Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fil5000 posted:

Probably worth noting that Legend of the Cybermen is the end of a three story arc with Jamie. It's probably my favourite of the three but just be warned that if you grab it you're going in at the end of the three.

Does Last of the Cyberman tie in to that story arc as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

jivjov posted:

Does Last of the Cyberman tie in to that story arc as well?

I think there's a mention of it, but it's not otherwise related.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
How odd.

Well, I guess I'm picking up two full price stories as well! I seem to do that a lot with Colin Baker stories.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I promise myself I wouldn't buy any more Tom Baker Big Finish until I finished his actual television run. Which mean I really need to sit down and watch The Face of Evil this weekend.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

I really need to sit down and watch The Face of Evil this weekend.

This is the opposite of a problem.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

jivjov posted:

Do you not have the app? It's not quite direct to your brain...but it's way handier than managing files manually. I went from owning a dozen or so things to owning over 300 since the app released.

I didn't even know there was one! Thanks. I may have a new job that involves a lot more travel in a couple of weeks, and if it's one thing I have learned, it's never take a flight without the Doctor along.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

I promise myself I wouldn't buy any more Tom Baker Big Finish until I finished his actual television run. Which mean I really need to sit down and watch The Face of Evil this weekend.

Face of Evil is some quality classic Who, in my opinion.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

jivjov posted:

How odd.

Well, I guess I'm picking up two full price stories as well! I seem to do that a lot with Colin Baker stories.

The Companion Chronicle Night's Black Agents is also part of that arc! :eng101:

:unsmigghh:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

After The War posted:

The Companion Chronicle Night's Black Agents is also part of that arc! :eng101:

:unsmigghh:

Joke's on you; I bought all of the CCs when they were on sale a few weeks back. Yes, it was like $250.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

jivjov posted:

Joke's on you; I bought all of the CCs when they were on sale a few weeks back. Yes, it was like $250.

The joke's on... all of us.:smith: :respek: :shepspends:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

My Big Finish has gotten way lazier lately because my commute changed and putting them on my phone takes so much time. If Nick Briggs could just find a way to beam the stories into my brain, I'd be grateful.

Commute changes are a bitch. A few years back I was driving an hour back and forth every day so I got tons of listening done. Now I have about a half hour, so I can usually get in one ep or part of one. :sigh:

OTOH since I got a new phone I've finally been able to download and extract the files directly from the site to my phone which eliminated a lot of hoop jumping for me. If you have a newish phone and haven't tried to dl directly instead of to a pc and transferring to phone I'd give it a shot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah my commute used to be a lot longer and I usually listened to Big Finish along the way, now I have to work in time to keep up with the audios.... and they just keep making more, and it's all so interesting!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah my commute used to be a lot longer and I usually listened to Big Finish along the way, now I have to work in time to keep up with the audios.... and they just keep making more, and it's all so interesting!

It's like a full-time job, but unfortunately, it's one that you pay for rather than get paid for!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of Big Finish and the app, I discovered a really annoying bug with the iOS version. Already reported it to BF, so hopefully it'll get fixed soon, but here's the gist of it,
For those suffering the same problem:

The app doesn't purge itself of corrupted/partial/incomplete downloads well. I've had a handful of times where I started a download and then it seemed to abort itself; usually on 3G/LTE and/or if my phone locked while the download was live. Coming back to the app showed the story still in the cloud and not in my local library and I had to redownload. I discovered this morning that while I had 1 monthly, 1 CC, 1 Unbound, 1 Dalek Empire, and 1 Early Adventure in my local library, the app was taking up over 8gb of space. Deleted everything local, still taking up like 6.9gb. Had to delete the app and redownload.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Catching up on S9 now and man.. I forgot how much I dislike UNIT episodes.

They always feel like a terrible attempt to turn Doctor Who into 24.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Martytoof posted:

Catching up on S9 now and man.. I forgot how much I dislike UNIT episodes.

They always feel like a terrible attempt to turn Doctor Who into 24.

I know, I know, that's the from first story of Season 10.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Help, I watched Talons of Weng Chiang (every bit as good and casually racist as people say) and am thinking about moving the two C. Bakes/Jago and Litefoot Voyage... audios up in my queue but I'm worried that then I'll want to dive into their series proper next time it's on sale.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
You will.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

If it helps, theres a companions chronicle and about 4 seasons of J&L before those voyages take place.

not essential, but c'mon, they are pretty good.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Box of Bunnies posted:

Help, I watched Talons of Weng Chiang (every bit as good and casually racist as people say) and am thinking about moving the two C. Bakes/Jago and Litefoot Voyage... audios up in my queue but I'm worried that then I'll want to dive into their series proper next time it's on sale.

Would it be bad of me to quietly recommend Jago & Litefoot & Strax?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Box of Bunnies posted:

Just make it part of the plan. Then, there's nothing to worry about anymore. :thumbsup:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BSam posted:

If it helps, theres a companions chronicle and about 4 seasons of J&L before those voyages take place.

not essential, but c'mon, they are pretty good.

I'm a bit grumpy with myself for listening to those Voyage stories first...especially knowing that them getting transported forward in time is a major plot point in season 5

jivjov fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 17, 2016

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Looks like the first five or so series are on Audible, I guess it wouldn't hurt to grab a membership some time to try out to first one and get UNIT Dominion or the Fourth Doctor Lost Stories set or something for cheaper at the same time...

Is there some language where "Nicholas Briggs" is an anagram of Master because Big Finish feels like a very successful plot to drain resources from people.

CobiWann posted:

Would it be bad of me to quietly recommend Jago & Litefoot & Strax?

I did briefly consider dipping my toes in with that one yesterday

e: i went ahead and did a thing :negative:

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Oct 18, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Finished up The Fifth Traveller today. It would have been out of character for the Early Adventures line, but I really with Jospa had been introduced one story before this one, set him up as playing a really long con as a TARDIS Traveller.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
That's a good thing you did, Box of Bunnies. A very good thing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Sitting here watching the Ian Mckellan King Lear from a few years ago, and who should appear but Sylvester McCoy as Fool. And he plays his spoons! He's rrrrrrrrolling every R in sight!

I want more 7th Doc adventures. :allears:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Gallifrey season 4 is kind of... strange, but I think I'm starting to see what they're going for. Plus I got to hear this exchange earlier today:

Gallifrey Dissassembled posted:

Leela: If the Doctor is trapped on this world of “interventions” and “temporal operations”, we must rescue him.

Narvin: It isn’t like that, he didn’t just wander in like we did. This is his world, he doesn’t need rescuing.

Romana: If I know the Doctor, whatever Gallifrey he’s from, he most certainly needs rescuing. :rolleyes:

And then surprise guest appearance! :neckbeard:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Listened to The Holy Terror over the last couple of days and I'm not entirely sure what to make of the whole of it. I loved a lot of elements of the play but I'm not sure how well the juxtaposition of the Douglas Adamsesque humour (which I adore from the brilliant entire first episode to later lines like "the lying heretic tells the truth!") works with how dark the story gets at the end.

I know that unreal absurdity has to have some kind of seedy underbelly or eventual reveal to it but it just didn't entirely jive with me even though I did like each episode.

My first impression of Frobisher was good though, shame BF didn't do much more with him. At least I have Maltese Penguin to listen to whenever I decide to throw it in.

After The War posted:

That's a good thing you did, Box of Bunnies. A very good thing.

Seemed like a good chance to kill multiple Bakes with one glass of carrot juice in terms of finishing off my Troughton soundtracks, getting a few series of Jago & Litefoot to try out and grab a couple of the more expensive BF sets I was interested in for a little under :10bux: each.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 21, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Torchwood Archive released this morning, and there's a 15% discount on the first 12 of the single disc Torchwood releases. You have to use coupon code 15OFFTW rather than it just being an active discount though.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Torchwood Archive released this morning, and there's a 15% discount on the first 12 of the single disc Torchwood releases. You have to use coupon code 15OFFTW rather than it just being an active discount though.

The series bundles are automatically marked down the 15% too so it's a few bucks cheaper to just throw the 1-6 or 7-12 bundles into your basket than to add them individually and then apply the code.

Gonna grab the first series because I eternally hope to encounter the mythical good Torchwood.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If you've got the cash, I'd recommend grabbing both series. There are really good stories in both, and (in my opinion, of course) even the weaker audios aren't bad.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

If you've got the cash, I'd recommend grabbing both series. There are really good stories in both, and (in my opinion, of course) even the weaker audios aren't bad.

Really only have the money to get the first bundle this weekend, and after not quite liking Children of Earth as much as other people I think it's probably better I just dip my toes in with the first one before getting more invested in the series anyway.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

Really only have the money to get the first bundle this weekend, and after not quite liking Children of Earth as much as other people I think it's probably better I just dip my toes in with the first one before getting more invested in the series anyway.

Fair enough! For the future, if you want the Greatest Hits of series 2, Broken, Moving Target, and Zone 10 were my favorites, in that order. Ghost Mission was good fun too...but I realize an Andy-centric story is a bit of a hard sell.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's a silly thing, but The Holy Terror takes a serious hit for me in that I think the "child" voice is really awful, both in terms of the voice effect they use and the writing of the character. If they'd nailed that voice/effect the audio would have been an absolute classic otherwise. As it is, it's still very good and Colin Baker is amazing (a redundant statement I know) but the voice.... the voice is so bad :sigh:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
What's nice is worrying about having the money to buy the new Torchwood release...and then realizing you already bought it.

Maybe this whole "being an adult and having disposable income" thing isn't so bad.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

It's a silly thing, but The Holy Terror takes a serious hit for me in that I think the "child" voice is really awful, both in terms of the voice effect they use and the writing of the character. If they'd nailed that voice/effect the audio would have been an absolute classic otherwise. As it is, it's still very good and Colin Baker is amazing (a redundant statement I know) but the voice.... the voice is so bad :sigh:

Still less irritating than the Frobisher voice :colbert:

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I will not stand for such slander against Robert "Zbrigniev" Jezek, genuine Canadian American.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Is there any demand for a Class thread?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Yeah, like... it sort of works because Frobisher learned to be a Bogart-like detective by osmosis but boy howdy is it annoying.

Whether you like the Holy Terror is entirely whether the child voice is creepy (it was for me) or silly (as it is for some people), and that's okay. It's a matter of taste and neither viewpoint is wrong, and like all Big Finish, the reason it works so well for some is that it took a huge risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainYesterday posted:

Is there any demand for a Class thread?

I can't see why there would be, but maybe?

• Locked thread