Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Indolent Bastard posted:

They would be Xenos and probably have a stupid weak codex, so you might hate it.

Then again, they are the new hotness, so maybe they'd be OP as gently caress like GSC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Attestant posted:

Would that get us space rats? Because I wouldn't hate that.

Do we actually know what the Necrons looked like before they were robots?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

VikingSkull posted:

Then again, they are the new hotness, so maybe they'd be OP as gently caress like GSC

Possibly. Some sort of stealth glass cannon army. Who knows? It's a new era for GW, any thing is possible.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Indolent Bastard posted:

Possibly. Some sort of stealth glass cannon army. Who knows? It's a new era for GW, any thing is possible.

I have them pegged as a horde army that specializes in close combat. With a GSC RttS style redeployment rule to get them mobile.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I am looking at picking up Traitors Hate, as it looks like it has some really nice formations.

Quick question though. Do I have to use the decurion style format to use these formations, or can I just add one of the formations to my army? Financially, I can't really afford to go all out on a decurion and I have a good chunk of FW in my Chaos army that doesn't fit, but I really want to use that Raptor formation.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Indolent Bastard posted:

They would be Xenos and probably have a stupid weak codex, so you might hate it.

I play Tyranids.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

VikingSkull posted:

I have them pegged as a horde army that specializes in close combat. With a GSC RttS style redeployment rule to get them mobile.

I feel like the Skaven would more likely have ended up being more like the Tau mixed with Dark Eldar, a bunch of insane technology strapped to some 5 foot tall rat men.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

IanTheM posted:

I feel like the Skaven would more likely have ended up being more like the Tau mixed with Dark Eldar, a bunch of insane technology strapped to some 5 foot tall rat men.

I could see this but I think the ranged stuff would more likely be Chaos derived instead of actual technology.

e- basically this <--- nsfw because it uses the racist rantings of a schizophrenic

e2- holy gently caress make them Horned Rat human cultists with huge rear end Chaos Rats along the GSC line

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 20, 2016

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Uroboros posted:

Can Stormsurges get interceptor?

Yup.

Played my 1650 gladius for the Renegade format a few times in the last few days. My game last night had me dealing with screamerstar, fatey, and trip flyrant. I didn't kill anything significant due to a lack of skyfire (none of the objectives came up with a three)(and him going first). I think I'm going to cut the scouts and command squad to bring in the 2 talons/raven formation. I still get the grav drop and lose a couple melta guns but having something to threaten flyrants and fatey (which) and have some on demand shooting for trying to kill a warlord or whatever seems better, but losing a pod and 20 bodies does sting.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

IanTheM posted:

Hrud with some weird electro-jezzails.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Naramyth posted:

Yup.

Played my 1650 gladius for the Renegade format a few times in the last few days. My game last night had me dealing with screamerstar, fatey, and trip flyrant. I didn't kill anything significant due to a lack of skyfire (none of the objectives came up with a three)(and him going first). I think I'm going to cut the scouts and command squad to bring in the 2 talons/raven formation. I still get the grav drop and lose a couple melta guns but having something to threaten flyrants and fatey (which) and have some on demand shooting for trying to kill a warlord or whatever seems better, but losing a pod and 20 bodies does sting.

I disapprove of you bringing anti Flyrant tools to Renegade. :mad:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Naramyth posted:

Yup.

You talking Battle Company? Raptor Wing isn't an aux choice for it, or did you take that 1st Company task force?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Sulecrist posted:

Yeah I think I was 11-12 when I bought my Eldar (and 9-10 when I was first introduced to WHFB and got the Bretonnian half of that amazing 5th Edition starter set). My nephew just turned 9, and at some point this year I'd like to show him the hobby without having to explain orgy-powered fentanyl chariots to his mother.

by the time he's 11-15 orgy-powered fentanyl chariots will be a plus, not a minus :v:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Master Twig posted:

I disapprove of you bringing anti Flyrant tools to Renegade. :mad:

life's hard twig

Uroboros posted:

You talking Battle Company? Raptor Wing isn't an aux choice for it, or did you take that 1st Company task force?

Who said Raptor Wing? Storm Wing 4 lyfe. Eff that garbage landspeeder thing.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

rjderouin posted:

I used to own a shop in NJ and when they would say things like that I would just be like "those guys are keeping the lights on in here..." The anti anything other than GW is very pervasive in the community, especially anti card game. Where as card game guys always seem to be like, wow, cool models.
Stores I've been in have always been contentious between the two camps, in some cases being so bad that the MTG guys will move the models and terrain on a table so they can play there. Generally I don't have a problem with Magic players though, let them play wizard poker and have their fun, I'll be over here having mine. They generally are the main source of income for most game stores though.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

So my friend and I are giving our go at making Battle Reports in hopes of attracting more attention to our local store. This was our first go, we recognize that the camera was too shaky and that the background noise is distracting but we are hoping to improve both. Any other constructive suggestions are welcomed. The bugs are mine and I made all the terrain and painted the board to!
I think audio is your real downside here. I feel like with most video battle reports it would be advantageous to record audio separately later and commentate on the footage in a separate audio track instead of trying to talk above ambient noise with a lot of unscripted time-filling talk. Good looking models/table though!

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

jadebullet posted:

So I am looking at picking up Traitors Hate, as it looks like it has some really nice formations.

Quick question though. Do I have to use the decurion style format to use these formations, or can I just add one of the formations to my army? Financially, I can't really afford to go all out on a decurion and I have a good chunk of FW in my Chaos army that doesn't fit, but I really want to use that Raptor formation.

You can take just one formation or go full detachment style.

You would only get the formation bonuses obviously, and you can't pick those non formation options from a decurion. I don't know one from traitors hate off hand but the Khorne daemonkin codex has some "war machine" entries toward to bottom of a decurion detachment that is just a maulerfiend or some other tank. That is the bonus you only get for going big detachment.

So some people mix a normal CAD with one or two formations instead. That is 100℅ OK in the rules. Only small chance that the local league/event would put some specific restrictions on number of detachments/formations.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Naramyth posted:

life's hard twig

Who said Raptor Wing? Storm Wing 4 lyfe. Eff that garbage landspeeder thing.

Stormraven with no riders really worth it? Honestly I hate relying on Reserve rolls.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
If anyone in the US is looking for any of the Deathwatch Overkill Space Marine individual models or game components, PM me.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
You know, I was just thinking "If Death Masque came out but a month later they could have joked about the clown epidemic"

https://regimental-standard.com/2016/10/19/dressing-up-as-a-harlequin-and-jumping-out-at-people-not-ok/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
You know that makes me wonder, how do you properly pronounce 'Catachan' ?

I kinda say "cata-chan" but that sounds like some anime nonsense.

Is it "ka-tach-an" or "ca-tack-can" or "ca-tac-han' or what

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I assumed it was kata-chan~ too. Or maybe a bit of Sean Connery cat-a-schan.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

You know that makes me wonder, how do you properly pronounce 'Catachan' ?

I kinda say "cata-chan" but that sounds like some anime nonsense.

Is it "ka-tach-an" or "ca-tack-can" or "ca-tac-han' or what

I've always pronounced it "CAT-uh-chan" (though I tend to drop the "a" so it sounds more like "CAT-uh-chn") but I think the BL audiobooks say "CATA-can." Unfortunately, you can't trust their pronunciation, as each reader will pronounce a name differently, seemingly without guidance from GW itself.

I also say "LAHZ-gun" and not "LAZE-gun," which is probably more correct, but sounds weird to me.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 20, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I also say "LAHZ-gun" and not "LAZE-gun," which is probably more correct, but sounds weird to me.

GW has said they have staff that say both on that one at least. I've always said "lahs-gun" becuase I read Dune first when I was like 12 and I just read it that way.

I get that its supposed to be lazer-gun but laze-gun just sounds weird to me, like glaze-gun or something. And you can imagine that the words pronounciation would get bastardized over the centuries of conflict, so 'lasergun' could become lahs-gun over time.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Las-gun.

Light
Amplification by the
Stimulated
Emission of
Radiation.

LASER. Not Lazer, ffs.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Renfield posted:

Las-gun.

Light
Amplification by the
Stimulated
Emission of
Radiation.

LASER. Not Lazer, ffs.

Nobody is disputing the spelling of laser. Zaphod was spelling it like that to emphasize the pronunciation.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Renfield posted:

Las-gun.

Light
Amplification by the
Stimulated
Emission of
Radiation.

LASER. Not Lazer, ffs.

Yeah and TASER is Thomas A Swift's Electric Rifle but "Taser" as spelled would be pronounced like Tass-er, not Taze-er.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Nobody is disputing the spelling of laser. Zaphod was spelling it like that to emphasize the pronunciation.

Nukular.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Uroboros posted:

Stormraven with no riders really worth it? Honestly I hate relying on Reserve rolls.

I can put some tac marines in there if I want and have an empty rhino rolling around. But yeah reserves can lame but BC can really can come on piecemeal if need be. And the ability to threaten the air makes the demon, flyrant, and maybe even tau matches.

I mean my first GT win was 50 marines in rhinos with trip talons back in 6th so there is something to it. And having the air game lets you strike/concentrate fire at some stuff once you are detached and out of pods.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Raptor Wing is only a 45 point tax for two talons that are garaunteed to arrive. Heck, if the Speeder survives you can get some monster hunter out of the deal. Feels less pricey than 200 on an assault vehicle that isn't being used.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Uroboros posted:

Raptor Wing is only a 45 point tax for two talons that are garaunteed to arrive. Heck, if the Speeder survives you can get some monster hunter out of the deal. Feels less pricey than 200 on an assault vehicle that isn't being used.

Four S8 Ap2 missiles, an assault cannon in the air, and a multi melta while being a pretty hard to kill platform that can also hold some dudes (and like my warlord if it's really safe) for last turn objective grabs is not an "assault vehicle that isn't being used". It's good.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

berzerkmonkey posted:

If anyone in the US is looking for any of the Deathwatch Overkill Space Marine individual models or game components, PM me.

Bah. You're just too late. I bought all but two of them bit by bit... realised I could have bought the whole Kill Team Cassius for as much as I paid for... 5 of them?

Balls.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Naramyth posted:

Four S8 Ap2 missiles, an assault cannon in the air, and a multi melta while being a pretty hard to kill platform that can also hold some dudes (and like my warlord if it's really safe) for last turn objective grabs is not an "assault vehicle that isn't being used". It's good.

Still a tad skeptical. I actually have the models to run a Battle Company with a Stormwing, I just have had luck relying on reserve rolls.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Renfield posted:

Las-gun.

Light
Amplification by the
Stimulated
Emission of
Radiation.

LASER. Not Lazer, ffs.

:science: Actually, the "las" doesn't come from "LASER" but "Johnny Las," (pronounced "Laz"), the first human to be shot to death by a lasgun in the 40k universe.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Are landspeeders for normal space marines bad? For Dark Angels they are awesome, but we get a bunch of cool rules for them that I don't think normal marines get.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Granted I haven't played lot recently I always found using up my FA slots with single LS melta/flamer as useful for dealing with a wide range of issues. Just gotta use cover and realize they are expendable.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

TheChirurgeon posted:

:science: Actually, the "las" doesn't come from "LASER" but "Johnny Las," (pronounced "Laz"), the first human to be shot to death by a lasgun in the 40k universe.

If that's true that's stupid. Like, Land speeder and Land raider being named after some tech priest named Land levels of stupid. So probably true.

Was the Lascannon named after his brother, "Mickey Las", who shared in his family misfortune and was the first shot to death by one?

edit: Then there's the laspistol, named after Ben Las, and the Laser Rapier Destroyer, named after Desmond "The Rapier" Las...

Hamshot fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 21, 2016

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Early records of Tech Priest 'butts' was expunged from the Imperium's history books.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Fun Fact: Melta bombs were created using an STC imprint discovered by a Rogue Trader named Adolphus Bomb

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Hamshot posted:

If that's true that's stupid. Like, Land speeder and Land raider being named after some tech priest named Land levels of stupid. So probably true.

Was the Lascannon named after his brother, "Mickey Las", who shared in his family misfortune and was the first shot to death by one?

edit: Then there's the laspistol, named after Ben Las, and the Laser Rapier Destroyer, named after Desmond "The Rapier" Las...

The Arkham Land thing makes perfect sense in the context of the 40k universe, because it's the only possible way to be named so reasonably. If it weren't named after a guy named Land it'd be called the Wrathmonger or Ironstorm or Hellfucker or whatever.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I always thought the Land thing was a dodgy attempt to legitimize "Land Raider" being a play on "Land Rover."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

rjderouin posted:

I used to own a shop in NJ and when they would say things like that I would just be like "those guys are keeping the lights on in here..." The anti anything other than GW is very pervasive in the community, especially anti card game. Where as card game guys always seem to be like, wow, cool models.

It seems impossible to turn a profit just selling GW stuff. The first hobby shop I went to regularly was like that, and apparently the guy was losing a fortune.

• Locked thread