Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

2 SPOOKY posted:

You basically answered your own question. You can do that, it's just not the highest potency per GCD opener. I'd argue that if you don't mind adjusting to new things, there's really no reason not to do the best BLM opener - it's less forgiving, but there aren't many boss fights at the moment that are unfriendly to a BLM trying to stand still and get their opener done. It's generally a bit before any invuln phases/jumps/big aoes/etc happen.

How much spell speed is needed for it to work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Tonight I've learned that normal Nerdhogg is really really bad for monks

Stop leaving you shitler :mad:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ciaphas posted:

Look at it as practice. If you time it right, you can totally maintain GL through his fire dash things. The adds phase can't be helped, but perfect balance solves that nicely.

Too many cats. Scooby is fine, cause the pose, but the rest not being humans is shameful. :colbert:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dante18907 posted:

Man, all these words about openers and correct orders for poo poo and Im just sitting here poking poo poo with my spear. So glad I am a melee dps :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTkz5nqAXsM

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I love BLM since the job itself is simple but there's a ton you can do to optimize and doing split second calls during fights is very satisfying when they pay off.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Dastardly posted:

I love BLM since the job itself is simple but there's a ton you can do to optimize and doing split second calls during fights is very satisfying when they pay off.

Same but MNK for me. Knowing to delay that third attack just for a split second so you have maximum time to keep GL3 after a jump, or shoulder tackling through Sophia's bullshit, anticipating movement so you're in the right spot for the next attack. :feelsgood:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ciaphas posted:

Is there any endgame boss that's good for monks?

Honestly losing stacks is the major thing deterring me from making it my DPS main. Oh well, I'll continue shooting arrows.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sophia EX isn't anywhere near as bad for MNK as I thought--I'd say easier than Nerdhogg HM (haven't done EX) as far as keeping GL3 goes, just because most of her jumps are short enough that form shift and good timing on your last 3rd attack are enough to keep it, and her long timeouts can be Perfect Balanced

All the short breaks give me more Forbidden Chakras too, it's kinda nice getting huge crits with fists :3:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Dante18907 posted:

Im only level 48 so I don't have to worry about poo poo yet. I pretty much press 5 buttons in fights. gently caress DRG is boring before cap.

At level 60 you'll be tripping over yourself keeping HT and Blood of the Dragon up while making sure you ding the powersurged jump, lifesurged full thrust and a geirskogul all in one blood4blood on top of your dots and positioning and making sure you're constantly hitting your buttons :v: Oh, don't forget to learn how to double ogcd abilities. And fitting potion use into that.

Well, for super high level play anyway :v: "Acceptable" DRG play at 60 for pubs would be at least keeping BOTD up while using geirskoguls...

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dante18907 posted:

Im only level 48 so I don't have to worry about poo poo yet. I pretty much press 5 buttons in fights. gently caress DRG is boring before cap.

My friend, let me tell you a story that I call "Blood of the Dragon"
Enjoy your cushy perfect rotation while it lasts.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

In DF everyone's garbage and so am I, but thankfully this thread's here to help minimize the harm done on my end.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Brainamp posted:

Too many cats. Scooby is fine, cause the pose, but the rest not being humans is shameful. :colbert:

They would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for those meddling cats!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

In Duty Finder I'm like Eminem dropping sick beats.

Except instead of sick beats I'm dropping my DPS.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Random question:

Can you farm Triple Triad cards in an unsynced party?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

HenryEx posted:

Random question:

Can you farm Triple Triad cards in an unsynced party?
Yes. You can trust me, I'm an insane card nerd.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Xarbala posted:

In DF everyone's garbage and so am I, but thankfully this thread's here to help minimize the harm done on my end.

Just because you're trash doesn't mean you can't achieve great things. It's a garbage can, not garbage cannot. :v:

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy
I spent all night but I think I finally understand unspoiled nodes and counterfoils. It took me way too long to figure out you just hit the slot and not use Toil of the whatever and blow half your GP. :negative:

But now I have the botany chest and match Khloe :3:

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Looks like the EU lore books are finally dispatching. I'll finally have mine tomorrow!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
No boss makes me nerd rage more about my stacks than the whelk in Hullbreaker HM. Stop hiding in your loving shell already :argh:

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

First boss of Xelphatol for me, I have to readjust my opener since he disappears so quickly. :argh:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Truga posted:

Just because you're trash doesn't mean you can't achieve great things. It's a garbage can, not garbage cannot. :v:

No lie, this is my favourite macro :allears:

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Dastardly posted:

Ciaphas posted:

Same but MNK for me. Knowing to delay that third attack just for a split second so you have maximum time to keep GL3 after a jump, or shoulder tackling through Sophia's bullshit, anticipating movement so you're in the right spot for the next attack. :feelsgood:
Agreed! My two favorite DPS jobs for sure, for the same reasons. Plus I've always got my BRD to fall back on if I want to snooze my way through something :v:

I've been playing a lot of DRK lately though, so even MNK feels like a warm safe blanket compared with that.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Brainamp posted:

Look at it as practice. If you time it right, you can totally maintain GL through his fire dash things. The adds phase can't be helped, but perfect balance solves that nicely.

All those cattegirls and they go with Scooby Doo and not Josie and the Pussycats. smdh.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I'm only up to level 15 on Pugilist and I can already tell I'm going to like MNK a lot. I like how it seems like the combos can branch off in different ways situationally, just as long as you keep your GL stacks rolling. It's pretty cool.

I have Lancer to 30 so I might as well go four more levels to grab Blood for Blood before I dive head-first into punching things. And probably Marauder for Mercy Stroke/unlocking DRG for the hell of it. But punching things is cool and good, as it always is.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I am still torn on what DPS I want to focus on myself, I have DRG leveled up now, but I am not sure it is for me. I could hang pretty well up to 50 or so, but right now I feel like it requires somebody who is a little better at buttoning and timers than I am. It is very likely I just need practice, but at the same time I find myself yearning for a more forgiving dps at the moment. Makes me want to try BRD, or maybe just to finish leveling up MNK.

Just got AST to 60, and I find I am enjoying it a lot. I still feel like I prefer whm a bit in dungeons due to the stun on holy, but in eight mans spreading cards and the ability to be flexible with sects feels really valuable. I would say the thing I dislike the most is the 15 yalm radius on aspected helios, compared to the 20 yalm radius on medica 2. I miss those extra 5 yalms.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
did u know that you can regularly pull 1.5k dps + in creator normal maintanking as dark? its true! it requires your healers to pretend you're undergeared and babysit you a bit but sitting in darkside with no grit and playing john madden with your ogcds is fun

i'd be a little wary of a12 punishing heat (tankbuster) but rotating cooldowns you'll be fine

you can also solo tank the add phase too but that gets real dicey real quick, those fat general dudes hit like trucks

e: i think i should do a video on dark dps maintanking or something, the information out there is either outdated or is still good but explained poorly

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Monk is very fun, Black Mage is cool but too involved in terms of buff management for me who plays DPS roles for some chill play, though part of it is that I've not practiced it much, Summoner is fun and Deathflare is extremely satisfying but I'm bad at it. Same goes for Mechanist, minus the cool Deathflare button, though Ricochet is also fun.

I have no other level 60 DPS, but I think I main the DPS class, MNK, least like my real main, WHM.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

boy are my arms tired posted:

e: i think i should do a video on dark dps maintanking or something, the information out there is either outdated or is still good but explained poorly

Please do this

Most of the information about DRK is either super general or completely awful. Most of the stuff I know about the class came from just guessing and seeing if it worked.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

troofs posted:

Please do this

Most of the information about DRK is either super general or completely awful. Most of the stuff I know about the class came from just guessing and seeing if it worked.

that's how i've been doing it tbh, but yeah it's something i'll work on. i first need to try and get higher on the fflogs board for a9s before i start beating my chest, since my logs are awful

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 21, 2016

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I recently level up Dragoon to match Monk and Ninja and so far my favorite melee DPS is Dragoon. Monk was my second lvl 60 job but I eventually got tired of having to constantly change my skill timing based on the boss. DRG and NIN both are more straightforward in their performance. Minimal positional requirements makes it easier to concentrate on possible fight mechanics and improving your damage output. Monk is still really cool with how active it is.

This is just my personal preference, but I feel Dragoon ironically has more "punch" than Monk when dealing damage. The skills are simple stabs rather than multi strike combos which just feels good. Same for SMN (dreadwyrm mode hell yeah) and BLM.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

that's how i've been doing it tbh, but yeah it's something i'll work on. i first need to try and get higher on the fflogs board for a9s before i start beating my chest, since my logs are awful

Fair enough! I'd still like to see more information about dark knight that isn't blatantly wrong or a general skill guide from the main forums.

While we're talking about DRK, here's something I wasn't sure about. Is it ever worth it to stance dance? I basically only ever tank 4 man content because I'm not especially comfortable with tanking yet. In general it seems like you basically either want to be in grit the whole dungeon (besides dropping grit to use blood weapon on the last couple of mobs of a pack or something) or, if your healer seems like they can do it, be out of grit the whole dungeon. Sometimes you can drop grit on bosses but that's sort of a gamble, sometimes the healer isn't expecting it and you end up taking too much damage, even through cooldowns. But is it ever worth it to use grit + dps rotation to grab aggro instead of using your aggro combo? What about aggro combo w/o grit vs DPS combo + grit? While you're DPSing and doing your rotation on a boss and you want to re-establish some breathing room, threat wise, is it better to use an aggro combo out of grit or use a GCD to go back into grit and keep DPSing? Does any of this change if you have enough mana for dark arts?

I like DRK because it seems pretty cerebral for a tank class, but sometimes I miss the simplicity of DPS. "Do more numbers" is really simple :v:

troofs fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 21, 2016

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

troofs posted:

Fair enough! I'd still like to see more information about dark knight that isn't blatantly wrong or a general skill guide from the main forums.

While we're talking about DRK, here's something I wasn't sure about. Is it ever worth it to stance dance? I basically only ever tank 4 man content because I'm not especially comfortable with tanking yet. In general it seems like you basically either want to be in grit the whole dungeon (besides dropping grit to use blood weapon on the last couple of mobs of a pack or something) or, if your healer seems like they can do it, be out of grit the whole dungeon. Sometimes you can drop grit on bosses but that's sort of a gamble, sometimes the healer isn't expecting it and you end up taking too much damage, even through cooldowns. But is it ever worth it to use grit + dps rotation to grab aggro instead of using your aggro combo? What about aggro combo w/o grit vs DPS combo + grit? While you're DPSing and doing your rotation on a boss and you want to re-establish some breathing room, threat wise, is it better to use an aggro combo out of grit or use a GCD to go back into grit and keep DPSing? Does any of this change if you have enough mana for dark arts?

I like DRK because it seems pretty cerebral for a tank class, but sometimes I miss the simplicity of DPS. "Do more numbers" is really simple :v:

in general, if you need threat regardless of stance, your threat combo is the go-to answer. jumping into and out of grit is bad because that is a huge chunk of your mana that you are then having to regain through bloodprice + siphon strike (and if you're in grit, you lose bloodweapon.)

one of the best things you can do right away to up your dps is switch between delirium and souleater combos during your rotation, for the extra 20 potency (while also not blasting your mana away on Dark Arts'd Souleaters). if you're main tanking, you need to replace delirium with enmity combo to stay ahead of your dps, as long as you're ahead of them, even a little, you're doing fine, but if you lose aggro for any reason you weren't enmity'ing hard enough

you can fit 2 ogcds inbetween gcds so space it out, and keep Scourge lined up with Plunge - they're both 30 seconds cd and doing plunge right before scourge helps you keep track of it easier

always dark arts your carve and spit, always dark arts your souleater, sometimes dark arts dark passenger if you are above 70% mana or if you really need the blind (you don't most of the time and this negatively impacts your blood price). blood weapon + siphon strike will keep your mana afloat forever, never dark arts your enmity combo unless your threat gen is hot garbage because the bonus threat gen isn't worth the mana expenditure. if you dip below 40% mana, stop dark artsing things and regen through blood price / blood weapon / siphon strike. if doing trash things, or even if maintanking and seeing trash get tanked by offtanks, try to Sole Survivor one of the adds for a free heal/mana gain. if you messed up and are really hurting for mana, carve and spit without dark arts regens a healthy amount of mana

your ogcds to keep track of include: low blow (100 potency), dark passenger (150 / 250 potency DA), plunge (200 potency), salted earth (total potency of 525 per target - this is big on trash packs like in a9s/a10s), reprisal (210 potency - only triggers on parry, and you are using dark dance, right?), blood weapon (10% attack speed, mana on hit, and 20% reduced tp consumption), dark arts (makes you big and scary), carve and spit (huge, almost fell cleave style numbers if dark arts, huge mana regen if not), and of course your potion

forgot to mention; the reason you never want to dip below 40% is that is your reserve mana; sometimes you really need a dark arts dark dance or dark mind for survival purposes, and if you drop darkside, even once, your total dps takes a nose dive because you then have to regain mana for something like 10 gcds or more, and then turn it on which drains mana

for posterity, the highest dps for each of the savages on darkknight currently is: 1900 (a9s), 1725 (a10s), 1544 (a11s), and 1554 (a12s), assuming optimal party set up which not all statics are gonna have.

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 21, 2016

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
also, your opener is a huge deal

the standard boss opener if you are offtanking is this:

http://ffxivrotations.com/bjy

darkside on > dark arts prepull at ~3 seconds > pull with unmend > bloodweapon (OGCD) > hard slash > potion > siphon strike > carve and spit (OGCD) > dark arts (OGCD)> souleater > low blow (OGCD) > plunge (OGCD) > scourge > dark passenger (OGCD) > salted earth (OGCD) > hard slash > siphon strike > delirium

what i've been doing for the maintank version of that is replacing the opening souleater combo with enmity combo, then replacing delirium combo with souleater combo, but keeping the OGCD order the same. i feel this can be optimized more, but i need to play around with it

once your opener is out and you're settled into your rotation, its a matter of pressing ogcds as they come up, exception salted earth which if there's adds, you want to time at least one of those for that pack; so for example, on a10s i would use salted earth every GCD on the boss, avoid using it on the scrapline add, and make sure i save it for the three add trash pack

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 21, 2016

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
Thanks! That's all really really helpful.

From context, I take it that it's always better to be out of grit (if your gear/healer can handle it) unless you start to take a lot of damage? Is this still true if you're maintanking?

e: I only ask because I've seen a lot of suggested openers that start with grit on and then drop it

1900 (a9s), 1725 (a10s)

:eyepop: yowza

troofs fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 21, 2016

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

troofs posted:

Thanks! That's all really helpful.

From context, I take it that it's almost always better to be out of grit (if your gear/healer can handle it) unless you start to take a lot of damage? Is this still true if you're maintanking?

e: I only ask because I've seen a lot of suggested openers that start with grit on and then drop it

:eyepop: yowza

you can open with grit and then drop it if you're feeling scared of your parties' enmity gain, it has no real negative side effect other decreased damage for however long its up, and also using up a gcd i think, i honestly can't remember if dropping grit eats a gcd or not

you do want to turn on grit if you are about to take really, really high damage: example, fullmetal faust in a9s, or gobslice mooncrops (the big 16k raidwide aoe in phase 3 of a10s - turning grit on and then off afterwards mitigates the healing needed for you and your healers will appreciate it while learning the fight), or if you need immediate aggro (again, fullmetal faust in a9s or the scrapline add in a10s)

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
Awesome, thank you. That's all really good information.

I'm looking forward to your video guide now :v:

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Shouldn't you use Salted Earth asap, like where Low Blow is in your opener, since the potency is so high? I've always considered low blow the lowest priority OGCD since it has a chance to come back really quickly anyways.

I appreciate the offtanking info though, I'm working on improving my overreliance on Grit.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

troofs posted:

Awesome, thank you. That's all really good information.

I'm looking forward to your video guide now :v:

i'm scripting it out right now, slow work day

question: if i were to include meters in my video as a learning tool, would that be something that could be actionable against me as a third party tool?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Shouldn't you use Salted Earth asap, like where Low Blow is in your opener, since the potency is so high? I've always considered low blow the lowest priority OGCD since it has a chance to come back really quickly anyways.

I appreciate the offtanking info though, I'm working on improving my overreliance on Grit.

this is a good question that i don't have the answer to, but the answer is probably yes, i didn't think about that; i'll test it out when i get home today

e: actually i know the answer to this kind of;

if you use salted earth early in your rotation on a9s, it will not be up for the adds that spawn ~20s into the fight, and you can pad your numbers out using it on the 6 adds + boss

on a10s the answer is probably yes and i'll test it out tonight

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

One dumb thing about Dragoon is that learning the Lv. 58 skill literally does nothing but make playing it that much more complicated with zero benefit. Hopefully this is one of the "less useful skills" they plan on addressing with Stormblood.

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 21, 2016

• Locked thread