Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I think the Pixels look fine, but the solid white glass panel on the back of the aluminum model is a eyesore. A black panel would have probably looked far better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Glass backs on phones are of the devil, because they double your chances of cracking a screen when you drop the thing. At least on Samsung, replacing the back glass is way cheaper than replacing the front glass ($71), but it's still an unneeded risk.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

As I said last time, if the software on 2 phones is identical, but one gets bricked, its a hardware issue, just as they have stated multiple times

You really think if it was a fix that could be done in software they'd be replacing hardware under warranty at much greater cost?

What I am saying is why doesn't 6.0 have a problem with the hardware?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Glass backs on phones are of the devil, because they double your chances of cracking a screen when you drop the thing. At least on Samsung, replacing the back glass is way cheaper than replacing the front glass ($71), but it's still an unneeded risk.

True, but that's why you:

A) Put a case on it
B) Put a skin on it
C) Grip tape

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Shoren posted:

The Pixel design piggybacks on HTC design standards even if certain details weren't copied 1:1.

This is as bad as people posting vaguely similar car shapes and saying they share the same design language.

HTC doesn't do rear fingerprint sensors. HTC doesn't do chamfer edges. HTC doesn't do offset mounted cameras. HTC places the power button under the volume rocker.

You pick out any design element of the phone and your can't find an HTC analog except for the material.

The phone shares more design language with the iPhone than anything HTC produces.

I'm not arguing that the design isn't understated, it absolutely is. But they also didn't piggyback on any HTC designs.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

FogHelmut posted:

What I am saying is why doesn't 6.0 have a problem with the hardware?

If I had to guess (and I really am guessing here) I'd say something about the size or partition layout of 7 that is lighting up a certain combination of memory cells during flashing that breaks something

A combination that's unavoidable and shouldn't be breaking in correctly functioning hardware

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

....I kinda really like this thing.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

If I had to guess (and I really am guessing here) I'd say something about the size or partition layout of 7 that is lighting up a certain combination of memory cells during flashing that breaks something

A combination that's unavoidable and shouldn't be breaking in correctly functioning hardware

Is software not more fluid in its ability to deal with these things? I guess its ultimately like the hardware they used to test was not the same as the hardware sold to all consumers and its too late to go back and rewrite things.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

bull3964 posted:

This is as bad as people posting vaguely similar car shapes and saying they share the same design language.

HTC doesn't do rear fingerprint sensors. HTC doesn't do chamfer edges. HTC doesn't do offset mounted cameras. HTC places the power button under the volume rocker.

You pick out any design element of the phone and your can't find an HTC analog except for the material.

The phone shares more design language with the iPhone than anything HTC produces.

I'm not arguing that the design isn't understated, it absolutely is. But they also didn't piggyback on any HTC designs.

I'm talking on a macro level that the Pixel looks like Google took an HTC phone and reworked a few smaller features to fit the configuration of the internal components. Don't get me wrong, I still like the phone design, I just wanted more. I hope that Google was just playing it safe and future Pixel phones will come into their own.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

FogHelmut posted:

Is software not more fluid in its ability to deal with these things? I guess its ultimately like the hardware they used to test was not the same as the hardware sold to all consumers and its too late to go back and rewrite things.

Its only a very tiny percentage of them sold, its not a huge note 7 clusterfuck or anything

It probably didn't show up in testing as its so rare

I realise if you read Reddit or click bait articles then they make out like its an epidemic, but it really isnt. They'd have pulled the 7 images if it was that bad

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 21, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shoren posted:

I'm talking on a macro level that the Pixel looks like Google took an HTC phone and reworked a few smaller features to fit the configuration of the internal components. Don't get me wrong, I still like the phone design, I just wanted more. I hope that Google was just playing it safe and future Pixel phones will come into their own.

...Boy, that sure looks like every modern smartphone design.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I cannot believe that people are arguing about how one phone looks too much like another. Almost every phone looks like almost every other phone barring minor insignificant differences. Doubly so when it's a metal unibody. Who cares.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

technocr4t posted:

My brief experience so far with the Pixel is extremely positive. Don't believe the hate circlejerk.
I'm pretty sure there's 0 hate for the Pixel in the thread, it just costs too much

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Shoren posted:

You have to recognize though that the front view of any device isn't going to allow much room for variance. You could put a dozen phones side by side like that and get similar results.

We know from iFixit that the phone is designed internally unlike any htc device and everything aside from a slab of gorilla glass on the front is fully unique externally.

Having actually held the device now, I can say it is completely unlike any HTC device by feel too.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

PerrineClostermann posted:

...Boy, that sure looks like every modern smartphone design.

:shrug: That's what I just said.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
It does feel pretty nice in hand. ;)

Installing 85 apps takes a while, though. :(

Pixel is indeed very smooth. OTOH, screen protector and case went on before I first hit the power button. So feel in hand is...feels like a case. Welp.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Has anyone used the wired phone-to-phone migration tool?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

RZA Encryption posted:

My wife did and it worked great (Z5C to Pixel), I tried and it hung on "estimating time" and I ended up aborting out (Moto X 2014 to XL).

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

RZA Encryption posted:

Worked great 5x -> Pixel. Much faster using a cable to copy over data.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google has partnered with ubreakifix for flat price screen replacements with OEM parts.

http://phandroid.com/2016/10/21/google-pixel-ubreakifix-partnership/

$129 for Pixel and $149 for XL.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Google has partnered with ubreakifix for flat price screen replacements with OEM parts.

http://phandroid.com/2016/10/21/google-pixel-ubreakifix-partnership/

$129 for Pixel and $149 for XL.

That's really cool, and I wish I had known that before buying the protection plan.

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
My pixel is blue and sexy. So drat fast and I got my request in for my daydream headset because I'm really curious in checking that out.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

My pixel is blue and sexy. So drat fast and I got my request in for my daydream headset because I'm really curious in checking that out.

Did they send those requests out? I haven't seen one come through yet.

I wish the Pixel cases from Google were out. Come on, y'all.

You don't really notice how slow your old phone, even coming off a factory reset, is until you have a new one. This thing loving flies.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does the cable transfer do app data, or just things like SMS, which apps are installed, pictures?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Deathlove posted:

I wish the Pixel cases from Google were out. Come on, y'all.

You don't really notice how slow your old phone, even coming off a factory reset, is until you have a new one. This thing loving flies.

I'd say if the Pixel 2 or whatever is waterproof and the bezels are smaller, I'd jump on it. I won't be due an upgrade for another 18 months though. Surely the greatest thing about the Pixel is (almost) flagship-level hardware with up-to-date software.

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.

Deathlove posted:

:ssh: I got mine through Verizon. They had me go to vzw.com/digitalrebatecenter put in a promo code and upload the receipt and barcodes.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/21/android-7-1-feature-spotlight-verizon-visual-voicemail-works-stock-phone-app/

Verizon visual voicemail will work on Nexus devices come 7.1. Hail Satan.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm still stunned that it's taken this long. I just assumed it would have been integrated since the Froyo days when Verizon went all in on their Droid marketing.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
So it looks like the Pixel is more water resistant that advertised:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObhMgCT-Rzw

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Meanwhile, AT&T, afaik the first carrier with visual voicemail (via iPhone), still forces you to use a mediocre app rather than support native VVM in Android.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Half day XL report: battery is insanely good even with me peeking at the device every 30 seconds.

I have gone from 5.1.1 to 7.1 so I feel like I'm using a completely different ecosystem than I am used to.

The fingerprint scanner works super fast but has yet to activate when I don't want it to.

My "OK Google" success has been up and down, haven't had much time to test it in the office of course but it seems to work about as well as it did on my S6e.

Screen is nice and bright, even on battery saving mode.

Didn't come with headphones which was kinda weird. Came with a USB C to USB C cable and regular USB to USB C cable though.

e: I neglected to mention how insanely fast this device is this. It is sooooo smooth.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Deathlove posted:

Gotta say, I really haven't noticed any significant difference between my 6P and the Pixel. But then it seems I was somewhat lucky in having a 6P with no performance issues whatsoever. Even the Bluetooth worked great.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The Duggler posted:

Half day XL report: battery is insanely good even with me peeking at the device every 30 seconds.

I have gone from 5.1.1 to 7.1 so I feel like I'm using a completely different ecosystem than I am used to.

The fingerprint scanner works super fast but has yet to activate when I don't want it to.

My "OK Google" success has been up and down, haven't had much time to test it in the office of course but it seems to work about as well as it did on my S6e.

Screen is nice and bright, even on battery saving mode.

Didn't come with headphones which was kinda weird. Came with a USB C to USB C cable and regular USB to USB C cable though.

e: I neglected to mention how insanely fast this device is this. It is sooooo smooth.

Disappointed to hear about the headphones. I saw a picture of someone's and they looked really cool with a flat cable.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

RZA Encryption posted:

Disappointed to hear about the headphones. I saw a picture of someone's and they looked really cool with a flat cable.

I talked to the Google via the support chat feature they put right in the OS and they told me only India and Australia are getting the headphones. Not for Canada and US

Neat feature, they answered me basically instantly and the guy I talked with was clear and knew his stuff.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I got a V20 today. I went into sprint and asked about preordering and they said they got them early and I can just take one home now

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The Duggler posted:

I talked to the Google via the support chat feature they put right in the OS and they told me only India and Australia are getting the headphones. Not for Canada and US

Neat feature, they answered me basically instantly and the guy I talked with was clear and knew his stuff.

That stinks, but thanks for looking into it.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Yeah no headphones in Germany either.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
I think you had the same thing with the Nexus 5x and 6p. Some European models had headphones packaged with them, but the American and Canadian models did not.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Nodoze posted:

I got a V20 today. I went into sprint and asked about preordering and they said they got them early and I can just take one home now

What are your impressions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Luchadork posted:

I think you had the same thing with the Nexus 5x and 6p. Some European models had headphones packaged with them, but the American and Canadian models did not.

Is that like a law or something? Like how Apple had to include charger adapters to comply with USB standards (or something like that).