Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

EdEddnEddy posted:

So outside of the pink/purple stuff for the main story, once you start KOTFE, can you come back and play whatever gold colored quest is left at any time?

Yep. Although the planetary story quests have some quality goodness in them, so I wouldn't just recommend everybody skip them. You'll never get to be a Black Bisector that way. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

prefect posted:

Yep. Although the planetary story quests have some quality goodness in them, so I wouldn't just recommend everybody skip them. You'll never get to be a Black Bisector that way. :)

Is there a list of these "maybe you shouldn't miss this questline for cool rewards" ?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

madstrike posted:

Is there a list of these "maybe you shouldn't miss this questline for cool rewards" ?

If you're looking for titles, you probably want this: http://dulfy.net/2013/02/07/swtor-titles-guide/

Those are the only "cool rewards" I can think of offhand.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

prefect posted:

If you're looking for titles, you probably want this: http://dulfy.net/2013/02/07/swtor-titles-guide/

Those are the only "cool rewards" I can think of offhand.

Ah, dulfy! Forgot he/she had a SWToR section. Nice.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

madstrike posted:

Ah, dulfy! Forgot he/she had a SWToR section. Nice.

No one reads my incredibly detailed OPs. Boooooo hoooooo

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

I guess there was a livestream today where they went over some galatic command/command crate stuff.

Short version:
Gear in crates will be discipline (not advanced class) specific, and BoP
There is a weekly cap on number of crates, they don't say if it is per character or per legacy, but "wouldn't hit it playing normally"
Drop rate goal is a "regular" player gets one per hour
Crates might drop a bunch of belts in a row or something dumb, pray to RNGeezus
No info yet on commendation conversion
Bunch of undecipherable garbage about server-wide DvL battles
Nerds are still mad in the comments

http://dulfy.net/2016/10/20/swtor-galactic-command-dvl-livestream-notes/

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
One crate per hour without even poopsocking? Dang I ain't mad about that! Give me some fresh rewards once per hour! I mean compare that to once per week now if you're lucky?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

See, everyone bitching was mostly unwarranted. Reddit has been hilarious with post after post of "gently caress you Bioware, I'm cancelling my sub after this TERRIBLE decision you made!". It's just like level sync which everyone complained about for a month and ended up being fine.

The only thing I was concerned about was tanks getting DPS gear and vice versa. That's been addressed. Bring on Galactic Command.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

If you hadn't done it some other loser would've so stop milking it!

Medullah posted:

It's just like level sync which everyone complained about for a month and ended up being fine.

They just need to fix the lvl ranges on the starter and capital planets. They said there will be tiers of gear right? As you go up in Command lvls or whatever the gear gets better?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

One crate per hour without even poopsocking? Dang I ain't mad about that! Give me some fresh rewards once per hour! I mean compare that to once per week now if you're lucky?

Yeah, "one thing per hour" is much, much more generous than I'd thought possible. Feel much better about this now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

If you hadn't done it some other loser would've so stop milking it!

They just need to fix the lvl ranges on the starter and capital planets. They said there will be tiers of gear right? As you go up in Command lvls or whatever the gear gets better?

Yeah it supposedly is three tiers of gear. I think it's good, it sounds like it'll be just grindy enough for me to not go crazy with my alts but not so bad I can't work on a few toons.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Yeah it supposedly is three tiers of gear. I think it's good, it sounds like it'll be just grindy enough for me to not go crazy with my alts but not so bad I can't work on a few toons.

I like it...it's just a little strange that ToR has spent the last 4 years getting more and more alt friendly only to suddenly reverse.

At least it gets rid of trap commendation gear which was a waste of time for everyone. Wonder what they're going to do about the sub-65 Supply vendors? If it was me I'd just have story missions reward blue lockboxes like Heroics.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I like it...it's just a little strange that ToR has spent the last 4 years getting more and more alt friendly only to suddenly reverse.

At least it gets rid of trap commendation gear which was a waste of time for everyone. Wonder what they're going to do about the sub-65 Supply vendors? If it was me I'd just have story missions reward blue lockboxes like Heroics.

The mod vendors will still be there, selling green mods for credits. But of course Heroics will continue to be the best gear.

I'm just excited to not have to repeatedly tell people not to waste their common crystals on level 65 poo poo gear every other page. Should drive up the price of my hoarded grade 6 companion gifts too.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

neurotic posted:

But it isn't the same with every event. During Bounty Contract Week, bounties exist that don't exist otherwise. During the Rhakghoul event, an area that doesn't normally exist in the game is turned on. The DvL achievements state things like this: "Defeat 50 Gree Droids with any character created during the Dark vs Light event." See the difference?

I'm guessing two major things will happen that will mess up any achievements you try to get later:

1. The special DvL flag will be deleted from all those characters so they will effectively stop being special DvL characters.

2. The DvL packs (edit: and other rewards) will no longer be available at all, and will no longer be awarded even if you could bust out the actual achievements.

Again, these are guesses, but I will be really, really surprised if either one is wrong.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nerd Of Prey posted:

1. The special DvL flag will be deleted from all those characters so they will effectively stop being special DvL characters.

I hope they don't delete the flag. I need it as a badge of shame for my "It's too loving hot out I'm staying inside all summer" disaster of a year. :D

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

But aren't you enthralled by the gripping story and want to do everything possible on one character to fully enjoy the experience?!?!

That seriously is an argument I see a lot on the official TOR forums in response to criticism of KOTFE.

neurotic
Apr 27, 2013

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I'm guessing two major things will happen that will mess up any achievements you try to get later:

2. The DvL packs (edit: and other rewards) will no longer be available at all, and will no longer be awarded even if you could bust out the actual achievements.

Again, these are guesses, but I will be really, really surprised if either one is wrong.

Yeah that does sound reasonable, and I agree with the general consensus that the achievements won't be able to be completed after the event is turned off. I'm just getting a little nervous that they will gently caress something up, this seems a bit tricky for them to handle correctly.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Speaking of the game being alt-friendly, do I have to join the Guild on each character individually? Because I'm a bit of an altoholic and that seems like a pain for the people I will keep asking for Guild joining.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Medullah posted:

I hope they don't delete the flag. I need it as a badge of shame for my "It's too loving hot out I'm staying inside all summer" disaster of a year. :D

For me it'll be "Here's the reminder of all you did that summer because you tripped over and landed like a spastic water ox and took months to heal right to be able to not Torgo walk anymore".

Though now I wonder if they'll do other similarly special iconned events and drat if I'll get it into my head about collecting event markers on toons.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I'm kind of curious how the DvL thing will work out for light sided imp characters. Like they say as the scales tip one way or another for each side jedi/sith are supposed to show up and attack areas in the game. So like, you're a light side Sith Warrior are you suddenly fighting alongside jedi on Dromund Kaas against imperial npcs or what?

In general I think it all sounds fine, that just sounds possibly a bit weird.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Berke Negri posted:

I'm kind of curious how the DvL thing will work out for light sided imp characters. Like they say as the scales tip one way or another for each side jedi/sith are supposed to show up and attack areas in the game. So like, you're a light side Sith Warrior are you suddenly fighting alongside jedi on Dromund Kaas against imperial npcs or what?

Probably. I expect them to entirely forget about nuance like that and homogenize everything as much as possible.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

rantmo posted:

Speaking of the game being alt-friendly, do I have to join the Guild on each character individually? Because I'm a bit of an altoholic and that seems like a pain for the people I will keep asking for Guild joining.

Yes. There's no function to invite by legacy. Keep asking to join on all you alts.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

rantmo posted:

Get used to it. :D (I personally only ask for invites if there are at least two other guild members online. This means most of my Republic alts are guildless. :()

My alts have gotten out of control recently; I'm trying to put together a plan to figure out how many I should actually have. :spergin:

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
If folks need guild invites, feel free to post a time you're available and I can arrange to be on Republic side. I juggle so many alts it doesn't bug me to hop on one side or the other, usually crafting so I can throw out invites while I do that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I'm thinking maybe one character for each tank/heal advanced class on both Republic and Empire. Then for those classes, one of each of the DPS specs, but one Republic and one Empire. Haven't worked out a plan for dealing with the all-DPS advanced classes yet. :spergin:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Berke Negri posted:

From the dev stream yesterday it sounds like it's not a true "Dark vs. Light" event - you pick a side to "fight" for and the Galactic Command XP you earn goes toward that side - light side/dark side choices are still LS/DS but the points you gain for doing dailies/ops/etc are going to be what decides it in the long run. So really, yeah, you'll be fighting whatever pops up.

If the special bosses drop phat lewtz it'll be like Everquest all over again "Honey, I just got a text, boss is up, I need to log on!"

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

rantmo posted:

The rest of MMOs still haven't reached the excellence that is the GuildWars2 guild system. Account is linked to the Guild, be on how many guilds you want, select to 'represent' one at a time whenever you want.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

madstrike posted:

The rest of MMOs still haven't reached the excellence that is the GuildWars2 guild system. Account is linked to the Guild, be on how many guilds you want, select to 'represent' one at a time whenever you want.

Yeah that's pretty cool. I think there would actually be a lot of opposition to a legacy wide guild invite/friends list - Being that this game is so alt friendly, I think there are a lot of people who are in multiple guilds (I know of at least one of our former raiders who split their time between two), and it's kind of nice to be able to do that.

Luckily they raised the guild caps to 1,000 so it's easier to have as many alts as needed without me needing to purge inactives every other month. :)

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Berke Negri posted:

Well being a Light leaning Warrior doesn't mean you still don't serve the Empire.

Now an Agent who defects would have a case of "my immersion :qq:" so you just RP that sometimes you do what you have to do to maintain cover. Although there too just because you serve the Republic doesn't mean you serve the Jedi.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

madstrike posted:

I just want a game with GW2's Guild system and the City of Heroes Chat system. Why does this not exist?

Adeptus
May 1, 2009
I'm thinking of playing this again, looks like it's changed a loooot since I last logged on.

How's the ping from EU to the Jedi Covenant server? Many people online at EU friendly times? I'm not looking to raid or anything like that, but it'd be nice to have a reasonably talkative guild chat to make it feel a bit less single-player.

Also, how do character transfers work regarding legacy? If I have a bunch of characters from the same legacy on one server and transfer one character across to another server, do I basically get the perks on both?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Adeptus posted:

I'm thinking of playing this again, looks like it's changed a loooot since I last logged on.

How's the ping from EU to the Jedi Covenant server? Many people online at EU friendly times? I'm not looking to raid or anything like that, but it'd be nice to have a reasonably talkative guild chat to make it feel a bit less single-player.

Also, how do character transfers work regarding legacy? If I have a bunch of characters from the same legacy on one server and transfer one character across to another server, do I basically get the perks on both?

Yeah, when you transfer over you transfer your legacy so any perks you previously unlocked carry over. At that point it becomes two separate ones though, so anything additional unlocked is only on the server you unlock it on.

Goon guilds are pretty quiet at all hours right now, the pre expansion 1-2 months are generally pretty rough - but it's a good time to come back if you want to level, with the 200% XP until KOTET launches you're gonna have a good time. :)

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Well being a Light leaning Warrior doesn't mean you still don't serve the Empire.

Now an Agent who defects would have a case of "my immersion :qq:" so you just RP that sometimes you do what you have to do to maintain cover. Although there too just because you serve the Republic doesn't mean you serve the Jedi.

Yeah, whatever it turns out to be I'll be fine with it even if some characters it seems strange. My thing when I first heard of it was that it would be something like KOTET would be about a civil war breaking out in Zakuul between Vailyn/SCORPIO and Senya/Arcann and so everyone would kind of pick a side to fight for.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Medullah posted:

Who said that, it was like a spooky ghost whispering in the wind.

Oh it's me, I came back :ghost:

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
The only reason he does the OP is so he can get his referral code in it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Aleth posted:

Hey now, can't be said that I don't earn that right with my question answering. :D

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Aleth posted:

And I probably clicked it at some point too.

The SWTOR forums are still bewailing the upcoming changes like it's a sign of the Apocalypse. I'm finding it amusing that for how the forums there have considered the f2p/preferred crowd as a worthless bunch of entitled freeloaders who are the reason the credit sellers have a market in game, now they're all whining about these changes will effect the f2p/preferreds from being able to raid. My favorite complaint so far is still the "But...but....end game gear has to come from downing a raid boss or it has no meaning" one.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Medullah posted:

Hey now, can't be said that I don't earn that right with my question answering. :D

Oh of course, somebody has to!

Adeptus posted:

I play on it from the UK and the ping is fine. Pop isn't great outside of US peak but it is at a quiet stage now between content releases so it'll pick up again when KotET releases.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

M_Sinistrari posted:

And I probably clicked it at some point too.

The SWTOR forums are still bewailing the upcoming changes like it's a sign of the Apocalypse. I'm finding it amusing that for how the forums there have considered the f2p/preferred crowd as a worthless bunch of entitled freeloaders who are the reason the credit sellers have a market in game, now they're all whining about these changes will effect the f2p/preferreds from being able to raid. My favorite complaint so far is still the "But...but....end game gear has to come from downing a raid boss or it has no meaning" one.

It's the same sky is falling that Level Sync had last year. Everyone blowing up and threatening to sue.

Personally, the more I think about it, the better I like it. Forces you to play a character to gear them up a bit, and gives you a ton of options. The RNG is a bit crappy but it's really not that different if you're not in a raiding guild - I can't tell you how many unassembled bracers, offhands and gloves I have spread amongst my characters but hardly any helmets or chestpieces to complete sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Also, on a side note, I'll probably be on tonight later drinking if anyone needs to do any DvL stuff like Hard Modes or ERP.

• Locked thread