Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I like real time with pause, but will wait for the dust to settle to see hi much they learned in pillars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'm going to end up waiting as well- I feel like I have a backlog of these homage RPGs to get through, and I still have barely started Shadowrun: Hong Kong.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Tyranny has a weird 90's 3D look to it. I was watching Day9 play it and I couldn't put my finger on it at the time, but I'm getting Spiderweb Studio production value vibes from it.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Usually I'd check first but not even I am crazy enough to read through 261 pages in the hopes that someone answered my question already:

Is there a tried and true method for playing Victoria II multiplayer? I was trying to play it with a friend the other day and we were having trouble getting it to work with the fake LAN software I usually use.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Xinder posted:

Usually I'd check first but not even I am crazy enough to read through 261 pages in the hopes that someone answered my question already:

Is there a tried and true method for playing Victoria II multiplayer? I was trying to play it with a friend the other day and we were having trouble getting it to work with the fake LAN software I usually use.

I think you can just direct connect to the host over the internet, don't think it's needs to be LAN

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Enjoy posted:

I think you can just direct connect to the host over the internet, don't think it's needs to be LAN

Huh. It didn't seem to work at first but we didn't really try exhaustively I guess. I just assumed when it didn't seem to be working that I'd need to do it the hard way since it's a pretty old game.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Xinder posted:

Huh. It didn't seem to work at first but we didn't really try exhaustively I guess. I just assumed when it didn't seem to be working that I'd need to do it the hard way since it's a pretty old game.

Probably need to either open the right ports (I don't know them) or put the host in a DMZ

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Baron Porkface posted:

Do people in Sweden regularly swear in English?

Don't think so? Usually you hear "Skit, Fan, Jävlar or Satan" The first one being literally "poo poo" while the three others are different names on the devil.
gently caress is used occasionally but I think I hear the Swedish ones way more often.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Groogy posted:

Don't think so? Usually you hear "Skit, Fan, Jävlar or Satan" The first one being literally "poo poo" while the three others are different names on the devil.
gently caress is used occasionally but I think I hear the Swedish ones way more often.

Paradox hates their Fans: Confirmed.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I love Stellaris and HOI4. I can't get in to CK2.

My one and only complaint about Paradox games is that sometimes I can't tell if the game is paused or not.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

algebra testes posted:

Paradox hates their Fans: Confirmed.

I thought that was common knowledge? Why else would we make games if not to piss off people? Only reason we made HOI4 was to stop people from playing the perfect HOI3 and force them to play the Facebook variant of the franchise instead.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm getting Spiderweb Studio production value vibes from it.

I don't think you've played a Spiderweb game lately if you think it's anywhere near the level of Tyranny.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Groogy posted:

I thought that was common knowledge? Why else would we make games if not to piss off people? Only reason we made HOI4 was to stop people from playing the perfect HOI3 and force them to play the Facebook variant of the franchise instead.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

That's funny, my recollection of HOI3 was clicking the ai button and winning.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

My recollection of HOI3 was that it wouldn't start.
Also conquering Washington by Nuking the poo poo out of USA from Greenland as Sweden.

e: Also remembered modding in Skåne with four provinces and beating Germany with that.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Oct 21, 2016

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Groogy posted:

Don't forget helvete(hell) and fakk

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

That's funny, my recollection of HOI3 was clicking the ai button and winning.

You didn't assign a logistics wizard to your armies and wasted IC, time to restart.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

My recollection of launch day HOI3 was loading up the Normandy 1944 scenario as a test and discovering that all my troops were immediately out of supply and also no tech after 1936 had been researched. And a few days later the dynamic weather system plunged the world into a nuclear winter.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Alchenar posted:

My recollection of launch day HOI3 was loading up the Normandy 1944 scenario as a test and discovering that all my troops were immediately out of supply and also no tech after 1936 had been researched. And a few days later the dynamic weather system plunged the world into a nuclear winter.

Sounds like you're not up for a real challenge, better go back to HOI2 with the rest of the casuals :smugbert:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I have never played HOI3

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

ThaumPenguin posted:

I have never played HOI3

That's why you are not yet broken

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Groogy posted:

That's why you are not yet broken

You don't know me :colbert:

e: Some argument in favour of a garbage game mechanic

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThaumPenguin posted:

You don't know me :colbert:

e: Some argument in favour of a garbage game mechanic

I'll give you one for free:

This garbage ipad game doesn't even make me manually coordinate my air and ground attacks to occur at the same hour of the day. :colbert:

god I feel dirty even joking about that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
in hoi4 the ai can put things on boats. fuckin casual!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

algebra testes posted:

I'll give you one for free:

This garbage ipad game doesn't even make me manually coordinate my air and ground attacks to occur at the same hour of the day. :colbert:

god I feel dirty even joking about that.

Coordinating the ToT of Soviet SSGNs, SAG and Backfire strikes in Harpoon was the most satisfying thing.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

in hoi4 the ai can put things on boats. fuckin casual!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In HOI4 the AI can actually do stuff.....
I remember when Wiz managed to get the HOI3 AI get into a gridlock where it went like "Dafuq is happening... what how now? Eeeh okay?" and it just collapsed on itself and couldn't do anything anymore.
Just want to point out, I've completed more CK2 games from Charlemagne than I've done HOI3... HOI franchise was always my least favorite.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I have finished a single CK2 game. I have never played to the end of any of the other paradox games.

e:I tell a lie, I've finished Vicky 2 a bunch as well.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

I remember browsing the Paradox forums on HOI3's launch with people posting many many screenshots of the UK AI building nothing but transports, forever.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Just pulling from back of my mind I think this is my statistics for finished games:

Victoria 2: 8 13
EU3: 5
EU4: 12
CK2: 7
HOI3: 1
HOI4: 2

.... something like that, would be nice if we could record this information in an easy to view format for players :smith:

e: Oh no I forgot a bunch of V2 MP games I finished.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 21, 2016

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Victoria 3 confirmed

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the only game ive finished at all, let alone more than once, is victoria 2.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I figure I've finished a run when I'm done playing. Let me tell you, I've finished soooo many HOI3 games.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I used to finish a lot more of my EU4 games but nowadays I mostly do the achievement and then quit. Kinda sad in a way since i do like the advanced cbs and stuff.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

It's a lot easier to finish full campaigns if you are playing in multiplayer.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Alchenar posted:

By "launch day" do you mean when you downloaded the full version of the game that was supposed to be the demo from Gamespy Arcade dot com

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Groogy posted:

In HOI4 the AI can actually do stuff.....
I remember when Wiz managed to get the HOI3 AI get into a gridlock where it went like "Dafuq is happening... what how now? Eeeh okay?" and it just collapsed on itself and couldn't do anything anymore.
Just want to point out, I've completed more CK2 games from Charlemagne than I've done HOI3... HOI franchise was always my least favorite.

So we agree that HoI is bad, time to ram all those dev hours into Rome 2: Victoria 3: an East vs. West Game

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Groogy posted:

I don't think I've heard a dev swear in Swedish during a stream but I suppose I don't know what to listen for.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

EU4 Question:

For events like "Nobility Request Privileges" or "Bourgeoisie Request Privileges" - do these trigger additional events down the road? A lot of the time it feels like a choice between tech loss and regional autonomy is a no-brainer, so not sure if there are hidden costs...

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Man Musk posted:

EU4 Question:

For events like "Nobility Request Privileges" or "Bourgeoisie Request Privileges" - do these trigger additional events down the road? A lot of the time it feels like a choice between tech loss and regional autonomy is a no-brainer, so not sure if there are hidden costs...

Isn't Bourgeoisie Request Privileges a choice between losing admin or diplo points and a 10 loyalty swing with either the nobility or burghers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Isn't Bourgeoisie Request Privileges a choice between losing admin or diplo points and a 10 loyalty swing with either the nobility or burghers?

Yup, it was just an example, should have clarified. The Nobility one just popped up so wasn't sure if it was a theme across the different classes or whatevs. Still, I'm not sure if I should be treating these events mechanically or as some sort of weird RP where I can get something down the line that rewards me for sacrificing ___ tech.

Man Musk fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 28, 2016