Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Might be the blacksmith isn't skilled enough to craft them
Try the one in oxenfurt or novigrad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boy Wunder
Dec 2, 2000

I've tried many different crafters and it's all the same, including Hattori and the woman at Crow's Nest.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
I'd cheat them in at that point since it seems like a bug that's been around for a while

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GuyUpNorth posted:

Aen Elle are already getting chilly on their outskirts, so it's presumably close to "get the gently caress out while you can" by their standards anyway.

Aen Elle's homeworld is facing the White Frost already, so while entropy might not reach the Witcher world for thousands of years, it is coming. The Wild Hunt wants to stop it destroying their world as a priority, but Eredin also wants Ciri's power to manipulate time and space to use it as a weapon against worlds they invade and enslave.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just crafted a set of Enhanced Wolven Armour to wear around when I'm not doing anything difficult enough to have to wear the Mastercrafted stuff. It's so... stylish.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Wild Hunt wants to stop it destroying their world as a priority, but Eredin also wants Ciri's power to manipulate time and space to use it as a weapon against worlds they invade and enslave.

this is the main thing, at the moment they're rather limited in when and where they can travel (though the navigators help immensely), ciri can take people between worlds at will though so they can just jump between badly-defended worlds forever

MikeJF posted:

Just crafted a set of Enhanced Wolven Armour to wear around when I'm not doing anything difficult enough to have to wear the Mastercrafted stuff. It's so... stylish.

wolf school: curse removal and fashion sense :)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Okay you can clearly tell that telling Ciri to smash poo poo up in Avallac'h's booty dungeon is right because of how adorable and dad Geralt is during it.

OH MY GOD YEN THE PORTRAIT

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

MikeJF posted:

Okay you can clearly tell that telling Ciri to smash poo poo up in Avallac'h's booty dungeon is right because of how adorable and dad Geralt is during it.

I seriously love the fact that they successfully animated "trying really hard not to smile". That takes fineasse.

Slide McGriffin
Nov 16, 2009

OOOOoooOOooo

Boy Wunder posted:

I'm playing through this game for the first time and really enjoying it, but I think I've come upon an annoying bug. I'm combat-focused and I want to use Cat School gear, so I did the quest for collecting the enhanced diagrams but when I go to an armorsmith none of the enhanced upgrades show up and for swordsmiths only the steel sword is available. The quest is marked as complete and I went back to one of the sites to make sure I had looted the diagram from the chest and there's nothing there. Am I screwed? Is there any way to cheat and give myself the items?

you haven't accidentally filtered it to only show diagrams you've got the ingredients for have you?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I AM GERALT OF RIVIA, BUTCHER OF BLAVIKEN, BANE OF STALACTITES AND STALAGMITES EVERYWHERE

I can't help but laugh every time there's an action scene with Yenn and she's running along in ridiculous high heels trying to save the world. Should've romanced Triss, she's... slightly more sensible.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Welp, that's done.

They could've set up the tower and why it specifically had to be entered for Ciri to reach the source of the frost better. Or... at all.

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time to go and send my daughter off to fight monsters so that me and my wife can spend a few decades having freaky sorceress sex.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Oct 21, 2016

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

MikeJF posted:

Welp, that's done.

They could've set up the tower and why it specifically had to be entered for Ciri to reach the source of the frost better. Or... at all.

If you read the books you'd know exactly what to expect from elven towers

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

MikeJF posted:

"I hope you didn't make a mess"

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pyromancer posted:

If you read the books you'd know exactly what to expect from elven towers

The problem is that W3 is better than any of his books, so I can't be arsed to read not-so-great fiction. :colbert:

The game does a decent enough job of presenting things you need to know. Anyway, this is why I'm team Triss.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Witcher anecdote incoming

So there was I going to the bookstore to purchase an obligatory read for study reasons. In Brazil, big bookstores are like these really fancy places, which sometimes have even coffee shops inside them, with electronics subsections and a lot of whole other stuff going on. Also, sometimes they showcase games, movies or series that have literary material accompanying them - a new Assassin's Creed game might prompt the bookstore to put a lot of posters, make the screens show the game, books about the series in exposition with a hefty discount, so on.

I arrive at the store, and the first thing I notice is that one of these huge-rear end screens is showing a short dude with a mohawk grumbling a lot in what looks like an European scenario. No big deal.

Then my gears got working. I looked around and there it was, in its full, translated glory: Andrzej Sapkowski in Brazilian Portuguese. Besides the TV, a gigantic poster of a wannabe Geralt - wannabe because CDPRs is the one true version of course. A redhead in a yellow jacket helping the showcase. A Gwent promo poster from a Brazilian games fair. WHAT?

I was getting a massive, short-burst dissonance from that. I never seen anything from the Witcher universe outside the internet, and now there was a loving carnival of it translated to my language parading around. The screen? It was showing the actual Polish series, which boggled my mind on why the gently caress someone would go so far into this for a promotional thing. By the way, it was bad. Then there was the scent - holy poo poo I kid you not it was lilac. Someone sprayed lilac air freshener everywhere. Lilac, like Yennefer's - it felt like someone was setting up some sort of tryhard post-LARP conference party.

So, yeah, Witcher is a massive worldwide success. Sapkowski must sure have a good deal of ruffled feathers.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
No gooseberries. 0/10.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Transmetropolitan posted:

The screen? It was showing the actual Polish series, which boggled my mind on why the gently caress someone would go so far into this for a promotional thing.
That's hilarious. But all of this must have been set by some Witcher fanatic - lilac air freshener, seriously?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

That's hilarious. But all of this must have been set by some Witcher fanatic - lilac air freshener, seriously?

Eh, there might've been a central promotional setup pack that got sent to them.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Transmetropolitan posted:

The screen? It was showing the actual Polish series

"Brazilian store managers stumped as Witcher merchandise sales plummet country-wide "

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

The funniest part about that series when you've played the game is first episode: witcher council pre Kaer Morhen siege dialogue
"Times are changing, there's even a talk of witchers using crossbows instead of swords!"

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Never forget:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Boy Wunder posted:

I'm playing through this game for the first time and really enjoying it, but I think I've come upon an annoying bug. I'm combat-focused and I want to use Cat School gear, so I did the quest for collecting the enhanced diagrams but when I go to an armorsmith none of the enhanced upgrades show up and for swordsmiths only the steel sword is available. The quest is marked as complete and I went back to one of the sites to make sure I had looted the diagram from the chest and there's nothing there. Am I screwed? Is there any way to cheat and give myself the items?

This is actually a known and, unfortunately, common enough bug. Your quest bugged out and didn't give you the Silversword diagram, uh, quest. You can get it manually, look up some IGN guide or something that'll show you where it is on the map.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm rich! So who's this runecrafting fellow?

poo poo, I'm poor again.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I'm rich! So who's this runecrafting fellow?

poo poo, I'm poor again.

The grandmaster smith is basically a drug pusher and I am an addict

the drug is enriched dimeritium

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

At least Blood & Wine throws way more money at you than the rest of the game in either quest rewards or loot value. When I first got to Toussaint I spent all of the gold I'd acquired in the main game and Hearts of Stone on a single grandmaster set, but by the end of B&W I had more than enough to craft the rest.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Drifter posted:

Anyway, this is why I'm team Triss.

This is a choice that I will never be able to understand why people make.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SirSamVimes posted:

This is a choice that I will never be able to understand why people make.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
For anyone who does not own the game or one of the expansions yet:
Until the 24th a 9 year anniversary sale gives 20% off the goty and discounts on dlcs etc. Both on Steam or GoG versions.
See the cdpr website/steam store/humble store/gog
I'll probably buy this tomorrow. 40€ on Steam is a good price for the goty.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

Seriously. It was either a really impressive coincidence or the manager/supervisor is a fan of the series (which is more plausible I can't say haha)

Boy Wunder
Dec 2, 2000

Gamerofthegame posted:

This is actually a known and, unfortunately, common enough bug. Your quest bugged out and didn't give you the Silversword diagram, uh, quest. You can get it manually, look up some IGN guide or something that'll show you where it is on the map.

Thanks a ton, this solved it. I was missing the boots and armor and once I got those the other items appeared.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I finally got around to starting my NG+ and am surprised again how great and immersive this game is! I'm not being nearly as completionist this time around, but am going to actually play gwent this time around. I really suck at this card game, i only won like four games so far and get frustrated, saying I'll come back to this smith later.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Moose-Alini posted:

I finally got around to starting my NG+ and am surprised again how great and immersive this game is! I'm not being nearly as completionist this time around, but am going to actually play gwent this time around. I really suck at this card game, i only won like four games so far and get frustrated, saying I'll come back to this smith later.

It's a game of chicken. You want them to waste their cards. You gotta bluff and poo poo to do that, and maybe lose a round every now and then.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

There's a Witcher 9th anniversary sale going on Steam if anybody is interested in grabbing the older titles/expansions/that digital board game.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I did grab the goty earlier, before I dive in, are there any points of no return I need to worry about or will they all be clearly spelled out before you proceed?

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Hopper posted:

I did grab the goty earlier, before I dive in, are there any points of no return I need to worry about or will they all be clearly spelled out before you proceed?

Yeah, they are pretty spelled out before the endgame starts (which is a long one, and you might find time to finish a few more side-quests in it, though it won't really fit the urgent timeline that starts to show). You should be able to get everything done before heading to a place called Isle of Mists. The other points of no return are even more clear that that.

HoS question: I found a wounded boar near the Oxenfurt Alchemist's hut that lead me on a one-minute unmarked quest, until I found a letter. Is that all there is to the quest, or did I miss anything?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hopper posted:

There will be a warning screen.

But most things will remain available after ending the main content. Just finish secondary quests (not treasure hunts and contracts) if you think any sound interesting. Few may disappear.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Hopper posted:

There are one or two quests that don't have a warning screen before their pnr, 'following the thread' and 'fall of house reardon/ghosts of the past' are the only one I can remember off the top of my head. So do those as soon as you find its contract just in case.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Moose-Alini posted:

the key to the game is having more cards in the deck so you can run them down. Therefore spies (draw 2 cards) and decoys (to convert spies placed by your opponent) become the overwhelmingly best cards in the game, so everyone only plays NK/NG decks as a result due to their high spy count. Muster cards (as seen in all those beast decks) are actually the worst because you can get multiples in your hand (too many to redraw) and subsequently run out of cards faster

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

pnutz posted:

the key to the game is having more cards in the deck so you can run them down. Therefore spies (draw 2 cards) and decoys (to convert spies placed by your opponent) become the overwhelmingly best cards in the game, so everyone only plays NK/NG decks as a result due to their high spy count. Muster cards (as seen in all those beast decks) are actually the worst because you can get multiples in your hand (too many to redraw) and subsequently run out of cards faster

I'm at the point where my deck has one spy so can't really use these pro strats yet. I have a few decoys but I usually redraw them since no one at this level really uses spies yet. It really seems like a slugfest hoping that I end up with one more card than whatever poor Velen merchant I stumble on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Triss is the obvious "smart" choice, as she is a straightforward altruistic idealist who fights and sacrifices for her principles and your friends like her

Yennefer is just really manipulative and self-centered, and your friends hate her; she is the self-destructive choice. But having done her romance I can understand why people would choose her anyway.

That said this time around I elected to not give a poo poo and just did both, having no idea what would happen :v: