Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
In the age of Ex-Aid, who would have thought video games would return to the world of Double...

https://twitter.com/TV4D/status/789320583041331200?lang=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Emu is still less of a saltine cracker than takeru imo

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

DoctorWhat posted:

In the age of Ex-Aid, who would have thought video games would return to the world of Double...

Goddamn beautiful

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Twelve Elves posted:

Goddamn beautiful

Agreed, although it feels like it's in reverse for a Henshin sequence

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

drrockso20 posted:

Agreed, although it feels like it's in reverse for a Henshin sequence

That won't stop me from yelling "CYCLONE! JOKER!" whenever I slide on the controller dongles.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Vise the Stompy posted:

What about Decade's "Please watch our movie it will really explain things *It Didn't*" or Ryuki's "Lets keep resetting things in the movie/special to see if something satisfying sticks *Not really*". Looking back at a lot of the early Heisei's to Decade I can say one thing about all the shows after them. For all the terrible faults the likes of Wizard or Ghost had, at least they learned to have a definitive conclusion.

I agree with Twelve by Pies, Faiz's ending was Just That Bad. Even if Decade's movies didn't explain poo poo, they were still fun.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Best way to handle Faiz is to go about halfway through the series and then go watch Paradise Lost, only downside is no Delta

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Best way to handle Faiz is to go about halfway through the series and then go watch Paradise Lost, only downside is no Delta

That movie was not great and has basically nothing to do with the show

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Megabeast Empire has finished Juspion

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
When the gently caress did that happen!

I checked them just a month ago and they were still only in the 30s

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

DoctorWhat posted:

Is that Kanji?

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
I've watched most of the Heisei rider series but I haven't seen any other toku series all the way through besides... Cutey Honey: The Live.

I saw that Ultraman Orb was on Crunchyroll so I checked out the first episode! This might be the first Ultraman I see all the way through, so I might need some Ultra recommendations from y'all once I catch up.

TheComicFiend fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 23, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheComicFiend posted:

I've watched most of the Heisei rider series but I haven't seen any other toku series all the way through besides... Cutey Honey: The Live.

I saw that Ultraman Orb was on Crunchyroll so I checked out the first episode! This might be the first Ultraman I see all the way through, so I might need some Ultra recommendations from y'all once I catch up.

Depending how much you liked the more serious Heisei Rider, Ultraman Nexus is a fantastic show to pick up.

X is kind of more similar to Orb without any of the bite that Orb has. Mebius is a slightly more consistent Orb, without going as serious as Orb can venture, but never going as silly. ...sort of.

Gaia pains me. I love Gaia's suits and monsters and the idea of the plot but loving Christ there are so many goddamn characters I cannot relate to any of them. It's just a mess. It's also got some weird tone issues early on.

Max is a fantastic show to just pick random episodes of. It's the closest thing to an anthology series you've got, and outside of the handful of two parters, any episode basically stands on its own. Really hard to marathon for those same reasons though

Ginga is trash. Ginga S is apparently better

That covers all of the modern Ultra series on Crunchyroll. Ultraman Leo is a treat that is just a joy to behold. Ultraman 80 is...not sure what it wants to be ever.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I feel like all I would have to do is should "Ultraman" loud enough, and Burkion would jump out of the bushes with a powerpoint presentation and a flowchart.

If I ever got around to watching an Ultra series, though, I'd probably go for one of the ones you recommend.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You guys just better be happy Bioman doesn't have an extended history and multiple series or else I'd never shut up

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Ultraman could be a really cool and good franchise if it didn't have awful suit design and wasn't mostly mediocre series.

I mean when it works it's pretty good but boy it's got a real low batting average.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ex-Aid is a lot of fun as a show but god drat is its theme song top notch. Full version onegaishimasu.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

You guys just better be happy Bioman doesn't have an extended history and multiple series or else I'd never shut up

You never shut up about it anyway. :v:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Burkion posted:

There's probably a universe out there where Bioman ended up as the first Super Sentai to be adapted as Power Rangers, as that was the first one Saban tried to bring over back in the 80's(and similarly Marvel had been trying since Sun Vulcan)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

I feel like all I would have to do is should "Ultraman" loud enough, and Burkion would jump out of the bushes with a powerpoint presentation and a flowchart.

If I ever got around to watching an Ultra series, though, I'd probably go for one of the ones you recommend.

Mebius is great, you should watch it. My only real complaint is that i kind of wish the Hesei Ultras could have gotten some focus in that series as well.

Related, during my current series watch I've found I kind of like it better when the protagonist literally is just the Ultraman in a human form as opposed to merely serving as a host body. Mostly due to the fact that typically in the case of the latter the Ultra themselves kind of becomes a non-entity after the intial contact. Some shows are better at handling this than others though (like in X where the two actually felt like equal partners which should be the basis that all future shows that use the human host angle should follow, and to a much lesser extent Cosmos).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 23, 2016

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Larryb posted:

In fact, as I understand it, the entire reason Decade exists at all is that they wanted to do a shorter series to buy time and celebrate the upcoming anniversary as otherwise we would have gone straight from Kiva to W (which was already in production by the time the former was ending).

I've heard, I don't know how true this is, that part of the reason Decade was short was so that Kamen Rider and Super Sentai would no longer be starting at the same time, resulting in a massive flood of toys, and staggering it so they start at different times was done to spread out the toy releases a bit.

And yes, I absolutely put Faiz's ending as worse than Ryuki's or Decade's.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Ex-Aid is a lot of fun as a show but god drat is its theme song top notch. Full version onegaishimasu.

Seriously, I want the full version of Excite ASAP. I gotta believe it will come out soon.

Twelve by Pies posted:

And yes, I absolutely put Faiz's ending as worse than Ryuki's or Decade's.

Ryuki's ending is pretty good so long as you ignore the very last part of it. Everyone dies, no one wins, all of it was worthless poo poo, war is bad, Shinji was right and he gets to die for it. It's a perfect tragic ending. And then it just has to loving reset because we need a happy ending apparently.

And somehow, even that is still better than Faiz' complete non-ending.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Slight change of gears- I've managed to get my wife to watch Ultraman Orb with me but that also means I gotta wait for her.

Meanwhile, Dairanger is the first sentai series I committed to watching but at the time HON & H-S had only gotten started so I'm finally gonna tackle that.
Dairanger's suits have always been super appealing to me. MMPR's white ranger has nothing to do with it I swear
:ssh:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Seriously, I want the full version of Excite ASAP. I gotta believe it will come out soon.

Ryuki's ending is pretty good so long as you ignore the very last part of it. Everyone dies, no one wins, all of it was worthless poo poo, war is bad, Shinji was right and he gets to die for it. It's a perfect tragic ending. And then it just has to loving reset because we need a happy ending apparently.

And somehow, even that is still better than Faiz' complete non-ending.

Personally I despise tragic endings in superhero fiction, it just feels completely unfitting to the genre

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Burkion posted:

Doesn't it have some massive Brazil following complete with homebrew comic books and RPG systems? And like a Malaysian English dub or something?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

Personally I despise tragic endings in superhero fiction, it just feels completely unfitting to the genre

I disagree if the show itself is meant to be a tragedy.

Like, Kamen Rider Black earned its ending when it could focus on the storyline. Everything about Black was building up to that ending, the failure to save Nobiko, and the final ruin of Kotaro's family.

A show that mostly pulls a tragic or sad ending out of loving nowhere is another matter though.

Light Gun Man posted:

Doesn't it have some massive Brazil following complete with homebrew comic books and RPG systems? And like a Malaysian English dub or something?

Believe me, if I could find those comics I loving would.

I have found the English dub and it is glorious. loving love that Dub. That's actually how I was introduced to Bioman as my first Sentai back in like, the mid 2000s. Bootleg DVDs of the dub.

It's kind of funny what countries have a massive hard-on for what Toku. France in particular was pretty drat into Space Sheriff Gavan for whatever reason

Burkion fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 24, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Burkion posted:

I disagree if the show itself is meant to be a tragedy.

Like, Kamen Rider Black earned its ending when it could focus on the storyline.

I'm glad we agree that Kamen Rider Black earned nothing.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

TheComicFiend posted:

Cutey Honey: The Live.

Oh man I forgot about that. I recall rather enjoying that series. On the other hand, I was also a huge edgelord in my early 20s and Sister Miki resonated with that. I also liked the white guy who screams "poo poo!".

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Cutie Honey: The Live features Kohei Murakami somehow out Kusaka-ing himself.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

drrockso20 posted:

There's probably a universe out there where Bioman ended up as the first Super Sentai to be adapted as Power Rangers, as that was the first one Saban tried to bring over back in the 80's(and similarly Marvel had been trying since Sun Vulcan)

I have the feeling if Saban could get it on the air as early as he could that the show would have been very different, and basically something like that comedy dub taken seriously. Think voices dubbed over Japanese actors with butt rock riffs like early Rita's Castle sequences. The year long seasons and deluge of one-note monster episodes where nothing happens would allow them to filter out the stuff that's just too cornball.

On that note, I just want to say: I love drama in sentai and dig it when enemy generals are turning against each other, the good guys mentors get killed off in battle, etc; and while there are some early shows that do that kind of drama well like the Queen Hedrian story in Sun Vulcan or the soap opera aspects of Liveman, they also have episodes that cause me to double over laughing at the poo poo effects right after the ones that make me feel.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm glad we agree that Kamen Rider Black earned nothing.

This is unrelated to anything, but I miss your older avatar

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So based on the preview, is next week's Zyuohger the first time Sentai has ever done an episode that was explicitly Halloween themed before? I know a few other Toku shows like Ultraman Tiga have done them before but I don't really remember ever seeing one in this franchise (though then again Haloween didn't really become a big thing in Japan until fairly recently so that's probably why).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 24, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Burkion posted:

This is unrelated to anything, but I miss your older avatar

I won a contest so I got to get a big avatar and I had lost the original for my old one so I was forced to confront conformity.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
https://twitter.com/njpw1972/status/790726556792467456

Tanahashi is going to be a villain in Heisei Generations!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't wanna know how long 'soon' is. :( But til then it just keeps on looping on my PC or in my head.

Also, goddamn, is [Kamen Rider Heisei Generations: Dr. Pac-Man Versus Ex-Aid and Ghost with Legend Riders] the longest movie title ever? I love it but it is a mouthful.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

John McClane posted:

owns owns OWNS

Give me more toku/wrestling crossovers immediately.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

John McClane posted:

I haven't been this excited for a Kamen Rider movie since Movie War Ultimatum. :allears:

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1429448857/fujiyama-ichiban-ultimate?ref=hero_thanks

After Mighty Number 9 I'm more than a little wary to throw money at KS Projects but this might be a neat thing to keep an eye on.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, what's the over-under on how many episodes it takes Emu and bike-rear end in a top hat to actually become partners? 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Catching up on Ex-Aid while I wait for jury duty. Show is dope af. Palette Swap Ex-Aid in level 1 is basically the best design

• Locked thread