Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

achillesforever6 posted:

That and getting Forest Whitaker is just pandering to get the Black Demo and not because Forest Whitaker is a great actor.

I feel like RLM really overestimates how cynical Hollywood is

Yeah, although if it was any other criticism I'd say that being cynical by default is the correct position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
The only movie I've seen Forest Whitaker in was Battlefield Earth, so I don't think I have a very good perspective on his chops as an actor.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Well, he already pointed out his thoughts on TFA, I'm sure with Rogue One he's just expecting more of the same.

Rogue One is going to be a weird movie. I can't honestly say I'm the slightest bit excited for it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MrSlam posted:

The only movie I've seen Forest Whitaker in was Battlefield Earth, so I don't think I have a very good perspective on his chops as an actor.

He was in Catch.44, but I think he only took the role because they let him do silly voices the entire time

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
gently caress anyone who doesn't want to see Donnie Yen as a blind jedi.

gently caress anyone who doesn't want to see Donnie Yen in literally anything.

Shinjobi posted:

Rogue One is going to be a weird movie. I can't honestly say I'm the slightest bit excited for it.

This is the first I've been excited for.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

gently caress anyone who doesn't want to see Donnie Yen as a blind jedi.

gently caress anyone who doesn't want to see Donnie Yen in literally anything.

Same, same, same.

Rouge one gonna own.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Well, he already pointed out his thoughts on TFA, I'm sure with Rogue One he's just expecting more of the same.

It's some dumb plot about a Death Star again.

A Star Wars Dirty Dozen does sound fun though.

I really don't know what to make of it.

Here have a trailer for another loving Wolverine movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Div0iP65aZo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ultrabindu posted:

It's some dumb plot about a Death Star again.

Not just any Death Star but the exact same Death Star we saw at the end of Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith and also in Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope. The smallest and shittiest Death Star!

They just can't get enough of that Death Star.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MrSlam posted:

Ghost Dog and The Last King of Scotland are great if you want to see Forest Whitaker be a great actor; he was also the only one in Battlefield Earth self aware of how stupid the movie was and decided to have fun with it

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Not just any Death Star but the exact same Death Star we saw at the end of Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith and also in Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope. The smallest and shittiest Death Star!

Who the gently caress wants to write "the death star 2" or "the second death star" a million times in one script?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Deathstar: 1 planet, long setup, close range
Starkiller: 3+ planets, 1 sun, shot from far away

What's next, the galaxy? The UNIVERSE?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ultrabindu posted:

Am I crazy, or does that look really good?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Episode 8:

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

temple posted:

Episode 8:

Star Wars Episode VIII is going to be unlike anything we have ever seen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnlohR5-csE

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

temple posted:

Episode 8:

Lightsaber isn't reflecting the laser bolts 1/10.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Empire Strikes Back had no death star and is the best film in the series by a mile. Hmmmmm wonder if there is any correlation?

JB50 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 21, 2016

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

achillesforever6 posted:

That and getting Forest Whitaker is just pandering to get the Black Demo and not because Forest Whitaker is a great actor.

I feel like RLM really overestimates how cynical Hollywood is

Ah yes, the fresh new characters of "Hobbled, cynical black man," and "Blind, mystical, asian," those aren't tired stereotypes but are in fact progressive.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
is anyone gonna fight with a lightsaber at some point in rogue one cuz if not im out

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

Ghost Dog and The Last King of Scotland are great if you want to see Forest Whitaker be a great actor; he was also the only one in Battlefield Earth self aware of how stupid the movie was and decided to have fun with it

These are fantastic movies and much better than Rogue One will be.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I like how they always give the kinda racist bits to Rich. Bet Mike wrote the script.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Really wishing this film series based on classic war movies, serials, westerns, and old samurai flicks didn't have tropes in it.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'd just like to see a black character who isn't a stereotype, sorry massah

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Buschmaki posted:

I'd just like to see a black character who isn't a stereotype, sorry massah

I, too, am sick of seeing black actors only getting roles as cyborg jedi freedom fighters.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
That's not what a trope is, a character can also have unique elements while being stereotyped.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

priznat posted:

Same, same, same.

Rouge one gonna own.

No Kyle Katarn. Movie bad.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
As a liberal, I totally agree that the lead role, someone who grew up without a father to become a criminal, should have gone to a black man.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
https://twitter.com/JayBauman1/status/789107350095265792

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

As a liberal, I totally agree that the lead role, someone who grew up without a father to become a criminal, should have gone to a black man.

I'm a black man and would see nothing wrong with this if they handled it tastefully, but that would require more effort than putting minority cast members in stereotyped supporting roles while white people get all the character development.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
They also don't need to be the lead role for them to not be cast as stereotypes, what is your argument

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
unless youre will smith or denzel washington a black fella in a lead role means less money, soo

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I miss Lando.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Adventures of young Lando is the only spinoff I want to see.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Adventures of young Lando is the only spinoff I want to see.

This is where you've gone too far.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Lando wasn't in the Force Awakens because there can only be one black guy in Star Wars at any given time

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

ultrabindu posted:

I guess I'm dumb as all hell but this looks pretty good, so does Rouge One. I also don't know about Marvel all that much nor have watched any of the previous movies besides the very first X-Men one so ???

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Young Lando only if it plays like black dynamite in space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4kIaHc4tAs

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Gammatron 64 posted:

Lando wasn't in the Force Awakens because there can only be one black guy in Star Wars at any given time

who do you think emperor snoke is

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
The lady in rogue one is a million times hotter than rei. She can touch my lightsaber anytime

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I can tell that Logan movie is going to be good because my friend who loves lovely comic book movie says that trailer looks bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm borderline looking forward to Rogue One because it looks to be its own movie rather than a by the numbers remake of starwars.

• Locked thread