From: PA
To: PA2, PA3, Receptionist, Boss
Subject: Morning Email

Consultant: PA do you think an email from Alibaba.com sounds dodgy?
PA : Yes, I think you should delete it
Consultant: But I am fascinated by it, I really want to open it.
PA : …..[silence]..[mentally slitting my wrists]…

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

But...alibaba is legit?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alibaba_Group

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Gonna laugh if he was spelling out incorrect information as he typed in his actual password.

This is actually really hard if you want to try it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It is, but it's also a major source of spoofed malware in the same way that Amazon, Paypal and major banks are.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Ghostlight posted:

Here is an email forwarded to me by my boss in its entirety. Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent.

PA: "Touch nothing but the delete key!"

Consultant:

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

pixaal posted:

This is actually really hard if you want to try it.

gently caress, it is

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

pixaal posted:

This is actually really hard if you want to try it.

Wtf. I can't do it. But I have conversations with people all the time while I type something completely irrelevant.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

The ADP portal will still try to helpfully install Java 6u17 for you if you'll let it. It works with newer versions of Java, but the site is still hardcoded to look for and offer the install for 6u17 before it tries anything newer.

I loving hate ADP.

We switched from Paylocity to ADP.

Sometimes, our team has to move upstairs because our management doesn't want to close, even though our agents close on our team. So this means we move upstairs with all the L1s and the L1 managers, because "gently caress em, those guys close and we need them to supervise you"

Sometimes ADP hates the fact I signed out of my vm downstairs into a different area of the floor upstairs, saying "you're already signed in, go gently caress yourself" in chrome. Management decided to uninstall firefox from our vms, so when this happens I have to sign in to ADP in IE11?10? to get it to run (while throwing out java errors all the way)

sidenote: Our VMs are woefully underpowered and the server that they run on is actually out of state for some loving reason, so every now and then they lag, hard and the screen gets artifacty or will just freeze, go black, and come back 15 seconds later. sometimes your mouse jumps all over the screen because it can't keep up. This coupled with a lovely basic ticketing system that uses loving iframes in 2016, and they were too cheap to pay a real admin for (instead hiring from the floor to fill the position), sure leads to lots of wasted seconds for AHT overall and probably is across the board a huge sink in our service levels. But oh no, upgrading the VM server....that's expensive :ohdear:

/rant

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Genius client decides that asking for after-hours (like 4am) help in the Slack channel without tagging anybody, then e-mailing after 20 minutes, then calling the support line after another 20 minutes is a great way to get emergency help.

What a loving idiot. Yes putting something in a slack channel will wake me up. It's not like that's why the 24/7 support line exists or anything.

He also didn't run a file system check before expanding the volume :allears:

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 21, 2016

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

I have now learned the value of watching my budget like a hawk, and have realized that keeping my own records is only half the battle, and that I need to be keeping an eye on where the accountant is charging things. I only get $15k a year for computer equipment and apparently she had charged my department over $9k in contractual software fees. I also turned up a slew of other wrongly charged items and had those rectified and now I have a ton of money to sleep on like goddamned Smaug

In a few more fiscal years you'll be manager material.

..and I'm not even joking. Mastering Combat Accounting is/should be part of IT Manager training.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

A Dynect DDOS came in...

:cry: :supaburn: :suicide:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

[...]

We switched from ADP to Paylocity...

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

A Dynect DDOS came in...

:cry: :supaburn: :suicide:

Yep! What a great way to start my Friday.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
so glad I'm not at work today

Though I did log into skype so I could laugh at my coworkers who have to deal with this.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Kaethela posted:

Yep! What a great way to start my Friday.

I couldn't even remote in to help since our VPN is based off hostname resolution and of course our domain was affected. Had to drive into the office an hour early. Couldn't even call the war room bridge because, yep, VoIP was affected.

Looks like things are getting back to normal now, so I actually have time to make some coffee.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

It's affecting our customers' phones enough to complain about it but not enough to prevent them from calling in about it. :smithicide:

DizzyBum posted:

Looks like things are getting back to normal now, so I actually have time to make some coffee.

If the status of our phone queue is anything to go by, they most certainly are not getting back to normal yet.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Kaethela posted:

It's affecting our customers' phones enough to complain about it but not enough to prevent them from calling in about it. :smithicide:

If the status of our phone queue is anything to go by, they most certainly are not getting back to normal yet.

We're not there yet but our queues have dropped significantly over the last 15 minutes.

Sorry to hear that. :( Hope the rest of your Friday isn't balls.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I was supposed to have a conference call with my current contract employer in NYC this morning. Not happening now! Time for some Warframe while I wait until the lunacy dies down.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I was supposed to have a mandatory training webinar for state testing this morning. Oh well!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Was asked to validate switch config and confirm the switch is not acting as a DHCP server.

*edit* despite the actual request, I did log into the switch and make sure dhcp forwarding etc was all correct.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

MF_James posted:

Was asked to validate switch config and confirm the switch is not acting as a DHCP server.

*edit* despite the actual request, I did log into the switch and make sure dhcp forwarding etc was all correct.

Good on you for not just laughing and closing it. It's Friday so I may have at least considered that.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

The DDoS attack is back! It's not like I had things to do today, or anything.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Kaethela posted:

The DDoS attack is back! It's not like I had things to do today, or anything.

I actually came here to ask about this. I remember reading about a bunch of huge unclaimed DDoS attacks over the past few months with no demand.

My tinfoil hat is that it's the Russians since they broke into Hillary's email servers and are paying and funding wikileaks (RT's accounts were frozen in the UK because of this).

Also news just came out that 3 States have denied requests from Russian officials who want to be present to "monitor elections".

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

pr0digal posted:

He also didn't run a file system check

Oops!

pr0digal posted:

before expanding the volume :allears:

Well there's your problem

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kaethela posted:

The DDoS attack is back! It's not like I had things to do today, or anything.

More like Dyin' DNS.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Inspector_666 posted:

More like Dyin' DNS.

:thurman:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Wait poo poo I know a guy who works there why am I not posting that on his wall RIGHT NOW.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Inspector_666 posted:

Wait poo poo I know a guy who works there why am I not posting that on his wall RIGHT NOW.

He probably doesn't have time to check his wall. You should definitely call him.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That made me laugh harder than I should have.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I actually came here to ask about this. I remember reading about a bunch of huge unclaimed DDoS attacks over the past few months with no demand.

My tinfoil hat is that it's the Russians since they broke into Hillary's email servers and are paying and funding wikileaks (RT's accounts were frozen in the UK because of this).

Also news just came out that 3 States have denied requests from Russian officials who want to be present to "monitor elections".

Schneier covers this a bit. There's a pay for ddos service causing ramp ups in ddos being used. It was an Israeli company who got doxxed for providing such poo poo and went after the security researchers who doxxed em.

Projection is triple the ddos bandwidth within 2 years. So 3 to 6tb/s ddos should be planned for.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Inspector_666 posted:

More like Dyin' DNS.

Mods, please.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
So is anyone else running into DNS issues with Github? I can't tell if it's the DDOS or my orgs lovely firewall :(

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

The Nards Pan posted:

He probably doesn't have time to check his wall. You should definitely call him.

His browser probably can't resolve the URL anyway

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Greatbacon posted:

So is anyone else running into DNS issues with Github? I can't tell if it's the DDOS or my orgs lovely firewall :(

Github has been up and down all morning for us at all sites, Portland OR, Rochester, NY, Brisbane AU and Leeds, UK, so yes.

We've turned off SaaS alerts for now, tired of all the tickets.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's the DDoS.

Your firewall is still a piece of poo poo though.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

NeuralSpark posted:

Oops!

Well there's your problem

The best part was when the Quantum tech asked him the same thing and he had to admit that he didn't. The Quantum tech was not thrilled.

They had to pull configs from cvfsdb and unfuck whatever this dude hosed up.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, Github is one of the many sites getting hosed by this right now.

Our tech queue peaked at 85 calls from the earlier attack. Now it's been at about 250 for over an hour.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I actually came here to ask about this. I remember reading about a bunch of huge unclaimed DDoS attacks over the past few months with no demand.

I think consensus is that those were "weapons tests" since they all exhibited different techniques and payloads. Personally I think it was testing the capabilities of the various "things" in the Internet of Things Botnet.

When Krebs got nailed with the 650 Gbps and then OVH with well over 1Tbps last month, they were hit with a melange of attacks from around the globe.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

pr0digal posted:

The best part was when the Quantum tech asked him the same thing and he had to admit that he didn't. The Quantum tech was not thrilled.

They had to pull configs from cvfsdb and unfuck whatever this dude hosed up.

I've never had a volume expansion go right, but it was Xsan and not StorNext. It's always ended up in a rebuild, either immediately or shortly thereafter.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

More like Dyin' DNS.

Honestly though, Dyn has basically been bulletproof for us and a lot of other people. What are other folks using as secondary DNS these days? Something we can just AXFR stuff to, add to the nameserver list, and forget.

  • Locked thread