Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Khorne posted:

23-2 in my last 25 croak games boys. MMR grind is dumb as poo poo in this game. It's like your point gain doesn't line up with the internal evaluation of rating after the placement period, because every game is like me (gr10) with a gr9 vs gr11s or gr10+gr11 with the occasional gr12s thrown in, usually on the other team. Most of the games were 3-0 or 3-1 wins also, so that's not why the grind is taking ages.

edit: right, I've only gained like 100-200 rating.

Keep in mind that win streaks raise your uncertainty, which has a negative effect on your shown skill rating. Once you reach the point where you aren't winning the great majority of your matches, your shown ranking should shoot up as your uncertainty falls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Sokani posted:

Keep in mind that win streaks raise your uncertainty, which has a negative effect on your shown skill rating. Once you reach the point where you aren't winning the great majority of your matches, your shown ranking should shoot up as your uncertainty falls.

Except this doesn't really happen at all. When you stop winning, you don't magically start gaining points even for losing matches, so there's nothing in place to make "your ranking shoot up".

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
AWWW YISSS PATCH TIME BABY (Tomorrow): http://steamcommunity.com/games/504370/announcements/detail/571221603308573812

2 new heroes, bunch of Halloween content, and a fuckload of balance changes. Looks great!

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

AttackBacon posted:

AWWW YISSS PATCH TIME BABY (Tomorrow): http://steamcommunity.com/games/504370/announcements/detail/571221603308573812

2 new heroes, bunch of Halloween content, and a fuckload of balance changes. Looks great!

The main 4 heroes actually got some good/interesting changes.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Dang those are pretty substantial. Rook getting a "dodge" is gonna take getting used to.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

These patch notes seem great. I love that they didn't just gut the current powerful heroes (which I guess would be Shifu, Ashka, Paloma?). The Rook changes seem really interesting - giving him a pretty short cooldown ability with iframes in Crushing Blow sounds really rad. Very interested to see how that turns out.

I've been maining Varesh for the last week or so and I'm totally unsure how his changes will play out. The Tier 2 changes seem pretty rough - I felt like he got a good power bump in 2s with the heal on the shield Battlerite, and a nice bump in 3s with the longer snare when Shattering the Corruption debuff. The Silence duration buff being moved here seems pretttyyyyyy strong, though, as that's the one you're always really trying to shatter anyway. Tier 3 is really interesting, I think all the options are pretty good! I liked the Judgement on Wuju paired with Return from Tier 1, and it still looks good, but a bouncing Hand of Judgement there seems like it might be able to compete with double Wuju. Tier 4 looking pretty weird now.

Either way it doesn't matter because I was a Seeker main in BLC and will almost certainly be transitioning to Jumong. Harbinger was super sweet too, and since I didn't really click with any of the melee guys in the original roster I'm excited to have a new one to try. Now all I need is some Blood Priest and I'll be feeling really good.

Super amped to check this out tomorrow.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Patch looks good even though my boy shifu is getting a small nerf, but I'll probably like Jumong a lot so I might get a new favorite.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Removal of Freya's guaranteed incap makes me sad. Kind of hyped about 5% more move speed on croak.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Catch me as the future #1 seeker NA. Heard it here first boys.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

quote:

Concerns have been raised about the introduction of Unranked potentially splitting the playerbase too much. This concern is something we had in mind when we implemented the system, so let's do a deeper dive into how it will work and how we will prevent this.

If anything, this change should actually result in overall faster matchmaking queues. Basically the system will attempt to match unranked players versus unranked players and ranked players versus ranked players, but when enough time has passed without the system being able to find a suitable match, the matchmaking will allow unranked and ranked to play against each other. So unranked players can play against ranked players if enough time passes, but ranked and unranked players will never be on the same team. If ranked and unranked players are put into the same match, the unranked players will always be teamed up with the other unranked players, and ranked players will always be teamed up with the other ranked players. The matchmaking will still attempt to pair up players close in skill level of course.

For the unranked players, this match will seem like a regular unranked match and they will not see their own or their enemies’ rank. Neither will they lose or gain any ranked rating afterwards. The ranked players will see their opponents equivalent rank in-game and will lose or win rating based on it. Naturally, Unranked will have its own, hidden, matchmaking rating that is separate from the Ranked rating.

This can result in some ranked players sometimes getting a win when they otherwise would not have, but we expect most players will still try to win their matches even when playing unranked. Combined with the ability to simultaneously queue for 2v2 and 3v3 it should speed up the queue times. In addition, being able to play with friends of different skill levels or try out new champions against real players, without the fear of losing ranked rating, should get more people into the queues as well. We feel that right now, this is the best choice to make in regards to matchmaking.

I guess thats a way to splitting the userbase as much. I'm curious as to what it will actually be like in effect though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think it sounds fine, and agree that in 99% of cases people will just play as if it were ranked anyway. I think it's possible at the high-but-not-top-100 level people might try to game it a bit where queues are so sparse, but I doubt it'll last and also don't actually care if it happens.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

quote:

If anything, this change should actually result in overall faster matchmaking queues. Basically the system will attempt to match unranked players versus unranked players and ranked players versus ranked players, but when enough time has passed without the system being able to find a suitable match, the matchmaking will allow unranked and ranked to play against each other.
This part makes no sense to me. How could splitting the playerbase and merging it again when matchmaking takes long enough possibly make queues faster?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

HMS Boromir posted:

This part makes no sense to me. How could splitting the playerbase and merging it again when matchmaking takes long enough possibly make queues faster?

Because it solves ladder anxiety and other psychological blocks to playing the "serious" game mode.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Because it solves ladder anxiety and other psychological blocks to playing the "serious" game mode.
Hm. Serious as opposed to what, vs AI? I admit, the fact that some people apparently spend most of their playtime in these games fighting bots slipped my mind.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Well, versus not playing at all, probably.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Huh, they will make me choose between nice axes on Bakko and thie shield charge, both of which are key to my current playstyle.

At least Pearl is untouched as far as I'm concerned :v:

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
Holy hell those Varesh changes are strong. A bouncing judgement and the shield giving movement speed plus damage is really useful. If you shatter your judgement debuff during the inhibitor shield that's 23 dmg I think. Other HoJ shots during the shield and debuff would go up to more than 30 per hit, and corruption about 14. The shield can be used to get out of bad positions if your wuju threw you out of position.

God drat even the other stuff is good. Perma corruption? 3 stack shatters on that is like 3 seconds of crippling movement, and then silence increase in t2 is also a giant hit, which gives you almost enough time to ex m2 + E your opponent for another silence. Hell just keep corruption on them forever for the dmg and heal debuff.

AWESOME. I can't play this weekend unfortunately, but boy I'm looking forward to smashing fools.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
The Jade changes are kinda disappointing, but drat those Sirius changes own.

Also fuuuck I want that moose mount

:eyepop:

Minera fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 21, 2016

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
Hi, haven't played since late September,

Is Iva still good & fun and the best character in any game ever?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Minrad posted:

The Jade changes are kinda disappointing, but drat those Sirius changes own.

Also fuuuck I want that moose mount

:eyepop:

HEy real cosmetics!

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Bread Set Jettison posted:

HEy real cosmetics!

Gallery of all the new cosmetic items/mounts/skins.

http://imgur.com/a/3yWXC

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Whenever I play competitive MP games I tend to gravitate towards characters that have a pull and also I love skeleton dorks and spinning. I'm gonna play the heck out of Ruh Kaan, is what I'm saying.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Geekslinger posted:

Gallery of all the new cosmetic items/mounts/skins.

http://imgur.com/a/3yWXC

Spiders are so In this year

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Countblanc posted:

Spiders are so In this year

need dat spider xbow for lucie

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I need spooky moose so bad

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Judging by the few voicelines he has in the menu - did they hire Elias Toufexis as the voice of Jumong?

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Good thing they're not actually splitting it anymore!

Are you on all the drugs? :psyduck:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Kikas posted:

Judging by the few voicelines he has in the menu - did they hire Elias Toufexis as the voice of Jumong?
I hear the resemblance but I don't think it's him.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Guys, mister spooky scythe is really fun

Khorne
May 1, 2002

SirSamVimes posted:

Guys, mister spooky scythe is really fun
I've been playing croak in unranked and just farming people playing new heroes. I am a bad man.

In my first handful of games people left after round 1. Some seeker on the other team who never did more than 50 damage in a round said "have fun being gr7 forever scrubs".

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 21, 2016

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Update: both the new heroes are fun as gently caress

Khorne
May 1, 2002

SirSamVimes posted:

Update: both the new heroes are fun as gently caress
New harb is really big and clunky and feels real drat easy to stick on. I was turned off pretty quick by just how hard dodging stuff is with him. But, other than that, yeah he seems pretty fun.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I'm annoyed that Sirius still seems to have buggy as hell hit detection

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I feel like the reaper guy is bad cause he is super easily kited and the bow guy is bad because anyone who has a counter will clown on him without even trying, but that's just what I've been seeing in trench tier to be sure.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I mean reaper has a dash, a port and a hook which I feel makes him kinda hard to kite.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean reaper has a dash, a port and a hook which I feel makes him kinda hard to kite.

The F (originally R, but if you didn't switch R and F in the keybindings I dunno who you are) is the only skill that is not extremely predictable and telegraphed, I mean he is more mobile than freya but she is literally the garbagest champ in the game bar none.

Has anyone gotten a halloween drop from a normal gold chest?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
The new Rook is pretty amazing. There is a lot more survivability and mobility to him, especially due to the new and awesome battlerites. Two dashes? :eyepop:

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I have been bethorered by Croak's dadbod for a while, I have somewhat ascertained for myself that the look is due to his nipples being much too low on his chest, but why he has any niples at all is still a mystery to me.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
The new skeleton dude ult is real bad. It takes away your ability to dodge or shield, and you move as slow as molasses. Popping it is a free "kill me" sign. Everything else about him is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Megasabin posted:

The new skeleton dude ult is real bad. It takes away your ability to dodge or shield, and you move as slow as molasses. Popping it is a free "kill me" sign. Everything else about him is pretty cool.

Yeah but his EX spacebar is broken as gently caress, I dunno why nobody uses it.

• Locked thread