Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Open Marriage Night posted:

Wasn't he used a time or two within the last five years or so? I was really surprised how happy I was to see Punch and Jewelee. They're right up there with the Atomic Family as obscure characters I'd love to see used in a modern context.
In one of the early issues of Karl Kesel's Harley Quinn, Jewelee is one of the gals invited to Harley's party, and he writes her quite well.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Punch and Jewlee are also seen as members of the original (well, in as much as the super villain incarnation) of the Suicide Squad.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

purple death ray posted:

Selina being on Death Row is a mystery that presumably will be revealed in the course of the story. It was one heck of a way to end an issue though.

Oh okay, it wasn't a reference to the N52 Catwoman series. Good to know, thanks.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Unless she's somehow taking the fall for all of the activity while she was a mob boss, but even then the number is high.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think the new arcs for Batman and Nightwing are starting off way better than the first arcs did.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

No, the problem with Bane is that far too few writers actually bother to use him at his full potential and instead are satisfied to continue retreading the same plot beats (Venom Addiction, obsession with Batman, breaking spines) again and again and again

Vengeance of Bane II and particularly Scott Beatty's work with Bane (and to lesser degree Simone's Secret Six) prove Bane has potential to stand on his own, as long he isn't reduced to a mere thug.

And while certainly is too soon to judge, King's previous work in Batman and the current direction he's taking with the "I am Bane" storyline, doesn't make me think he will be able to make the character justice.

Eh. Bane is no different than a dime a dozen characters where their gimmick is "super talented at a ton of things crime lord!" He is, for good or ill, defined by his venom addiction and the time he broke Batman's back and he'll never escape from that barring some writer doing a complete redefining of the character in a way that is not only well written but memorable enough to take Bane away from being Drug Luchadore Man.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

purple death ray posted:

So let's talk about rogues for a bit. Rebirth has been really killer for bringing back some old and lesser-seen rogues. I had to loving google Punch and Jewlee after reading Batman #9 today. But this is all building to what looks to be a great story featuring one of my absolute favorite antagonists, Bane. Not that Bane is a lesser-seen rogue but gently caress it, he rules. Also can I just say how much the new Batman suit is growing on me?

On this page alone we're namedropping the Tweedles, Kite Man, Condiment King, and Kite Man. In All Star, Snyder has either featured or namedropped everyone from Egghead to KGBeast. Tom King already brought back Colonel Blimp and Captain Stingaree and the first TWO ARCS of the new Batman book look to heavily revolve around loving Psycho Pirate. At this point a gripping saga revolving around Crazy Quilt is all but guaranteed.

When will the forgotten villain craze reach the Breyfogle era and bring back Cornelius Stirk? Hopefully never.

Orca is due for a breakout any time now.

As for Bane, he is definitely a good character when written by a good writer. I actually liked King's intro of him and am curious to see where it goes.
Also loving the fact that Batman is arranging his own Suicide Squad using original members (Punch and Julie) as well as some serious what the gently caress characters like Ventriloquist. Also what was the deal with Jane Doe putting the Legion sign on her cell? Is that something hinting towards a bigger picture thing?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Madkal posted:

buddy do I got good news for you

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Madkal posted:

As for Bane, he is definitely a good character when written by a good writer. I actually liked King's intro of him and am curious to see where it goes.
Also loving the fact that Batman is arranging his own Suicide Squad using original members (Punch and Julie) as well as some serious what the gently caress characters like Ventriloquist. Also what was the deal with Jane Doe putting the Legion sign on her cell? Is that something hinting towards a bigger picture thing?

There was a thing in the Rebirth (as in the big relaunch, not just Batman) one-shot suggesting that Legion and JSA members in the present-day DCU are considered mentally ill because of whatever Manhattan did.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Blockhouse posted:

buddy do I got good news for you

Damnit DC, don't take my ideas seriously. They aren't very good ideas.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. Bane is no different than a dime a dozen characters where their gimmick is "super talented at a ton of things crime lord!" He is, for good or ill, defined by his venom addiction and the time he broke Batman's back and he'll never escape from that barring some writer doing a complete redefining of the character in a way that is not only well written but memorable enough to take Bane away from being Drug Luchadore Man.

They did an amazing job reimagining him in The Dark Knight Rises.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

See, this is the kind of narrow minded and near sighted mentality that hinders the potential of every character. That Bane is known by some things doesn't mean that is all what he is.

And again, Beatty did in fact re imagined the character during the Tabula Rasa and Veritas Liberat story lines.

Anarky is other character that is pigeon holed into the same roles again and again simply because mediocre writers can't be arsed to take advantage of his whole character. Or as Roderick T. Long so eloquently described

quote:

Thesis: Anarky is too interesting a character not to write about.

Antithesis: Anarky is too interesting a character for me to write successfully about.

Dialectical synthesis: Therefore I will make Anarky less interesting so I can write about him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can't believe I agree with DT about Bane.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Detective No. 27 posted:

They did an amazing job reimagining him in The Dark Knight Rises.

I completely disagree. DKR Bane is, in the end, just a toady with no real ideas or motivations of his own, just like every other bad take on Bane. Now he's just white and inexplicably faux irish.

Lurdiak posted:

I can't believe I agree with DT about Bane.

Everything he's saying on this subject is pretty much dead on! It's spooky!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

King's big Bane development is giving him a Ken doll crotch.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

King's Bane has been in one scene and he's managed to be both incredibly sympathetic and vulnerable and completely terrifying at the same time. I feel bad for yall if you're not on board at this point.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

purple death ray posted:

King's Bane has been in one scene and he's managed to be both incredibly sympathetic and vulnerable and completely terrifying at the same time. I feel bad for yall if you're not on board at this point.

That is the problem. King is simply retreading again the characterization Bane had during Knightfall instead of moving forward with him. Plus, there are elements on his take that are at odds with Bane's character: the fact he need the Psycho Pirate's help when one of the core elements of Bane is that he survived Santa Prisca and became Batman's equal out of sheer willpower. And the fact Bane is ruling Santa Prisca. Bane most ardent wish was to leave Santa Prisca so it makes no sense he's ruling it now.

Honestly, I found more engaging the way Snyder used Bane in two pages back on Talon than King's.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

See, this is the kind of narrow minded and near sighted mentality that hinders the potential of every character. That Bane is known by some things doesn't mean that is all what he is.

Sure it does. We're talking about a comic character here. They are not allowed to change, grow or evolve and will forever retreat back to the stories they are well known for unless someone does enough to completely and utterly redefine them. (And probably not even then. Barbara Gordon is Batgirl again after all despite Oracle being one of the most through reinventions of a character ever.)

Bane was introduced as the drug guy who broke Batman's back and the fact that is iconic and distinctive works against him because "the drug guy who broke Batman" is more distinctive than anything else about Bane. That doesn't mean the other elements can't be well-written but at the end of the day Bane is going to be who he is.

TDKR is probably the closest to a 'reinvention' and even then he still followed the same basic idea.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Bane hasn't been written as a consistent character since pre-52 Secret Six and seeing how a lot of characters had their traits changed in the Nu-52 that's fine, and I don't know why someone would be so quick to write off King's Bane based on one page of dialog but then I see who is doing the writing off.
DT usually comes across as someone who goes "not my [character]" on most characters not named Jason Todd.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Sure it does. We're talking about a comic character here. They are not allowed to change, grow or evolve and will forever retreat back to the stories they are well known for unless someone does enough to completely and utterly redefine them. (And probably not even then. Barbara Gordon is Batgirl again after all despite Oracle being one of the most through reinventions of a character ever.)

Bane was introduced as the drug guy who broke Batman's back and the fact that is iconic and distinctive works against him because "the drug guy who broke Batman" is more distinctive than anything else about Bane. That doesn't mean the other elements can't be well-written but at the end of the day Bane is going to be who he is.

TDKR is probably the closest to a 'reinvention' and even then he still followed the same basic idea.

So? That isn't an excuse for writers to half rear end their way around the character. Hell, just look at Lobdell and RHATO Rebirth. Despite the whole setting being heavily inspired by UTRH it didn't ignored all the work put on Jason's character for the last five years (at the contrary, it used it as foundation to further develop Jason's character) and it gave its own original spin to the concept.

Same with Barbara and Batgirl.

So the only reason Bane is stuck as a junkie obsessed with Batman is due lovely writers that rather perpetuate the idea than putting an actual effort on it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So the only reason Bane is stuck as a junkie obsessed with Batman is due lovely writers that rather perpetuate the idea than putting an actual effort on it.

He's stuck that way because writers can't come up with anything better for him to do that isn't already a niche filled by other villains anyway. It's a problem a lot of villains have. Villains (especially the villains who focus around a single hero) tend to be remarkably similar because they are reflections or counterparts to the hero. Batman has dozens of smart skilled abnormally talented scary crime bosses who are largely defined by their specific gimmick.

And that isn't being a lovely writer necessarily. It's figuring out what character best fits the role you want for the story. If you want a strong physical threat Bane is pretty high up there but that also usually involves Venom for obvious reasons. He's also kind of like Doomsday in that "I beat Batman once!!" is a source of cheap heat despite the fact that Batman has beaten him dozens of time and any real threat from him has vanished. You can argue "they should evolve Bane from beyond that" but there's not a lot of reason to. If you do you get... a cunning strategist crime boss, of which Batman has a dozen other choices at any given time.

That doesn't mean you can't write fun Bane stories that go outside of that but at the end of the day Bane is going back in his toybox because the Venom-pumping Batman-breaking junkie is a more useful writing tool for someone who doesn't care about matching to continuity of other Batman writers. (i.e: literally every Batman writer.)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

He's stuck that way because writers can't come up with anything better for him to do that isn't already a niche filled by other villains anyway. It's a problem a lot of villains have. Villains (especially the villains who focus around a single hero) tend to be remarkably similar because they are reflections or counterparts to the hero. Batman has dozens of smart skilled abnormally talented scary crime bosses who are largely defined by their specific gimmick.

And that isn't being a lovely writer necessarily. It's figuring out what character best fits the role you want for the story. If you want a strong physical threat Bane is pretty high up there but that also usually involves Venom for obvious reasons. He's also kind of like Doomsday in that "I beat Batman once!!" is a source of cheap heat despite the fact that Batman has beaten him dozens of time and any real threat from him has vanished. You can argue "they should evolve Bane from beyond that" but there's not a lot of reason to. If you do you get... a cunning strategist crime boss, of which Batman has a dozen other choices at any given time.

That doesn't mean you can't write fun Bane stories that go outside of that but at the end of the day Bane is going back in his toybox because the Venom-pumping Batman-breaking junkie is a more useful writing tool for someone who doesn't care about matching to continuity of other Batman writers. (i.e: literally every Batman writer.)

I disagree. Bane is so much more than a mere "smart skilled abnormally talented scary crime bosses who are largely defined by their specific gimmick".

Hell, Bane wasn't even interested on running Gotham's crime after Knightfall.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If you ask me Bane has the potential to be DC's Dr. Doom. I don't think many writers see that potential. But in the same way that Dr Doom will always be defined by "RICHAAAAARDS" Bane will always be defined by that time he broke Batman's spine. Trying to argue against that is futile. And you can write great stories even with that Bane, who is kind of obsessed with Batman. I would rather keep it that way, just like a Doom who isn't obsessed with Reed Richards would probably feel kind of wrong. But I don't really read Marvel so probably that's already happened, anyway.

The other thing to remember is, no matter what Wally West and Geoff Johns tell you, there was a reboot in 2011 and most of those Bane stories never happened. So maybe Kings arc ends with Bane kicking the need for Psycho Pirate's influence and leaving Santa Prisca. Maybe that development Dark_Tzitzimine is bemoaning the loss of is still forthcoming. Stephanie and Cassandra lost everything about their characters in the reboot, so who's to say Bane isn't in a similar boat?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

purple death ray posted:

If you ask me Bane has the potential to be DC's Dr. Doom. I don't think many writers see that potential. But in the same way that Dr Doom will always be defined by "RICHAAAAARDS" Bane will always be defined by that time he broke Batman's spine. Trying to argue against that is futile. And you can write great stories even with that Bane, who is kind of obsessed with Batman. I would rather keep it that way, just like a Doom who isn't obsessed with Reed Richards would probably feel kind of wrong. But I don't really read Marvel so probably that's already happened, anyway.

The other thing to remember is, no matter what Wally West and Geoff Johns tell you, there was a reboot in 2011 and most of those Bane stories never happened. So maybe Kings arc ends with Bane kicking the need for Psycho Pirate's influence and leaving Santa Prisca. Maybe that development Dark_Tzitzimine is bemoaning the loss of is still forthcoming. Stephanie and Cassandra lost everything about their characters in the reboot, so who's to say Bane isn't in a similar boat?

You're right, it could come but what I've seen of Bane since the N52 until now doesn't fill me with confidence about that possibility coming. And honestly, the thing I'd rather want is for Bane to ditch the Venom entirely how he did it before. But again, the odds of that happening are minuscule.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Bane should get a series where he just goes on El Santo-like adventures.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I need this.
http://www.newsarama.com/31677-get-old-school-with-batman-66-pinball-machine.html

Can't think of any better use of $10,000.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 22, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/789472814373801984

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Speedball posted:

The leader of the Children of Arkham might be Scarecrow, but I think it might be a more obscure Batman rogue: The Key! Escape artist with a thing for mind-altering drugs.

The identity is revealed at the end of Episode 3.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The first episode of Telltale's Batman is free at the moment.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Is that the demo on Steam?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Downloading!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

For just Steam or X-Box One?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

pubic works project posted:

For just Steam or X-Box One?

I played it on Steam. It's pretty good, probably the first Telltale game I've been really interested in playing the rest of since season 1 of Walking Dead.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Roth posted:

I played it on Steam. It's pretty good, probably the first Telltale game I've been really interested in playing the rest of since season 1 of Walking Dead.

I'll look on X-Box Live when I get home and see if it's free for Episode 1.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Turning Luke Fox into a self-involved playboy shithead is maybe the single best interpretation of the character I've ever seen over "generic nice guy" or "world's most boring dude ever who Barbara Gordon falls for for no adequately explained reason that Fletcher then character assassinates Dick Grayson to strengthen their Totes For Reals Relationship".

Seriously we see so many Batman sidekicks try to be some aspect of Batman, but nobody trying to be an aspect of Bruce Wayne. Especially the persona of Bruce Wayne that he presents to the world over the actual character. But yeah, Tynion's Luke Fox is maybe the only time I've ever been interested in the character.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
The Victim Syndicate reminds me of the world's greatest ever team of villains:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Can't really tell what is going on in the flashback to that first guy. LOL on the second guy, tho.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

monkeu posted:

The Victim Syndicate reminds me of the world's greatest ever team of villains:

that arc was so loving weird

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Unlucky7 posted:

Can't really tell what is going on in the flashback to that first guy. LOL on the second guy, tho.

This was actually an incident that happens in I think issue #1 of B&R where they chase a car full of bank robbers or something and they end up driving into some kind of nuclear waste that mutates them all into one monster, 80s sci fi movie style.

Batman & Robin is so loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

purple death ray posted:

This was actually an incident that happens in I think issue #1 of B&R where they chase a car full of bank robbers or something and they end up driving into some kind of nuclear waste that mutates them all into one monster, 80s sci fi movie style.

Batman & Robin is so loving good.

Damian purposely made them blow up didn't he?!

• Locked thread