Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I appreciate the Republican lady's distaste for Trump. But as a GOP strategist, she has to understand that the GOP laid the groundwork for Trump by courting racist voters, playing up the culture wars, and the effects Reaganomics had on White America, right?

Like, if Trump loses, the GOP can pretend 2016 never happened, but it doesn't stop the fact that there was enough people agreeing with his message to seize control of the party... and it can still happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
She's way too sharp to not know that. She's simply a Republican due to emotional baggage, she said it herself.

edit: my father is very similar. In his actions, philosophy, and beliefs, he's totally a liberal/progressive, but he grew up on a farm and registered Republican, and despite being a teacher and watching every single Republican candidate in his state try to abolish public school systems, he's still a Republican. He just never realized that he's a pre-Goldwater republican, and like a frog being boiled to death slowly, he never noticed the changes because they were gradual.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 14, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The final comment to the man with the wedding ring about "well I think she's the dummy if she thinks someone else is going to gently caress you" :iceburn:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

coyo7e posted:

She's way too sharp to not know that. She's simply a Republican due to emotional baggage, she said it herself.

edit: my father is very similar. In his actions, philosophy, and beliefs, he's totally a liberal/progressive, but he grew up on a farm and registered Republican, and despite being a teacher and watching every single Republican candidate in his state try to abolish public school systems, he's still a Republican. He just never realized that he's a pre-Goldwater republican, and like a frog being boiled to death slowly, he never noticed the changes because they were gradual.

From what she said, she seems to be part of that generation of the GOP that deifies Reagan because he was the face of the anti-USSR, but magnified because she was more directly affected than your average American.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
To her credit, she did jump ship eventually.

Unfortunately, there are still too many "Respectable Immigrant/Children of Immigrants" Republicans still riding the bus as Trump drives it down a cliff. My home town today just had an event with Trump hosted by Republican Hindus. They hate Muslims as much as Trump's archetypal base of white supporters, and they're willing to ignore how that that same base is more than willing to throw them all over the wall when given the chance.

I obviously don't want to downplay all the ways Trump is uniquely terrible. But I'm surprisingly still bitter about 2004 and all the Republicans who didn't fall out of line when it was already clear at that point that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 and thousands of people died for nothing. That was the point that I felt like if there was any mysterious "Decent, Respectable Republicans" who put country or morality over party loyalty, that should've been the election to do it. Instead, it took another twelve years; because people were only willing to flee the GOP when the Right Wing Revolution starts devouring its children. (Of course I know now that 2004 shouldn't be considered too special, but that was the election set during my senior year in high school, when my politics were really starting to take shape. But 2004 stinks a lot, and I haven't forgiven the "old guard" of the GOP for it.)

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 16, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, I know this isn't the thread for this show anymore, but I do feel Colbert is back. His interview with Obama tonight as "Randy" the office manager was amazing, he did the classic "draw a diagram on a board and ended up drawing penis", and he's going to have a motherfucking LIVE election night special on Showtime.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S
^^^ Not to mention the, love him or hate him, always good O'Reilly interview. Great show tonight.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The penis diagram was also reminiscent of Craig Ferguson's "let's see when the censor kicks in" game.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Trevor's sick. Jordan Klepper is hosting tonight. There's already a clip of it on the Facebook page.

Strange. It feels like he just joined the show yesterday; but now he's the first officer.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

bull3964 posted:

So, I know this isn't the thread for this show anymore, but I do feel Colbert is back. His interview with Obama tonight as "Randy" the office manager was amazing, he did the classic "draw a diagram on a board and ended up drawing penis", and he's going to have a motherfucking LIVE election night special on Showtime.
I feel like the medium inherently makes it so Colbert will never be back unless he just goes full eric andre. Late night is for dying people and angry dads
Conan was funny and eccentric like 45 years ago during WWII

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Echo Chamber posted:

Trevor's sick. Jordan Klepper is hosting tonight. There's already a clip of it on the Facebook page.

Strange. It feels like he just joined the show yesterday; but now he's the first officer.

All along I was expecting the whole thing to be an extended joke about refusing to admit you missed your shot at the big chair and Trevor to be back for segment 2, but nope, guess it was real #penisfarts

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Echo Chamber posted:

Well at least now I know who to blame this week long flu bug on besides Jenny McCarthy

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Jordan's episode was pretty drat funny. Although his interview with the Luke Cage guy seemed very nervous and awkward.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Echo Chamber posted:

I can't wait to see how good the show gets when he grows a beard!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Echo Chamber posted:

It's pretty much by default, since everyone from the Stewart regime is long gone now.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
It was pretty crazy when he said he'd been there the longest and I realized it was true.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Jiro posted:

Jordan's episode was pretty drat funny. Although his interview with the Luke Cage guy seemed very nervous and awkward.

PRO-TIP: Don't call the guest's child an idiot.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Boywhiz88 posted:

PRO-TIP: Don't call the guest's child an idiot.

That interview was the first time where I had to ask myself how much of the Jordan Klepper "character" was an act, whoof.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That wasn't until the very end. Seemed fine for a first interview, Luke Cage guy had some decently interesting things to say and it didn't seem too awkward really. klepper just did too many nervous interruptions which is to be expected.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Oliver did the same when he started hosting for Jon.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Jordan Klepper is a genius not because he is intelligent in the slightest but because he became self aware enough to realize this and has made it into a money making venture.

He reminds me of a young spunky Jason Jones with more mayo.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
There's not enough Klepper love in this thread, so I'll say I really like his "white guy trying to be cool" act.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Plus that kid definitely is an idiot

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Echo Chamber posted:

There's not enough Klepper love in this thread, so I'll say I really like his "white guy trying to be cool" act.

He owned that Africa Joke.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm a fan, don't get me wrong, there were just a couple of clear "blurt out the first thing in my head" moments that left me curious.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Ooh, a Klepper ep? I might watch that, I always thought he'd have been an interesting choice for host.

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'm a fan, don't get me wrong, there were just a couple of clear "blurt out the first thing in my head" moments that left me curious.
He does come from an improv background...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

A clip show tonight?
I guess Trevor is still out? Penisfarts really are no laughing matter.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
@midnight is a rerun, so I guess this was planned ahead of time.

They did something similar during the conventions if I recall correctly.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The staff is just having a Westworld marathon.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
Christ on a stick Jeezy seems even dumber than the Hannibal joke about him. Almost everything he said was a dumb platitude that had nothing to do with the question asked.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Interesting concept

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This is certainly something

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
It's... well, they're trying something new.

It's played too straight to work for me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yeah, that was certainly different. I wonder what brought this on, it didn't seem like a lot of planning went into the concept.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I was okay with that. The cameos were fun.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Desi eating the rat something else.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
That was a thing they did that's for sure, wasn't peculiarly funny, which is a bold direction to take a comedy show.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

That was a thing they did that's for sure, wasn't peculiarly funny, which is a bold direction to take a comedy show.

My problem is that it was basically a strawman example for conservatives to point at. "Look at the insane things they're predicting will happen! That's how scared they are! They're crazy! You can tell it's not a joke because at no point does any of it feel like a joke, nor is there laughter! This is seriously what they think!"

If you want to do this kind of thing without that reaction, you can't play it so straight, because people might take you seriously. Sure, people who already disagree with you. But now, more of them think you're nuts instead of just differently minded, and their position against you is galvanized even more than before.

This was a misstep. I doubt it'll do any lasting damage, but it didn't help anything at all. If they'd lightened the tone just a bit, it would have worked so much better.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

raditts posted:

Yeah, that was certainly different. I wonder what brought this on, it didn't seem like a lot of planning went into the concept.

I think it was supposed to be a Halloween special. "Scary" for The Daily Show being Trump actually winning and them doing an episode from the future.

All it was missing was a Jon Stewart cameo. You can get Larry King but not Jon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Afro posted:

All it was missing was a Jon Stewart cameo. You can get Larry King but not Jon?

Yeah, that was odd to say the least. I was surprised they got John Oliver, I had been under the impression CC and TDS were salty about him doing the same thing on another network instead of staying on.

• Locked thread