Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nuru
Oct 10, 2012

That notice on the door was pretty weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

nuru posted:

That notice on the door was pretty weird.

Once I got my own poo poo figured out I'll start dishing dirt.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

should've gone for 13 :barf:s

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

my bad, it was 13 criticals

It's 'The Producers' of restaurants. There's gotta be some kind of scam where it profits them to fail health inspections. Also, thanks for the advice!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

As long as we're on health violation chat:

So if a place gets shut down due to violations, even if only temporarily, do all the employees pretty much get screwed for that period of time? Can they apply for unemployment or something?

I ask because I quit my job, and I'd love nothing more than to get all OSHA/Dept of Health on them now that there's no fear of reprisal (you thought Shups's place was bad? Ohhh, do I have stories). But I'd feel bad putting my hard-working former colleagues out of jobs. It's not their fault the place is such a poo poo show, it's the management.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

As long as we're on health violation chat:

So if a place gets shut down due to violations, even if only temporarily, do all the employees pretty much get screwed for that period of time? Can they apply for unemployment or something?

I ask because I quit my job, and I'd love nothing more than to get all OSHA/Dept of Health on them now that there's no fear of reprisal (you thought Shups's place was bad? Ohhh, do I have stories). But I'd feel bad putting my hard-working former colleagues out of jobs. It's not their fault the place is such a poo poo show, it's the management.

Assuming you've been somewhere a minimum amount of time usually the only way you can be denied unemployment is if you quit or you're fired with cause.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Do it for the health of the public. Is it really hard to find kitchen work where you are? And the thing is, if they get popped by an inspection, they have time to comply and get their poo poo together, so they'd have plenty of hours to help clean up even if is shut down. It'd clearly have to be really loving terrible to get shut down outright.

Also tell some stories bc stories are good and knowing they're true (unlike PYF threads rife with stdh.txt) makes them even better.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

I'm glad for you, it sounds like you were in a rough place.

You can't get unemployment for a quit, though. You CAN get employment at basically any institutional place like a hospital or hotel. DO THIS DO THIS DO THIS. You will see silliness as you will everywhere else, but you wont have sociopathic bipolar borderline axe murderers maddogging you. You can just know that.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Do it for the health of the public. Is it really hard to find kitchen work where you are?

Its not the public, she works(worked) in a DFAC iirc, which is military. Which means that the military is probably the major employer where she's at. Which is why she should really look into institutions which typically coexist with those things

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
If you feel bad for your former colleagues then act as a loving reference for them goddammit. I don't know a single dish pit anywhere that isn't currently at least looking

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
I don't know which military town JD is working in, but we're always hiring in dish if it's my military town!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'm tired of this poo poo. If I'm scheduled from x to y and I try to leave when it's busy I'm told "welcome to the industry. Get back to work."

I came into the dishpit today to find nobody working in there, line has 3 pans, no main plates or pasta bowls or salad bowls or small side plates and ect... I tell both my supervisors that dinner rush is starting right about now, there's no way I'm gonna be able to keep up. I get shrugs from both of them. Well, actually I did get less than 10 minutes of help before he disappeared back to line whoopee poo poo. Meanwhile a supervisor and two prep people just clock out and go home. Leaving me scraping together 2 of each plate at a time and trying to keep everything in Stock. What the gently caress.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Don't roll over. Tell them your schedule's as good as a contract, and if extended hours wasn't in your job description, thanks for the unemployment while you find a new job.

In other news, bonded bourbon is good.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
"Welcome to the industry? Welcome to my two weeks' notice, fucko~"

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Canuck-Errant posted:

"Welcome to the industry? Welcome to my two weeks' notice, fucko~"

Someone who pulls that poo poo isn't worth 2 weeks. Find replacement job, walk out of accepting new gig, call old place and quit on the spot.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
hahahahaha holy poo poo you're dish and someone's giving you "welcome to the industry" poo poo?

Yeah, Welcome To The Industry To You Too Buddy *gets another dish job on short notice and now the line has to clean their own pans in the weeds*

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
"Welcome To The Industry" is for newbie line cooks who just worked through Baby's First Weeds and approach you with gaunt eyes--your forearms slick with a couple animals hemoglobins prepping out their proteins--still processing the vestiges of a rolling 3-hour panic attack with an empty nine pan in hand saying in a tremulous voice "we need more minced parsely!!" for all the world like you're the kind of prick who's gonna help them in their moment of idleness while they gently caress off for their third smoke break of the service.

it is NOT for dishwashers who wish to leave in regs.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
Oh... you think the dish pit is your ally. But you merely adopted the dish pit; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the line until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING!

The dish pit betrays you, because it belongs to me!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Thank you, Willie Tomg for saying what I wanted to - only better.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Thank you, The One True Heezy for saying what i wanted to - only better

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The scheduling thing has been fixed, I got right tired of being told I was staying late when I punched in. Especially the night when the manager was all "I'm short staffed FoH, you're staying till close." That's when I put an end to that poo poo. The hell do servers have to with dish? Just schedule me till close, and if I go home 2 or 3 hours early I'll be happy. If I'm scheduled to leave and stay an extra 2 or 3 hours I'm pissy.

The current complaint is that I walked into a poo poo show with with the only plates in Stock being gluten free plates. Told the supervisors that without help I wouldn't even be able to get dishes out fast enough to even start. It was such a poo poo show, ticket times were 80+ minutes. Meanwhile 3 people clocked out and went home. That was the first shift in at least a year where I've worked 3.5 hours without a break, just because I couldn't carve out 5 minutes. I was washing the prep dishes an hour and a half after close :haw:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
"We're just going to keep getting dinged a critical every time the inspectors come here until it gets fixed, which-- *disinterested shrug*"

- slop shop kitchen manager at a mandatory BOH meeting that was skipped by 2 of the 4 people working when we got the inspection

The General posted:

The current complaint is that I walked into a poo poo show with with the only plates in Stock being gluten free plates. Told the supervisors that without help I wouldn't even be able to get dishes out fast enough to even start. It was such a poo poo show, ticket times were 80+ minutes. Meanwhile 3 people clocked out and went home. That was the first shift in at least a year where I've worked 3.5 hours without a break, just because I couldn't carve out 5 minutes. I was washing the prep dishes an hour and a half after close :haw:

I know this feeling so well. at this point i'm so used to not getting breaks that i just don't take them.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Glad you got the scheduling sorted out, but if they start falling behind like this on a regular basis they need someone else to pitch in on dish. If they try to guilt you into coming in early to work I hope you laugh at them, especially if they suggest you do it off the clock to "help them out just this once."

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Glad you got the scheduling sorted out, but if they start falling behind like this on a regular basis they need someone else to pitch in on dish. If they try to guilt you into coming in early to work I hope you laugh at them, especially if they suggest you do it off the clock to "help them out just this once."

I would never work off the clock*. I would show up early. I would rather work an extra 3 hours at the start of my shift and always be caught up, and have time to sit down and break time.

*I will clock out 15min early, so I can squeeze in more smoke breaks and not worry about managers crying about labour times.

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
Reading stuff like that makes me feel so spoiled. We have an inspection tomorrow morning, so of course we were on cleaning mode today. Except we were understaffed and at the moment they're being very stingy with the overtime. So basically we were told to clean what we could and then go home. Our chef and sous chef stayed behind cleaning the kitchen and the fridge.

On an unrelated note, my sous told me two days ago he thinks he sees a bright future for me at the fish station. So he's gonna test me for a couple of days (I don't know when, because high season is nearly here and they wouldn't risk putting me there yet). But I'm gonna need a good fillet knife. Does anyone have any recommendations?

odinson
Mar 17, 2009

The General posted:

I walked into a poo poo show with with the only plates in Stock being gluten free plates.

The fact that you have dedicated plates for GF items is new to me. I work at a pizza place that has GF dough and even a dedicated oven. We have the standard disclaimer on the menu insert to cover our asses. If you tell your server you have a legit allergy, we'll go the whole nine and change aprons, gloves, use untouched ingredients, and cut it separately on the once a month occasion it happens. For the most part though, it is a dietary preference. We'll keep them away from away from other wheat ingredients, but not be anal about it.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
How the hell do you know you have an inspection?

That poo poo is random as gently caress in NC. It's always after 3 months here at some point.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Hobo Camp posted:

Reading stuff like that makes me feel so spoiled. We have an inspection tomorrow morning, so of course we were on cleaning mode today. Except we were understaffed and at the moment they're being very stingy with the overtime. So basically we were told to clean what we could and then go home. Our chef and sous chef stayed behind cleaning the kitchen and the fridge.

On an unrelated note, my sous told me two days ago he thinks he sees a bright future for me at the fish station. So he's gonna test me for a couple of days (I don't know when, because high season is nearly here and they wouldn't risk putting me there yet). But I'm gonna need a good fillet knife. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Not to be That Guy, but as long as the blade is sharp and the fish is clean and dry, you can fillet with a chef knife.

That being said, a LONG FLEXIBLE BONER does wonders :getin:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Dunno about government inspections, but for private inspections like Ecosure and such you hear through the grapevine that another property/franchise up the road got hit yesterday and are due in tomorrow and things like that.

Sometimes ownership just has an In, too. At another place I worked the ice machine died and we kept the honest-to-god icebox in the men's shitter. I saw the owner and health inspector being all chummy in one walkthrough after clearly doing a line or three in the office. It is quite a thing to be health inspected by a dude wearing stunna shades indoors I tell ya what.

We got a 90.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Got to fire my first employee today. Kid hasn't shown up on time a single day since he started here like two weeks ago, and he called in sick maybe three times in those two weeks. We didn't expect him to show today, but he did. Thirty minutes late and he lost his toque. All he wanted to do was eat and sear fish, and he routinely complained when he wasn't doing those things. Finally realized I have the power to give people the axe, so I did. And it felt good.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Off there top of my head there are two people I would fire immediately if I had the power to. One of them is the chronically late shift lead who managed to be late while simultaneously being an hour early.

A rush started so he was helping in the kitchen while also cooking his lunch. His time to start hits and he leaves to go smoke and eat. He wasn't clocked in so the person he was relieving couldn't cash out or leave until he came back.

He also got someone to cover his shift on Saturday, then came in for about 3 hours to eat and read a book during that scheduled shift.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

The General posted:

I'm tired of this poo poo. If I'm scheduled from x to y and I try to leave when it's busy I'm told "welcome to the industry. Get back to work."

I came into the dishpit today to find nobody working in there, line has 3 pans, no main plates or pasta bowls or salad bowls or small side plates and ect... I tell both my supervisors that dinner rush is starting right about now, there's no way I'm gonna be able to keep up. I get shrugs from both of them. Well, actually I did get less than 10 minutes of help before he disappeared back to line whoopee poo poo. Meanwhile a supervisor and two prep people just clock out and go home. Leaving me scraping together 2 of each plate at a time and trying to keep everything in Stock. What the gently caress.

I got "welcome!" during a dish gig where I had to train someone. On my first night. Incidentally, it was also my last night. I usually take it as a sign that the place is badly managed and they can't be arsed to fix it, and instead blame it on some kind of nebulous natural order of things.

I'm glad the schedule thing is sorted, but that line always grates on me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A hahahahaha, I'm finally out of this business and have an adult job. When I'm not drunk posting from my phone I'll give a run down on all the horrible poo poo at Rudy's Can't Fail Cafe. It's mostly management poo poo, not disgusting kitchens

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

A Man and his dog posted:

That poo poo is random as gently caress in NC. It's always after 3 months here at some point.

Where I am, we have inspections roughly every 6 months. So at the 5 1/2 month point, you ramp the cleaning way up, and clean everything that normally doesn't get cleaned (ceiling tiles, for example), and everyone gets reminded of all the rules and you're checking all the time to make sure no one forgot to put a date on something. This goes on for weeks until the inspection finally comes. Then we go back to normal for 5+ months.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Skwirl posted:

A hahahahaha, I'm finally out of this business and have an adult job. When I'm not drunk posting from my phone I'll give a run down on all the horrible poo poo at Rudy's Can't Fail Cafe. It's mostly management poo poo, not disgusting kitchens

:justpost: :f5:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Skwirl posted:

Congrats dude! I'm excited for the horror stories.

On an unrelated note I just put the deposit down on a swanky 1700 Sq ft loft in LA (technically San Pedro but gently caress it). Should get the keys Nov 18. I'm getting excited to move.

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.

A Man and his dog posted:

It's not a government inspection or a department of health inspection. Sorry, I should have specified. I work for a really fancy hotel chain and the #2 boss is visiting. So the executive chef and sous chef are doing an inspection of every kitchen. Your basic "the boss is here, so we need to pretend everything always looks this perfect all the time!!!!!! hahaha. girls make sure you wear make up" bullshit.

Verisimilidude posted:

Got to fire my first employee today. Kid hasn't shown up on time a single day since he started here like two weeks ago, and he called in sick maybe three times in those two weeks. We didn't expect him to show today, but he did. Thirty minutes late and he lost his toque. All he wanted to do was eat and sear fish, and he routinely complained when he wasn't doing those things. Finally realized I have the power to give people the axe, so I did. And it felt good.

We have a guy like that but he's somehow managed to last 10 years. He isn't always late, but he shows up high every day. On his lunch break he just goes to sit in his car and gets high again. We literally have no idea how he still has a job.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
before menu change:

6 oz burger - 7.50
with cheese - 8.00
extra patty - 2.50

already pretty goofy, right?

after menu change:

8 oz burger - 8.30
with cheese - 8.80
extra patty - 2.50

so unless i don't get math (very possible), we increased the portion size by 33% and increased prices by ~10%, not even across the board. you can now get a pound of ground beef for $5 from a restaurant. that's like grocery store prices and we even prepare it for you. like am i fundamentally not understanding food cost or ? because this seems goofy as goat poo poo

Hobo Camp posted:

He isn't always late, but he shows up high every day

do i work with you? because that's basically every cook at the 'straunt except sub drunk for weed for half of them (i'm in the weed half)

like legit halfway through day shift they literally go out back and blaze up for ~20 minutes. management fired a night guy who they caught but that was years ago

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Oh god. last time I was there, it was on a date. It did not go well.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Rudy's seemed fine for what it is outside of the menu being one of those horrifying lists of all foods possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

before menu change:

6 oz burger - 7.50
with cheese - 8.00
extra patty - 2.50

already pretty goofy, right?

after menu change:

8 oz burger - 8.30
with cheese - 8.80
extra patty - 2.50

so unless i don't get math (very possible), we increased the portion size by 33% and increased prices by ~10%, not even across the board. you can now get a pound of ground beef for $5 from a restaurant. that's like grocery store prices and we even prepare it for you. like am i fundamentally not understanding food cost or ? because this seems goofy as goat poo poo

Very few people actually get a double burger at 8oz patties in my experience so it's maintaining "it's the same price its always been!" while jacking up the cost of things most people actually buy.

My place did the same when they changed prices but kept extra meat the same.

• Locked thread