Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That's a bit of an exaggeration. You don't have any leadership responsibility for a year or two while going through flight school, but as soon as you get to an operational squadron you'll most likely get tossed into a DIVO role with sailors and a chief and everything, just like a real officer.

Just let your chief do all the work. He'll love you for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Eh, theyre used to it.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

buttplug posted:

As an officer you're expected to be the motherfucker laying down direction for your junior folks. The Navy doesn't exist for you to come "find yourself" [as an officer]. Especially not when you're expected to be leading junior folks who are doing exactly that.

At the senior officer levels, yeah.

At the junior officer levels, your sailors will see you as "the paperwork person" if they see you at all.

The chiefs in the department provide the direction and leadership to the enlisted.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Get the gently caress outta here with that bullshit buttplug. Leadership isn't inherent, it's learned.

As a JO you're expected to show a desire to learn, to show initiative and critical thought, to develop as a leader, and to make mistakes and move on better for it.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That's a bit of an exaggeration. You don't have any leadership responsibility for a year or two while going through flight school, but as soon as you get to an operational squadron you'll most likely get tossed into a DIVO role with sailors and a chief and everything, just like a real officer.

This was a squadron I was in my last half of my enlistment. The difference was that we didn't have a chief or even a first class (e-6) in-between sometimes. As much as I think chiefs are self centered dicks, having a filter between the stupid and you is actually very desirable.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Boon posted:

Get the gently caress outta here with that bullshit buttplug. Leadership isn't inherent, it's learned.

As a JO you're expected to show a desire to learn, to show initiative and critical thought, to develop as a leader, and to make mistakes and move on better for it.

Remember, youre replying to m0t who is wrong about a frightening amount of things, such as the fact that leaders are made and not born. I doubt he will pick up on what youre telling him.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 22, 2016

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Just remember that often you'll have some competent E-5's who have embraced the absurdity of their situations and are entirely capable of handling everything independently and entirely transparent to your life.

These also are 99% of the time the ones who are out after their enlistment is up.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

Just remember that often you'll have some competent E-5's who have embraced the absurdity of their situations and are entirely capable of handling everything independently and entirely transparent to your life.

These also are 99% of the time the ones who are out after their enlistment is up.

Make sure they receive no award or recognition.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

Null Integer posted:

Quoted for truth. Two guys I worked with were absolute workhorses and we would have been up poo poo-creek without them. We had an e-6 who got demoted from POIC of our det and replaced by an E-5 and she was always organized. Like animal farm though workhorses get sold to glue factories.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Laranzu posted:

Oh boy. Today was 365 Kickoff Day!

"We have a great program. I think its a very rewarding program that provides a lot of benefits"
followed by
"Like every year, we need to focus on participation. As time goes on attendance drops. By the time Phase 2 happens, its around 1/3rd of the amount of people we had in the beginning. We need a focus on participation and motivation"

Maybe, just maybe, if participation and motivation suck every loving year, your program is bad.

I love this time of year so much =/
our 365 jqs is due on july 15th. my eaos is july 13th. guess what program I dont give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck about

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Null Integer posted:

A-loving men. Out of sight, out of mind, and they prefer to remain that way.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
http://www.ktvu.com/news/212878048-story

In shocking news medical turned a sailor away and now they're dead

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

maffew buildings posted:

quote:

Her family was told she suffered from cardiac arrest

Heart gets another!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I don't think the account of what happened on the ship was accurate, she wasn't given a sandwich baggie full of Motrin and some dramamine.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

Ya know. poo poo like this really gets me down. The EOD Chief being killed in Mosul just sucks, he signed up for badassery and passed away over it. Her though, she just wanted to serve and ended up doing paperwork on a carrier before passing, loving medical pretty much said "Nah, your fine, eat these pills." and then she died, it's just sad... It's like the memorial at Correy Station for the IT3 that was killed during a drive by, sailor doing normal stuff then loving dead...

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Someone asked "But why didn't the corpsman take into account the sweats and fever and chills?"

Because military medical you loving idiot.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I'm absolutely convinced that the only reason I didn't die from appendicitis is that it happened on a weekend, when the base clinic was closed, and I was able to go straight to the ER where they treated me appropriately.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lesson here is if you are absolutely certain something is wrong and medical is giving you static, go around them. (Unless youre on a deployed ship, in which case i hope you know one of the doctors and bypass seaman timmy at the desk)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Null Integer posted:

Ya know. poo poo like this really gets me down. The EOD Chief being killed in Mosul just sucks, he signed up for badassery and passed away over it. Her though, she just wanted to serve and ended up doing paperwork on a carrier before passing, loving medical pretty much said "Nah, your fine, eat these pills." and then she died, it's just sad... It's like the memorial at Correy Station for the IT3 that was killed during a drive by, sailor doing normal stuff then loving dead...

When was that?

That's a lot more tragic than that sailor who ran from the cops on a bike and drive into the back of a truck going 100+mph. Couldn't even make it to his first command.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

When was that?

That's a lot more tragic than that sailor who ran from the cops on a bike and drive into the back of a truck going 100+mph. Couldn't even make it to his first command.

Still a hero

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

When was that?

EOD Chief was this weekend,and the IT3 was sometime in 2014. Its a small memorial outside the gym by the bars near that forest road area. You've walked past it going to the NEX via the backgate.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

no bones about it posted:

Lesson here is if you are absolutely certain something is wrong and medical is giving you static, go around them. (Unless youre on a deployed ship, in which case i hope you know one of the doctors and bypass seaman timmy at the desk)

There is no doctor onboard the majority of ships at sea. The best thing anyone not on a carrier or amphib has is an IDC.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

There is no doctor onboard the majority of ships at sea. The best thing anyone not on a carrier or amphib has is an IDC.

Thats when you go relieve your gushing bodily fluids onto the CO's Sea Cabin door to get over to the carrier and not die.

*edit*: Then you die on the carrier with some more motrin.
Edit Edit: In a twist of fate the Motrin is what killed you due to exceeding the daily maximum.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Laranzu posted:

Thats when you go relieve your gushing bodily fluids onto the CO's Sea Cabin door to get over to the carrier and not die.

*edit*: Then you die on the carrier with some more motrin.
Edit Edit: In a twist of fate the Motrin is what killed you due to exceeding the daily maximum.

except that tons of small boys and subs are independently steaming. Better hope you're near a port or a helo and not alone in the middle of the pacific!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Null Integer posted:

EOD Chief was this weekend,and the IT3 was sometime in 2014. Its a small memorial outside the gym by the bars near that forest road area. You've walked past it going to the NEX via the backgate.

Huh. Never saw it.

Happy I chose Dam Neck over Pensacola for C school. This place is a polar opposite of Corry.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

except that tons of small boys and subs are independently steaming. Better hope you're near a port or a helo and not alone in the middle of the pacific!

Said dead woman wasnt on a small boy, there were probably no less than 4 or 5 actual MDs on the ship. If you are really sure you are hosed up i.e. matter of life and death, go around the dingus sitting at the desk and talk to one of the doctors. They might be momentarily upset but they will usually give you the time of day or check you out and realize something is wrong.

If youre on a small boy, im sorry thems the breaks, dont sign up to serve your country unless youre willing to die (for a stupid reason) for it. :patriot:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Oh I wasn't referencing the story, just that specific statement. I know that she wasn't in that situation.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Boon posted:

How is it bullshit? You're right, it IS learned. A boot ENS isn't going to know his/her rear end from his elbow on day one - good Chiefs and good senior officers will help fix that...that we can agree on. My ultimate point was that becoming an officer isn't the route to go "find yourself" when you get a division of 25 people thrown at you - many of whom are busy trying to "find themselves".

buttplug fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 27, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The first half of it was bullshit. The rest was accurate enough.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I found myself in bed twice this morning.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

quote:

If you go the NFO route you won't even smell a Sailor until you've been in for like 5 years. Aviators get very little leadership exposure early on in their career because they're busy flying.

Godholio posted:

The first half of it was bullshit. The rest was accurate enough.

It was meant to be an exaggeration, but not all that far off. By the time most aviators ever hit the fleet, your average SWO is wrapping up his/her first tour. I already had a warfare device and 18 months *at sea* running a division before any of my aviation friends ever winged.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I just got shown around the Zoomy and gently caress that thing is cool. Plus I guess my HSV 2 Swift ballcap is a collectable now.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

King of Bees posted:

I just got shown around the Zoomy and gently caress that thing is cool. Plus I guess my HSV 2 Swift ballcap is a collectable now.

Ships are awesome, even going down to a sub of the same class that I worked on for 5 years still feels like I'm seeing something loving awesome. I still need to wander down to the base and see a Carrier or something huge.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I got a tour of a sub and a cruiser last year and they were both magical. I'm sure even if I got to see another carrier it would still be cool, considering ours is covered in rust, mold and is literally falling apart.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Anita Dickinme posted:

I got a tour of a sub and a cruiser last year and they were both magical. I'm sure even if I got to see another carrier it would still be cool, considering ours is covered in rust, mold and is literally falling apart.

You should tour an amphib, you'd feel right at home.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just toured the Wisconsin. Battleships are cool.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

All carriers are covered in rust, mold, and literally falling apart.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Enjoying civilian life. I frequently see Chiefs and make a point of calling them dude. In the elevator, one grinned and said he goes by "Chief". I said I know.

I still interact occasionally with buttplug though he knows not what I look like, I plan on calling him dude in the near future, or possibly "buttplug".

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Analogical posted:

Enjoying civilian life. I frequently see Chiefs and make a point of calling them dude. In the elevator, one grinned and said he goes by "Chief". I said I know.

I still interact occasionally with buttplug though he knows not what I look like, I plan on calling him dude in the near future, or possibly "buttplug".

Just subtly start praising kurds and you'll get a reaction of some sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Analogical posted:

Cool. We go on a first name or nickname basis here.

• Locked thread