Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Tatsuta Age posted:

my new 3dsxl gets like 8 hours you liar!!!!

Yeah the New Switch/blade Super XL version will prob have better battery life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Soul Glo posted:

Yeah the New Switch/blade Super XL version will prob have better battery life

Introducing the New Switch XL!

*it's just a laptop with HDMI out*

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Super No Vacancy posted:

ubisoft source said 3 hours battery in which case just ship these straight to the trash

Why? How many of you are actually going to bring this to the park or some crap and play for more than 3 hours? And even if you were, why not just bring a battery pack or two as well to give this thing a good 4 - 5 charges. My use case is fine as I'll be using this 99% of the time in my house anyways and will be near a charging outlet almost at all times. I'd like 5 hours just so I wouldn't have to tether SUPER often, but 3 is still fine.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Nintendo isn't apple, the older controllers will work. Wasnt the the n64 the last non backwards compatible device?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

InFlames235 posted:

Why? How many of you are actually going to bring this to the park or some crap and play for more than 3 hours? And even if you were, why not just bring a battery pack or two as well to give this thing a good 4 - 5 charges. My use case is fine as I'll be using this 99% of the time in my house anyways and will be near a charging outlet almost at all times. I'd like 5 hours just so I wouldn't have to tether SUPER often, but 3 is still fine.

This this this. I don't know where yall are going where you're gonna be playing video games for stretches of longer than 2 hours without taking a break besides your house/apartment/lair. Usually the pro strat is to sleep through international flights.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

Nintendo isn't apple, the older controllers will work. Wasnt the the n64 the last non backwards compatible device?

wii motes need a sensor bar though

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Waltzing Along posted:

The old controllers working is actually an active detriment to developers though. I think these will not be compatible with any Wii or WiiU controller.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I mean if I have to buy another one of these bog-standard pads instead of using my pro controller I'll be angry

lol dude your ""pro"" controller doesnt have necessary and important gyro control

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I am oddly excited about the possibility of weird game-specific Joy-Cons. Hope that gets past the concept art stage.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

wii motes need a sensor bar though

Wii U Gamepad had a built-in sensor bar, you can point Wiimotes at the Gamepad just fine. Sure, I wouldn't exactly recommend it, but it works.

There wouldn't be an issue if they needed to build a sensor bar into the Switch gamepad.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Minidust posted:

I am oddly excited about the possibility of weird game-specific Joy-Cons. Hope that gets past the concept art stage.

*fan art

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
i like joycons

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Famitsu asked Nintendo if Switch would have access to smartphone games and Nintendo said they couldn't comment, so I'm going to continue to assume the OS is Android-based

if they try to do what Amazon did and block off Google Play or w/e, I dunno, tough to try and build up their own Android app storefront, I gotta imagine, that will never be better than third-best anyway

they also don't seem like the kind of company that would ever allow unauthorized Android apps to run either

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

They're probably whatever is on the other end of the charging cable for the Joycon Grip and the Pro Controller, which hopefully is just USB.

wiimotes used "just usb" technically but had proprietary shaped connectors

not looking forward to overpaying for storage on an external drive

but if nintendo makes something that fits better then those poo poo y cables you can buy for the wii u
maybe

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think they will have their own OS not based on Android most likely. Android sucks when it comes to the kind of things a game system needs to do and is way too bloated.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Quest For Glory II posted:

Famitsu asked Nintendo if Switch would have access to smartphone games and Nintendo said they couldn't comment, so I'm going to continue to assume the OS is Android-based

if they try to do what Amazon did and block off Google Play or w/e, I dunno, tough to try and build up their own Android app storefront, I gotta imagine, that will never be better than third-best anyway

they also don't seem like the kind of company that would ever allow unauthorized Android apps to run either

On my phone but Google it. Like one of the few previously confirmed details is it is not Android based

e: That's what they said to WSJ last year. http://www.rheena.com/articles/nintendo-games-consoles-aa/377229-nintendo-nx-won%E2%80%99t-run-on-android

Manky fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 21, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I hope we are approaching a future in which I'll be able to play Ace Attorney on the Big TV.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Now that the cat's out of the bag I can throw you folks some more curveballs from behind the scenes. Adapters for NES, SNES and N64 controllers. Virtual Console supported. How do you fancy that, hmm?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

ubisoft source said 3 hours battery in which case just ship these straight to the trash

countdown until reggie is like "you dont need more than 3 hours on the go, its plenty of time to have an afternoon rooftop party. clean your fridge, nerds."

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

deadly_pudding posted:

I hope we are approaching a future in which I'll be able to play Ace Attorney on the Big TV.
this already was a thing for the original trilogy, for the original Wii on Wii Shop

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

6 seconds of Mario. 11 minutes of analysis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFGAJtnky7A

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
If you think it's terrible, stop linking to it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
CONTENT!

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Quest For Glory II posted:

Android is an unreliable operating system, especially in regard to input latency. There's no way they're using it.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
There's only two things I think seem dumb about the Switch. The name and the fact there is no one that wants to ay multiplayer on a tiny screen with two micro controllers. Other then that I think it has major potential and unifying the portable and home console was genius because of how much they hosed up with the WiiU. If it's $250 I'm in Day 1.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

After the wii u launch price i'm not betting on a cheap price for Switch just because Nintendo always wants to make a profit on hardware sales as soon as possible

Of course the U was hosed by the Gamepad adding $80 in manufacturing costs per unit... so it is a bit different this time

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Hace posted:

Android is an unreliable operating system, especially in regard to input latency. There's no way they're using it.

Correct. A Nintendo spokesperson said so last year.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I like that you can do local MP on two Switch's. Won't matter to me as how mine will never leave the dock, but it seems cool like a console version of 3DS MP.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Rad Valtar posted:

There's only two things I think seem dumb about the Switch. The name and the fact there is no one that wants to ay multiplayer on a tiny screen with two micro controllers. Other then that I think it has major potential and unifying the portable and home console was genius because of how much they hosed up with the WiiU. If it's $250 I'm in Day 1.

I dunno, something like nidhogg would be fun and fine to play like that. Or any other simple local multiplayer game. I'm not gonna play 2k or something like that tho

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, I want to read my TV, too.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

deadly_pudding posted:

This this this. I don't know where yall are going where you're gonna be playing video games for stretches of longer than 2 hours without taking a break besides your house/apartment/lair. Usually the pro strat is to sleep through international flights.

The bus commute jerk :mad:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rad Valtar posted:

if i can play jackal on an airplane with my seatmate its worth it

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I have no problem with 3 hours(which in my experience is longer cause I keep brightness and sound low) because the system is primarily a home console. Which sometimes you'll take out(and you can probably charge it separate from the dock).

If you have the opportunity for 3 or more hours of gaming on the go before touching home or somewhere else you can charge, I envy you.

This might be more of a problem for kids I suppose.

But my use case is, if I'm taking this out, I'll get maybe 30 minutes to play during lunch. The most I'll be playing in portable mode is probably when traveling which can be an all day affair with a lot of downtime, but generally when traveling you are surrounded by USB or other power outlets.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

zolthorg posted:

this is what i really want to know, logic dictates usb but they look so weird

It's the shadow making it look less rectangular than it really is. They're USB.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

deadly_pudding posted:

My train commute is 2 hours a day... but even then I doubt I'd play the system for two hours away from home each day

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Real hurthling! posted:

if i can play jackal on an airplane with my seatmate its worth it

You're right I was thinking more that people are not going to go to a park or a coffee shop and do that it's definitely specific to instances where you are stuck somewhere. The video showed guys using if after a pick up basketball game. That's never going to happen.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Reiley posted:

Now that the cat's out of the bag I can throw you folks some more curveballs from behind the scenes. Adapters for NES, SNES and N64 controllers. Virtual Console supported. How do you fancy that, hmm?

I did see a port on the back side of the dock in one of the pics that looked like the connector on the bottom of Wii remotes. Just one, though. Is the adapter for that or is that what the USB ports are for?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

isn't half the reason portables are big in japan because people have like 90 minutes train commutes each way

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If docks are completely interchangeable and not tied to a specific Switch that would be awesome. Wanna show a friend your game or you have better save data for multiplayer? Just put yours in the dock.

Hook different docks to different TVs in your house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hace posted:

Redbull seems convinced the Switch runs Android, or a fork of it or whatever. http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories/1331825075599/nintendo-switch-games-console-questions

• Locked thread