Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the closest to == would teq with no - branch i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Yeah I thought something like "teq 1 1" would only do the + statements and "teq 1 0" would only do the - statements

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Stereotype posted:

I thought that tcp was the "==" operator oh my god

haha nice

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Stereotype posted:

Yeah I thought something like "teq 1 1" would only do the + statements and "teq 1 0" would only do the - statements

well...that's true, because 1 is always equal to 1, and 1 is never equal to 0.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
teq and tcp are completely different instructions

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jabor posted:

teq and tcp are completely different instructions

ooooooooooooooooooooooh okay so this is why things work and why everything is so difficult.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I sort of just skimmed the list of commands apparently.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Stereotype posted:

you'll make a hell of an assembly coder someday kid

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

the tagline of this game is rtfm

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Stereotype posted:

looks like all that drat time in the mur fr*ggin arctic circle frozed ur g*d d*mn brains off m8

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this game has already affected the way i am writing real code. doing a microcontroller thing where i normally would have just made a bunch of conditional statements and holder variables, but instead i thought about what the bits are really doing and managed it in one line with bitwise operators.

:cool: thanks shenzhen i/o

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

what are bits really even doing, anyways

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

little electric somersaults, near as i can tell

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

New Zealand can eat me posted:

what are bits really even doing, anyways

haha i thought this was a zdr emoji

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Satellit3 posted:

haha i thought this was a zdr emoji

use it everywhere and insist it is, I think I have the full set somewhere

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I did the game controller thing yesterday evening and I used the DX300 and I wired it in such a way that the output of it matched the spec exactly, only in binary.

Then I had to make a bunch of conditionals to translate 010 to 2 and 011 to 3 and 000 and 001 could be passed on directly

but I was like dude, the bits are right there just let me pass a binary value aaaggg

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

spankmeister posted:

I did the game controller thing yesterday evening and I used the DX300 and I wired it in such a way that the output of it matched the spec exactly, only in binary.

Then I had to make a bunch of conditionals to translate 010 to 2 and 011 to 3 and 000 and 001 could be passed on directly

but I was like dude, the bits are right there just let me pass a binary value aaaggg

the binary representation of 010 is 1010 though

yes this was pretty annoying i completely agree with you. in the end i did it without any conditionals though:
mov x1 acc; dgt 1; mul 2; mov acc dat; mov x1 acc; dgt 0; add dat

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 16, 2016

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
give me shr or give me death

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
actually, i managed to cut the power consumption on the joystick one by swapping "tgt x1 -999; - jmp done" with "tcp x1 -999" and just making sure all of my following instructions until the label were prefaced with either + or -. However it means that I duplicated a bunch of instructions like "+ mov x1 acc; - mov x1 acc; + dgt 0;- dgt 0". is there a way to avoid that?

phi kappa FUCKBALLS
Jul 24, 2010

Does the negative branch of tcp -999 ever fire?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
  tgt acc 2
+ sub 8

:smug:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Jabor posted:

tgt acc 2
+ sub 8

Nice!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

phi kappa FUCKBALLS posted:

Does the negative branch of tcp -999 ever fire?

nope, it literally cannot
(but there are later t** and + and -, so tcp skipping - lines is still relevant

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Jabor posted:

tgt acc 2
+ sub 8

Way to destroy your condition flags, I used two dx300s, did:
mov x0 acc
mul 2
add x1

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I spent so long on the sandwich maker thinking that the lone 3 meant "repeat previous pattern" before I realized I'm dumb.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
your sandwich can have either extra mustard or no cheese or both, but no normal sandwiches.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I'm pretty proud of this Drinking Scorekeeper solution considering my original was so much worse, but it's also the #1 in my scoreboard in every category right now:

3 cost, 330 pwr
http://i.imgur.com/afT6V2S.png

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

cheesy security nightmare, thanks grey thread

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

bobbilljim posted:

link to the grey thread please? I had a look but couldn't find it

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

gonadic io posted:

link to the grey thread please? I had a look but couldn't find it
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793395

10 puzzles in and i just realized i've been wasting two instructions doing greater-or-equals when i could've just negated a less-than :downs:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
a bad score, but yet this is probably the problem i'm most satisfied solving so far:

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NowIORUgdgE

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

bobbilljim posted:

i think i did something similar, just sum digits?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
think i've hit the wall with the mining coords one. staring at the spec sheet for hours thinking about how i can break it down. with lots of lines of code it's very easy but i lack any insight into efficiency

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

think i've hit the wall with the mining coords one. staring at the spec sheet for hours thinking about how i can break it down. with lots of lines of code it's very easy but i lack any insight into efficiency

there's two x ranges that are always 30 and one that is always 0. Then there's a y range where 50 gets added to it, producing either 50 or 80

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:chanpop:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Pardot posted:

i think i did something similar, just sum digits?

yup and abuse acc by using it to hold a variable as well as the loop counter and get rid of all the jumps for conditionals

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

zachatronics posted:

FIRMWARE UPDATE VERSION 1.1 for SHENZHEN I/O is now live!

NEW CONTENT
Added the FM/iX "FM BLASTER", an FM-based synthesizer with one voice and ten instruments, available in the sandbox.
Added a ¥0 "note" part that can be placed anywhere in a design to write additional documentation.
NEW FEATURES
Pin names are now shown for all pins when tab (show traces) is held.
Added Steam achievements to the game related to solitaire and the secret puzzle.
Improved the appearance of histograms, especially low-value production cost histograms.
Added keyboard shortcuts for the playback controls: space is bound to simulate and pause, E is bound to step, D is bound to advance, and escape is bound to reset.
The current code line indicator now fades slightly when that microcontroller is sleeping.
In custom LCD screens, a very light gray color can now be used to connect two segments together without the line gray showing up as an actual segment.
BALANCE FIXES
Most parts are now unlocked at the start of the game but "soft-locked" to discourage inexperienced players from using them prematurely and getting stuck.
Changed the behavior of the dst instruction when one or both operands (acc and the new digit) are negative. The new behavior is symmetric with dgt, setting a digit and the sign of the accumulator separately as specified by the "new digit" operand.
Modified the "pocket I Ching oracle" puzzle to provide more room for player designs.
Modified the test cases for the "aquaponics maintenence robot", "spoiler blocking headphones", "personal sandwich assembler", and "precision food scale" puzzles.
Changed the order of a few mid-game puzzles based on feedback about their difficulty.
Added a visualization for input to a certain puzzle that needed it.
BUG FIXES
It is now an error to define the same label twice in a single microcontroller.
It is no longer an error to block without sleeping in the sandbox.
Music is no longer played while a design in the prototyping area is running. Go make your own!
Fixed a bug where histograms wouldn't update when returning to the conceptMAIL or conceptCAD menus.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i've been slacking on this recently, should get back into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpLtvB1bVNs

• Locked thread