Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Who is the weakest? Corax?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Alpharius mathematically loses against everyone but Lorgar without psychic powers. Dorn is also quite bad at fighting other primarchs.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Lord Twisted posted:

Alpharius. He's still pretty good, especially the buffs he gives his army and how he just kinda pops out of nowhere. But any other primarch can beat him up and steal his lunch money.

Granted throwing a primarch at another primarch is a terrible strategy, no matter who it is, since it means the duel will take 3 turns to finish when you could be clearing the board of entire units.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Granted throwing a primarch at another primarch is a terrible strategy, no matter who it is, since it means the duel will take 3 turns to finish when you could be clearing the board of entire units.

Counterpoint: Perturabo, all his buffs are for him existing and he has the lowest amount of attacks of the primarchs, but will slowly grind out anyone who isnt horus or girllyman.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

Welp, looks like no thought was put into these rules at all. Sisters of Silence can swap their bolters for +1S AP2 swords for free. Custodes are beasts, their spears are the same as the Deathwatch Watch Master's. That also means they can't shoot and charge. :v:

I'm willing to bet the actual 30k rules for both units will be quite different. These reek of half-assed bullshit.

Edit: Hahahaha, neither unit has frag grenades.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 21, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lord Twisted posted:

Corax is on the weak side in primarch-on-primarch violence, but that's not what he's built for. He's the most mobile primarch around (right now, there's indications Lion will have a jetbike option, Sanguinius might be a full-on flyer, and the Khan is almost certainly going to have a bike of some kind) and is built for wrecking the rank and file wherever they're weak.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

75 points for 11 I5 AP2 close combat attacks and a bubble of gently caress psykers doesn't seem busted at all, not sure what you're going on about.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's also some stand-in rules for Leman Russ available on FW's site. https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/fw_warscrolls/Leman%20Russ%20Rules.pdf

All of his rules and wargear are temporary and generic. I can see why they went that route. Personally, I don't think releasing the full rules would have decreased sales of Book VII, but whatever. He's WS9 with 6 attacks at I7 wielding a paragon blade. I think he'll manage to do some damage even with these rules.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Those are the 40 kay rules breh, they are fair and balanced and good

e: Who wins in a fight, wolf dude or angry man?

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015
Leman Russ doesn't have rules yet so no way to know.

Horus wins against everyone though.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Aesaar posted:

Leman Russ doesn't have rules yet so no way to know.

Horus wins against everyone though.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/fw_warscrolls/Leman%20Russ%20Rules.pdf

Temporary rules. Which I loving hope so they are because :laffo:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

I mean, it literally says "gets you by rules" so yeah.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

We all know that what FW says and what FW does isn't always in tandem.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Going by Russ' description:

Forge World posted:

Fighting with a ferocity and skill far beyond anything human, Leman Russ wields the sword of Balenight, known as Mjalnar, an ancient blade whose dark legend stretched back to the Age of Strife; and Helwinter, Russ’ great frost axe, its murderous edge made with the kraken-teeth of a mighty beast Russ slew himself. His warplate is a suit of singular artificer power armour, incorporating unique exothermic field generators, otherwise unknown of in the Imperium’s arsenal of technology.
I think it's fair to say that his final rules will be quite different. Crazy ancient sword, kraken-tooth axe, and "exothermic field generators". Given the Wolves' general ice theme, I'm surprised they didn't go with endothermic.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I find the idea of giving him a paragon blade and a frost axe hilarious though. But at 7 attacks base (Lets assume the stats doesn't change) he will wreck poo poo. His WS of 9 is incredibly important, seeing as units will only hit him on a 5+. He just needs some better weapons.

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 22, 2016

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ijyt posted:

Would someone be able to post some photos of Salamanders artwork from one of the books? I recall seeing a small, compressed image and it looks like the art shows their armour as vaguely metallic, like this Word Bearer, and I'd like to try and figure out a good colour to use to make a glaze.

Welp, this isn't working out as intended. Vallejo Olive Grey was the right colour but the glaze ended up being too opaque, or the metallic base too dark, and doesn't have the same effect I've seen people pull off with Word Bearers or Alpha Legion. :smith:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Safety Factor posted:

Given the Wolves' general ice theme, I'm surprised they didn't go with endothermic.

Could be a screw-up from whoever wrote that, or could be deliberate. Equal odds, I think - would make some thematic sense if the rest of the wolves are ice themed and have helfrost weapons, while Russ himself has a fire thing going on.

As far as I know, though, the only mentions of what unique units we'll see from the Wolves and Sons are enhanced destroyer squads for the Wolves and psychic prescient assassins for the Sons.

Wouldn't be surprised by something like a helfrost predator, though, or every Sons sergeant being an ML 1 psyker.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wolves also created predator annihilators (twin linked lascanons) so maybe they'll be part of their unique wargear. IB4 Mary Sue

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

Wolves also created predator annihilators (twin linked lascanons)

In M36 :colbert:

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

ijyt posted:

Welp, this isn't working out as intended. Vallejo Olive Grey was the right colour but the glaze ended up being too opaque, or the metallic base too dark, and doesn't have the same effect I've seen people pull off with Word Bearers or Alpha Legion. :smith:

You should investigate tamiya clear colours.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Is book 7 coming out this year still? Will be nice to see Russ in his glory, along with some Sisters and Custodes that aren't game-breaking garbage.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Is book 7 coming out this year still? Will be nice to see Russ in his glory, along with some Sisters and Custodes that aren't game-breaking garbage.

Nope. February.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Alan Bligh moves the release date back another 24 hours every time anyone asks about Inferno coming out.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

So...

I've had a look at the rules and models. Those swords look loving dumb on custodes. Also they have the rules for the bolters on the swords... But no apparent option to buy them?

In addition they seem to have no invuln without the Shields? Means plasma just ends them instantly.

Very disappointing if that's anything like the 30k rules. They can't even fire their bolters and charge ffs. So lazy.

And sisters of silence are just clearly extremely undercosted.

Also no grenades LOL.

Lord Twisted fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 22, 2016

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

krursk posted:

You should investigate tamiya clear colours.

Thanks for this, having a look around looks like a mixture of Tamiya Smoke and Clear Yellow/Green might get me the colour I'm looking for. I'll keep on going with the now matte olive green though, as painting Minotaurs, Alpha Legion, and now Salamanders might just be a bit too much metallic for me to handle sanely.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Wolves also created predator annihilators (twin linked lascanons) so maybe they'll be part of their unique wargear. IB4 Mary Sue
Huh, didn't know that. That would be a decent little wargear option for them and it'd let FW get some use of an already existing bit. Seems like a good idea.

ijyt posted:

Thanks for this, having a look around looks like a mixture of Tamiya Smoke and Clear Yellow/Green might get me the colour I'm looking for. I'll keep on going with the now matte olive green though, as painting Minotaurs, Alpha Legion, and now Salamanders might just be a bit too much metallic for me to handle sanely.
"There goes the Metallic Man. He painted one too many metallic armies and now he just sits around huffing silver spray paint all day."

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 22, 2016

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Huh, didn't know that. That would be a decent little wargear option for them and it'd let FW get some use of an already existing bit. Seems like a good idea.

"There goes the Metallic Man. He painted one too many metallic armies and now he just sits around huffing silver spray paint all day."

I'm gonna die metallic, on the sprue-y road

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
shiny and burnished gold

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

ijyt posted:

Use very dark metallic base undercoats- I use VMA black metal primarily (highlight I believe with VMA gun metal) and from there you thinly layer the clear. When painting my 1k sons one of my attempts looked EXACTLY like the Word Bearers colors because I went TOO dark.

Grab a pack of plastic spoons and experiment to find the right mix.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Just saw some of the new prospero plastics in person. Extremely nice. Custodes look a hell of a lot better in person and have good posing potential.

The mk3 stuff is super super nice. Really good kits!

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
Derp ordered two boxes.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

I'll be calling my FLGS tomorrow to see if I can pre order one for their discounted price. The kits are super super nice, and looked very convertible.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Lord Twisted posted:

Just saw some of the new prospero plastics in person. Extremely nice. Custodes look a hell of a lot better in person and have good posing potential.

The mk3 stuff is super super nice. Really good kits!

Same. Went down to my local hammery and pre-ordered. Built a MK III man for the shop set while I was there. It seems like a pretty versatile set of sprues. The new MKIII helms are pretty awesome, too.

Ahriman and Fell-hand are indeed awesome. Seeing all the detail on the latter up-close was pretty neat, I didn't appreciate how well-done it was until I had it in my hands. Someone had built a Custode standard bearer dude. There's so much loving detail on the Custodes that they remind me of Baroque paintings.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I'll probably get two boxes but...at this point what am I going to do with all these tactical marines?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

GreenMarine posted:

I'll probably get two boxes but...at this point what am I going to do with all these tactical marines?

3 vet tacs, 2x15 assault marines :getin:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

I'll definitely get one box of prospero. They're absolutely superb sculpts. My local shop are getting 350 in, but seeing as theyve sold over 800 calth in a year they're gonna need more

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If only FW sold jump packs separately and packs of just bolt pistol/chainsword arms. They could make a killing on upgrade packs that modify the plastic kits. I'm holding out hope they have plans to do one for the MkIII kit to make breachers.

Buying Prospero brings me up to 90 marines. 60 MkIV and 30 MkIII. I'm planning on using 10 of the new guys to make an acid bolter heavy support squad, but the other 20 are up in the air. I have 20 MkIV set aside for tactical support squads, but I think MkIII would look cooler in that role so they might get displaced. I have no idea what I'll do with them if I do that as I'm trying to stick to different armor types to signify role and/or veterancy. I don't really need 60 regular tactical marines.

I really need some MkII for veterans and seekers. 30 marines would get used so quickly.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I want a plastic spartan :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Just 3d print a landraider with the scale set to 125%