Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Sous vide Akaushi filet with a twice baked sweet potato and broccoli:

Good stuff ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Goddamn

greats
Sep 29, 2016
Today I made au gratin potatoes, with pepper ham, and baked carrots and sugar snap peas. Served with brown ale :)

The cheese sauce is made with butter, garlic, salt, black pepper, red chili powder, corn starch, water, heavy cream, and sharp cheddar. Veggies are seasoned with EVOO, salt, black pepper, cumin seeds, habenaro salsa, and white cooking wine. The ham is simply a deli pepper ham, rubbed with some vegetable oil, seasoned salt, and black pepper.

Here's the potatoes before and after baking. The tray is coated with EVOO and they're sprinkled with more sharp cheddar and spanish paprika.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Random Hero posted:

Sous vide Akaushi filet with a twice baked sweet potato and broccoli:

Good stuff ...

Could I ask for details on sweet potato prep? It looks beautiful.

Edit: of course I miss the words twice baked somehow. Sorry.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Shakshuka..........tacos?

Why the hell not!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Soo....huevos rancheros?

Why not indeed!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Followed That Works' advice and did a proper Jambalaya and left that crock pot way out of the equation. Chicken, chorizo (we don't get andouille in the UK) and king prawns. My girlfriend cleaned out the pot she loved it so much.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Theophany posted:

Followed That Works' advice and did a proper Jambalaya and left that crock pot way out of the equation. Chicken, chorizo (we don't get andouille in the UK) and king prawns. My girlfriend cleaned out the pot she loved it so much.

That looks drat good. And don't worry about not having andouille; creole cooking is the bastard child of so many cultures that it doesn't much matter the specifics of what goes into it. I've got a gumbo recipe that my grandmother would give to folks fleeing Vietnam that list over a dozen ingredients to use "based on preference and availability."

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

LogicalFallacy posted:

I've got a gumbo recipe that my grandmother would give to folks fleeing Vietnam that list over a dozen ingredients to use "based on preference and availability."

Share it bro, mo gumbo

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Share it bro, mo gumbo
Eh, here, have the whole file and pick which you like best: https://1drv.ms/w/s!AuSPO1wIg-oq3j4YayYkk3yhfedc

The one I was talking about is the second one, the "Diaspora Gumbo." Also, I remembered it wrong, it's actually "based on personal preference and evacuation site." Gotta love the 70's.

greats
Sep 29, 2016
Tonight I made ginger + cilantro chicken, along with sugar snap peas, carrots, and chapatis, served with some marzen :)

The chicken is also flavored with salt, pepper, and freshly ground cloves. It gives the chicken a really strong flavor compared to the more mild veggies, bread, and beer.

I only wanted to dirty one pan, so i cooked it something like this. Once the chicken was nearly done I deglazed the pan with white cooking wine.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
some stuff I made the past week or two

sous vide pork tenderloin, with spicy pickles, bibb lettuce, mayo and hoisin on a homemade roll

baked ziti with sausage, kale and a handful of fresh basil

a double batch of the Food Lab's minestrone, with zucchini, yellow squash, kale. Ditalini was added later for serving. There's a lot of this in my freezer rn

a chicken thigh curry with a lot of serrano peppers

72 hour dough, topped with pulled pork, banana peppers, mozz, tomato sauce and a little bit of bbq spice blend sprinkled on

Veritek83 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 7, 2016

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Veritek83 posted:

sous vide pork tenderloin, with spicy pickles, bibb lettuce, mayo and hoisin on a homemade roll

:stwoon: They should have sent a poet...

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

BBQ Dave posted:

:stwoon: They should have sent a poet...

imgur being dumb has made this rather funny, but thanks.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LogicalFallacy posted:

That looks drat good. And don't worry about not having andouille; creole cooking is the bastard child of so many cultures that it doesn't much matter the specifics of what goes into it. I've got a gumbo recipe that my grandmother would give to folks fleeing Vietnam that list over a dozen ingredients to use "based on preference and availability."

Ahaha yeah you definitely understand how it works there.

If you like, it would be cool to share those recipes in the Cajun/Creole thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570811

Theophany posted:

:unsmith:

That looks great! I've used chorizo a few times in mine as well and it's completely good. The only things I know that don't really work great are sweet / fennel heavy italian sausages. The sweetness just comes out kind of strange. Otherwise I haven't found a sausage that wasn't a good substitute in that dish.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I felt the need to make 40 Cloves of Garlic Chicken again.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

dijon du jour posted:

I felt the need to make 40 Cloves of Garlic Chicken again.

Awww yiss. :love:

greats
Sep 29, 2016
today i learned how to make Ma Po Tofu, and it's easily the best tofu i've ever tasted :)
I used fresh tofu (stored in water, not vacuum sealed) from a local Chinese grocery, and the texture and flavor was amazing

it took some time to carefully prepare and cook everything right without any slip-ups my first time making it, but it was totally worth it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

greats posted:

today i learned how to make Ma Po Tofu, and it's easily the best tofu i've ever tasted :)
I used fresh tofu (stored in water, not vacuum sealed) from a local Chinese grocery, and the texture and flavor was amazing

it took some time to carefully prepare and cook everything right without any slip-ups my first time making it, but it was totally worth it.

That looks great. gently caress I need a wok.

greats
Sep 29, 2016

VelociBacon posted:

That looks great. gently caress I need a wok.

thanks :) i can recommend the wok i've bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00012F3B8/

it's a carbon steel wok so it must be seasoned, but it also means it will add great flavor and last a long time. it comes with directions on how to season it, and you can look up care directions for a wok online easily

greats fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 9, 2016

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

greats posted:

thanks :) i can recommend the wok i've bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00012F3B8/

it's a carbon steel wok so it must be seasoned, but it also means it will add great flavor and last a long time. it comes with directions on how to season it, and you can look up care directions for a wok online easily

I've got a different one, but you're drat right. Carbon steel is the way to go for wokking.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Made strawberry shortcake for the first time, just went with the version Chef John posted. It was super easy.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Elderbean posted:

Made strawberry shortcake for the first time, just went with the version Chef John posted. It was super easy.

Oof that looks fantastic. This one, I presume? Because I must have it...

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

franco posted:

Oof that looks fantastic. This one, I presume? Because I must have it...

Thanks! Yeah, it's that one!
I have zero experience with desserts and had no problems with it.

greats
Sep 29, 2016
today i learned how to make authentic kung pao chicken :) the contrast of flavors and textures in this dish is amazing, the chicken thighs, peanuts, and dried red chilies are all freaking awesome

compared to other sichuan dishes i've prepared, this one is relatively easy. this dish is a lot of flavor for not-too-much work

decoding some of the typo's and mistakes in this recipe took some patience though lol, definitely worth it over most of the localized kung pao recipes you'll find on the internet http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/kung-pao-chicken/

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Looks delicious

greats
Sep 29, 2016

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Looks delicious

Today I made some simple and spicy chicken jalfrezi :) I made it as simple as i can while still meeting my expectations, because i'm going to post step-by-step pictures in the curry thread to help newbies

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
I made lobster rolls :)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nur_Neerg posted:

I made lobster rolls :)

:jackbud:

Nice job!

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Made omurice from this Serious Eats recipe. Turned out very tasty, would eat again!

vonnegutt fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 13, 2016

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
I've been wanting to grind my own meat literally for years but I've been putting it off and putting it off. Finally bought an oldschool grinder from a friend. It belonged to her boyfriend's mother and it's probably about 100 years old. When I set it up I was a little apprehensive because the blades seemed very worn down. Sure enough, I chopped up some prime rib and started grinding and...nothing happened. I just got a pile of half mushed meat that wasn't going anywhere. I took it apart to make sure all the pieces were there - check. Looked online to see if the blades needed to be sharpened - nope. Tried putting some of the pieces on the other way - impossible. I had basically written it off when my a friend dropped by for a drink. I told her I was super bummed that it didn't work. She's also into food and insisted on checking it out. I was still feeling frustrated so I told her I didn't feel like messing around with it again - especially since I'd just washed some of the parts. She's pretty stubborn so she insisted on taking a look at it. She turned the crank one way, then the other, and looked at me. "...Which way were you turning it?"

So I made some prime rib burgers to go with this lovely wine. They were loving amazing. I was going to do just salt and pepper but I'm a garlic fiend so they're prime rib, s&p and a few cloves of crushed garlic. BF said they were some of the best burgers he's ever had and he's American so

The Doctor fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 20, 2016

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Thanks to the omurice posts, I've been practicing my french omelet. One of my new favorite things to cook. Easy to learn, hard to master, and every attempt is rewarding. Haven't made any picture-worthy FOs. Maybe after I get some chives I can really Pepin it up.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Doctor posted:

I've been wanting to grind my own meat literally for years but I've been putting it off and putting it off.

Saving yourself for marriage?

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
If I'm going to grind meats, it's going to be with the One.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
I made a giant vat of borscht, half red and half golden beets. And some coconut curry carrot and pumpkin soup. I still have a head of cauliflower in the fridge so I'll probably make a pot of potato and cauliflower soup tonight. And maybe some pea soup. I really like soup.

greats
Sep 29, 2016

The Doctor posted:

I made a giant vat of borscht, half red and half golden beets. And some coconut curry carrot and pumpkin soup. I still have a head of cauliflower in the fridge so I'll probably make a pot of potato and cauliflower soup tonight. And maybe some pea soup. I really like soup.

oh man, i wanted to try making borscht, but it seemed like it was a lot of work for a mild soup which isn't really my style. In all fairness though, i only looked at the russian version, i know there's many different types

Here's a few neat things i made this last week...

Carnitas:

Dan Dan Noodles:
[

Lamb Curry (made in a pressure cooker using coconut milk, but no oil):

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Doctor posted:

You need to serve both kinds in the same bowl. Just put a divider in when you pour it in then slowly remove it. Bet it would look pretty cool.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
D-d-d-d-double post

I made some cinnamon raisin bread.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
I smoked a chuck roast, nothing special except for the resulting jus, who would have thought smoked beef stock would taste so good.
I added wostershire and a little lousiana hotsauce to the pan on top of the onion halves and two cups of stock, it was an amazing dipper.

Nhilist fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

D-d-d-d-double post

I made some cinnamon raisin bread.

drat. That is some amazing bread.

• Locked thread