Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

man i kinda wish i was playing the version everyone else is playing where the AI is actually starting poo poo, outside of some early classical era defending from russia i've slipped into the midgame doldrums of hitting end turn over and over eventually leading to a science win

besides that i'm really enjoying the game though, the district system really do feel like as big a game changer as they were pushing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Districts are super expensive and are competing with wonders for tile usage. At some point, going tall requires building districts, but why do that when you can just paint the map your color and resource hog your way to victory.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Tormented posted:

I'm not picking on you but I don't understand why people tell me how I should play my games. Shockingly not all people think alike.

I'm making up a complete and total strawman of what someone actually said in order to score e-peen points on an internet comedy forum.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Brannock posted:

Are you still at war with the civ you conquered that city from?

I'm betting you cut a peace deal for that other city.

No, the war's been over for ages. The first city was the only one they had though. The other civ still exists for this problem one. Can you just not use cities you conquer unless you destroy the entire civ? :psyduck:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I don't know if I got lucky or what but I went in pretty much blind on my first game as Rome on Prince and it was a cruise to a science victory. I really don't think you need to optimize that much even on King to do well.

The AI has a tendency to declare dumb wars on you. Barbarossa declared on me just as I was getting Legions online and I clowned him. Then Gilgamesh made the same mistake. After I'd consolidated on half a continent on a Continents map I just turtled my way to a spaceship victory. I could've probably gotten a cultural one instead if I'd known to focus on it earlier, but science remains the standard victory method if you can't figure out anything else and build a lot of infrastructure.

You probably get tech way too fast. I was up to future tech ten by the time I won on turn 400 of a 500 turn game. It's too easy to cheese eurekas. If eurekas were randomized and secret it might be more interesting and slower paced.

Mostly I'm struck by the amount of polish (I mean there's an actual victory cinematic now, after V I feel almost spoiled) and how they've reworked the formula while keeping it familiar, and there's depth right out of the gate without having to wait for expansions.

I made a custom religion, give it the turtle symbol and named it A'Tuinism.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

No, the war's been over for ages. The first city was the only one they had though. The other civ still exists for this problem one. Can you just not use cities you conquer unless you destroy the entire civ? :psyduck:

You can, but you have to get them to cede the city to you in a peace deal. Until it's officially "ceded" to you via diplomacy you're just occupying their city, it's not your city. Either that or wipe them out.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Playing on ultrawide monitor is GLORIOUS!

That said there are some terrible UI issues that need to be worked out.
But I am having a great time. Played for 5 hours last night.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Magil Zeal posted:

You can, but you have to get them to cede the city to you in a peace deal. Until it's officially "ceded" to you via diplomacy you're just occupying their city, it's not your city. Either that or wipe them out.

Oh, okay. Well gently caress that would have been nice to know about before. Fortunately everyone in my game is completely insane so they'll probably attack me again soon.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Holy cow I was kinda worried about this game because of the cartoony graphics but I am glad I got it. It just feels awesome, for my first game I started blind and I find myself not really understanding districts, also the limited actions before expiring on builders is kinda infuriating but I guess I should get used to queuing a few up before tying all my cities production up.

Nthing the request for some "newbie" advice on the above mentioned things, I fear districts will eat up my resources and drain my production capacity for units and buildings but something eludes me surely - what should I prioritize early game besides enough units to keep barbarians to steamroll me?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Fair warning, Envoys and City States can be rage inducing. I was playing a game last night where I took over Egypt (only one city) who somehow had an iron resource that I gained as well. I spent at least 45 minutes trying to figure out how they had an iron resource because there was nothing in the range of their city and they didn't have any special building or other odd item that I thought could be providing it. I eventually just assumed it was a bug that they must have gotten it for free for being the AI and it didn't clear properly when I took them over, which pissed me off (that the AI got such a crazy bonus).

However this morning I realized what happened was I had three envoys in a city state for the bonus but I was now their suzerain, Egypt was. When I killed Egypt that investment went away and I was left with the most Envoys and gained control of their resources... to include one iron deposit.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Is Greenman Gaming still the best available deal for this game? steep entry price, considering both my girlfriend and I want a copy. Justifying a 2x $80 CAD purchase is really hard, even in spite of our ridiculous hours/investment in Civ V (>3000 between the two of us).

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I'm really enjoying this game.

I don't have a clue how to place districts though.

Buenos Aires's Suzerain buff is insane. My empire literally goes from happy and dancing on sunshine to about to revolt depending on if someone takes it from me.

Religious pressure is....I'm not sure how it works. Do you not convert nearby cities passively anymore or is there just no way to see it?

AI goes to war with itself and you and city states. Hooray! France and Kongo both attacked me very early and I had to scramble to fight them off. I'm not sure how you satisfy France's agenda before you can spy but they weren't happy about something or other. Kongo were just being jerks. Had to scramble to buy archers but managed to kill enough of them that they both sued for peace. I got Kongo's relic out of it and then after the cease fire was over did a formal renounce/dow on them and took one of their cities.

Then they demanded I remove my units from their border. My border was touching theirs and nothing was outside of my territory. I got a diplomacy hit for saying I would when I figured I was allowed to have a unit fortified in my own city. Apparently not. I'll just ignore the request next time.

Now I have to go to work. :saddowns:

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Here goes my Peruvian Goon Review©:

"This game is the Tits"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The UI in this game is superficially good but the more you dig the shittier it gets. A lot of information is needlessly obsfucated.

I have yet to find any way of predicting natural border expansion for example.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
Auto unit cycling is extremely annoying. No game I don't want you to go half way across the map and select my settler while I'm in the middle of a god drat war. Oh look now my archer is moving away.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

I played a little over a hundred turns last night and this game is Good. The UI is extremely annoying though and it's probably on the easy side.

I started on emperor having usually played immortal in 5 and I'm even or ahead in most respects when I really don't know what I'm doing yet. Norway declared war on me (good) but he just fed me 5 warriors and an archer before I took his capital with two archers and a legion (not so good).

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Here's a tip that's probably obvious to everyone but me: when selecting city sites, overvalue water. Get those river spots. It's so important. You get those cities filled up to 6, everything goes smoother.

You can't really do a production snowball with only 2 pops, you can't build things that give you more production, so those cities remain functionally useless until aqueducts (+ the time it takes to build an aqueduct, which can be significant) and having a dead weight city around for that long can gently caress up your entire game

Sucks if you don't start near rivers/lakes, lol

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
First game trip report on King playing as Aztecs.

Barbarians were plentiful but easily dealt with using the +5 combat vs barb civic. Remember, you can change your civics for free whenever you research a new policy.

Went aggressive early and capped a city state with just four units since it didn't have walls. Then captured London because the English were apparently having way more trouble with barbarians than I was--they had a single, damaged chariot and a couple barb units roaming the territory of their single city. They did have walls, but 3 archers and 3 eagle warriors are amazing, especially using the oligarchy for a free combat boost against all.

Spammed a few cities after that. The captured builders are incredible for rushing districts. Befriended a city-state that let me buy a bunch of city-center buildings with faith as its special. I'm talking 90 faith for a granary here, and I was pumping some 25 faith a turn at that point. Soon my six cities all had granaries and water wheels. Managed to snag Stonehenge and started a pretty underwhelming religion.

Went after Spain next, they had about four units defending their three cities, and didn't even have walls in their capital. Pillaging their holy district repeatedly gave me enough faith for another building buy. Pillaging farms is a big heal, as are promotions, but both take a full turn of movement now (though promotions can be taken after you move, while pillaging cannot, at least for two movement units).

Gorgo is nearby and she actually has a bunch of swordsmen, so I'm just trading with her. Apparently she respects civs that do not capitulate, which is good for me.

At this point I'm well ahead of everyone I've met in tech (made sure to boost my techs before getting to halfway finished about 80% of the time) and I'm about to snag monarchy. It would be really tough to get all the districts I need except for all these captured builders. On top of that my own built or purchased builders can now do seven actions, which is incredible. That's enough to rush an entire district and do at least two tile improvements as well!

I noticed that the buildings you plop in districts are far cheaper than the district itself. Specializing your cities is good, spamming districts is probably bad unless you are the Aztecs.

Overall, the AI still feels way too weak, but I'm pretty happy with the barbarians at this point. AI should settle more and have a higher baseline for military production even with "peaceful" personalities. I'll be playing on emperor next time, though, which is what I typically played against in Civ 5 anyway.

I like the new way that roads and movement work, even if they slow down movement a bit. It adds layer of strategy, and horseback units feel more appealing, as do fortified positions on hills (for archers).

I think I encountered a bug as well--my eagle warriors and archers gained an extra movement point when I upgraded them to swordsmen and xbows. Surely xbows don't have three movement on top of their ludicrous combat stats??

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
started a game, got a holy relic from a tribal village. blood of the martyr, +4 faith and +8 tourism

...as kongo :negative:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Huxley posted:

My PC is pretty old but it ran Civ V just fine. Will I be OK with this one, or is the bump in requirements actually necessary? Am I going to set my PC on fire?

I turned down shadows and water effects before ever starting (so I may even be able to bump them up), but Civ VI is running just as well as V did on my aging rig.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

boner confessor posted:

started a game, got a holy relic from a tribal village. blood of the martyr, +4 faith and +8 tourism

...as kongo :negative:

What are you talking about, relics are fantastic for Kongo, you get food, gold, and production out of relics, sculptures (not paintings, writing or music) and artifacts. Snatch up relics and artifacts whenever you can, and don't fall for the trap of stuffing your palace slots with great works of writing. The faith means an early pantheon, which you can use to pick up something like Divine Spark so you can keep getting those Great People Points.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

The main theme needs to be worse, I'm never gonna pick a Civ to play at this rate.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
:rip: here lies tiler, killed by neglecting amenities :rip:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

This game needs a DLC already or at least a big patch and that's a bad thing.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Maguoob posted:

Auto unit cycling is extremely annoying. No game I don't want you to go half way across the map and select my settler while I'm in the middle of a god drat war. Oh look now my archer is moving away.

This really should be an ingame option, but until it is, you can turn it off by going to Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\UserOptions.txt and turning it from 1 to 0.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Continents are a bit bugged, eh?

Instantly got the eureka boost for finding a continent on my first turn.

lol actually in a multiplayer game I'm currently in, there's a 2 tile mountain natural wonder (doubles tile yields all around it) near my start in the middle of my continent, but the 2 mountain tiles themselves count as a completely separate continent. So I got the new continent and natural wonder eureka when I discovered it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Mokinokaro posted:

They were aiming for simultaneous release but didn't make it. Hopefully that means the Mac version won't take too long.

Agreed. I refunded the Windows version as it simply does not start at all. Did some reading and apparently there's a bunch of updates that it needs, but I couldn't figure it out. Spent an hour on it which is about 59 minutes more than anyone should have to bother with to get a game working on a freshly updated PC with brand new drivers.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Vox Nihili posted:

I think you need to make the aquaduct next to that river, where you currently have a farm. Aquaducts must essentially connect a fresh water source (river, lake, oasis, mountain) directly to the city center to function. I'm basing that on this guide:

Quoting this for myself until I can save a copy of it on my computer.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

You know how the cost of districts goes up? The Aztecs can use a builder to instantly knock 20% off a district's build time, and they can do that as many times as you'd like for each district. There's a Government policy that gives new builders 5 builds instead of 3. It doesn't seem like the cost of builders goes up. This effectively gives the Aztecs one district per builder, which is fantastic in the midgame when districts normally take 3 times the amount of time as a builder does AND you don't even have to use the city's own production to do it, you can ship it in from your better cities. This is even going into getting free builders from rear end kicking.

Aztecs own.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
w

XyrlocShammypants posted:

This game needs a DLC already or at least a big patch and that's a bad thing.

Why?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

SlyFrog posted:

I know I'm picking on you (you're just asking for general starter tips) when this is really more of a broader thing, but I really don't understand why people are so insistent on having everyone else explain how to destroy the game before they even play it. Isn't the point of the game to experiment and find out yourself how to beat it?

I'm already concerned that the AI will be weak. I'm certainly not going to compound that by asking a bunch of people how to exploit and crush the game. I'll just play it over and over to do my best to figure that out for myself.

Well conversely it feels really weird bringing over my Civ V and brave new world expectation and suddenly such (to me odd) rational like switching off research halfway through if you expect to eureka it seems like a good idea but understanding that might help, rather than me trawling through watching someone play and having the whole game experience spoiled. Also Some people like to understand the systematic assumptions and focus on execution, like how in trading card games some people like playing decks other people have blueprinted.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The diplomacy blurbs seem a bit off to me, at least in when you get them. I found a religion, and immediately on that turn Kongo is angry I haven't spread it? I'm doing whatever and Barbarossa is like "Good Job, to aid that city-state is to invite death"?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The diplomacy blurbs seem a bit off to me, at least in when you get them. I found a religion, and immediately on that turn Kongo is angry I haven't spread it? I'm doing whatever and Barbarossa is like "Good Job, to aid that city-state is to invite death"?

those are their agendas. Kongo wants to be converted, Barbarossa hates when anyone but him touches city states

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I know those are their agendas, but maybe it would be good to have a neutral blurb so literally the first thing I see isn't Kongo being angry about it, and I get that Barbarossa notice like every 10 turns

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

:sigh:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Player Agenda: Hates it when AI's repeatedly message. Loves messaging AI's.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Powercrazy posted:

Player Agenda: Hates it when AI's repeatedly message. Loves messaging AI's.

This is my only major bitch right now, holy poo poo I don't care Mr AI, I wanna get on with the game.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
On Prince with the "standard" map settings, research speed feels absurdly fast to me compared to the rate at which stuff actually gets built. It feels silly to hit Medieval era without even trying before I've even built a shrine or whatever.

Brannock posted:

The art style is really growing on me. It looks godawful in screenshots, but when actually playing I really appreciate how clean and readable everything is.

It feels especially notable compared to my repeated attempts to play Endless Legend and going cross-eyed at how busy the EL map is all the time.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Magil Zeal posted:

This, but more because you can disband units for 2 gold per cog and buy units and buildings at 4 gold per cog. And there's a policy to increase production of cavalry by 100%.

Scythia makes a killing off of building two horsemen for the price of one-half, and then disbanding them for mad monies.

goddamn this is a hot tip.

when my :horse: aren't running over everything, I can sell them for :homebrew:

always's be building :horse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

What the hell are those 'Star' adjacency markers for? Do you actually get some bonus for being adjacent to other districts/the city center?

For actual production bonuses, it shows +ind/+sci/+gold, but what is this unmarked star bonus?

For reference, this is an Industrial Zone being placed