Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Jack Gladney posted:

Dilbertman will absolutely be 100% shocked and devastated but play it off the next day by saying that Trump has masterfully escaped a no-win scenario and become more powerful than if he were actually president.

Scott Adams is now for Hillary actually, since he prefers being on the winning team.

He based his logic on the fact that if he was on the losing team, he may face reprisals from the victorious Clinton Hordes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Jack Gladney posted:

Dilbertman will absolutely be 100% shocked and devastated but play it off the next day by saying that Trump has masterfully escaped a no-win scenario and become more powerful than if he were actually president.

After all, being president means that multiple women might buy him V-neck sweaters, and lovely excuses like "she's the Prime Minister of Germany, please accept her gift graciously" will mean he'll be forced to be gift-cucked on the world stage. Better to be an alpha on Twitter than a beta in the White House.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Curvature of Earth posted:

St Rev. Clarkhat will be angry, but smart enough to blame the "deep state" for protecting itself. Rev strikes me as dumb enough to actually get invested in Trump's victory.

Getting invested in Trump's victory would require him to get invested in a conflict humans who don't have meta-level insights give a poo poo about

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

I Killed GBS posted:

Scott Adams is now for Hillary actually, since he prefers being on the winning team.

He based his logic on the fact that if he was on the losing team, he may face reprisals from the victorious Clinton Hordes.

I thought he walked that back and is completely pro-Trump now? At least according to Will Menaker, as I don't really pay attention to Scott "I have the power of suggestion" Adams

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I Killed GBS posted:

He has just decided that the election will be rigged in Clinton's favor, but maybe not enough for it to matter:

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/152067706781/i-score-the-third-debate

quote:

If you want a reason to be worried, ask yourself why the mainstream media is so keen on framing the election as “not rigged.” The message I’m getting from them, collectively, is that they think it will be. (Because it will be.) We just don’t know how much the rigging will matter.

Why do I say it will be rigged?

Because whenever humans have motive, opportunity, a high upside gain, and low odds of detection, shenanigans happen 100% of the time. Our vote-counting systems have plenty of weak spots. Rigging (to some degree) is a near guarantee.

And keep in mind that Team Clinton has framed Trump as the next Hitler. That gives every citizen moral cover to do outrageous things to stop him. The stakes are sky-high. In this environment, it would truly be a miracle to have an unrigged election. But again, we don’t know how much rigging there will be. It might not be enough to matter.

There will almost certainly be election rigging for the same reason there has been debate rigging. If you don’t believe me about debate rigging, ask a woman who did some of that debate rigging herself. Allegedly. Unless it was Russia’s fault.

He links to this to explain the person who admitted to rigging the debate: http://t.umblr.com/redirect?z=https...XBxItG5afUg&m=1

I think he's getting invested in a Trump victory but playing it cool like a 14-year-old who thinks he has a chance to touch a boob.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

I Killed GBS posted:

He pretended to be a supporter of Hillary based on pretending to be afraid of retaliation from Hillary supporters if he didn't. I'm not sure that counts.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Jack Gladney posted:

If you want a reason to be worried, ask yourself why the mainstream media is so keen on framing the election as “not rigged.” The message I’m getting from them, collectively, is that they think it will be. (Because it will be.)

My reference, of course, is to Franz Kafka’s “The Trial”, in which the protagonist Josef K. is accused of crimes the nature of which are never actually specified, and enmeshed in a process designed to degrade, humiliate, and destroy him whether or not he has in fact committed any crime at all. The only way out of the trap is for him to acquiesce in his own destruction; indeed, forcing him to that point of acquiescence and the collapse of his will to live as a free human being seems to be the only point of the process, if it has one at all.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

pookel posted:

He pretended to be a supporter of Hillary based on pretending to be afraid of retaliation from Hillary supporters if he didn't. I'm not sure that counts.

He's a humongous coward

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://twitter.com/curtdoolittle/status/789134321491779584

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

It took him 15 years to fart out some pseudo-philosophy that thousands of alt-right shut-ins generate in an evening after reading Atlas Shrugged?

drat he slow.

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007
Do I even want to know what this person might think a "market law" even is?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Sovereignty is only possible under Natural Law? What the gently caress does that even mean?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
SNMCTTPDRMRAC? What a terrible poem.

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007
Doesn't necessary determinism imply a lack of free will?

If we are all pre-programmed robots hurtling towards heat death, then why does "sovereignty" even matter?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

pookel posted:

Sovereignty is only possible under Natural Law? What the gently caress does that even mean?

It's complete word salad

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Space Poodle posted:

If we are all pre-programmed robots hurtling towards heat death, then why does "sovereignty" even matter?

Yes, but they're racist preprogrammed robots.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Western philosophy includes physical science being 100% predicated on the marginally accepted idea of absolute determinism.

Like, I'm a loving determinist, by personal belief, and that is some grade A bullshit.

No wonder they reject social sciences, they're too loving dumb to even imagine statistical inferences generating reliable behaviors.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Space Poodle posted:

Real Actual Reason: in order for determinism to imply a lack of free will you basically wind up defining free will with some kind of "if you rewound time and played it again everything would happen the same way" argument which makes no sense from any actual in-universe / physical standpoint. Like yes from the point of view of a magical out of universe time-god or whatever that's the case but that's also a completely meaningless nonsense observation point since by definition it can never be shown to exist or have any bearing on anyone from inside the universe. Humans can be said to have effective free will because we can conceptualize several possible futures and act based on the one we want.

Comedy Reason: black people are biologically determined to be criminals because

Curvature of Earth posted:

Yes, but they're racist preprogrammed robots.

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

It took him 15 years to fart out some pseudo-philosophy that thousands of alt-right shut-ins generate in an evening after reading Atlas Shrugged?

drat he slow.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
this is what happens when you have too much loving money

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/07/tech-billionaires-think-we-live-in-the-matrix-and-have-asked-scientists-to-get-us-out.html

quote:

Tech billionaires think we live in the Matrix and have asked scientists to get us out
Arjun Kharpal | @ArjunKharpal
Friday, 7 Oct 2016 | 5:37 AM ETCNBC.com

Two of the technology world's most powerful billionaires are concerned we are living in a Matrix-style simulated world and are working with scientists to break us out.

In an article in The New Yorker, writer Ted Friend explains that the idea of the "simulation hypothesis" has been on the rise among tech's elite.

"Many people in Silicon Valley have become obsessed with the simulation hypothesis, the argument that what we experience as reality is in fact fabricated in a computer; two tech billionaires have gone so far as to secretly engage scientists to work on breaking us out of the simulation," Friend claimed.

Neither of the billionaires were named in the piece.

The idea has gained traction in recent years with the advancement of artificial intelligence (AI) technologies.

Earlier this year, Tesla boss Elon Musk said that there's "a billion to one chance we're living in base reality", meaning the billionaire thinks the odds are that we are living in a computer simulation. Musk argues that some technology is becoming indistinguishable from real life. He took the example of the game "Pong" which has evolved over 40 years into advanced gaming and virtual and augmented reality.

"If you assume any rate of improvement at all, then games will become indistinguishable from reality," Musk said.

And a Bank of America Merrill Lynch report from last month suggested that there was a 20 percent to 50 percent chance we are living in a simulated virtual world.

Friend's claim in the The New Yorker came in an article based on an interview with Sam Altman, the president of Y Combinator, a start-up accelerator helping companies get off the ground. Altman echoed some of Musk's worries over the advancement of technology.

"These phones already control us," Altman declared. "The merge has begun—and a merge is our best scenario. Any version without a merge will have conflict: we enslave the AI or it enslaves us. The full-on-crazy version of the merge is we get our brains uploaded into the cloud. I'd love that."

"We need to level up humans, because our descendants will either conquer the galaxy or extinguish consciousness in the universe forever. What a time to be alive!"

BornAPoorBlkChild has a new favorite as of 15:52 on Oct 21, 2016

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Oh my god. That's infuriating. Rich White Man thinks biggest problem is a movie he saw while 12. That Elon Musk quote is really stupid and barely makes sense.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I got into an argument with someone recently who was absolutely convinced this was the case and he just kind of shut out all reason or evidence to the contrary and eventually just started going THAT'S JUST WHAT YOU'RE PROGRAMMED TO SAY ISN'T IT DRONE, I think he thought I was Agent Smith

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

ate all the Oreos posted:

I got into an argument with someone recently who was absolutely convinced this was the case and he just kind of shut out all reason or evidence to the contrary and eventually just started going THAT'S JUST WHAT YOU'RE PROGRAMMED TO SAY ISN'T IT DRONE, I think he thought I was Agent Smith

you must understand reading this and knowing the paranoid phase i went through adolescence (after watching the Animatrix which frankly hasnt held up as much as i and every weeb would like to think) is like...

... im just saying, had this article come out around 2002-2003 16 year old me would likely have ran out of the house screaming :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The whole 'we live in a super simulation' thing doesn't really pass the 'so what' test. I mean, if all of reality is how we perceive it and effectively physical law as we know it applies, and we live and die and experience the world as we do, what the hell would it even matter if it's a ~simulation~? It's effectively the same world and you could never prove the simulation theory anyway.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Night10194 posted:

The whole 'we live in a super simulation' thing doesn't really pass the 'so what' test. I mean, if all of reality is how we perceive it and effectively physical law as we know it applies, and we live and die and experience the world as we do, what the hell would it even matter if it's a ~simulation~? It's effectively the same world and you could never prove the simulation theory anyway.

came to almost the exact same conclusion. knowledge of being in a simulation wouldn't make my or anyone else's life any less of a dumpster fire

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Let's check this Curt Doolittle guy out I bet he's got some great ideas, maybe he can explain that word salad

nevermind.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Night10194 posted:

“The true life is absent.” But we are in a simulation. Everything about our universe, rightly understood, cries out: I was created! Finitude, imperfection, the gaps in the fullness of reality — all point toward a fuller, more perfect reality of which we are only a distant echo.

Yet this reality is not completely foreign to us. We see reflections of its creative activities in our own technological advances. Our most innovative Silicon Valley visionaries participate in its awesomeness even now. We may one day participate even more fully, as the glories of technology bring us to the point of building our own simulation within what we still presume to call “reality” — inscribing us on a higher rung in the ontological hierarchy.

For there must be a hierarchy. If we can simulate a universe within the meager confines of our simulated reality, what is to say that there is not an endless chain of simulations within simulations within simulations? Each layer of simulation distances us from the fullness of being, but paradoxically connects us to that higher level. If we are a simulation, there must be a reality of which it is the simulation. And even if simulations within simulations are possible, it would be the height of absurdity to imagine that there is no “base” reality, no unsimulated fullness whose residents live a life permeated by a technological prowess inseparable from magic — nay, even omnipotence, from our ontologically impoverished perspective.

To create a simulation that can simulate itself, world without end — truly, that is the work of a god. And to think that those gods are our own possible future, to think that we are simulations not simply created by them, but created in their own image! Truly, we are fearfully and wonderfully made.

What beggars belief is the notion that the simulators would be content merely to watch. They must know, in their infinite wisdom, that we — in our pale imitation of their power and knowledge — would one day stumble upon the telltale clues of our place in the hierarchy of simulation. Indeed, why would they create our simulation if not to shepherd it to that conclusion, divinizing us in turn with the power to simulate a world of our own? But for that outcome to be sure, one of the simulators would have to become part of the program. He would have to humble himself, taking the form of a simulant, offering himself up to save us from our pitiable state.

Perhaps he would even be killed, as Plato intuited in his parable of the cave — surely the earliest form of simulation theory — but in that case our creators wouldn’t simply give up on us. They would raise him up, in an unmistakable sign of their power and glory, validating his message and inviting all who listen to join a higher level of existence.

Truly, such novel, unprecedented vistas open up from this entirely secular, materialist theory forged by smart atheists! It makes one wish urgently for a seat at Davos or Aspen, where such deep thoughts can be thunk.

https://itself.wordpress.com/2016/10/12/simulatio-entis/

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007
Uh-huh. Perchance to dream.

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007

Real Actual Reason: in order for determinism to imply a lack of free will you basically wind up defining free will with some kind of "if you rewound time and played it again everything would happen the same way" argument which makes no sense from any actual in-universe / physical standpoint. Like yes from the point of view of a magical out of universe time-god or whatever that's the case but that's also a completely meaningless nonsense observation point since by definition it can never be shown to exist or have any bearing on anyone from inside the universe. Humans can be said to have effective free will because we can conceptualize several possible futures and act based on the one we want.

I would believe they thought this, if so many of them weren't actually humping "Sam's" INCREDIBLE INSIGHT AND UNDENIABLE GENIUS WHAT FLIES IN TEH FACE OF THE REGRESSIVE LEFT! They do actually go to bat for all of us being pre-programmed utilitarian sexbots often enough that I am pretty much okay mocking them .

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Night10194 posted:

There's a few interesting actual scientific avenues for establishing if we actually are in [certain types of] a simulation, but so far they've all come back negative and set a ridiculously high upper bound in terms of how "accurate" the simulation would have to be. So either we're real, the universe is such a good simulation as to be indiscernable from the actual universe (in which case it would require a quantum computer at least the volume of the actual universe to simulate it so why bother), or the simulation is happening on a much smaller scale, controlling neural inputs matrix-style, in which case a) the so what clause applies, and b) this case can be reduced enough to show that simulating everyone on earth's experience is basically indiscernible from and equivalent to simulating a single random guy's experience and faking other people. If this is the case all the actual investigations to "break us out" are pointless since the simulation can just simulate the scientists trying to break out of the simulation.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
This just in: Tech morons keep accidentally creating religion

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
A lot of nu atheists really lack the basic philosophy skills needed to actually be atheists.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
At a certain level of abstraction everything becomes God, or vice versa.

If you're an idiot.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ikanreed posted:

A lot of nu atheists really lack the basic philosophy skills needed to actually be atheists.

The universe is cold and meaningless and to be honest that is a relief

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One day we will all die and all our bad posts will be forgotten

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the way I see it, oblivion is preferable when the alternative is let's face it probably this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhmFPvJldeI&t=92s

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pomp posted:

The universe is cold and meaningless and to be honest that is a relief

I'm really super happy that when I'm dead there is not some weird vestige/spirit of me that will remain alive to know that i am dead because that seems horrible

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Don't worry.

We're already dead and this is hell.

How else did Donald Trump become the presidential nominee for one of the USA's major political parties?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I'm really super happy that when I'm dead there is not some weird vestige/spirit of me that will remain alive to know that i am dead because that seems horrible

There was an anti-drug PSA that I was made to watch in middle school where it turns out being dead is being suspended on a bench in a cold black void next to other people who died the same way you did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

Don't worry.

We're already dead and this is hell.

How else did Donald Trump become the presidential nominee for one of the USA's major political parties?

Racism, mostly.