The hammer and shield is trash garbage because the shield bash is much slower than the axe and shield, and the axe and shield is incredibly versatile and good at killing every single target in the game since its fast shield bash can tumble whole corridors of rats and the axe is really good at killing stormvermin and roger. One-handed hammer by itself is great, but hammer and shield is inexplicably bad. I have no idea why the charged attack is so much slower with it.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Oh, weird. Is there a website with a good breakdown of the weapons, so I know what to keep and what to recycle?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A lot of folks will tell you the greataxe is bad. These people are wrong (though I think the greathammer is better overall). It does a lot of damage to one target with the light attack, the sweep can hit up to 4 enemies pretty hard, the drawbacks are kinda poor range and a long wind-up. You'll want to dodge back after striking a lot. Also, you can combo out of the heavy attack with a light attack with no delay at all.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Crossbow is only better than handgun for its moving aim, so try to get a handgun. Dwarf has a ton of viable weapons and a few stinkers.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The crossbow is a great weapon to heal with. Bloodlust, Hail of Doom, Master Crafted, built in piercing, great damage against everything.

This all being said, people have been complaining they nerfed Saltzpyre's brace of pistols that you can't double shot or something. Probably shooting once then RMB+Shooting for rapid fire. Whatever the case, Saltzpyre is in desperate need of some balance overhauls or some new weapons. I am not for the latter because that's more poo poo bloating up the bad loot system, especially if they decide to make it inaccessible from the Altar.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah Victor has the least weapons so he could still use more, but making everything viable should be goal 1.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

but making everything viable should be goal 1.

I tried and fought that battle.

It hasn't gone anywhere for the past year :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah Victor has the least weapons so he could still use more, but making everything viable should be goal 1.

I would like it if his hand axe stopped sucking because drat is it satisfying to hit stuff with, it's just poo poo.

• Locked thread