Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
With Take-Two on board, does that mean we might see a RDR2 port? GTA6 on a Nintendo console? I'm really crossing my fingers that the NS third party support isn't like the Wii U's which consisted of a few months of old ports before abandonment.

In other news:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

limaCAT posted:

Hi permabanned user koopastomper.

Who?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Teikanmi posted:

So does this mean Nintendo is a full generation behind now :lol:
What do you mean 'now'? They've literally been doing this for ten years.

Also we still have no actual specs for the system so anything people are saying is guess work.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Philip Rivers posted:

The closest thing we have is the Shield Tablet which retails for $200.

And people are suggesting this thing will be viable for the CoDs and the hot new third party releases. :allears:

Just like they did in 2006 and 2012. I guarantee it'll have an incredibly barebones port of a CoD game (probably not Infinite Warfare) and a handful of other early gen ports, and that'll be it.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

wicka posted:

i am baffled that you are discussing it and it still makes zero sense why such a thing bothers you. you keep saying things like you're "just curious why they'd use choppy footage in their hardware reveal." the answer is that literally everything else in the ad was more important to focus on. it's a brand new concept with a brand new name. the point of the ad is to sell those things, explain how it works, explain why you'd want the device. not to illustrate gameplay quality. the gameplay video got no more than a passing glance because it's of literally no importance. does that answer your question yet?

Rotfl at the Nintendo switch sdk being so poo poo that even the cherry picked Zelda breath of the wild demo segment has massive slowdowns.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Final hot take: I think the Switch is gonna rule. It's the obvious logical endpoint of the last decade plus of Nintendo's hardware philosophy dating back to hooking up GBAs to your Gamecube. The Wii U was always a little confusing but I think it's more of a false start in retrospect than a botched idea altogether, and now that mobile chips are both powerful and cheap enough, Nintendo has finally figured out how to seamlessly merge the handheld and console experience. This is gonna be the biggest driver of handheld/mobile gaming since the iPhone.

Steve2911 posted:

And people are suggesting this thing will be viable for the CoDs and the hot new third party releases. :allears:

Just like they did in 2006 and 2012. I guarantee it'll have an incredibly barebones port of a CoD game (probably not Infinite Warfare) and a handful of other early gen ports, and that'll be it.

Consider something like this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smachteam/smach-z-the-handheld-gaming-pc and if you don't think Nintendo working directly with Nvidia to produce a custom, cutting edge mobile chip can't outdo that, you're wrong.

Philip Rivers fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 21, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It will outdo the Smach because Ive seen a video of it in action and every game runs at like 2 fps including 2D pixel art games

If the Switch ends up being Android someone needs to work out how to sideload an app that can work with Steam game streaming or NVidia's game streaming

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Philip Rivers posted:

Consider something like this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smachteam/smach-z-the-handheld-gaming-pc and if you don't think Nintendo working directly with Nvidia to produce a custom, cutting edge mobile chip can't outdo that, you're wrong.

Yeah hopefully it can run Castle Crashers and ugly ports at 20fps.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

A significant number of people care nothing about Nintendo consoles and care a decent amount about Nintendo handhelds so compromising one for the other would be a bad move imo.

I agree, but I don't think the Switch is going to compete with the 3DS. As ridiculous as it sounds, I think the Switch is a Home Console that you can play anywhere, while the 3DS is a dedicated handheld console, there's a distinction. The two screens alone (unless the tablet bit can be used like a gamepad) will keep them separate, I think.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
This is cool in the same way a toy car is cool that can turn into a robot, but as a console I am not so sure I am convinced. Wonder how sturdy it is or if there will be creaking when holding the handheld/controller. Joy-Con gimmick seems ridiculous. Otherwise great as always.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Assuming this bit of fluff from the Nvidia blog is actually true:

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/ posted:

Nintendo Switch is powered by the performance of the custom Tegra processor. The high-efficiency scalable processor includes an NVIDIA GPU based on the same architecture as the world’s top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards.

That would mean that it's Pascal based, which the Tegra X2 is. We've already seen (admittedly underclocked) Tegra X1 tablets with the Pixel C so it'll be at least that powerful i.e. a bit shy of Xbox One, but the X1 is Maxwell based. If it's packing an X2 it'll be even more powerful than that, which could be really rad.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Quest For Glory II posted:

ePicross is gonna be so much better on 720p screen, no more fuckin 25x20 max puzzles, gimme that 50x50 motherfuckers

Yeah.

katkillad2 posted:

Now you've done it, here come the crazies who are going to be pissed it doesn't have 1TB internal memory and don't know how to use an external hard drive or have an extra SD card lying around.

Is anything that warrants a full install of a game when you buy said game on a card?

LethalGeek posted:

We are long past the days that every game needs to have AAA time spend on graphics long as it looks fine, so stop stressing such things.

I personally would be happy if japanese developers stopped depicting grasslands with a blurry texture, caves with blurry textures with brown rocks, and rivers as flat textures. I would like them to look more polished like paper mario 3ds.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
For a first reveal it looks pretty dope.

The name alone is a hundred times better than "WiiU", and having an actually unique gimmick that nobody else has done before vs slapping a tablet onto a controller is a much better selling point.

All you guys talking about specs are ignoring the fact that specs are simply the limits that developers have to work in, and regardless of what the specs are, it's actually using the hardware in cool and fun ways that count, not how to best up the particle count and increase texture resolution.

Anyway, my one big problem right now is that it looks like it doesn't support backwards compatibility, which is a big downer as there are more than a few WiiU games I haven't put as much time into as I want to, and there are millions of people out there who simply never picked up a WiiU and don't know what they're missing.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

LethalGeek posted:

All the processing power in the other 2 consoles didn't produce Splatoon,

38 viewers on twitch

LethalGeek posted:

the best loving shooter since idk Counter Strike?

10000+ viewers on twitch

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Guys

What if

When the tablet is docked

You can break out your iPad or Android tablet

Go on the App/Play Store

And download an "interface" app for your Switch game

Which allows you to use touch controls when the thing is docked.

That would be kind of cool imo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's not a touch screen, is it? They'd have demonstrated it if it was surely.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

There's little reason to believe it isn't IPS multitouch. I think that's kind of just par for the course with tablet devices these days, like it doesn't really need to be said, does it?

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

current credible rumors say that it is a touch screen and the joycons support motion control, and they didn't show those off in order to avoid diluting their message.

same people say that the tablet is 720p and when docked it runs 1080p fyi

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Nintendo themselves have refused to comment on the issue of the touchscreen when asked so it's still sorta up in the air.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

youcallthatatwist posted:

current credible rumors say that it is a touch screen and the joycons support motion control

So the two interchangeable modes will have drastically different functions and control schemes?

Good idea.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/MasaMackey/status/789138952116695040

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Not all games have to use touch or motion control, you know. But you can have it as an option for developers, and that's not a bad thing.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

So the two interchangeable modes will have drastically different functions and control schemes?

Good idea.

https://twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/789129166746685440

https://twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/789129519672225792

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

We don't know for sure yet. It's possible but seems unlikely because you can't use the tablet at all while it's docked.

I do hope we get some more info in the next few weeks, rather than January or whenever that WSJ guy tweeted. It'd be nice to know what the storage capacity of the thing is, and if it's expandable with SDHX cards or whatever. It's reasonable to assume considering the Wii, 3DS and WiiU all use SD or MicroSD. Maybe external HDs will be possible while docked also.

I'm not overly concerned about the specs of the thing. I have a PS4 but it has so many games that "look" great but aren't actually great. If the Switch can keep some good 3rd party support (and not like what happened with the WiiU where we got AC3 and Deus Ex, and then nothing). I'd love to see more of what we got on WiiU though, like more Platinum games, another #FE (or something similar).

I may get a Switch at launch, I don't normally buy consoles at launch but I will probably get one eventually. I know the launch window will probably suck, but it still looks like a neat piece of hardware, considering I play games quite a bit at home and while not at home. Plus, if you can get extra docks for a reasonable enough price it would really suit me.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/Michaelschnei15/status/789247795488296960

Well, since From Software is doing something for the Switch...

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
For what it's worth, I think the Switch has a much better chance of holding down third-party support than the wii u. Its primary function - a more portable home console - is much more inherently appealing than the gimmicky tablet controller. In an ideal world, the tablet will be strong enough to run third party games like skyrim and dark souls without a hitch, in which case this thing will sell like hotcakes. Then again, this is Nintendo, so who knows.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Really, the Wii U just feels like a false start for the Switch because they couldn't get the technology working well enough before it became clear they needed to replace the Wii.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

The guy who went "It's... (shrugs) it's a good idea" filled me with confidence

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

youcallthatatwist posted:

For what it's worth, I think the Switch has a much better chance of holding down third-party support than the wii u. Its primary function - a more portable home console - is much more inherently appealing than the gimmicky tablet controller. In an ideal world, the tablet will be strong enough to run third party games like skyrim and dark souls without a hitch, in which case this thing will sell like hotcakes. Then again, this is Nintendo, so who knows.
I still don't understand what's so "gimmicky" about the tablet controller. I mean, it's there for if people want to use it (e.g. in TMS #FE - although maybe off-tv would have been better there). It has completely standard buttons which you'd find on other controllers, just with a touchscreen in the middle. Otherwise it can be used for off-tv play. You can play a lot of WiiU games with the Pro controller, even things like W101 which does use the gamepad for some functions.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 21, 2016

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

This looks gimmicky as hell but if it gets new mainline pokemon and fire emblem games or whatever then I dont care, since unlike with wii motion controls this should not dictate gameplay much. The 3ds was a gimmick too yet i still play it, just at home and with 3d off.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jsor posted:

Really, the Wii U just feels like a false start for the Switch because they couldn't get the technology working well enough before it became clear they needed to replace the Wii.

But the switch is sort of a step backwards for technology, right? The WiiU had to drive two screens, one of them wirelessly. The switch is just essentially a high end android tablet with an HDMI pass through dock and detachable bluetooth controllers.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It's really not a gimmick for them to double down on the one use case for the Wii U that everyone really loved. I mean, is there a scenario where someone would say "I'm tired of these games being portable" or even "this game is great but the portability is forced/unnecessary"?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Argue posted:

It's really not a gimmick for them to double down on the one use case for the Wii U that everyone really loved. I mean, is there a scenario where someone would say "I'm tired of these games being portable" or even "this game is great but the portability is forced/unnecessary"?
I've got no horse in this race so I might be wrong but it seems like an opportunity cost thing. "I will never use the portability, I wish resources were not spent on it".

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I would guess that they've seen the rise in popularity of people playing emulators with a gamepad attached to their tablet, and are just providing that to the masses.

Except with a massively cut-down library, and more expensive. :v:

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I have a huge setup in my living room for the Wii U. Problem is, I never use the living room and am always upstairs in my office. But I always feel there's too much compromise playing Wii U off screen. The screen is dim, the sound sucks, and certain games just play better with both screens.

Switch seems dedicated enough that there wouldn't be as much of a compromise. And I'm kind of drooling at the thought of an Animal Crossing game for it.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

limaCAT posted:

38 viewers on twitch

10000+ viewers on twitch

This is easily the worst post I've ever seen.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

I've got no horse in this race so I might be wrong but it seems like an opportunity cost thing. "I will never use the portability, I wish resources were not spent on it".

Alternatively also "I am not hooking this up to a tv yet I still have to buy the dock?" For folks who just want the next nintendo handheld.

Also the weirdly shaped controller(s) to faciliate detaching when most will end up buying a pro anyway.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Shin'en (Fast Racing NEO) and Image & Form (SteamWorld games) both confirm they have something coming up for the Switch.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

HMS Boromir posted:

People will use it. It's amazing. Being able to take your game even just to your bed, or to your couch while someone else watches something else, is an amazing experience. And now there's no tether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

GameStop, Amazon & Best Buy have landing pages for the Nintendo Switch. You can sign up for email updates.

• Locked thread