Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
No, the balance guy on the CA forums said it was a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Is this new DLC going to break my old savegames/mods? I've only got Cataph's magic mod, no regen cap and the no public order bonuses for AI mod installed.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Always assume all mods are broken until updated.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What are belegar's starting units? Just the ghost crew?

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What are belegar's starting units? Just the ghost crew?

Rangers, Dwarf Warriors, Hammerers. So not great, but the ghosts will probably help a lot.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

On that subject, Grombrindal starts with a unit of Irondrakes, a unit of Gyrocopters, and miners w/ blasting charges

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Official Grombrindal mini on the GW website

Generic Slayer Unforged mini on the GW website

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The gently caress? Grombrindal has his own actual mini, what is this poo poo?

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Getting started as Crooked Moon feels tough, when there are no "easy" settlements nearby for you to take. I ended up trading capitals with Karak Norn, and only got mine back after several turns thanks to a Waaagh.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kaza42 posted:

Official Grombrindal mini on the GW website

Generic Slayer Unforged mini on the GW website
The White Dwarf has had a bunch of models and I'm still confused why they went this route this time around. CA clearly based their version off of this one:

(not mine)

I still have this guy laying around somewhere.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Grombrindal and the helm of Plenty o' coke.

That dawi knows how to party.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Holy crap, even on just Hard Skarsnik's campaign is really a rough slog. Surrounded by factions that will declare war on you sooner rather than later, I lost a big fight and was chain sieged by Karak Norn and The Empire turn after turn so I can't even recruit stuff other than 2 heroes to try to get back on my feet.

It all went south when I didn't realize that the Waaagh stack will go after Belegar's stack and got my rear end beat down. Killed Belegar and most of his army but lost my entire stack (still not clear why sometimes you survive in an open field fight when you lose and run and sometimes you just die)

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
With Skarsnik I think you really have to leverage your starting goblin big boss to neuter incoming stacks. I've managed to turn belegar's giant stacks of rangers back a few times by assasinating him and then smashing his leaderless army.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Yeah Crooked Moon's start is pretty rough. I was doing alright by just abandoning the area you start in as soon as I had a full stack. Took Karak Norn's two towns when they kept sacking mine and then set off for the badlands. Tried to rush for Karak Eight Peaks but it didn't work. The Crooked Moon usurpers somehow have top tier troops already at turn 19:

Tried to bait them away by going into ambush nearby but they seem pretty good at protecting it.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Thats probably to stop Karak eight peaks changing hands a dozen times before you even get there. It'd be a kick in the pants to arrive and see grimgor took it at some point and now you have to declare on the greenskins to get it back.

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
I'm on turn 36 of a Belegor VH campaign, and it has been a constant stream of stacks from the north and east. The Border Princes decided to get pissy for no reason and declared war while I was consolidating my starting province, then the crooked moon usurpers showed up with a stack, which was followed by Norn falling to Skarsnik and Crooked Moon making GBS threads on my front steps. Ethereal hero's are not making up the slack!

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Carcer posted:

Thats probably to stop Karak eight peaks changing hands a dozen times before you even get there. It'd be a kick in the pants to arrive and see grimgor took it at some point and now you have to declare on the greenskins to get it back.

Yeah I think it's a good thing, just a warning for anyone else playing Crooked Moon that running for Karak Eight Peaks probably won't work unless you can catch it undefended and they might programmed not to.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 20, 2016

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Man. The nearest GW store is literally like a day's trip away. No way in hell I can get the Grombrindal unlock. :(

Edit: Aw gently caress. He even starts with gyrocopters?! What the hell.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 20, 2016

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I like extra content but did they really have to split up the factions from Dwarves and Greenskins into the generic ones and then Clan Angrund, The Bloody Handz and Crooked Moon? I mean, their rosters, with the exception of the heroes, are the same: if anything it'll psyche out an opponent in multiplayer expecting you to take their special hero(es) but otherwise it's just bloating the faction list. :(

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Olive Branch posted:

I like extra content but did they really have to split up the factions from Dwarves and Greenskins into the generic ones and then Clan Angrund, The Bloody Handz and Crooked Moon? I mean, their rosters, with the exception of the heroes, are the same: if anything it'll psyche out an opponent in multiplayer expecting you to take their special hero(es) but otherwise it's just bloating the faction list. :(

It'll make mirror matches comprehensible, so it's a good change IMO.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

brocretin posted:

It'll make mirror matches comprehensible, so it's a good change IMO.
Yeah, that's true enough, I didn't consider mirror matches. I guess it's just that Shogun 2 at least let you customize your own mon and colors when every match was a mirror match.

E: Now we need Middenland because Boris Toddbringer probably wouldn't chill with Karl Franz.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Wurrzag and Skarsnik are almost completely new factions in terms of building assets, so I had to push a real update to my tier 4 mod. It's already been updated on Steam for those of you who use it.

I don't actually own the DLC so I couldn't test it fully (just startup and Wurrzag), yell at me if you find anything odd.

The outpost mod I was posting about a while ago is shelved indefinitely for now, it's a shitload of work that I have to repeat per faction and I just don't care to anymore. Maybe I'll come back around to it after the first big expansion.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What's the verdict on Nasty Skulkers? A low tier armour piercing unit for Greenskins sounds like the perfect thing for flanking pesky dwarfs.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

The bolt thrower! THE BOLT THROWER!!!

Picked up two at the start of a Ungrim campaign... it is the goobiest piece of no-fun, gently caress you, cheap piece of poo poo unit in the game. Between the two of them, un-upgraded you can stunlock any lord or monster in the game. They literally can't move once they get into range.

It's loving beautiful.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
In campaign I'm liking them because they help me to surround enemy armies, stalk lets them get into flanking positions you wouldn't otherwise be able to get troops.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Arcsquad12 posted:

What's the verdict on Nasty Skulkers? A low tier armour piercing unit for Greenskins sounds like the perfect thing for flanking pesky dwarfs.

They are super fun. Their smoke bomb ability is extremely powerful against mobile enemies, and they get a huge damage and attack boost so long as they are winning combat. On the flip side they have worst armor, defense, and leadership than even regular gobbos, so if they don't hit flanks or rear they get routed almost immediately, and burst into flames if targeted by ranged. So they are an all in kind of unit that either win big or lose huge.

To ask my own question, what's the point of squig hoppers? They are more expensive than herds, require research to unlock, and seem to have overall worst stats. I'm not sure when I would rather take then compared to plain squigs.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 20, 2016

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Arcsquad12 posted:

They're good, ideal flanking units because they get a triggered boost to their abilities if they're winning a fight. So if they're just stabbing the backs of some already-engaged dwarfs they do tons of damage.

I have noticed something potentially concerning - the Drippin' Tips skill that gives all units in a lord's army poison damage seems to overwrite the 'sunder armour' damage type. I haven't examined in closely in-battle but it certainly no longer appears on the stat card next to the weapon damage/missile damage.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Man, the way you unlock Grombrindal is the most Games Workshop thing possible. I'm curious how they worked that deal out with Sega. I wonder if and when they add Dark Elves to the campaign if he'll have cross words for Malekith, considering he's the vengeful incarnation of Snorri Whitebeard. Deep cuts for us lore nerds.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Skulkers and Squigs are gonna dominate the Greenskins vs. Chaos meta in MP I think. What can Chaos bring to answer that much cheap AP?

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Aurubin posted:

Man, the way you unlock Grombrindal is the most Games Workshop thing possible. I'm curious how they worked that deal out with Sega.

GW: "We want some cross promotion including stuff that's exclusive to buying our magazine."
Sega: "Yeah but people will bitch about having to buy a magazine they don't want."
GW: "Ok then they can either buy the magazine or come into our store and get it for free."
Sega: "Cool, let's go do coke off of each other's boners."

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Turns out there's a GW store here in South Carolina only 25ish miles from me. Suck it nerds I'mma enjoy playing my white whale dwarf.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
All games played are recorded!

I'll be updating the scores/records of everyone in between me re-posting this post with the rules and player records. That will make it easy for me to review the thread for all games played since my last update post.

quote:

Goon Fight 3 - Battle of the Underdogs Rules

Basic rules:
- Round robin style, all players will play 4 battles vs every other player on the list. Overall tournament winners will be determined by best overall record. Players with the same record will play tiebreaker matches best of 3.
- Once you play a faction against an opponent you may not pick that faction again in the current set of 4 games agaisnt that same opponent.
- Each player must use at least one of the following factions in the first 3 games - Dwarf, Chaos, Bretonnia, Beastmen.
- Players will lock in their faction choice in the prebattle lobby using the following method: One player will state their faction selection in chat "locking them into that faction" and then the second player picks a faction. First pick rotates each game.

Army Selection Rules:
- no Grim & Grave regiments of renown
- Using the following limits found here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EHpsvqVL-4pfKAF683SChvlqP8cdRM-m1xzafw54tyA/edit?usp=sharing
25% minimum core units
25% max leadership units
25% max special units
25% max rare units
~2% wiggle room allowed so people don't go crazy trying to fit something in exactly
veteran rank costs don't count towards a core/special/rare category

Battle Maps:
1) L'Anguille
2) MP Peak Pass
3) MP Blue Reach River
4) Pillar of Bone

Battle Actions:
- No corner camping defined as having the flanks of your army end on the red line on both sides
- No playing for a draw
- If you have artillery you may hang back as long as it's not camped in a corner.

Tips to Be a Cool Dude:
- save some army set ups before hand, the core/special/rare setup demands a little extra time. Respect your opponents time and limit fiddling around building your army right before battle.

Alternate Win Condition/Prize:
- Player with the most total game wins using any of the following factions Dwarf, Chaos, Bretonnia, Beastmen will be gifted their choice of DLC (excluding the $20 beastmen one). If the winner owns all the DLC you can nominate your favorite opponent to receive it.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Skarsnik campaign:

Take a city lose the previous city. Keep having to heal so I can't get a waaagh going. Get about 1-3 turns between attacks from multiple stacks (How the gently caress is Belegar's faction able to afford all these stacks at +50% upkeep?!)

Win one fight, barely win the next, lose the third but kill the opposing lord only to see the opposing army get a fresh new lord added to it.

I'm both having a blast and getting angry.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

fnordcircle posted:

Skarsnik campaign:

Take a city lose the previous city. Keep having to heal so I can't get a waaagh going. Get about 1-3 turns between attacks from multiple stacks (How the gently caress is Belegar's faction able to afford all these stacks at +50% upkeep?!)

Win one fight, barely win the next, lose the third but kill the opposing lord only to see the opposing army get a fresh new lord added to it.

I'm both having a blast and getting angry.

I have no substance to back this up but I think the AI doesn't get campaign leader bonuses/penalties???

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Skarsnik campaign is tougher than I expected in the beggining, it's hard to defeat the assholes of Karak Norn with your basic troops, luckily gobbos are so cheap you can start a second army right away and bury them with numbers.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The ghosts are utter, complete bullshit agents in the hands of the AI. Even at level 1, against level 10 agents(because Skarsnik bonus agent exp), I can't even try to assassinate them as "odds are too low." So better hope that RNG doesn't have their missions succeed, because there's literally nothing you can do to prevent them from hitting you every single turn, given the AI basically never runs out of money.

What fun.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
There is a GW store fairly close to me, but I don't know if I can overcome the shame of actually walking into such a place.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
It feels like Goblins early on do not have a good time with human factions. So many decent ranged and shielded/amoured units that can shrug off wolf riders/archers and make it rather awkward to use Skulkers beyond one or two units.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

fargom posted:

There is a GW store fairly close to me, but I don't know if I can overcome the shame of actually walking into such a place.

Go during the day on a weekday and there will be almost nobody in there. All the hot nerd on nerd action happens at night and on the weekends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
clicking the wurrzag free dlc transfer button on the steam page opens my warhammer game page where you select your mods but i'm not sure where exactly do i have to click to get the DLC

• Locked thread