Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Why am I not surprised?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Libluini posted:

On 14th October it was revealed Germany is planning a fleet expansion, mostly as a reaction to what Russia is doing. Some emergency money gets used to double our corvette-fleet from 5 to 10 ships over the next few years. There's also a massive increase in the budget promised to pay for the shipbuilding program, but that's been postponed to after the next election for obvious reasons.

Something the article doesn't mention: For some years we have been building a new class of combat frigates large enough to classify as cruisers (~7200 GRTs), the first ships will start getting commissioned around the time the new corvettes will arrive. The Bundesmarine has been incredibly stretched and stressed out for some time thanks to our governments giving out more and more commitments but not more money. Looks like Russia's new aggressiveness accidentally saved our fleet from slowly collapsing, thanks for the new ships, Putin!

This is more due to Merkel committing to achieving the 2% NATO military spending goal than to anything the Russians are doing, although obviously the Russians made the case for committing to NATO a bit more compelling. The Baden-Württembergs have especially little to do with the Russians since they are heavily optimized towards peacekeeping. Compare their armament to that of an Arleigh Burke, it's fuckin ridiculous.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Libluini posted:

On 14th October it was revealed Germany is planning a fleet expansion, mostly as a reaction to what Russia is doing. Some emergency money gets used to double our corvette-fleet from 5 to 10 ships over the next few years. There's also a massive increase in the budget promised to pay for the shipbuilding program, but that's been postponed to after the next election for obvious reasons.

Something the article doesn't mention: For some years we have been building a new class of combat frigates large enough to classify as cruisers (~7200 GRTs), the first ships will start getting commissioned around the time the new corvettes will arrive. The Bundesmarine has been incredibly stretched and stressed out for some time thanks to our governments giving out more and more commitments but not more money. Looks like Russia's new aggressiveness accidentally saved our fleet from slowly collapsing, thanks for the new ships, Putin!

You should have bought the Mistrals, IMO.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

aphid_licker posted:

The Baden-Württembergs have especially little to do with the Russians since they are heavily optimized towards peacekeeping. Compare their armament to that of an Arleigh Burke, it's fuckin ridiculous.

I just did, the F125 doesn't have torpedos and is a bit lighter, that's about it. For a German ship it's quite heavily armed, actually.

Cat Mattress posted:

You should have bought the Mistrals, IMO.

We just barely made most of our broken helicopters work again, what the hell are we supposed to do with multiple heavy amphibious assault ships / helicopter carriers? It's not like we will transport our soldiers by ship when Russia invades the Baltics.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

I just did, the F125 doesn't have torpedos and is a bit lighter, that's about it. For a German ship it's quite heavily armed, actually.

Also lacks a complete Aegis system and its associated SAMs, but comparing them to Burkes is a bit wrong - they are different ships, built for different purposes. Burke-analog in german navy would be the Sachsen.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Libluini posted:

It has no VLS to the AB's 90 cells and no torpedos, ie no way of actually doing anything. It carries a bare-minimum self-defense-armament in form of the SAM launcher, a battery of essentially useless subsonic anti-shipping-missiles, and a naval gun. It would've been a decent combat ship at half the weight and 30 years ago, and coincidentally the F122 carry the exact same armament - gun, 2x self-defense-SAM, 8x Harpoon, at indeed half the weight and 30 years older. The thing just barely qualifies as a warship. It's meant for stabilization missions, optimized for endurance and carrying special forces, nothing to do with the Russians. As far as the Russians are concerned the German navy got less dangerous.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/germanys-f125-special-forces-and-stabilization-frigates-05119/

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Still better then the Holland class OPV which is 3750 tons carrying the weaponry of a Sherman tank.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

aphid_licker posted:

It has no VLS to the AB's 90 cells and no torpedos, ie no way of actually doing anything. It carries a bare-minimum self-defense-armament in form of the SAM launcher, a battery of essentially useless subsonic anti-shipping-missiles, and a naval gun. It would've been a decent combat ship at half the weight and 30 years ago, and coincidentally the F122 carry the exact same armament - gun, 2x self-defense-SAM, 8x Harpoon, at indeed half the weight and 30 years older. The thing just barely qualifies as a warship. It's meant for stabilization missions, optimized for endurance and carrying special forces, nothing to do with the Russians. As far as the Russians are concerned the German navy got less dangerous.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/germanys-f125-special-forces-and-stabilization-frigates-05119/

The discussion moved a bit off-topic, I mentioned the new corvettes first with a reason. That reason being they're explicitly meant for use in the Ostsee. They also carry the heavy anti-ship missiles of the type RBS15, so that's five more ships capable of sinking Russian ships. Coincidentally, the outdated Harpoons on the F125 are supposed to be replaced by those newer missiles, too. So that complaint is baseless.

Also as far as I understand the technical data of the F125-class, they do have an AEGIS-equivalent fire control system, it's just not called "AEGIS". (I could be wrong though, I had to look up what an AEGIS is on Wikipedia) The F125 also carries 4 MASS-systems for defense, which seems to be superior to the Burke's equivalent. I'm highly sceptical the Burke could actually not get hit immediately by an anti-ship missile and sink without actually doing anything.

The naval gun is actually a fairly modern system, capable of using special ammunition for supporting land-based operations. 100km max range with specialized ammunition isn't bad for a dinky little gun. You also forgot the two remote-controlled 27mm autocannons. But yeah, together with the 5 robot-machine guns the class has it's more meant for peacekeeping missions. I mean those robot-guns are obviously meant to repel boarders, which is I guess more important to a peacekeeping mission on the other side of the world than to fight other ships?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Libluini posted:

We just barely made most of our broken helicopters work again, what the hell are we supposed to do with multiple heavy amphibious assault ships / helicopter carriers? It's not like we will transport our soldiers by ship when Russia invades the Baltics.

No however when Germany has to airlift Dunkirk it may have been nice to evac casualties via helicopter after all the runway and airfield cratering.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Looks like Our Brave Polish Patriots are giving it good to that muslimized Spanish scum in Madrid.

https://twitter.com/JavidePazFdez/status/788433750669586434

https://twitter.com/JavidePazFdez/status/788430259188359168

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

I'm the insane retard trying to pull the policeman off the horse.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Libluini posted:

The naval gun is actually a fairly modern system, capable of using special ammunition for supporting land-based operations. 100km max range with specialized ammunition isn't bad for a dinky little gun. You also forgot the two remote-controlled 27mm autocannons. But yeah, together with the 5 robot-machine guns the class has it's more meant for peacekeeping missions. I mean those robot-guns are obviously meant to repel boarders, which is I guess more important to a peacekeeping mission on the other side of the world than to fight other ships?

Wat.

The hell ammo is that; gun launched missile?

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Wat.

The hell ammo is that; gun launched missile?

http://www.leonardocompany.com/-/vulcano-127mm

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Wistful of Dollars posted:

gun launched missile

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Now I am just pulling a hypothetical here, but wouldn't someone who wanted to deal with police horseman just arm their protestors with say wooden doles over two meters long?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
First, I don't think hooligans are interested in really fighting a victorious battle against the riot police
Second, it would only work if you had a bunch of those guys covering each other in an organized manner, because once the horse got inside the crowd, your poles would be useless. (pun not intended)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Crowsbeak posted:

Now I am just pulling a hypothetical here, but wouldn't someone who wanted to deal with police horseman just arm their protestors with say wooden doles over two meters long?
I'm the horse policeman pulling a not entirely hypothetical firearm.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Or even just riot spray / gas canister

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

those f125 ships do seem like GWOT: The Ship.

special ops facilities, submersible ROVs, diver-detection sensor (ISIS SCUBA!!!!!!), water cannons to shoot at ships you arn't sure are hostile (refugee-warfare cruiser?), and a 2-year deployment endurance.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Eh, there'll always be a need for humanitarian work or to intervene in low intensity wars.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Crowsbeak posted:

You don't deal with cavalry by taking out the cavalryman. You deal with cavalry by taking out the horse.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

You don't deal with cavalry by taking out the cavalryman. You deal with cavalry by taking out the horse.

They'd send in the bulls next.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

They'd send in the bulls next.
Pikemen. The future of urban rioting.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm the horse policeman pulling a not entirely hypothetical firearm.
Then you bring a longer pole.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Also, horses are easily spooked by elephants. Just throwing this out there.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Horses are easily spooked by just about anything.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

noticed a tidbit in an article about conservative media gadflys in the US:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/05/30/james-okeefe-accidentally-stings-himself posted:

...But Matthew Tyrmand, a recent addition to the Project Veritas board, has publicly declared his fierce opposition to Soros. Tyrmand is a thirty-five-year-old Polish-American investor who is an informal adviser to Poland’s right-wing nationalist government as well as a contributing writer at Breitbart, the conservative news site. As street protests have sprung up in Poland, Tyrmand has repeatedly suggested online that Soros is stoking the unrest. On the Web site of the Polonia Institute, a nonprofit that promotes Polish culture, he wrote that the “recent protest movement” was “rumored to be funded by George Soros’s Open Society Foundations” in order to “undermine and destabilize the new government.”

Tyrmand deflected numerous requests for an interview. When I finally reached him by phone, he said that he was too busy to talk. He was in France, on his way to the Cannes Film Festival for the première of “Clinton Cash,” a film adaptation of a scathing 2015 book by Peter Schweizer, a fellow at the Hoover Institution, which accuses the Clintons of enriching themselves by giving speeches to dubious sponsors. The film, along with other independently financed attacks on the Clintons, will significantly help Trump’s campaign by reducing its need to spend money on oppo research.

The first time I asked O’Keefe who Victor Kesh was, he declined to comment on what he called “investigations, real or imagined.” But, after learning that he had been caught on tape trying to infiltrate Soros’s group, he tried to put the best face on it. On May 11th, he, Tyrmand, and a cameraman showed up in the lobby of the Open Society Foundations, saying that they were conducting a serious investigation. O’Keefe phoned Dana Geraghty again, admitting that he had previously called her “posing as Victor,” and said that he had some “follow-up questions” about whether the Foundations were as transparent as they claim to be about the activities they fund. With the camera rolling, O’Keefe and his team stood outside the lobby and buttonholed people, asking them if Soros was funding Polish street protests.

Laura Silber, the chief communications officer for the Open Society Foundations, told me, “We were asked if we fund the Polish opposition—we don’t, directly or indirectly. We do support groups that advance the rule of law and human rights, which are under threat in Poland today.”

After a bit of googling there seems to be at least one legislator accusing 'jew bankers' of creating opposition protests, so. Awesome.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Horses are easily spooked by just about anything.

https://www.amazon.com/Deerbusters-Wolf-Urine-Lure-32-oz/dp/B0006IGZSM

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Wolf piss would probably be an improvement over how they normally smell (BO and alcohol).

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Same people went after Podesta and Bellingcat:
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/how-hackers-broke-into-john-podesta-and-colin-powells-gmail-accounts

Lofty company

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I guess we were just a test run. The attacks was dumb, like 3 nerds at Bellingcat would fall for bit.ly links in fake Google emails.

One way we found the emails was searching to the spelling mistakes they made in the Google Address at the bottom, seems that always caught them out. Plus searching for their occasional use of bad grammar was useful, some of it had a touch of comedy Russian grammar

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I'm asking if that would spook horses.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Horses self-spook them selves to death every chance they get. One of the worst animals. Their reaction to anything scary, real or imagined, is to flip out and break all their legs.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

Horses self-spook them selves to death every chance they get. One of the worst animals. Their reaction to anything scary, real or imagined, is to flip out and break all their legs.

Didn't people used to use horses in combat like 100 years ago? Heck, there's this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergeant_Reckless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNncmyO0WFI

I'd recommend doing it from a distance.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

spacetoaster posted:

Didn't people used to use horses in combat like 100 years ago? Heck, there's this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergeant_Reckless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNncmyO0WFI

I'd recommend doing it from a distance.

War horses were specifically trained from a young age to be used to human combat. Riot horses are basically similar.

So, yeah they spook easy but the ones you see in a riot get scared less than a normal horse does because it's been trained to deal with humans and noise.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
This is fuckin easy guys it's like Pokémon
You send in horses to spook the polish and then send in elephants to spook the horses and then send in war pigs to spook the elephants
It's basically how Australia was made

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Untrained horses instinctively yield to humans when they get close together. A horse will stop or turn around if a person crosses its path. Police horses, however, are trained that it should be the person who should yield, unless the rider gives the horse a signal. This is why an out of control police horse can easily trample people, while an ordinary horse would be much less likely to do so.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Punkin Spunkin posted:

This is fuckin easy guys it's like Pokémon
You send in horses to spook the polish and then send in elephants to spook the horses and then send in war pigs to spook the elephants
It's basically how Australia was made

And when wintertime rolls around, the war pigs simply freeze to death.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

mobby_6kl posted:

And when wintertime rolls around, the war pigs simply freeze to death.
You keep the pigs around to ward off Muslims...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You keep the pigs around to ward off Muslims...
Yes yes yes Then the Muslims eat the pigs and become Poles and the cycle resets so you need horses again
We all got this talk when we first entered puberty