Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

I mean, the title kinda gives it away

I should've mentioned that I forgot what the episode was called and only noticed that halfway through ;)

Anyway, Playtest:

Didn't care for this one much. The main dude was generally just pretty unpleasant and as Rarity said it didn't really have much it was trying to say.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I just tried to make the universe collapse in an irony singularity by watching "Playtest" in VR.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Playtest

Actually having a terrible fear of spiders really elevated that episode to another level for me. I've seen some people say that it didn't feel like it had anything to say but I don't agree with that. The overarching message I got from it was that you can't run from your problems as they will always catch up with you be it in the physical sense or in the form of your conscience. I liked it but it's definitely one of the weaker episodes they have done.

Gordong Dongbay fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 21, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't wanna watch any more

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
While people might argue that Playtest had no point, I will say that (a) I liked it a lot, (b) it scared the everloving poo poo out me, and (c) I called my mom after watching it to apologize for an argument we had last week. :ohdear:

So far for me I'd say it goes 5 , 3 , 2 , 1 from favorite to least.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't wanna watch any more

Same but only because I already finished it all.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Watched two so far, loved Nosedive and Playtest was a bit wank.

Though I should probably call my Mom now.

Fans fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 21, 2016

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I honestly think Playtest is going to be one of those episodes that you think is poo poo now but after you've digested it and maybe watched it again you will like it. There is a lot of subtle stuff in it I didn't pick up first time around I feel like.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I had to take a break after Shut Up and Dance, as indicated by my last post

God that was just loving brutal. I kept waiting the whole time for Kenny to reach his breaking point and say gently caress it, and it just kept not coming. The reveal of the horrible true reason why was just such a gut punch. Everything about that episode was so deeply horrifying and the Troll Face was the perfect capstone.

Finally ready for more, so here I go

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Gordong Dongbay posted:

I honestly think Playtest is going to be one of those episodes that you think is poo poo now but after you've digested it and maybe watched it again you will like it. There is a lot of subtle stuff in it I didn't pick up first time around I feel like.

The ultimate twist is basically Turn your phone off on a plane when asked please it's a bit silly. It feels like it was making fun of Black Mirror's nature for twists more than anything.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fans posted:

The ultimate twist is basically Turn your phone off on a plane when asked please it's a bit silly. It feels like it was making fun of Black Mirror's nature for twists more than anything.

Too me the ultimate twist was that if he would have just spoken to his mother instead of running away from his problems he wouldn't be in this mess. He left his mother an absolute wreck because he couldn't face the slow death of his father. His ultimate fear in the end was facing the same fate, hence him imagining he forgot his identity and his mother doing the same before he died. Don't run from your problems, they will catch up to you in the end. Better to face them head on.

The entire episode was tongue in cheek though. It played on a lot of horror tropes. "He is going to be right behind the door when I close it isn't he?"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Actually I guess I won't be watching more because now Netflix is being DDOS'd

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 21, 2016

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Regy Rusty posted:

Actually I guess I won't be watching more because now Netflix is being DDOS'd

It's working fine for me on the east coast of the US. Maybe it's only down in certain areas or countries?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gordong Dongbay posted:

It's working fine for me on the east coast of the US. Maybe it's only down in certain areas or countries?

Idk that's where I am too, but it's not working and I googled it and a bunch of sites like Netflix and Twitter are being affected

Eelface
Jul 23, 2002

I watched the first 3 in a row last night before passing out. Some good advise is to not do that

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Well my Netflix cut out two minutes after I finished Nosedive, which is good timing I guess.

It was alright? The lead did a fantastic job and the setting was well realised, the 'influencer package' for the house and the temporary point drop from airport security were great little touches, but the plot didn't really hold up well for me. Details like the magic quad-bike are one thing but her whole motivation to get to the wedding after being uninvited didn't make any sense.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Binged all 6, a lot of solid texture and tone, particularly in "San Junipero", but nothing truly memorable or haunting like the first two seasons. I honestly don't think anything can top the absolute existential bleakness of "White Christmas", which still stands as the series masterpiece.

Regarding "Men Against Fire", it isn't exactly based on a revolutionary premise, but I feel like I saw a high-production value digital short on vimeo or youtube a few years ago that had the exact same twist and reveal. Anyone else know what I'm referring to or remember its name?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I really liked Nosedive. Playtest was okay, but it just wasn't up to standard for Black Mirror.

Shut Up and Dance, though, was incredible and soul-destroying.

Regy Rusty posted:

God that was just loving brutal. I kept waiting the whole time for Kenny to reach his breaking point and say gently caress it, and it just kept not coming. The reveal of the horrible true reason why was just such a gut punch. Everything about that episode was so deeply horrifying and the Troll Face was the perfect capstone.

Yeah. Before this episode, I would have told you that putting trollface on the screen would have ruined the impact of dramatic moments, but it was goddamn terrifying the way it worked..

gently caress! I need a break.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Alright I'm loving done.

hated by the nation i moused over the spoiler above and thought i'd ruined a 90 minute episode but luckily that wasn't the case. not as soul destroying as the other episodes but even so. i really liked it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Zenithe posted:

:stare:I just remembered a certain interaction the main character had at the very beginning :catstare: gently caress this episode.

I think I missed this - do I want to know?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I think I missed this - do I want to know?

honestly?, no

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oh gently caress I just remembered :stare:

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Men Against Fire is by far the weakest one in my opinion.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Regarding "Men Against Fire", it isn't exactly based on a revolutionary premise, but I feel like I saw a high-production value digital short on vimeo or youtube a few years ago that had the exact same twist and reveal. Anyone else know what I'm referring to or remember its name?

Most likely Uncanny Valley. I thought the same thing.

Playtest:
Interesting setup, but the ending kinda fell flat for me. I did notice a very distinct "Would you kindly" which given the nature of the episode was almost certainly a Bioshock nod rather than coincidence. I'll probably go back through and see if I can find any other references.

San Junipero:
This episode was amazing and completely blindsided me. I come into black mirror expecting bleak, and it felt like the slow reveal was just the right amount of vague to keep me guessing if the people were time travelers and what the inevitable "Bad Thing" was going to be. It was a legitimately happy episode once everything is revealed, which I was completely unready for. :unsmith:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just watched Nosedive, really liked it.

If you like the general concept, that kind of "social media/augmented reality to the extreme" is one aspect of the novel Love Minus Eighty by Will McIntosh. Actually the other plot point of the novel (terminally-injured women being frozen and men paying to revive and heal them and sign them into trophy wife contracts) might also appeal to Black Mirror viewers.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't super impressed by Playtest overall - I think it works better in individual moments than when you look at the big picture. The lead character really sucked but the dude from Everybody Wants Some is such a likeable actor that it balances out. The Bioshock reference was a cute moment though.

Now onto Men Against Fire. Is this episode set in the Wayward Pines universe?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Omg San Junipero:

It made me cry cause I'm a huge sucker. It was really perfect because Black Mirror has so conditioned me to expect bleakness and then it just totally was not. That was perfect. I kinda wish I'd watched it last actually because I know now I'm going to go right back into misery. I think after I finish I might consider recommending to other people I know that they should leave it for the last one they watch.

It was so nice. :unsmith:

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012

Lady Galaga posted:

I thought you photoshopped this but it was actually in the episode, that's amazing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

i mean it was fairly obvious what the real reason was from the very beginning but it was def the white bear of this season.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

gently caress episode 3

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

i mean it was fairly obvious what the real reason was from the very beginning but it was def the white bear of this season.

Okay well I fell for it :shrug:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Shut Up and Dance: The kid was so good at playing innocent that when the guy at the end asked him "how old were they?" and the kid could barely answer, for a moment I thought, "Poor kid's so broken up about what's happening to him that he can't even tell him he's just scared of all his friends and classmates seeing him wank." Then it hit me what the real reason was.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

Shut Up and Dance: The kid was so good at playing innocent that when the guy at the end asked him "how old were they?" and the kid could barely answer, for a moment I thought, "Poor kid's so broken up about what's happening to him that he can't even tell him he's just scared of all his friends and classmates seeing him wank." Then it hit me what the real reason was.

Yeah this was what happened to me too. There's this moment of confusion and then finally I realized that the blackmailers had engineered the worst fate for the two they most wanted to punish. It was really effective and I'm honestly glad I bought his story for as long as I did.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Lady Galaga posted:

that's going in the OP!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Idiootti posted:

I thought you photoshopped this but it was actually in the episode, that's amazing.

Oh god Brooker knows, this is what technology has wrought :tinfoil:

The Black Mirror is us :gonk:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

Okay well I fell for it :shrug:

if you meant the real reason he had to do the stuff they telegraphed it super hard when he gives the little girl the toy. plus nobody's gonna do all that poo poo just so nobody sees a video of them jerking off. unless you mean the reveal they were just trolling, that was legit good.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Jesus gently caress, Shup Up and Dance could you be any more bleak. I didn't see the fact It was pretty much White Bear all over, but with vigilantes this time right until the end so more fool me.

Fans fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 22, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

if you meant the real reason he had to do the stuff they telegraphed it super hard when he gives the little girl the toy. plus nobody's gonna do all that poo poo just so nobody sees a video of them jerking off. unless you mean the reveal they were just trolling, that was legit good.

It really was not obvious to me. This basically summed up what was going through my head:

Rarity posted:

2. Shut Up and Dance - Oh man, the last 5-10 minutes are absolutely killer and completely turn the episode around (very similar to White Bear in that regard). The 'he's into kids' reveal was so well done because the whole way through I was thinking that this dude was freaking out a bit too much for just getting caught jerking off. Sidebar: mad props to casting the character as a teen cause they hit the perfect age where I thought he was freaking out too much but just wrote it off as him being a teenager. And then the trollface at the end makes the whole thing perfect. Internet people are assholes is a message we should all remember.

If that's not a good enough explanation then sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Anyway Men Chasing Fire:

Ugh that was devastating. This time around I actually did figure out pretty much the whole twist ahead of time but just seeing it all play out was rough. I don't even know what else to say, there's not the slightest glimmer of hope in that one.

One more to go...