Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Stupid double-posting mobile app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Wiggles, I don't feel enough was made of your amazing wine-making venture. I for one would love to try a bottle of Chateau Wiggles finest Nevada Riesling.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

therattle posted:

Wiggles, I don't feel enough was made of your amazing wine-making venture. I for one would love to try a bottle of Chateau Wiggles finest Nevada Riesling.

:unsmith:

We can probably work something out. We're expanding the vineyard, and I have a meeting for sometime next month with the Pahrump Valley guy to go over some help in expanding our operation. It's very exciting!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

We can probably work something out. We're expanding the vineyard, and I have a meeting for sometime next month with the Pahrump Valley guy to go over some help in expanding our operation. It's very exciting!

I'm not really expecting to get any; just that if I had the opportunity I'd gladly try it. Starting winemaking on that scale and ambition is really impressive and I was surprised nobody really commented.

I must admit that Nevada Riesling did make me think of this though
https://vimeo.com/42599803

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mindphlux posted:

that sounds pretty irrational unless you're about to die from an electrolyte imbalance or something, short term binges rarely work as well as a more sustainable long term solution as far as I've read - but best of luck!

Oh this isn't a long term solution. I weigh 155 pounds normally and I'm just working to make the 145 pound weight class. Cutting the salt for a week or so makes me piss out half of it, and then it's easy to sweat out the other half before I get on the scale, with the side effect of a narrowly-defined diet keeping me eating clean in the interim. I've done it before, but for some reason this time I can't stop thinking about greasy cured meats slathered in spicy hot sauce and parmesan cheese.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yeah people haven't commented much but I'm really happy to see you trying to make decent wine in Nevada. Don't listen too much to the Pahrump guy, their wines are fine but I feel like this state is capable of better - especially up north where you won't be quite as scorched in the summer and have a semblance of seasons for the plants to work with. I'd say head over the border to Renaissance or one of the other wineries in the Sierras. The soil profile is different, but the climate and altitude are similar enough you could gain a lot more from them.

When you go into distro and want a boutique shop in southern NV to carry your stuff, let me know and I'll special-order some from my guy.

Hawkgirl posted:

Peachy Canyon has a lot of sweet wines and just isn't very serious, but I found it really cute (I also like my sweet wines).

Driving from Calcareous to Opolo will take me along Peachy Canyon Road, if I remember right. I'll probably stop at one or two places to see how things are. I'm a fan of the occasional dessert wine so I'm sure something will be worth trying.

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 20, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Is deep frying the best way to prepare chicken? I feel like my mind is blanking on something obvious here.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

bartolimu posted:

Yeah people haven't commented much but I'm really happy to see you trying to make decent wine in Nevada. Don't listen too much to the Pahrump guy, their wines are fine but I feel like this state is capable of better - especially up north where you won't be quite as scorched in the summer and have a semblance of seasons for the plants to work with. I'd say head over the border to Renaissance or one of the other wineries in the Sierras. The soil profile is different, but the climate and altitude are similar enough you could gain a lot more from them.

When you go into distro and want a boutique shop in southern NV to carry your stuff, let me know and I'll special-order some from my guy.

Thanks, Bart! I'll give the Renaissance guys a call.

MiddleOne posted:

Is deep frying the best way to prepare chicken? I feel like my mind is blanking on something obvious here.

The best chicken is whole roasted.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

gently caress, I am idiot. Thank you.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

MiddleOne posted:

It's not even the best frying method.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I might be mis-using the language, english not my native tongue and cooking is one of those few fields where we only borrow some words from english. :sweden:

Do elaborate though.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I think it's kind of a weird question. Wouldn't it be more like "What's your favorite kind of chicken?" Deep frying is rad and better in my opinion than pan frying. Roasted chicken is awesome in it's simplicity. Grilled chicken has it's own merits. What are you looking for and maybe we could help better?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The method that most reliably produces a good result. Like I could throw chicken breasts or leg (cut into anything really) into some milk, flour, tarragon, salt and pepper (+ whatever spices feel appropriate) and that chicken would come out of the oil both perfectly cooked and delicious almost every time. I could create something equally delicious in a pan or oven but not necessarily reliably. Putting reliability into it might seem weird but I was more thinking if you're looking to impress or cook a large amount without compromising on quality. Don't really have the talent to scale indefinitely without there coming problems.

Roast is definitely up there too.

I know that it's a weird question, sorry for being difficult. :v:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
It's all good. A deep fryer would help with the consistency issue of being great every time. You'd just need to work out how you like your breading and getting it just right can take years of adjusting. As far as always being great 100% of the time? Thomas Keller's roasted chicken never fails.

THOMAS KELLER'S ROASTED CHICKEN
YIELD: Makes 4-5 servings
INGREDIENTS:
1 whole (5- to 6-pound) chicken
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon thyme leaves, optional

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Arrange oven rack on bottom third.

Rinse chicken then dry very well with paper towels. The less water, the less steam. The less steam, the drier the heat and crisper the chicken!

Place chicken in a large roasting pan (with or without a wire rack underneath). Truss the bird, tying the legs together and close to the body of the chicken. (This helps the chicken cook evenly and results in a more beautiful roasted bird.)

Sprinkle all over with kosher salt (about 1 Tablespoon). Season to taste with pepper.

Roast for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, depending on size*. Do not baste or add butter or oil. (Keller’s theory is that this creates steam, which inhibits the crispness and tenderness of the chicken). If chicken is browning too quickly, cover loosely with aluminum foil.

To measure temperature, place a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh without touching the bone. It should reach 165 degrees F.

Remove chicken from oven and baste with pan juices. Sprinkle with fresh thyme, if desired. Let rest for at least 10 minutes before carving.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Croatoan posted:

It's all good. A deep fryer would help with the consistency issue of being great every time. You'd just need to work out how you like your breading and getting it just right can take years of adjusting. As far as always being great 100% of the time? Thomas Keller's roasted chicken never fails.

THOMAS KELLER'S ROASTED CHICKEN
YIELD: Makes 4-5 servings
INGREDIENTS:
1 whole (5- to 6-pound) chicken
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon thyme leaves, optional

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Arrange oven rack on bottom third.

Rinse chicken then dry very well with paper towels. The less water, the less steam. The less steam, the drier the heat and crisper the chicken!

Place chicken in a large roasting pan (with or without a wire rack underneath). Truss the bird, tying the legs together and close to the body of the chicken. (This helps the chicken cook evenly and results in a more beautiful roasted bird.)

Sprinkle all over with kosher salt (about 1 Tablespoon). Season to taste with pepper.

Roast for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, depending on size*. Do not baste or add butter or oil. (Keller’s theory is that this creates steam, which inhibits the crispness and tenderness of the chicken). If chicken is browning too quickly, cover loosely with aluminum foil.

To measure temperature, place a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh without touching the bone. It should reach 165 degrees F.

Remove chicken from oven and baste with pan juices. Sprinkle with fresh thyme, if desired. Let rest for at least 10 minutes before carving.

Sounds great apart from the rinsing, which sprays delightful raw chicken juice all over one's kitchen.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

therattle posted:

Sounds great apart from the rinsing, which sprays delightful raw chicken juice all over one's kitchen.

Rinse more carefully? I don't even know what to say here. Are you one of those people in the comical infomercials?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hauki posted:

Rinse more carefully? I don't even know what to say here. Are you one of those people in the comical infomercials?

I smell a business opportunity here.

Thanks Croatoan

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I definitely remember reading something about rinsing chickens being a contaminator somewhere

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

MiddleOne posted:

The method that most reliably produces a good result. Like I could throw chicken breasts or leg (cut into anything really) into some milk, flour, tarragon, salt and pepper (+ whatever spices feel appropriate) and that chicken would come out of the oil both perfectly cooked and delicious almost every time. I could create something equally delicious in a pan or oven but not necessarily reliably. Putting reliability into it might seem weird but I was more thinking if you're looking to impress or cook a large amount without compromising on quality. Don't really have the talent to scale indefinitely without there coming problems.

Easiest method is baking/roasting it whole or pan-frying with just a little bit of oil and spices.

Every time I've shallow-fried (just an inch or so of oil or lard) the chicken cooks unevenly. Outside burns while the inside is raw. I prefer deep frying because it's easier with our crappy electric stove to track the temperature. The easiness of the fried chicken depends on how much space you have and how much you prepare. For instance you want to have everything set up beforehand instead of doing one thing at a time, or realizing a utensil you need is in a big pile of dirty dishes. You want to make sure cats/dogs/children aren't going to run around the screaming hot death pot of oil.

There's a million variations to frying chicken. Some people do double fries or they use eggs and so on. I'm not confident with the recipe I use so you should look into the spices involved and judge for yourself, but my amateurish fried chicken method goes like this:

Equipment:
-Large cast iron pot
-Spider strainer (or tongs or similar utensil to slowly pick up and set down the chicken from the deadly oil)
-Baking dish (for dredging)
-Large bowl (for marinating)
-Baking sheet pan with cooling rack (used to rest the chicken on after dredging and after frying, two would be best but if you only have one then wash it while the chicken is frying)
-Thermometer (for both oil and chicken, I use an Infrared Thermometer for oil since it's the easiest and fastest and most reliable and an Instant-Read Thermometer for the chicken which should be around 165F/73C after it's done cooking, but you can use what you have on hand as long as they're accurate and work for you)

Method
-Season chicken with spices
-Marinade in buttermilk or brine for a day
-Dredge chicken in seasoned flour (shake off excess flour) and let it sit for 15 minutes (use one hand to pick up the chicken when wet and the other hand to cover it in flour and pick up the chicken when coated, this should prevent too much batter from sticking to your fingers, or use forks or tongs)
-Heat oil in large cast iron pot (a neutral oil with a high smoke point like vegetable or peanut oil) to 350F / 175C, the temperature will drop, do not worry this is normal do not adjust the temperature
-Do not put too much oil or chicken in the pot, fry in batches if you have to, as soon as the frying starts the chicken will displace a lot of the oil and it will bubble fiercely. Oil fires are not fun, I've had a few.
-Gently and slowly place chicken in oil, and fry for 10 minutes
-Use your spider strainer (or whatever) to make sure the chicken isn't sticking together and to rotate the chicken floating near the top back to the bottom so it fries evenly
-Fry 10-15 more minutes
-Take the chicken's temperature, if it's between 160F / 71C or above I remove all the chicken and let it rest for 10 minutes before starting in
-If you have to fry in batches, let the oil come back to 350F / 175C before frying more

I'm an amateur though, and there's tons of people around here with better / more refined methods than me. But for a someone who's done it about 5 times already that's the short of it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hauki posted:

No. Why do you need to rinse it? Am I usually someone who posts bullshit? Anyway, don't listen to me, listen to the CDC:

quote:

Washing raw poultry before cooking it is not recommended. Bacteria in raw poultry juices can be spread to other foods, utensils, and surfaces.
http://www.cdc.gov/features/SalmonellaChicken/

Rinse away and enjoy your salmonella.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I don't see how that is even a possibility unless your water pressure is insanely high. Although I'm spoiled by living in a salmonella-free country.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

MiddleOne posted:

I don't see how that is even a possibility unless your water pressure is insanely high. Although I'm spoiled by living in a salmonella-free country.

Oh, it's not just salmonella. But don't listen to me! Here's the NHS:

quote:

Splashing water from washing chicken under a tap can spread the bacteria on to hands, work surfaces, clothing and cooking equipment.
Water droplets can travel more than 50cm in every direction and only a few campylobacter cells are needed to cause food poisoning.
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/homehygiene/Pages/washing-chicken-can-cause-campylobacter-food-poisoning.aspx

I'm surprised and puzzled that I'm getting so much uphill on this.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

MiddleOne posted:

It might be different than what you have in mind, but if consistent quality in large quantities is major goal, what about Coq au Vin? It is delicious and can be easily made in as large quantities as you like, well ahead of time, without any quality losses.

Since you are Swedish, this is a nice and reliable classic recipe. The Julia Child version he links to is even better, but more labor intensive.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh that seems fantastic. :swoon:

I'm both surprised and ashamed that you did not link a swedzza. :colbert:

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

MiddleOne posted:

I'm both surprised and ashamed that you did not link a swedzza. :colbert:

I don't know what that is. Is ít this?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DekeThornton posted:

:sweden:

You should go eat at The Flying Elk, I can guarantee that it is something special.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

DekeThornton posted:

This is legitimately awesome, is what it is.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Just looks like a big sandwich to me.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Under New York sales tax legislation, yes.

The best sandwich ever made.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Croatoan posted:

Deep frying is rad and better in my opinion than pan frying.

This is true for many things, but it is woefully wrong with respect to chicken.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Test Pattern posted:

This is true for many things, but it is woefully wrong with respect to chicken.

Why do you think so? Deep frying is not the most delicate of cooking methods but for chicken I find that it is the most reliable of methods to keep the chicken tender and moist. At least without fidelity.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Nutritional yeast.

Seconding this, it's basically like an unsalted funky cheese powder

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

MiddleOne posted:

Why do you think so? Deep frying is not the most delicate of cooking methods but for chicken I find that it is the most reliable of methods to keep the chicken tender and moist. At least without fidelity.

A lot of the deep fried chicken I've had is dried out, but I don't have a deep fryer to say I would make it any better.

I've found that brining chicken then roasting it has been reliable and is pretty easy.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Roasting is seriously way less effort and mess, in addition to being reliable.

MrSlam posted:

Every time I've shallow-fried (just an inch or so of oil or lard) the chicken cooks unevenly. Outside burns while the inside is raw.
Check out ATK's method, shallow-fried then finished in the oven.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Since I dry brine chicken, I wash them off in the sink before cooking to remove excess salt. It's fine if you keep the faucet turned down low so the water pressure isn't high enough to be splashing everywhere. The CDC has to make recommendations for the entire country, and there are people who do not know that they are spreading and perhaps aerosolizing bacteria by sticking a bird under a faucet at full water pressure.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Good fried chicken beats any other chicken and worrying about aerosolized droplets of chicken juice seems insane, as I imagine most people do not wash their hands to anything resembling the proper time and method after handling said chicken.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

glynnenstein posted:

Since I dry brine chicken, I wash them off in the sink before cooking to remove excess salt. It's fine if you keep the faucet turned down low so the water pressure isn't high enough to be splashing everywhere. The CDC has to make recommendations for the entire country, and there are people who do not know that they are spreading and perhaps aerosolizing bacteria by sticking a bird under a faucet at full water pressure.

Pedantic contamination chat aside, how much salt are you putting on your chicken such that there is visible excess to wash off? When I dry brine I just salt it like I would if I were just throwing it in the pan, and then don't throw it in the pan. Maybe I throw in an extra pinch to cover the liquid that'll come out of the meat but that's it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Marta Velasquez posted:

A lot of the deep fried chicken I've had is dried out, but I don't have a deep fryer to say I would make it any better.

Here is what I meant before with me mis-using terminology, I said deep-fry but what I meant is oil in a saucepan. :v:

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

MiddleOne posted:

Here is what I meant before with me mis-using terminology, I said deep-fry but what I meant is oil in a saucepan. :v:

I think you mean frying or maybe even shallow frying my boney swedish homie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Nicol Bolas posted:

Pedantic contamination chat aside, how much salt are you putting on your chicken such that there is visible excess to wash off? When I dry brine I just salt it like I would if I were just throwing it in the pan, and then don't throw it in the pan. Maybe I throw in an extra pinch to cover the liquid that'll come out of the meat but that's it.

There isn't always visible, but I don't want to overdo it, especially since I've been doing a lot of smoking lately and sometimes other stuff ends up with some salt in it. I don't usually measure; I pour some kosher salt in a small bowl and then coat, usually over the skin, usually the night before.