Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

what kinda weak-rear end girly man gets a stomachache from makgeolli?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Bugblatter posted:

Plz limit kpop posts in this thread to Sistar dance practice vids. For all other kpop related media, there is a link to the appropriate thread in this thread's OP.

You're not my dad

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

makkeolli for some, sistar dance practice vids for others

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
Sorry to interrupt makgeolli chat but got a question about makeup if anyone can help...

Friend gave me a list of items to pickup but im just wondering if prices are the same everywhere. As in would missha items at the mall in their own store be the cheapest place to buy from or would there be a place in like naemdaemun that would offer better prices??

Also makgeolli is loving awesome, wish it wasnt priced the gently caress up back home

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Angry Asian posted:

Friend gave me a list of items to pickup but im just wondering if prices are the same everywhere. As in would missha items at the mall in their own store be the cheapest place to buy from or would there be a place in like naemdaemun that would offer better prices??

having done this for a couple girlfriends, specifically for MAC, it was far far cheaper in the US than anywhere in Korea or even at Incheon duty free

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*

ladron posted:

having done this for a couple girlfriends, specifically for MAC, it was far far cheaper in the US than anywhere in Korea or even at Incheon duty free

Ah really? Ive already picked up a couple of items that are considerably cheaper here in seoul than back home.. probably has to do with the fact we're in canada instead of the states i guess?? Also some items she says she cant even order without insane shipping costs because theyre based and shipped from korea.

So i guess duty free is the place to go to then?

e: K just checked the lotte duty free site and their prices are much better than anywhere else that ive seen. case solved

Angry Asian fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Oct 22, 2016

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

E_P posted:

At least Max and OB can go with a meal. How can you drink expired rice milk with some choice cuts of 먹살? You cannot because it tastes bad and it gives you a stomachache and only a nerd would drink it.

Makgeolli is perfect for bindaetteok :agesilaus:

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Angry Asian posted:

Ah really? Ive already picked up a couple of items that are considerably cheaper here in seoul than back home.. probably has to do with the fact we're in canada instead of the states i guess??

curious what you picked up in seoul that was cheaper besides soju, kimchi, and anger

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

ladron posted:

curious what you picked up in seoul that was cheaper besides soju, kimchi, and anger

Could be herpes?

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*

ladron posted:

So far some inisfree and baniloco products...

Anger/herpes isnt an issue since i dont have to live and work here :v:

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Korean makeup is almost always cheaper than in the US, one of the few things. If you have the time you can walk around Myeongdog or Dongdaemun (I prefer Ddm) and go to specific stores and there should be sales. If you buy quite a bit you can get a lot of extras, hell places in Myeongdong will give you a suitcase to bring stuff back. Missha for example often has huge sales, especially for women's makeup. The standard prices are usually cheaper than the US and on sale it's much cheaper. Men's stuff goes on sale too, but not as often.

Also, drink better makgeolli y'all.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

DontAskKant posted:

Korean makeup is almost always cheaper than in the US, one of the few things. If you have the time you can walk around Myeongdog or Dongdaemun (I prefer Ddm) and go to specific stores and there should be sales. If you buy quite a bit you can get a lot of extras, hell places in Myeongdong will give you a suitcase to bring stuff back. Missha for example often has huge sales, especially for women's makeup. The standard prices are usually cheaper than the US and on sale it's much cheaper. Men's stuff goes on sale too, but not as often.

Also, drink better makgeolli y'all.

why are you wearing makeup?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I survived Seoraksan.

Edit - Korean hikers gave me their clementine at the summit, they were good people.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 23, 2016

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You have now peaked with that peak. The most famous hike during the best time of year.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Angry Asian posted:

A plus for buying it in korea is that all the stores give service gifts for your purchase. I buy my shaving soap from innisfree and always get free facial masks or cream samples every time I go.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gildiss posted:

You have now peaked with that peak. The most famous hike during the best time of year.

I didn't go to the peak of Seoraksan proper, I did Dino Ridge. I will say it was absolutely mind boggling that they didn't tell you anywhere in Korean or English at the start of the path it was an expert level path or that a dumb waygook who has a bad knee probably shouldn't do it.

That and I was a little annoyed at the English speaking tour guide who said "oh yeah you should be fine" and then over 14 hours later was like "oh wow...yeah that must've been tough."

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 23, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How much money should two people expect to spend per day staying pretty modestly in Seoul, not including the hotel room? I'm going next Thanksgiving for a wedding. I'm not sure how long it's going to be, anywhere from three days to a week. It's so far out that we don't know many details yet.

I forgot to ask, do places tend to accept American Express there? I want to have a backup in case I underestimate and run out of money. Will I need to apply for something more common for that?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 23, 2016

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How much money should two people expect to spend per day staying pretty modestly in Seoul, not including the hotel room? I'm going next Thanksgiving for a wedding. I'm not sure how long it's going to be, anywhere from three days to a week. It's so far out that we don't know many details yet.

If you go to the Korean equivalent of a diner, an entree costs about 6 000 KRW ~ 7 000 KRW. I think the Big Mac set/combo (they call it a set in this part of the world) at McDonald's is like 4 600 KRW?

Fancy western restaurants charge about the same as back home.

quote:

I forgot to ask, do places tend to accept American Express there? I want to have a backup in case I underestimate and run out of money. Will I need to apply for something more common for that?

Korea has a very insular banking system because of cyber attacks from North Korea every few years or whatever. You will probably need to call your card people and let them know that you'll be here for whatever amount of time. Take your card to a convenience store or something and try to use it to buy some drinks or something so that you can make sure that it works fine. If it doesn't, you can call your bank/whatever and sort it out with them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, thanks. So what I'm getting is that as long as I make sure that American Express knows I'll be there, the stores/restaurants will likely accept it? I'll mainly be using cash or a debit card. We'll definitely be going to Korean restaurants, we can get western food back home.

I hate to even mention tipping because of how that always derails threads on this forum, but is tipping a thing in Korea? I think the bride was confused about tipping when she first came here, so I'm guessing no?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I know they take Visa, not sure about AmEx. Tipping isn't a thing there.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Unfunny Poster posted:

I didn't go to the peak of Seoraksan proper, I did Dino Ridge. I will say it was absolutely mind boggling that they didn't tell you anywhere in Korean or English at the start of the path it was an expert level path or that a dumb waygook who has a bad knee probably shouldn't do it.

That and I was a little annoyed at the English speaking tour guide who said "oh yeah you should be fine" and then over 14 hours later was like "oh wow...yeah that must've been tough."

There is a sign right at the start of the ascent to the dino ridge, after the bridge where the path forks between the canyon and the direct ascent. It assign it the highest difficulty rank and shows you an intimidating graph of the slope. It doesn't name the ridge in English though, and if you go through the canyon first it's not very clear that you're looping back to the path that sign described.

Worth it though yeah? Did you get to watch sunrise from the top? It's pretty awe-striking. Also, you've now done the most difficult stretch of trail in Korea, so you know you can handle anything else you try.

The summit itself is less special. It's cool, but just another tall peak in Korea. That ridge is the distinctive aspect of the mountain.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bugblatter posted:

There is a sign right at the start of the ascent to the dino ridge, after the bridge where the path forks between the canyon and the direct ascent. It assign it the highest difficulty rank and shows you an intimidating graph of the slope. It doesn't name the ridge in English though, and if you go through the canyon first it's not very clear that you're looping back to the path that sign described.

Worth it though yeah? Did you get to watch sunrise from the top? It's pretty awe-striking. Also, you've now done the most difficult stretch of trail in Korea, so you know you can handle anything else you try.

The summit itself is less special. It's cool, but just another tall peak in Korea. That ridge is the distinctive aspect of the mountain.

We must have missed that since none of us remember seeing any sign about its difficulty until the end. As for getting to see the sunrise, yeah we were about 4/5 of the way up one of the ridges when we saw the sunrise. It was pretty dope.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I would guess that most stores do not take American Express, actually. Visa/MC should be fine though.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm going to round some numbers here to be lazy.
lunch = 7k, as Love Stole the Day says, the diner-like places here and cheap and everywhere. you could get a fried rice meal and a kimbap for about 7k most places in the city.

Dinner = 15-20k. I'm assuming you'll probably eat out and try different restaurants. Most bbq places are about 10k-15k per person and then I'm assuming alcohol/cola will happen.

A subway ride is about 1,500won each way. I don't think it's unreasonable to think you may change locations a couple times a day, so x4 = 6,000

so that's looking like $30 usd for bare minimum. I think you would be okay at estimating $50 a day for anything else, like coffee, movies, or taxis.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

American express works fine. I use mine almost constantly to get those sweet points.

Also, if you have Saturday evening free come have Thanksgiving with us in Itaewon!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nullscan posted:

American express works fine. I use mine almost constantly to get those sweet points.

Also, if you have Saturday evening free come have Thanksgiving with us in Itaewon!

Where and when? I don't have my ARC yet and can't get a cellphone to access Kakao.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

nullscan posted:

It's time for the no effort Thanksgooning post 2k16!

First off, SIGN UP ON THE SPREADSHEET HERE IF YOU ARE EVEN PONDERING SHOWING UP! Better to have too much than not enough food!

When is this shindig?
November 26th, Last Saturday of November. Bit late, yeah, but most teachers aren't going to get Thursday off or anything. We'll be setting up and cooking around 2 or earlier, so just show up whenever? Food will be served around 6 to 7. Also, all are free to come the Friday before and help cook or just crash out at my place. I have plenty of room and blankets!

MENU
This year we're going super simpler, with down home catered cooking, grits, meats, casseroles and whatever else we can think of. Most of the standards will be catered from on base leaving the cooks time to make special sides. That being said, if anyone wants to bring something or come over the day before and help cook, you're more than welcome, just note it on the spreadsheet!

How many bitcoins is this going to run me?
Previous Turkeyparties have ran donations-only but generally 10k to 20k won is typical.

If you don't have any cash don't let that be a deterrent though, tis the season for feeding freeloaders and I'll make up the diff.

Where's it at?
Since I've been movin' on up, this year it'll be smack dab in the middle of Itaewon!

Using Naver or Daum you can get directions fairly easy, but it's just a few minutes from Itaewon Station. Try 75-5 Itaewon-dong or 21-3 Itaewon-ro 16-gil.

Accommodations!
As always, goons are free to crash on the floor if they desire. Or fight it out for Race Car Bed. I have a futon, couch, and another bed available as well. Otherwise, Itaewon Land is just up the street as well as a few motels in the area. If you're coming from out of town and need help just ask in thread or Kakao and we'll figure something out!

Allergwarnings

I do still have Goon Favorite cat Pablo and standoffish priss Beyori. I'll be sure to do a good cleanup the days before to limit cat dander and hair, and will also have allergy medication on hand if it gets too much for anyone.

Guess it's time for a reminder!

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Hey, I've got a visa question I was hoping you guys could help me out with. At least one Korean company has expressed interest in hiring me, but I believe I would need an E-4 technology expert visa (for work in IT). Unfortunately, it seems like you need five years of work experience to qualify, whereas I've only been out of school for four and a half... the company in question said they'd still be interested if the position was still open in July when I qualify, but I'm wondering if there's another way to get into the country without becoming an English teacher. I'm guessing that I would want to try to find an American company hiring for their offices there, which sounds... very specific.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

TsarZiedonis posted:

Hey, I've got a visa question I was hoping you guys could help me out with. At least one Korean company has expressed interest in hiring me, but I believe I would need an E-4 technology expert visa (for work in IT). Unfortunately, it seems like you need five years of work experience to qualify, whereas I've only been out of school for four and a half... the company in question said they'd still be interested if the position was still open in July when I qualify, but I'm wondering if there's another way to get into the country without becoming an English teacher. I'm guessing that I would want to try to find an American company hiring for their offices there, which sounds... very specific.

Make sure that it's not 5 years + HS / 3 years + college / 1 year + masters. That's the usual breakdown for "expert" visas. I got in on my E7 with college and 3 years.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

DontAskKant posted:

Make sure that it's not 5 years + HS / 3 years + college / 1 year + masters. That's the usual breakdown for "expert" visas. I got in on my E7 with college and 3 years.

Sorry, do you mean that education can count for part of the time requirements in the visa?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

TsarZiedonis posted:

Sorry, do you mean that education can count for part of the time requirements in the visa?

He's saying it was for him and it might be for you too so look into the details.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Cool, thanks!

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

TsarZiedonis posted:

For the E7, which is the general version of the one you're going after, the amount of work experience you need to show goes down with education level. It's this way for most job codes, with some variation. It might work for yours too. The immigration website has a foreign visa handbook that I found helpful.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

TsarZiedonis posted:

You too could probably get that E7, then if you're still here in a few years, switch to that E4.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

The E7 might be the most YMMV visa there is. It's sort of a catchall for a really diverse set of jobs and the requirements seem to be...flexible. There are a number of exceptions depending on your education level, rank of your university, your hiring company's size/history of proper tax payment/etc., relevant work experience, etc.

There are a lot of job codes that fall under the E7. If your company is motivated enough to hire you, there's probably a way to do it. Look around the job codes and find one that you think you can qualify for, then have the company massage the job posting/requirements in order to fit the job code. Sometimes it felt like a bit of a shell game while I was applying for mine, but in the end the immigration officers were very helpful and patient and it all worked out.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I'm teaching two literature classes for two classes (6th & 9th) and the teacher I replaced has them doing The Giver (6th) and Cat's Cradle (9th). The school asked what novels I'd suggest for next semester for either of them and I am drawing a blank for the 6th graders. They have copies of Tom Sawyer but as much as I love Twain it'd be way too difficult for them. Anyone have a suggestion/idea or a good spot to find comparable novels that could be used?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Call of the Wild?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Maybe gaimans graveyard book? It's been popular with some of my students

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stringent posted:

Call of the Wild?

Oooh good idea.

FelicityGS posted:

Maybe gaimans graveyard book? It's been popular with some of my students

I haven't heard of this but I'll check it out. I read the Wikipedia page and it seems pretty good from the general gist of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Unfunny Poster posted:

So I'm teaching two literature classes for two classes (6th & 9th) and the teacher I replaced has them doing The Giver (6th) and Cat's Cradle (9th). The school asked what novels I'd suggest for next semester for either of them and I am drawing a blank for the 6th graders. They have copies of Tom Sawyer but as much as I love Twain it'd be way too difficult for them. Anyone have a suggestion/idea or a good spot to find comparable novels that could be used?

Wayside School by Louis Sachar