Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

DeathSandwich posted:

To be fair, you can easymode significant chunks of Dark Souls II with a mace, pretty much every armored enemy was incredibly susceptible to it and only a handful (covetous demon) were overly strong verses it.

I think I'm to the point in DS 3 where I'm thinking about bringing back CAVEMAN RUN gimmick where he cannot use metal, heavily processed cloth, or complex machinery. Just a large mucley dude with a loincloth, stone shield and greatclub. I'll probably be weak and cave on the rings, but aside from that it's club vs world.
It's very fortunate that one of the best rings in DS2 is the stone ring, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Do the dragon rings, like bellowing dragoncrest, increase magic damage from MLGS?

The Magic Clutch ring does.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Simply Simon posted:

It's very fortunate that one of the best rings in DS2 is the stone ring, eh?

No, this is for DS3, sorry for the confusion.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

No, this is for DS3, sorry for the confusion.
No confusion, it was just meant to be a joke. I really should have gone back and made my statement past tense, my fault entirely.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Just to weigh in on Boss Chat, I think that my favourite from DS3 is Dancer. It ticks all the boxes with it's atmosphere, music, challenge and is really good to try your skill at low level (typically I try to beat her before Road Of Sacrifices). DS1 was Artorias, no doubt although Ornstein & Smough were the most memorable for just how much patience it took a first time player to get through. DS2? Probably Fume Knight. Reflecting on this, both Artorias and Fume Knight were DLC bosses and this gives me a lot of hope to see similar caliber fights in the DLC next week.

Now to build up a new character to around lv 100-120 with a bunch of spare slabs for the new weapons. Considering FROM's past form on Souls DLC, I'm pumped.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Beat the Champ in ~20 seconds last night, Dragonslayer Axe + Gold Pine Resin OP.

Sellsword Twinblades with Old Wolf Curved Greatsword on your back and Pontiff's Left Eye is a surprisingly fun build. If you have a chance to get in a few L1s, suddenly bosses' health just disappears.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

is it weird to anyone else that weapon arts cost FP, when they already had a resource system in place for weapons to draw from (weapon durability)? I noticed this most when I was messing around with MLGS - the charged R2 that shoots a laser only costs durability, but the charged L2 that does a fancy thrust costs FP. why have two different systems that accomplish the same thing?

I get that people hated the hyper-fragile weapons in DS2, but I feel like you could still build the weapon art system around consuming weapon durability as a resource, and not necessarily have to have the weapons otherwise turn into tissue paper. otherwise, what the poo poo is the point of the weapon durability system? in hundreds of hours playing DS3 I've never had a weapon come close to breaking under normal use; the "WEAPON ALMOST BROKE" warning that popped up when I was dicking around with the MLGS was the first time I ever saw it.

in my fantasy DS3, they kept the limited-use casting system from DS2, completely remove FP/Mana, and just have weapons use their own durability to power the weapon arts.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I can see FP for weapon arts so that it's something you can restore inbetween bonfires without needing a special item for it, like DS2 with its spell restoration items.

If you tie the ability to use weapon arts to the presence of repair powder you have to make repair powder a lot more prevalent in order to incentivize using it.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Moonlight Greatsword has both durability draining move and FP draining move. Also FP system owns. Makes being a pure caster actually viable again.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
What are you talking about in the old system you could just stack spells and have 99 soul Spears and not give a gently caress. I personally despise FP.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
well for dark souls 2 i could only go into an invasion with the spells i was carrying, no way to regen them since consumables were unusable. which makes caster invasions kind of pointless unless you can kill the invaded fast. also going to ng++++++++ to get 99 soul spears isnt all that fun. basically 1 and 2s caster systems created more problems than they fixed. demons souls and dark souls 3s mana system is the best.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 20, 2016

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Iretep posted:

well for dark souls 2 i could only go into an invasion with the spells i was carrying, no way to regen them since consumables were unusable. which makes caster invasions kind of pointless unless you can kill the invaded fast. also going to ng++++++++ to get 99 soul spears isnt all the fun.

Also I like the return of Crecent/Simple weapon upgrades. That way if you cast yourself completely dry you can swap over to it and at least be able to cast some.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Weirdly enough, if they had actually tied skills to weapon durability then the durability system that exists in this game would actually be meaningful. As it is now you're never going to see a weapon break other than maybe the MLGS, but if skills used weapon durability instead of FP that would totally be a concern. And if the skills were balanced to all be worthwhile to use then you couldn't just ignore them to save on durability.

FP system, as cool as a callback to Demon's Souls it is, is honestly kind of poo poo. Like for using weapon skills it's fine although I wouldn't call it any better, but it completely sucks for mages because in addition to the other difficulties with mage play (e.g. finding the time to cast spells) you now need to frequently chug Ash Estus rather than just keeping in mind how many uses of a spell you have left.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Honestly if FP regenerated like stamina but much slower it would alleviate a ton of the bullshit.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
ill take chugging some blue juice over not being able to spam spells by the truckload during invasions.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Not only do you have to chug blue juice, but you do it at the cost of your Sunny D, so honestly I think the FP system made casting weaker than before.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Iretep posted:

ill take chugging some blue juice over not being able to spam spells by the truckload during invasions.

is spellcasting really winning you that many invasions? spells are almost universally trivial to dodge, unless the people you're invading are completely new to the game, or you've got some weird lag issues, and in either of those cases you're likely to win no matter how you're built.

spellcasting was arguably more dangerous in DS2 PvP but it was primarily from the persistent buffs that everyone would slap on before combat while invading/dueling. spells that create projectiles are fairly worthless in PvP whether you have mana or a limited-cast system.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
if i want to win ill use the carthus curved sword. if i want to be really annoying ill invade with a sorcerer or a greatbow user.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Are we talking spells in general or just sorcery? Because sorcery is loving trash and I can count the number of times I've died to a sorcerer while invading with single hand. While jacking it.

Pyromancy is really good though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Projectiles get a lot better when there are multiple invaders or summons on your side.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
sorcerers are mainly good for one shot gimmicks and against gank squads. just use an obsecuring ring and then wait for another invader to get the hosts health a bit lower so you can one shot him just before he estuses. but yeah in pvp pyromance is great.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

is spellcasting really winning you that many invasions? spells are almost universally trivial to dodge, unless the people you're invading are completely new to the game, or you've got some weird lag issues, and in either of those cases you're likely to win no matter how you're built.

spellcasting was arguably more dangerous in DS2 PvP but it was primarily from the persistent buffs that everyone would slap on before combat while invading/dueling. spells that create projectiles are fairly worthless in PvP whether you have mana or a limited-cast system.

to make offencive spells even slightly useful in pvp youll have to have a large pool of them. 1 and 2s magic system meant the opponent knows he can just dodge the spells forever because youll have a very limited ammount of them. with blue estus youll usually have so much casts of whatever you need that most opponents wont bother to wait it out.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Iretep posted:

to make offencive spells even slightly useful in pvp youll have to have a large pool of them. 1 and 2s magic system meant the opponent knows he can just dodge the spells forever because youll have a very limited ammount of them. with blue estus youll usually have so much casts of whatever you need that most opponents wont bother to wait it out.

:shrug: i guess that makes sense if you imagine that the target of your spells is just dodging endlessly and not actually making any attempt to engage you. if someone is decent at dodging spells (not uncommon) and also set on keeping pressure on your face, I don't think having 10 casts or 20 casts or 100 casts will matter. either he'll kill you or you'll kill him way before you cap out.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
It matters since i can switch around what spells i use depending on the situation. If they put pressure on me i use spells tha favor that, if they play keep away i use spells that favor that. With 1 and 2s system id need to usually go to ng+++ to get enough copies of these spells if the game even has them. In 3 i just need one copy and i can use whatever spell i need according to situation with no risk of running out for a long time.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The only time casters ever gave me any trouble in DS2 is when they'd spam Homing Crystal Soulmass or Affinity bullshit and my timing got screwed up by lag.

Homing Soul Arrows were very useful for catching people trying to roll through spells, though.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Freaking Crumbum posted:

Hexes were actually pretty rad in DS2. It was stupid for them to split hexes up in DS3.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
And pyromancy in 3 can be really good if you know what you're doing. CBV comes out fast, is very wide, and does a lot of damage even if you just wing the other guy. Black Serpent is great for pressuring and forcing your opponent to roll. Depending on which way they roll, they'll usually either get hit by the spell or your followup with a roll-catching weapon or Black Flame. Black Flame does a lot of damage and its hitbox is bigger than it looks. Fire Surge is great for chip damage.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

I was planning on doing that for a second playthrough! I have heard that there's awesome poo poo to be had, but now that I now how early you can get to the area, I know what I'll do first thing next time. For now, my trusty Hunter Axe is good enough. Actually it's really loving good. It even has an interesting and useful L2 which doesn't cost an extra resource. Hmmm

Granted it's just a swing but that's really good for a weapon of its size so I'm not complaining? It even comboes!

yea you don't even have to fight a boss to get a bunch of cool weapons in the old hunters so once you've explored the area it becomes real easy to run past stuff and pick up cool weapons to run through the main game with. the weapons the hunter enemies have are all things you can pick up for yourself, so if a moveset they kill you with seems cool then you have something to look forward to

hunter's axe is stupid good and trivializes a lot of things that beginners have problems with (like big group encounters) thanks to the hilarious spin2win charge attack. actually all of the weapons in bloodborne are good and have big, varied movesets so they're all fun to use and can take you through the whole game

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

...! posted:

Hexes were actually pretty rad in DS2. It was stupid for them to split hexes up in DS3.

this is extremely true. it felt like people just spammed the one hex that did like a shotgun blast all the time though. I remember dark orb being amazing for PvE because it came out fast and dealt way more damage than the equivalent basic spells from the other disciplines.

edit: also bring back progressively looking more like a zombie as you died. that was way more rad than any other death-effect in the series.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Freaking Crumbum posted:

is it weird to anyone else that weapon arts cost FP, when they already had a resource system in place for weapons to draw from (weapon durability)? I noticed this most when I was messing around with MLGS - the charged R2 that shoots a laser only costs durability, but the charged L2 that does a fancy thrust costs FP. why have two different systems that accomplish the same thing?

FP is so people that don't want to use spells have a limited resource they can do cool stuff with, and since they also have spells in the game, why not make them both use the same resource and the give the player the option to choose how much health vs mana replenishment they want. It's a fantastic system. The only problem with it is that the FP stat is attunement, which is obviously less than great for non-casters.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

DatonKallandor posted:

FP is so people that don't want to use spells have a limited resource they can do cool stuff with, and since they also have spells in the game, why not make them both use the same resource and the give the player the option to choose how much health vs mana replenishment they want. It's a fantastic system. The only problem with it is that the FP stat is attunement, which is obviously less than great for non-casters.

so then why do weapons have durability? the weapon durability values are so high that they might as well be unbreakable, because it's never going to happen in normal play (not that this is bad; nobody wants DS2 style weapon durability again).

they could have improved the relationship between martial and caster characters both using FP by having both Attunement and Endurance give FP growth. casters can still pump attunement for their slots and get FP, and martial characters can pump endurance and get more stamina and get FP.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Freaking Crumbum posted:

so then why do weapons have durability? the weapon durability values are so high that they might as well be unbreakable, because it's never going to happen in normal play (not that this is bad; nobody wants DS2 style weapon durability again).

Weapons have durability because they've always have - it goes back to Kings Field, it's the From Software staple. They have extremely high values because they've had more than half a dozen games to learn that durability sucks so they might as well minimize it's impact without having a vocal minority complain that they cut it.

Endurance could have been a good place for another FP stat, but then you have casters double dipping because they still need stamina to cast (which maybe wouldn't even have been a bad thing, leading to casters having naturally more FP).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Pretty sure Shadow Tower was the first From ARPG to have durability. KF4 had it but I don't remember it from the PS1 King's Fields.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I remember I was rolling a pure sorcerer in DS1, got invaded at the bottom of Blighttown, so I only had soul arrow/heavy soul arrow and the like. The red guy just stood there taunting me and rolling through every spell I cast, then just walked up and killed me. Wasn't very fun.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

"Famitsu Screenshot Translations posted:

“Please, cover your eyes” – The Nun of Ariandel in “Friede” form. She who lives in a small church at a spiritual cliff, looks after a Father who looks like a ball.

I think I figured out what the new thread title is going to be.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea you don't even have to fight a boss to get a bunch of cool weapons in the old hunters so once you've explored the area it becomes real easy to run past stuff and pick up cool weapons to run through the main game with. the weapons the hunter enemies have are all things you can pick up for yourself, so if a moveset they kill you with seems cool then you have something to look forward to

hunter's axe is stupid good and trivializes a lot of things that beginners have problems with (like big group encounters) thanks to the hilarious spin2win charge attack. actually all of the weapons in bloodborne are good and have big, varied movesets so they're all fun to use and can take you through the whole game
Oh yes the R2 is so very very sweet...

https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/789214877520912388

(I got it through reloading)

I think I will take any more discussion/questions to the Bloodborne thread. Thanks for your opinions for now!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Can't wait for Bloodborne PC version.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Friendly Humour posted:

Can't wait for Bloodborne PC version.

So is there, like, a point to this, or...?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
DLC is really short apparently: http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2016/10/20/review-dark-souls-iii-ashes-of-ariandel/231648/

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Sounds like it's approximately "Crown of the X King" length from what I've heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
That's about what I expected.