Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
How distributed is the population on different modes so far? I'm most interested in playing Operations but if no one's playing them and just going through deathmatch maps I'll probably pass until this game goes on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yar The Pirate posted:

How distributed is the population on different modes so far? I'm most interested in playing Operations but if no one's playing them and just going through deathmatch maps I'll probably pass until this game goes on sale.

So far I've had zero problems getting into a full Operations match. There are pretty much always going to be more people playing Conquest / TDM than anything else, but I've tried every game mode and had full matches every time. That said it's always hard to tell because there's the novelty factor of a new game and a new game mode, so who knows what it will look like down the line. If anything, now is probably the best time to play it. Like, BF4 is still heavily populated but there are a ton of game modes that you flat-out can't get into anymore at this point.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

I tried joining a mumble that i read had battlefielders on it but the battlefield channel is locked or something what gives with that

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So does the trench binoculars auto spot people now?

And how the heck am I supposed to kill 3 vehicles with kshells without insane coordination?

What is the best scout rifle for sniping and what is the best one for mid and short range shootouts?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Philosopher King posted:

And how the heck am I supposed to kill 3 vehicles with kshells without insane coordination?

K bullets aren't meant for vehicle killing, they're mainly meant to prevent tankers from being able to repair by interrupting it.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Savage For The Winjun posted:

I tried joining a mumble that i read had battlefielders on it but the battlefield channel is locked or something what gives with that

CTS Mumble Thread posted:

:siren:To move out of the lobby you MUST right-click yourself and register! :siren:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yar The Pirate posted:

I'm having problems with anything but Conquest.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Are we still using Mumble and not Discord? Are there any goon servers up for this anymore?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Battle log and etc EA/Origin things have always been wonky for me on the PS4 because of how lovely their link/unlink systems are. Is there anything I should know about this game going into it? Is it still going to be permanently tied to the ea account I can't access and don't use or is there a better account system in place?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Party Plane Jones posted:

K bullets aren't meant for vehicle killing, they're mainly meant to prevent tankers from being able to repair by interrupting it.

It's a requirement for one of the medals, which I'm pretty sure nobody is going to get legitimately since I don't think you can even kill a light jeep with the 5 K-Bullets you get. I guess you could shoot at motorcycles if you're good at leading moving targets.

You basically need a buddy to sit with you and feed you supply packs while you plink at a vehicle that doesn't just turn around and blow you to hell / move out of the way, and hope that you get the killing hit and that some rando doesn't toss a grenade at it when it's about to blow up. And you need to do that three times.

A few of the medals are pretty ridiculous, given that you only have a week to complete them and have to do the tasks in order. The Behemoth one is pretty silly, too, and I don't think anyone who plays casually is going to be able to get a good chunk of them. The medal system is definitely a major step back from the previous games, especially since there aren't any ribbons for smaller, more achievable goals. I always liked trying to hunt for different medals / ribbons in BF4 because it made me try new kits and vehicles and stuff that I normally wouldn't, and things like trying to get a bunch of knife or pistol kills in a round are surprisingly fun.

Trying to get 5 knife or pistol kills in a single life, which doesn't count until you've managed to get 10 pistol kills in a single round, does not seem like it will be much fun.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 21, 2016

Iakona
Jan 24, 2006

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

What's the deal with Battlepack drops after the end of a round? Is it just random? Seems like top-scoring people are more likely to get them, but maybe not. Some lucky bastard I played with last night got 3 in a row while I went 7 rounds without one.

The game feels very stingy with them so far after coming from BF4 where they rained down on my head (especially with only one item per pack and the high scrap cost of buying a new one), but then again it's only cosmetic this time and there seems to be a much smaller pool of items, so I guess it makes sense to spread them out a lot farther. Are there no XP boosts or anything this time around?

I'm wondering the same thing, but I'm assuming they're random. I got one the second match I played, and seven hours later have yet to see another drop for me.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Just got this as an early b'day gift! Are there any goon groups or platoons going for this game yet? It's time for me to get my goon swagger on and kick some A. :cheers:

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It's a requirement for one of the medals, which I'm pretty sure nobody is going to get legitimately since I don't think you can even kill a light jeep with the 5 K-Bullets you get. I guess you could shoot at motorcycles if you're good at leading moving targets.

When I recon I always fire all of my K's at the first armored thing I see, and when it's armored cars or jeeps I've found kills aren't that uncommon. A couple K's into a damaged Armored Car will blow it up a surprising amount of the time. I've gotten kills on Tanks before but only when I see a bunch of people mobbing fire on it and I squeak in the 4 hp shot that blows it up.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

If you're support and you don't poo poo ammo as soon as it cools down I hate you

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I should never have to ask to be honest

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

:dice:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

:dice:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Origin quit working for me a few hours ago. This happening to anyone else? Getting a browser error telling me to check back later.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Aliquid posted:

Origin quit working for me a few hours ago. This happening to anyone else? Getting a browser error telling me to check back later.

If you get this message:

quote:

Origin encountered an issue loading this page. Please try reloading it – if that doesn’t work, restart the client or try again later.

Do this:

quote:

Delete Origin folder in C:\ProgramData\
Delete Origin folder in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\
Delete Origin folder in C:\Users\ <username> \AppData\Roaming\

You'll probably have to log in again. Apparently the cache gets corrupted for Origin and it wigs the gently caress out. I'd delete the first Origin folder in ProgramData and then see if it works fine after that; if not continue on with the others.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

So what's the deal with joystick support? As far as I can tell BF1 doesn't officially support them yet, but they're going to patch it in? I am hot and ready to act out childhood Richthofen fantasies not seen since Red Baron, but I refuse to do it with a goddamn mouse and would prefer to avoid a 360 controller.

I actually need a new stick and was going to pick up a Logitech 3D Pro tomorrow, but will probably hold off until it will actually work ingame.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I played Operations for the first time tonight with two full goon squads, and holy poo poo why did I not try playing this before? It's so much fun to progress across a map, and then move on to another, connected fight. If they had had anything like this in BF4 I would have played it non-stop.

Also, apparently when I am playing with goons I am...good? I got a 30 killstreak on the St. Quentin's Scar portion of an operation, after picking up a sentry kit and having a ton of coordinated medic/support drops.

BF1 continues to be fun, and when I'm done playing I can say I definitely want to go back for more, no question, and that is more than I can say for most other Battlefield games I've played (except BC2).

El_Funko
May 25, 2003

Where did she go?
Anyone know if the retail PC copy has the content on the disc, or is it just a box with an origin code?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

If you get this message:

Do this:

You'll probably have to log in again. Apparently the cache gets corrupted for Origin and it wigs the gently caress out. I'd delete the first Origin folder in ProgramData and then see if it works fine after that; if not continue on with the others.

It looks like I don't have Programdata or Appdata folders. I tried deleting Origin and re-installing it but got the same error. Windows 7 btw

edit nevermind it was hidden

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 21, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

KingKapalone posted:

Are we still using Mumble and not Discord? Are there any goon servers up for this anymore?

Not related to anything having to do with old BF groups, but the goon server Reticulated Splines has a bunch of bros all playing bf1 as well. We tend to just roll as a squad and play objectives in conquest.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Iakona posted:

I'm wondering the same thing, but I'm assuming they're random. I got one the second match I played, and seven hours later have yet to see another drop for me.
I managed 3 in the 10 hour trial. Some article speculated they tend to favor people who stick to the same server for a bit, but who knows.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Gunder posted:

If you can stand to listen to long podcasts, then Dan Carlin's "Blueprint to Armageddon" series about WW1 on his Hardcore History podcast is really great. Each episode is over 4 hours long, but it's very carefully researched and brilliantly read. http://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/

I listened to his Hardcore History show a lot at my old desk job, and it was good. Does he still say "agaiiiin" a lot?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

El_Funko posted:

Anyone know if the retail PC copy has the content on the disc, or is it just a box with an origin code?

The latter probably.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Man between this and Civ6 I'm gonna have enough content to occupy me for a long while in about 20 minutes.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is there a certain way to get battle packs? When the round ends it shows people getting them but never me. My friend got one for hitting level 15 but I didn't. I'm doing well in the rounds, so what actions need to be performed?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I've seen the past...the past is really, really gray.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Pharmaskittle posted:

I listened to his Hardcore History show a lot at my old desk job, and it was good. Does he still say "agaiiiin" a lot?

I've never noticed it.

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran
So glad the game uses my old badge!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I've been enjoying singleplayer immensely and was very surprised that I could put everything on Ultra with TAA and HBAO, on an i5-3570, HD7850 2GB and 8GB RAM, with little issue except the odd cutscene stutter. Unfortunately it runs significantly worse in multiplayer, especially the overhead transitions. Which settings are the worst offenders and/or easiest to live without?

Also, where's the Hellfighter stuff from my GMG pre-order? The customisation menu is pretty terrible.

Game is loving gorgeous, though, and the sound design absolutely incredible as always. Whoever does that should get all the awards.

Edit: Am I blind or did they miss the opportunity for a dedicated dogfight mode? For shame.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 21, 2016

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

xyigx posted:

Bayonet increases ads time so I really only use it on med range weapons and snipers. I haven't finished all the shotgun testing yet but I can say you don't want a bayonet on them.

YES. YES I DO.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Well, gently caress me for being left-handed, I guess. I fire up the game, intending to go through the rather exhausting process of rebinding all the keys over to something I can use and maybe getting into a quick multiplayer match for a bayonet kill.

Instead I just get dropped into that really cool prologue section so I have to ruin my immersion to frantically fix poo poo so I could play the game.

It was loving embarrassing, like :dice: yanked me out of bed and made me attend a funeral before I could even put on deodorant.

Allen_Aldo
Jul 8, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Got any book recommendations regarding WW1?

Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger.

That guy lived through the war and loving loved every second of it.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Anyone know what I can get away with super sample wise on a 6700k i7/GTX1080 running on ultra at 1080p?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

So they accidentally left the mobile AA in, it's called a buttepanzer, and it's a phenomenal thing and I really enjoyed going 51:0 just now.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm completely new to pc, if I buy the code off amazon, where do I plug it in to get the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

drrockso20 posted:

Got any book recommendations regarding WW1?

Some great recommendations so far, I want to suggest The Wipers Times. It's a collection of the trench newspaper that the Sherwood Forrester battalion produced at Ypres. (Which is pronounced EEpre, but lots of Tommies looked at the word and said wipers instead.) It's got a good sense of humour to it, it's basically written by Great War goons looking to cheer up the bored soldiers living in mud. Looking in Google just now, I see a TV series was made about it a couple years back. It also has the best war poem ever written:

The Burning Question (by an anonymous soldier, published in The Wiper Times Oct 1917)

Three tommies sat in a trench one day,
Discussing the war in the usual way,
They talked of the mud and they talked of the Hun,
Of what was to do and what had been done,
They talked about rum, and-tis hard to believe,
They even found time to speak about leave,
But the point which they argued from post back to pillar,
Was whether Notts County could beat Aston villa,

The night sped away and zero drew nigh,
Equipment made ready all lips getting dry,
And watches consulted with each passing minute
Till five more to go then twould find them all in it,
The word came along the line to get ready!
The sergeant admonishing all to keep steady,
But out rang a voice getting shriller and shriller,
I tell yer Notts County can beat Aston Villa!

The earth shook and swayed and the barrage was on
As they leapt o'er the top with a rush, and were gone
Away into Hun land through mud and though wire
Stabbing and dragging themselves though the mire
No time to heed those who are following en route
Till stopped by a strong point they lay down to shoot,
Then through the din came a voice " Say Jack Miller! "
"I tell yer Notts County can beat Aston Villa"

The strong point has gone, and forward they press
Towards their objective in number grown less
They reach it at last and prepare to resist
The counter_attack, which will come through the mist