Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

An RNG system works if the rates are high enough, so if they stick to that rate it should be just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Have a referral code for the new page, on-the-fence peoples:

http://www.swtor.com/r/R77l46

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I don't even know what I'd replay for a DvL guy. Some force who is a king dick for fun maybe, I don't know. I've done SI twice so not that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Smuggler is King Dick, and claims His territory with His mighty boot.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dely Apple posted:

I don't even know what I'd replay for a DvL guy. Some force who is a king dick for fun maybe, I don't know. I've done SI twice so not that.

It really doesn't matter. With 200% XP you're barely playing the toon. Eternal level is still very achievable. Just level using Heroics, PvP and flashpoints and you'll be able to do SoR and KOTFE for the event within a few hours

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So you say dont use data crystal gear, but what should I use now fresh 65? I still have unmodded dvl gear on my Knight.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Medullah posted:

It really doesn't matter. With 200% XP you're barely playing the toon. Eternal level is still very achievable. Just level using Heroics, PvP and flashpoints and you'll be able to do SoR and KOTFE for the event within a few hours

I guess I forgot hyper-XP is on. Gotta double down on it with that sick 25% boost in my Legacy Vault!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

So you say dont use data crystal gear, but what should I use now fresh 65? I still have unmodded dvl gear on my Knight.

Just hop in a Story Mode pug raid, get gear from that. Fill your slots with 190 crystal gear (60 for a full set compared to ~900 for 208 gear). Bolster will bump your stats.

Or get PvP gear - that's your best bet.

Miker525
Jan 2, 2011
Okay so I've got a question. I played SWTOR at launch for a while, but stopped playing a pretty long time ago. I ended off with two or three characters each leveled somewhere around the mid 40s. When KotFE was launching I was super interested but hadn't had enough time to actually get back into the game so I waited. Now with KotFE being out in it's entirety and Eternal Throne coming out soon, I'm hoping to get back into the game. What's the best way to actually go about doing this. If I'm correct KotFE and Eternal Throne are each their own stories correct? As a former subscriber I think my account is considered Preferred but I don't think I have access to KotFE. If I sub for one month would I get access to all the KotFE content or would I only be able to play it while in that monthly period? I'm considering subbing for a month and either boosting one of my characters to 60 or making a new one at 60 to play through the KotFE content and seeing if I like it enough to come back fully for Eternal Throne.

If it helps I stopped playing shortly after Rise Of The Hutt Cartel.

Honestly I wish I could just buy the KotFE and Eternal Throne expansions right out instead of what seems to be subscription access to play. Unless it is just sub once and have access to all currently available content

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Miker525 posted:

Unless it is just sub once and have access to all currently available content

This is how it works. Sub right now for a month and get everything KotFE (and SoR).

When ET comes out, sub then and you'll get everything they release during that month (which is everything this time?).

Right before the last KotFE chapter came out they let everyone preferred have access to most of the chapters, though I don't know if that was a limited time thing.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

So, which do goons prefer; the Jedi Knight or the Consular? I've dabbled in both, but I can't decide which to stick with. I'm hoping some opinions and editorializing can help me make up my mind.

I actually like the Consular story more from what I've seen. It feels like a real Jedi story where you're investigating a mystery, learning secrets of the Force, and protecting people. In contrast the Knight story was more of an action movie that happened to have a Jedi in it as you hunt down superweapon after superweapon like it's the 90s EU all over again.

Gameplay-wise I'm on the fence. The Consular's range was very convenient, but the knight felt more dynamic. In flashpoints I felt like I was contributing more as a consular since I could keep more consistent DPs and off heals while my attempts at tanking as knight just end up with me panicking as my health plummets followed by death.

The knight has two awesome companions, a cool enough one, and two duds while I have yet to get a comp I didn't hate as consular.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Canemacar posted:

So, which do goons prefer; the Jedi Knight or the Consular? I've dabbled in both, but I can't decide which to stick with. I'm hoping some opinions and editorializing can help me make up my mind.

I actually like the Consular story more from what I've seen. It feels like a real Jedi story where you're investigating a mystery, learning secrets of the Force, and protecting people. In contrast the Knight story was more of an action movie that happened to have a Jedi in it as you hunt down superweapon after superweapon like it's the 90s EU all over again.

Gameplay-wise I'm on the fence. The Consular's range was very convenient, but the knight felt more dynamic. In flashpoints I felt like I was contributing more as a consular since I could keep more consistent DPs and off heals while my attempts at tanking as knight just end up with me panicking as my health plummets followed by death.

The knight has two awesome companions, a cool enough one, and two duds while I have yet to get a comp I didn't hate as consular.

Consular is a fun side story. Knight is the A plot of the entire game.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Yeah, for squares.

*fishes pack of smokes labeled AGENT STORYLINE out of jacket pocket and offers you one*

This is what all the cool kids are doing, though.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Consular has the best republic side story, but the worst republic side companions. [Contrast this to Trooper, which has the worst republic side story, but the BEST COMPANION FOR THE REPUBLIC!]

The Knight has a pretty generic story, but their companions [note: I only have 3 currently] all are pretty neat. Doc is def my least favorite of them, but even he's better than people like Qyzen. I think the only good companion Consular has is Nadia in comparison, who is still less engaging than Kira or T7.

Also: gently caress you meddullah, for suggesting I do PVP for gear. That was the worst experience I've had in SWTOR, where I jumped at mercs and died before I got 3 GCDs in, what the heck.

Edit: Actually, I find the whole 'good story, dumb companions - bad story, good companions' thing to be pretty true for the whole game. Imperial Agent gets some boring loving companions barring SCORPIO, but is a good story. Sith Inquisitor is a terrible story, but their companions are fun. Sith Warrior only has two companions I remember [Jaesa and Vette] so I dunno what that says about them.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 22, 2016

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

Consular has the best republic side story, but the worst republic side companions. [Contrast this to Trooper, which has the worst republic side story, but the BEST COMPANION FOR THE REPUBLIC!]

The Knight has a pretty generic story, but their companions [note: I only have 3 currently] all are pretty neat. Doc is def my least favorite of them, but even he's better than people like Qyzen. I think the only good companion Consular has is Nadia in comparison, who is still less engaging than Kira or T7.

Also: gently caress you meddullah, for suggesting I do PVP for gear. That was the worst experience I've had in SWTOR, where I jumped at mercs and died before I got 3 GCDs in, what the heck.

Edit: Actually, I find the whole 'good story, dumb companions - bad story, good companions' thing to be pretty true for the whole game. Imperial Agent gets some boring loving companions barring SCORPIO, but is a good story. Sith Inquisitor is a terrible story, but their companions are fun. Sith Warrior only has two companions I remember [Jaesa and Vette] so I dunno what that says about them.

LS Warrior has to be the best story in the entire game because you spend it making Jedi so goddamn mad at how much better you are than them they go DS

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Agent is the best story. Light Side Sith Warrior is the best Star Wars story. Then the Dark Side Inquisitor is also extremely enjoyable due to the voice actress killing it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Trast posted:

Agent is the best story. Light Side Sith Warrior is the best Star Wars story. Then the Dark Side Inquisitor is also extremely enjoyable due to the voice actress killing it.

While the voice actress does amazing for a DS Inquisitor, there is something to be said for doing a LS Inquisitor. Each time you're called out on a light side choice, you get to fling up the Sith code's points about victory and freedom.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I've been watching playthroughs of Knights of the Fallen Empire and I'm loving the ones with a non-force user for the fact that in the not!Dagobah chapter, the masters of the Light and Dark Side of the Force help you build a loving gun, which you use to pistol whip and shoot Arcann to near death in the final battle.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 22, 2016

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

SgtSteel91 posted:

I've been watching playthroughs of Knights of the Fallen Empire and I'm loving the ones with a non-force user for the fact that in the not!Dagobah chapter, the masters of the Light and Dark Side of the Force help you build a loving gun, which you use to pistol whip and shoot Arcann to near death in the final battle.

When my Trooper went through that part, I kept imagining her humming the "I'm gonna whip somebody's rear end" song while working.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Consular is better than Knight because you can stealth past all the trash.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Magmarashi posted:

LS Warrior has to be the best story in the entire game because you spend it making Jedi so goddamn mad at how much better you are than them they go DS

Agent story is the best, LS SW is second best because of this, JK is third because you get to be Space Captain America and punch Space Hitler. (Also, you get to be such a good Space Captain America that you can convince bad guys to switch sides.)

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

KittyEmpress posted:

Agent comps are the best because they are all gaming out how to murder you which is how things should be, since you're an MMO player.

edit: Except for Vector. Maybe his fate for you is worse than death, depending.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What site are you all going to for class build guides?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

I said come in! posted:

You can build?

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
How easy is it to get back into the swing of things and do you guys hang out in a specific discord or mumble server?

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Google Dulfy + 4.0 + your AC and see what pops up.

Otherwise I can answer just about any question.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I link to most of the Dulfy guides in one of the first few posts. I'm sure there's one or two that are out of date but most are current. :)

As far as getting back into the swing of things, it's super simple. The game is very newbie friendly right now.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Berke Negri posted:

Agent comps are the best because they are all gaming out how to murder you which is how things should be, since you're an MMO player.

edit: Except for Vector. Maybe his fate for you is worse than death, depending.
It's really just SCORPIO. Kaliyo is just along for the ride and has no personal quarrel with you. Lokin may have an exit strategy and a plan for the eventuality that you betray him, but other than that he's always chummy. Temple is completely loyal.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

So is there a firm date when the 5.0 patch is going out? I think I'm gonna wait till it's out to get back into the game.

Also, how does the focus spec compare to the vigilance spec?

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Sombrerotron posted:

It's really just SCORPIO. Kaliyo is just along for the ride and has no personal quarrel with you. Lokin may have an exit strategy and a plan for the eventuality that you betray him, but other than that he's always chummy. Temple is completely loyal.

I dunno I think Temple would be the first one to sell you out considering the whole hunting her dad down to murder him and being a massive hypocrite.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Do the 3 hour +xp items that I keep picking up stack with the double xp going on right now?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Mortanis posted:

Do the 3 hour +xp items that I keep picking up stack with the double xp going on right now?

Sort of. They are +25% to base XP, so it's 225% XP if you use one.

They're not really necessary to level but hey, if you've got em, use em. :)

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Sort of. They are +25% to base XP, so it's 225% XP if you use one.

Yes, 2x XP + XP boost + guild boost + DvL +50% XP armor = hillarious.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Canemacar posted:

So is there a firm date when the 5.0 patch is going out? I think I'm gonna wait till it's out to get back into the game.

Based upon how previous big patches have gone out, probably when Early Access for KOFET starts up on November 29th.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Apparently they stealthily took Operations Passes and Warzone Passes off the cartel market this week (can't remember if someone mentioned this or not).

If you have any stocked up the prices seem to be skyrocketing. It's a gambling game because of the changes coming in 5.0 - the passes may become worthless (since Galactic Command is subscriber only, there's almost zero incentive for F2P or Preferred to raid unless they REALLY enjoy it). However, some people seem to think they'll introduce a "Galactic Command Pass" allowing F2P people to earn points for a week, and some theorize the warzone and ops passes will be converted to those, which should sell for quite a bit.

And also, I love the people that complain that WZ and Ops passes sell for millions of credits so F2P and Preferred people who NEED them can't buy them.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Medullah posted:

Especially considering if you don't, you'll be 65 with a worthless stack of them from quest rewards.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

Based upon how previous big patches have gone out, probably when Early Access for KOFET starts up on November 29th.

Oh. I had assumed it was end of Oct when the LvD event was ending. I may just start anyway then.

Also, black and black dyes are buyable directly on the CM. Time to get your humble hero sets out.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Slim Killington posted:

Especially considering if you don't, you'll be 65 with a worthless stack of them from quest rewards.

Until December when cap goes up to 70. :).

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Sombrerotron posted:

Going from some of the recent posts in the "When are the rest of the companions returning?" threads, there's a growing sentiment that they probably aren't so whoever's come back already, that's it. Only evidence to back this is Bioware's not saying anything when asked, even a vague "you'll see some familiar faces returning", that KotFT credits aren't listed in the assorted voice actors IMDB pages, apparently nothing's shown up on any of the datamining done and the nine chapters coming out are all that's left of the storyline, and anything said before about companions returning in general could be pointed at that terminal on Odessen with that technically counting.

I can't see it happening if only with how what happened with SCORPIO went over like a lead balloon, I can only imagine the forums rioting if it happened again with several companions all at once.

Granted that the SWTOR forums do tend to the "we're all doooOOOooooomed" sentiment and when nothing official's said everyone starts assuming the worst, but if it is the case, it's pretty sucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Canemacar posted:

Oh. I had assumed it was end of Oct when the LvD event was ending. I may just start anyway then.
Dark vs. Light is "intended to end" on November 29: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9074957#post9074957.

• Locked thread